PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout HD Rivalry / Dislikes

jimsin
10th September 2009, 02:15 AM
I love most forms of motor racing - but what excites me about it isn't the cars themselves, but rather the personalities of the drivers and the rivalry that exists between them. Racing becomes so much more intense when there is a clash of egos and the drivers feel that they have something to prove on the track.

Now when playing Wipeout HD online, I've had some very brutal and intense races against various other contenders, but I tend to have the attitude in Wipeout that 'anything goes', and I've never felt any dislike for another pilot (although certainly I like some more than others).

I was just wondering if this is the case for everybody - or if there are simmering grudges out there on the leaderboard? Other pilots that you feel a particular urge to eliminate at any given opportunity?

I don't think that it would be healthy to bring anybody's name into it - but am definitely curious in general terms, as to whether it's all fun and games, or whether there's any sort of road rage going on between certain players?

BlochNWhitey
10th September 2009, 02:24 AM
I honestly like everyone on here, even the over-confident ones. ;) My issue is I just don't like partaking in competition, I think it kind of.. ruins the game for me, and i know 99% of the others on here won't agree. I merely play to beat my own times and enjoy getting better and better at each corner.

abukii
10th September 2009, 02:38 AM
Nicely put, Jimsin. Im sure you can get an idea of what kind of pilot I am just having played me against me a few times. I never hold grudges for the simple fact that WipEout is ever changing. "Pilot" may win a few rounds, but "Pilotx" will win the next few. Quite simply put, I race "tit for tat"; If you whail on me, Im going to whail back. If you want to race, I'll race ya. If you want a blodd bath, then pack a lunch cuz Ima bring it:beer :rock
Case and point, I go with the flow...although, it is good fun exchanging fire from time to time :nod Especially when you know that its "all good".

RedScar
10th September 2009, 03:47 AM
I just go for revenge kills, the old "eye for an eye" mentality :)

chboing
10th September 2009, 08:16 AM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5645

;)

Vartazian
10th September 2009, 08:35 AM
Ive made Many an Enemy on the tracks. And I dont regret it. Gives me more Insentive to Reduce other ships to Scrap metal.

Rivalry is why I play the game.

Actually Some people already know this but when I race I have Primary "Targets" Ill Purposley slow down and hinder my own performance to destroy this other person and Greatly hinder their race experience.

It is the ultimate thrill!

karsten_beoulve
10th September 2009, 08:54 AM
personally i never had any problem with anyone online... the only 2-3 that pissed me were a couple of high level racers (lv 40-50-60) that would change the race kind from flash or rapier to phantom after getting the room full of average/low level players... all with the 3 second before racestart.

i remember a german (i have nothing aginst german... my grandmother is german and my mother austrian) that became the host of a group of 4 lv1 players, 3 around lv 10, and himself at lv 50... he changed the tournament from venom to phantom with 3 seconds startup... needless to say that he was actually time-trialling alone after the second race...

actually at half of the first race 4 people had left already... :D these are the only things pissing me off. i played it off to the end tought, and managed to end withing 30 seconds after the winner all time :D

beside that i never get too much pissed at people for shooting me or for the battle frenzy... i mostly get pissed at the bad luck of getting hit by a random shot from incredibly far.

yeldar2097
10th September 2009, 11:15 AM
...Ill Purposley slow down and hinder my own performance to destroy this other person and Greatly hinder their race experience.

