PDA

View Full Version : Holy @(#&!!! It's been a YEAR?

IH8YOU
6th September 2009, 09:56 AM
Do not tell me I've been playing this game for nearly a year now - it seems like it came out.... just a couple of months ago.

How is this possible?

So one year on, the game has changed a lot - for both better and worse, and we got the "promised expansion" with Fury - now I ask - is the franchise still alive and well? Is there still blood pressure pulsating through the veins of Studio Liverpool working on the next installment in the PS3 Wipeout franchise?

Let's reminisce, reflect, regret the time we've lost, relationships we've strained - and wonder what's coming next? :nod

Vartazian
6th September 2009, 10:09 AM
Ive pissed off alot of people
Gotten Alot Faster
Made some good friends
Set a Few Records
Its been a good 6 months for Vartazian.

yeldar2097
6th September 2009, 10:29 AM
i played it for a week, got bored, came back 6 months later...bad move :g

met some loverly people but halved the amount of people i get on with by annoying the french... hmmmmm :lol
nevertheless the rest of you are all loverly :P

at the end of the day i'm still here. nuff said really. WOHD = win

OBH
6th September 2009, 11:18 AM
now yeldar holds a number of records!

WO really is going downhill :g

SaturnReturn
6th September 2009, 11:23 AM
True, as the game has developed over the past year, it's clearly been tailored towards the noobs, like yeldar. ;)

mdhay
6th September 2009, 11:23 AM
After a year of playing HD, two years on this forum and 13 years of my life spent playing wipEout altogether, I can safely say that wipEout will always be played by someone.:g

leungbok
6th September 2009, 11:24 AM
met some loverly people but halved the amount of people i get on with by annoying the french... hmmmmm :lol

That can annoy frenchies or other people is your unstopable seeking for recognition. Like when you participate at venom speedlap's contests on other website :rolleyes:

RedScar
6th September 2009, 05:06 PM
Detonator is my favorite piece of WO, although it is underplayed I still love it to death so good on SL for that. I've gotten a lot faster then when I first hit phantom, still have a long way to go to catch TCK,yeld,vart,etc but I can get there....maybe.
I hope SL is working on "more stuff" because they have a AAA game in their hands that deserves so more loving.

billychanxtr33m
6th September 2009, 05:55 PM
ive only had wipeout hd for this summer, but it is by FAR my favorite ps3 game (sry valkyria chronicles) psn or not. i devoured the fury content and wanted more pretty much as soon as i was done with that grid. even though i cant play it because im not home right now, hd will probably be the only game i play once im on break.

its hard to imagine that i almost didnt get hd. :robot

i downloaded the demo just to give it a whirl. after seeing the kind of bland title screen, the grid based single player, and the hexagon fetish i thought- "so its just pulse in hd meh." after doing a few laps around the track and seeing just how great the game looked though, i went from not interested to kind of interested. feeling the much more complicated ship physics also kind of sold me on it. i figured if the game was <or=20$ i would buy it. it just so happend that it was 20$ so i got it. now i really got to see what an amazing game hd was, and how much more than pulse it was. single player wasnt just a bunch of grids, it was also tons of really challenging trophies for you to test you limits on. zone mode, which was nothing but a hassle to me in pulse, was now an audio/visual experience on par with audio surf. and best of all, online was not only populated, it actually fscking worked!!!1(usually it does anyways) and leaderboards make all the difference. ive gotten all the skins and grid golds on both hd and pulse, but im only still playing one of them. :rock

stinkleroy
7th September 2009, 01:31 PM
What a great thread Anthony, this has actually inspired me to post for the first time in weeks, so thank you :)

Yes it's been almost a year, although for me it feels a lot longer! I remember the day of release, sat at home waiting for the psn store to update, checking every minute haha...then it arrived....it crashed the store so many peole were trying to access it...ah happy days. First thing I did with HD was have a few venom races and then went straight online, it was too tempting not to. The days of my 2097 rampage left me with a desire to play against others, test my skills...find out if I was actually any good at wipeout at all, and it turned out out was. I knew it!! :p

I was a lone rapier ranger for a long time because I didn't find this place until pointed here by L&P in January...and it was here that my wipeout journey really began. I've met some great people here, made some good friends for hopefully what wil be a long time to come and even though my interest in this game has definately left me for the time being, you all remain good friends and I still get to hang out with you guys :)

I'd like to thank Rob, for all of this, without your site I wouldn't know any of these fantastic people and I probably wouldn't have played Wipeout for as long as I have.

So....thank you too :)

OBH
7th September 2009, 02:04 PM
I dont think ive ever found a game that makes me so overly competative when i play, and im generally a pretty competative lad. No matter how good you are, an early rocket in your back, and a cleverly planted bomb in your face can totally ruin you on lap one.

That may annoy the hell out of some people, but its looking for the best way to avoid the sheer madness of lap 1 that keeps me coming back time, and time again. Then you have another 4 laps to navigate! :g

No one is ever 100% guarenteed a win in WO, ever, no matter how good you are. Cant ask for better competition, then to stir the pot further you find bitter (but very friendly!) rivals around every corner :)

abukii
7th September 2009, 04:50 PM
Wow...stinkleroy has pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly:beer

I wasnt lucky enough to get HD at launch, I had to wait a week or 2. But when I got it, I played the snot out of it. Ive been playing WipEout since day 1, so a PS3 release was a MUST GET. Before HD, it was a lot of Pulse, as they discontinued it in the USA, it was hard to find. I finally got a copy last Summer and played that religiously (still do).:!

