PDA

View Full Version : Back up you game save data pre system 3.00 update

blackwiggle
27th August 2009, 02:59 PM
I got a heads up from those in the know.

The system 3.0 update is going to be big,it will not be a optional upgrade,you will have to get it.

It makes a lot of changes.

Better safe than sorry.

Recommend you all Upload your Wipeout game save data to a USB drive of some sort,be it a stick drive or outboard HD prior to Sept 1

Release date for system 3.00 is slated between Sept 1 & 3

DividedXZero
27th August 2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the head up!

Btw: anywhere we can read on 3.00 update details?
i've seen the demo of 3.00 but i wish to find a detailed list of what features and changes it would include.

Lance
27th August 2009, 03:59 PM
Another update? sheesh. I hope Sony are through with this crap by the time I want to buy a PS3 Slim. Looking on the bright side, any optional updates, I could just ignore. :D

Rapier Racer
27th August 2009, 04:02 PM
I don't actually remember the last time there was a mandatory update, anyone?

Aeroracer
27th August 2009, 04:32 PM
these updates bore me.the amounts of times ps3 and 360 update is silly.i like just wanna play a game and it takes ages to start.
wish updates could be done in the background.:dizzy

okam
27th August 2009, 04:38 PM
The slim should come with the 3.0 update allready installed, so I don't think you would have to deal with any large updates anytime soon. But don't forget that you can download updates to a USB thumbdrive and install from that - for me that's usually been faster than going via the PS3 update function.

Lance
27th August 2009, 04:41 PM
What's the filesize on the usual update?

Rapier Racer
27th August 2009, 04:44 PM
Over 100megs if memory serves me correctly 130-160

Lance
27th August 2009, 04:57 PM
Fairly chunky, but at least it's not gigabyte sized. It's whole different world from the PSX/Dreamcast era, when 1 meg was huuuuuge.

SaturnReturn
27th August 2009, 05:23 PM
Updates can be pretty annoying. Game updates especially, because whenever I go back to a game I haven't played in a while, I have to update it. I needed a 600MB update for Pacific Rift the other day, which didn't seem to have done anything noticeable once installed. Then Little Big Planet needed 5 separate updates, and again, no difference was noticed. I agree with jasmin (for once :P), background updates would be nice, even if they were to only let me play offline while they were happening.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up blackwiggle - will probably back up my whole system, as I haven't for a while.

Kyonshi
27th August 2009, 05:30 PM
I've found details about update 3.0, if anyone's interested. Its confirmed being official anouncement from Sony.

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=22038

Aeroracer
27th August 2009, 06:27 PM
opps..almost forgot..thanks blackwiggle for this helpful tip..i couldnt handle playing for all those boring medals again to unlock the tracks and ships.:dizzy:dizzy

Darkdrium777
27th August 2009, 06:51 PM
The slim should come with the 3.0 update already installedIt comes with 2.76. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gIiu_IEQPs)

okam
27th August 2009, 08:10 PM
When it comes to playing/updating old games, I know there will be a patch/update/installation required so I just mentally prepare for it, sucks a little bit less that way :P

What I absolutely hate though, is downloading game demos from PSN and then having to update them before I can play. FFS put the latest version up there! Even tiny game demos can have 50-100 MB patches sometimes, ugh!

BTW someone in the link posted earlier said something about no backwards compatability, and listed a whole bunch of PS1 games he wanted to play. They aren't taking out PS1 compatability are they? I'm hoping this guy just doesn't know (all?) PS3s can play PS1 games (seems like a lot of people aren't aware of that).

Frances_Penfold
27th August 2009, 08:36 PM
Question for y'all about PS3 data saving.

I understand there is the backup utility for backing up all of the contents of the hard drive. I recently bought an external, USB-connected hard drive and will be using this for regular PS3 backups in the future.

I also have used the option to save my WOHD game profile to a USB memory stick. This is easy enough-- select the file and hit options, then copy.

My question is whether there is an easy way to backup ALL of the save data related to WOHD (i.e., including the ghosts) to a USB memory stick WITHOUT having to go through the long list of files and copy them over individually.