Next time we race could you actually try putting that into practice... Usually you shoot me then scamper off up the track laying mines/bombs all over the shop ;) Slow down next time...I won't shoot you...promise :P
Actually I probably won't ;)

Aeroracer
10th September 2009, 02:21 PM
I love all players in wipeout generaly. They are all nice and all too fast, the more i play the more i like the game. Its good to play a game where the players are so skillful and hard to beat, it makes the game so much more addictive.:nod:nod:nod

The only thing i dont like in wipeout is bad losers who get abusive :turd and ungracious winners who have no manners:turd .Luckily i havnt really met many of those..

finngers
10th September 2009, 02:21 PM
Blowing people up in races and staying in the middle of the pack is well more fun than winning to me so i dunno if people don't like me but every message ive got has been nice so i think this game is pretty chill and i be nice back, i played the ufc game for a bit and half the messages were like '**** u bitch' which was funny for a bit but got old after a while so this is a nice change :)

Rapier Racer
10th September 2009, 02:34 PM
Actually Some people already know this but when I race I have Primary "Targets" Ill Purposley slow down and hinder my own performance to destroy this other person and Greatly hinder their race experience.

It is the ultimate thrill!

I used to do that, then Pulse came along and ruined it with its soft crappy weaponry. However I was also chasing these targets, you make it sound like your mr invincible never out of first place...? Or you target weaker players on purpose.

Now its more a case of winning, I also like hunting down people who constantly ram into and try to bash me around.

Darkdrium777
10th September 2009, 02:49 PM
Rapier: It's Vartazian. He does that to troll a little I guess :p (And it works :lol)
As long as he doesn't proclaim himself Mr Worldwide Number One in every other post... ;)

Besides, who never slowed down to shoot someone? :D

yeldar2097
10th September 2009, 03:03 PM
Guilty as charged :lol
If someone get's the 'quaker' badge and in the process buggers my race I tend to send a few special packages their way :P all in good fun of course :nod

Whizzer The Hawk
10th September 2009, 05:16 PM
AG SYSTEMS must die! :rock

Whizzer The Hawk
10th September 2009, 05:24 PM
Besides, who never slowed down to shoot someone? :D

I have to admitt I was leading a race on Sol 2, and I picked up a quake and slowed down for this player using AG Systems. I quaked him and he fell off the track. :lol :rock

Aeroracer
10th September 2009, 05:47 PM
how can you have a persoanl hate problem with ag systems. its just a ship the game.please explain:nod

eLhabib
10th September 2009, 06:21 PM
AG SYSTEMS must die! :rock

Word! :pirate

RedScar
10th September 2009, 06:47 PM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa, what did AG-S ever do to you? Lucky for me (or unlucky) I rarely have to slow down to shoot someone, since I'm usually mid pack anyway lol.

Darkdrium777
10th September 2009, 07:13 PM
It has weak shields and explodes nicely when plasma'ed :g
AG-Systems is usually the one that dies whenever it's racing against me (AI, and online sometimes I happen to shoot it too.)

Whizzer The Hawk
10th September 2009, 07:27 PM
I do not have a personal hate with AG-Systems. I am role-playing in the WipEout world. :? Everyone needs a rival team, no matter how uncompetetive you are - there will always be one you hate. :beer

Whizzer The Hawk
10th September 2009, 07:28 PM
It has weak shields and explodes nicely when plasma'ed :g
AG-Systems is usually the one that dies whenever it's racing against me (AI, and online sometimes I happen to shoot it too.)

That is my point Darkdrium. AG-Systems always gets in the way and overtakes. :brickwall

Lance
10th September 2009, 07:58 PM
AG-S invented anti-grav racing; c'mon give 'em a break. :)

Vartazian
10th September 2009, 08:04 PM
I used to do that, then Pulse came along and ruined it with its soft crappy weaponry. However I was also chasing these targets, you make it sound like your mr invincible never out of first place...? Or you target weaker players on purpose.

Actually I usually Set My targets for the other fastest players on the track. People who are usually a threat. If not I usually just zip ahead anyways.

No Im not Mr. Invincible, No Im not worldwide champion I just like Killing other players. Race me, You will see what I mean.

Amorbis
10th September 2009, 08:16 PM
On the subject of blowing people up I have to say I'm quite partial to a bit of eliminating. I enjoy getting people with plasmas that are a few lengths away and to then see their ship blow up in a satisfying cloud of ship parts. I don't target people, though. If I have a weapon I'll use it but I won't go out of my way, such as slowing down, to make use of a weapon.