With the release of Fury, I picked that up on day 1. I think it took 3 days to complete (+/-). Needless to say, I know for a fact that Ill be 80 years old and still playing. Ill look at my forearm and see my AG-5Y5 tat and grab a controller/PSP.

SL, Keep the content coming:clap

Kyonshi
7th September 2009, 05:22 PM
As far as im concerned, i'd say the WipEout legacy is alive more than ever. This is THE game im playing as soon as i got a minute, during lunchbreak, as soon as i get back home from work and until its freakin 2 am i gotta go back to sleep cuz i work at 8h30 :brickwall

With the introduction of online competition, the franchise couldn't get better than this. The WipEout community is dynamic and pleasant, and it brings support to the title on a level that SL couldn't have expected. This aspect contributes greatly to keep the hype alive for lot of years to come, as well as pushing SL developers to create and improve WipEout franchise to a better form. They are seeing what's going here on the forum, and if they ever wondered if the franchise still deserves considerable attention, the answer can't be clearer than that :D

I've been playing WipEout games since Day 1 with wipE'ouT'' and at my great satisfaction, playing them all from there still brings me a lot of fun! I'd say the franchise grew old very well, even if i completely lost the edge and abilities i had for WipEout XL. I also bought Wip3out recently and i found out that i tremendously SUCK beyond comprehension :lol But its still thrilling as it was back in the days!

With WipEout HD/Fury, i also made a lot of cool friends to play with, something i never experienced on another game boards (see my thread "What a great community it is!") SL have my full support and my only wish is that WipEout lives eternally and towers above the racing game genre as being the best and most competitive out there!:clap Yes it dare to say that! :rock

KIGO1987
7th September 2009, 05:36 PM
Never really took that into recognition that it has been a year,

Also should take into recognition that it will be 24months ago that Wipeout Pulse has been released too in November this year. Damn time flys, also suggests you shouldnt waste it too. Shame ive had an extremely shitty internet connection during this time frame, plagued with vista pads and crappy laggy gameplay. Thats why i just enjoy the game offline rather that online. It's been good during this time frame though, meet alot of nice people, some real arseholes with double standards too, but its been good.

Good times ahead:beer

Lance
7th September 2009, 06:28 PM
~~~ to stir the pot further you find bitter (but very friendly!) rivals around every corner :)

Bitterly friendly? ;)

OBH
7th September 2009, 07:55 PM
exactly! :g its a love-hate relationship! you cant hold grudges for "that rocket" against people so friendly. :)

edit:
damn! ruined my 777 post count! was going to see if it brought me great luck on the track xD

KIGO1987
7th September 2009, 08:01 PM
wait for your 2097 post then OBL.

lunar
7th September 2009, 08:49 PM
Well I really just want to second Stinkleroy`s feelings on this - great post. Particularly this bit:

I'd like to thank Rob, for all of this, without your site I wouldn't know any of these fantastic people and I probably wouldn't have played Wipeout for as long as I have.
So....thank you too :)

Very very true for me too. :beer

ACE-FLO
7th September 2009, 09:38 PM
:) @ BillyChan: Angry Pulse Warriors are currently conspiring to enter the FX350 in order to Plasma Phuck your ships' thrusters, in the most friendly and efficient manner possible!

A Bitter but Friendly Ace.

(not really, lol just kidding)

---

Well, I been playing Pulse for about 10 months now, I think. And yeah, time flies when you're having fun. Granted - online could be a lil busier, but I do manage to get to race with the fastest Pulse pilots ever! And that's just too damn awesome imo! :rock

IH8YOU
8th September 2009, 03:25 AM
It's been touched on, and I'm ashamed I didn't say it up front - pathetic as this may sound, I've made a lot of good friends through this game.

I'm not talking about "oh, he/she's cool to play with" - I'm talking about people who know where I live, who I talk to almost every day - even people I'm going to fly across the ocean to hang out with eventually.

I don't believe you'd find this in any other game, it's truly unique from my perspective. I can count the amount of "jerks" played online (including myself) on one hand - in nearly a year. In other games, I'd be mind-blown if I found just one person who wasn't an @$$ during the entire experience.

Something about this franchise attracts a different type of person - and for all my griping about this game - I'm glad we got it.

Now I hope that Studio Liverpool is working on the next iteration of Wipeout - something that won't let this franchise die off quietly, or turn away those of us who took 15 years to get here. Maybe even something us "old pilots" can look forward too. I don't even have to say it, you all know what I'm thinking.

KIGO1987
8th September 2009, 08:23 AM
Though the game has gone a bit stale for multiple reasons,

Still ive have made a heap of mates to here,

and also have had the best msn messenger chat sessions as well, always a good laugh, hasn't it been guys :D:D:D:D :lol XD

"personal problems????!!? your ten, you don't have personal problems" :lol

"i hate that guys face" XD

"Jasmin-jade-is-INFAXSU" :lol

Good times ahead.:beer Shame you guys don't live around here, could have awesome pissups and all.

Bytehawk
8th September 2009, 10:49 AM
One year eh ?

It doesn't seem that long. But of all the games I bought in the past 2 years this is the only one I keep on playing. It just gets better and better over time. I can't see me quitting Wipeout for at least another year. Maybe when Wipeout 2 arrives I might put this one aside.