However, eliminator mode is a different story. Anyone that's played with me on that might know what I mean :robot

Vartazian
10th September 2009, 08:18 PM
Amorbis you also fly Pirahna which is like a Flying Tank.. Well I guess thats Triakis, You know what I mean :P

Amorbis
10th September 2009, 09:17 PM
A flying tank is better than a paper aeroplane, at least it is for me. The high shield has saved me from a lot of sticky situations I'm sure. I don't really hate any ships as they all have their uses, but Piranha seems to work well for me. I have picked up on the AG Systems hate, it is true that a lot of people use it. But if it wasn't AG Systems it would have to be another team to be the people's favourite, so I'm not going to be too harsh on it.

yeldar2097
10th September 2009, 10:14 PM
Menolike G45 because they always seem to end up at the front of the starting grid...

Fair enough in tournaments though :P

Whizzer The Hawk
10th September 2009, 10:37 PM
AG-S invented anti-grav racing; c'mon give 'em a break. :)

Even if they did Lance, think of us anti-AG-System racers as a rebellion. :rock

jimsin
10th September 2009, 11:53 PM
Apologies for posting this thread when there was another similar one from before - but I guess it has brought it back, and there have been a lot of fun, interesting posts which I've enjoyed reading.

When I made this post, I was thinking about more negative rivalries such as Senna/Prost or more recently Hamilton/Alonso in F1 - or Rossi/Biaggi in Moto GP - but yes, thinking about more friendly rivalries I'd definitely have to say Jasmin Jade - some people I can never catch up with - others I always beat - but Jasmin always seems to be just ahead, just behind, or scraping my paintwork.

Other than that, I also tend to want to beat people who I never see on the Zone Forums, so don't know anything about - people like seanywauny, JJohnEames, PEPEDA, oolproo, & DarkseidMD - unfortunately they are still a bit too fast for me, so it only happens when I'm lucky :(

Aeroracer
11th September 2009, 12:51 AM
correct me if i am wrong but i played seanywauny and he appears from what i have seen to only enjoy playing absolute beginners on slow speed class where his victory is guaranteed. I have never seen him in a real competetive game with the players here where vicory would be extremly hard for him.

@jimsin..our rivarly is good i practice i beat you, you practice you beat me..we both get better soon we will be beating others that were originally out of our reach:nod:nod

@varti....i can vouch for him..if you are close to him he will lay it thick and blow you off the track..if you are slow he will leave you alone.Very hard player to take anything from.

Motorsagmannen
11th September 2009, 03:38 AM
i get aggressive versus people in icaras :g
usually nothing personal behind it, but its sooo many online that use it. i feel its an obligation as a piranha racer to do everything in my might to wipe them off the face of the earth.
feed me:P

Whizzer The Hawk
11th September 2009, 04:18 AM
Pffft! I beg to differ! I'll show you the true meaning of Flying High - watch this space. ;)

@varti....i can vouch for him..if you are close to him he will lay it thick and blow you off the track..if you are slow he will leave you alone.Very hard player to take anything from.

In one lap of Anulpha Pass Reverse Varti was behind me and I received: Rockets, 2 missiles, a quake all in the backside, and he shot ahead of me and layed some mines to finish me off... :(

Didn't take him long because of my weak shields...

Darkdrium777
11th September 2009, 04:41 AM
Please try not to double post at four minutes interval :)

Vartazian
11th September 2009, 05:23 AM
In one lap of Anulpha Pass Reverse Varti was behind me and I received: Rockets, 2 missiles, a quake all in the backside, and he shot ahead of me and layed some mines to finish me off... :(

Didn't take him long because of my weak shields...

http://snp.bpb.de/referate/mk4.gif

Rapier Racer
11th September 2009, 04:16 PM
Could be interesting.... Varti m'lad

If your talking about teams, then Piranha can rot, according to the story Piranha were jealous of our high maneuverability, they couldn't get that same maneuverability themselves so bought and absorbed my team. But look what happened you bit off more than you could chew you stupid fish... consider yourselves speared. :robot

yeldar2097
11th September 2009, 11:21 PM
*reads story

nope...still lost :g

abukii
14th September 2009, 12:42 PM
I have a rival right now...its name is the HD+ AI...tough bugger, some would call it 'elite'. Yet I try,try, try. One of these days, I will conquer him (or her):beer

Aeroracer
14th September 2009, 03:47 PM
I havnt had too much of a problem with elite phantom races so far but i havnt tried them all.but i dont like them cos they are so unrealistic and cheat.
weapons seem to not have the same effect and basically when i race elite AI i just imagine im doing a time trial and fly threw them..

i got 6 reverses left to do.i didnt even know you had to play reverse till my trophey never poped up and i read requiremnts.:nod

abukii
14th September 2009, 05:25 PM
Lol... I am going for elite campaign Legend. So far, Sembenco Rapier and Phantom are just EVIL. Ill get to 2nd place and then Ill get mined,bombed,missled and plasmaed inside of 2 seconds...rather frustrating.

Aeroracer
14th September 2009, 06:51 PM
I was talking about arcade elite trophey..That elite Hd campaign Yuk Yuk all those slow races on elite..dont know if i could stomach that..

Koleax
30th September 2009, 02:12 AM
correct me if i am wrong but i played seanywauny and he appears from what i have seen to only enjoy playing absolute beginners on slow speed class where his victory is guaranteed. I have never seen him in a real competetive game with the players here where vicory would be extremly hard for him.
Funny you mention this. I was hosting him with Chenghou and Sebenco on Phantom a couple times each, then Ubermall on Phantom once, and then thought I'd switch it up with Ubermall on Venom, on which I finally beat him.

I gave everyone plenty of time to see that I changed the class, so don't say I was trying to trick anyone! Just upset their rhythm is all.

PEPEDA on eliminator is gradually becoming my nemesis, but I'm learning a lot from him about eliminator tactics. He has a rhythm, though, too. He likes certain parts of the track more than others. You can predict where he's going to turn around. I think he knows me, too, since I've plasma bolted him a lot and that must really irritate him. Anyway, I get the speed pad hunter badge a lot on eliminator, because I like that safe lead, so he has learned to stake out the area in front of speed pads, as opposed to the adjacent weapons pads, when he knows I'm near now, it seems.

Vartazian on Zone Battle. I kept getting second place to him last night, but it was really far second place, so I don't feel that bad. Actually, most second place finishes on zone battle must be far behind, huh? Still I never felt that close, but maybe with some more effort.

juliaa, she was the first person I played against and the first person to beat me. It was on reverse Chenghou, which I had only tried once before. I have to relearn it and beat her on reverse Chenghou just because it sticks in my memory.

I don't dislike anyone. It's all been very friendly with quality competition. I love playing Wipeout online.

IDReaper
30th September 2009, 11:59 AM
I think I am pretty safe in saying there really isn't anyone I dislike racing versus online. They all blow up good and the same. =D However I wouldn't doubt I've made a few enemies here and there since when I race cambodia rides shotgun.

Kyonshi
1st October 2009, 12:28 PM
My greatest rival is nothing out of hate and he's also someone from who im learning from: Vartazian. He's also a fellow member of the North American team and we have the same vision of racing; to win and nothing else. **** being lower than 1st place, we want it all. Eliminating opponents is just another way to state our experienced skills :D

Clashes between us has always been the coolest races, and since i've been racing against him (and the rest of my and other teams), my racing line and times has considerably improved. ;)

QjonPL
1st October 2009, 05:15 PM
My greatest rivals are alle those chickening n00bz, escaping from Zone Battle duels when they're loosing 40zones vs 10 (playing to 55) ;/

Vartazian
2nd October 2009, 09:47 AM
1 Im flattered Kyon
2 Qjon, Looking for a good zone battle round? hit me up....