Maybe I am just stupid but I could not figure out how to do this last week when I was doing a back up :)

Edit--

BTW someone in the link posted earlier said something about no backwards compatability, and listed a whole bunch of PS1 games he wanted to play. They aren't taking out PS1 compatability are they?

Lordy, I sure hope not. Isn't PS1 compatibility on the PS3 entirely software based? It would seem... punitive... for Sony to kill PS1 support.

PoliPino
27th August 2009, 09:18 PM
From what I understood the PS3 (and PS2 for that matter) uses the PS1 microprocessor as its IO controller. So PS1 compatibility is just about automatic.

Also, here's the 'official' word from playstation.com:
PlayStation 3 Firmware (v3.00) Update (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/18/playstation-3-firmware-v3-00-update/)

Darkdrium777
27th August 2009, 11:11 PM
PS1 compatibility isn't going away.

I don't believe there is a way to back up WipEout HD saves exclusively without going through the long list of files. You'd have to back up every save with the backup utility.

YouAreFubar
27th August 2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up, although im concerned that I seem to remember hearing that you cant back up certain save files. I think Killzone 2 was the main culprit, and since ive completed it on elite after hours and hours of playing, I dont really want to lose my save file.

Bytehawk
28th August 2009, 09:08 PM
there is another way, disconnect the ps3 from the net
monitor this board and see if anyone has a problem updating
if after a week noone has any problems it's safe to upgrade

:)
the only bad: you won't be able to play WO online until you upgrade

DrMannevond
28th August 2009, 09:27 PM
About backing up everything WO in one go :
I haven't tried this, but I know you can sort all your game data into game-specific folders (options, square something I think), so it might be possible to do that and then just copy the folder instead of each individual file.

Edit : Just tried it. Doesn't work. Guess I'll have to copy my 70(!!) wipeout files individually:brickwall

Frances_Penfold
28th August 2009, 09:39 PM
Yeah, Dr. M., this is what I concluded as well. Probably my biggest gripe with the PS3 firmware ATM. Seems like a really stupid oversight.

I don't believe there is a way to back up WipEout HD saves exclusively without going through the long list of files. You'd have to back up every save with the backup utility.

Thanks, Darkdrium :) Glad to know it wasn't just me missing something.

RedScar
28th August 2009, 09:49 PM
FYI the only file you actually have to back up is your main campain file. The rest are just ghosts which while important, can be redone. You won't lose your time on the record boards. I did this when I sent my PS3 BD player died and I sent it in for repairs and had no problems when I put it on the formatted HDD.

Frances_Penfold
28th August 2009, 09:57 PM
That's a good point, RedScar ;)

I do have a few WipEout ghosts that are "precious" but nothing on WOHD yet. I suppose I could keep a list of those that were valuable and manually back them up.

RedScar
28th August 2009, 10:03 PM
Well you can still backup your ghost files, it just takes a very long time since you have to select each individual file and back it up. Sony needs to fix that, allowing you to save the save game date in folder. I don't get why they don't allow it, since you have the ability to sort your saved data by folder why can't you save it the same way?

sh1kamaru-
29th August 2009, 08:38 AM
that's just plain stupid :/

Connavar
29th August 2009, 05:16 PM
You can always create a backup of the whole PS3 HDD :D

SaturnReturn
29th August 2009, 05:45 PM
Could you take the HDD out, put it in a usb enclosure, and copy the files across to PC manually? Then would you also be able to copy them back the same way? Anyone know?

May be a bit extreme for some but if someone really wanted to back up all their ghosts and already had an enclosure then it could be worth it.

Bytehawk
29th August 2009, 08:09 PM
not possible, the pc can't read the ps3 filesystem

RedScar
29th August 2009, 08:14 PM
Connavar's plan is still the best but it requires an external HDD or memory stick large the the PS3 can detect and is enough to store the data. My external has the room but my PS3 won't detect it sadly.

Frances_Penfold
29th August 2009, 08:30 PM
Really? That sucks.

I just got a new 1 TB hard drive, in part to back up my PS3. Hope it actually is readable by the PS3! :dizzy

Jguesty94
29th August 2009, 09:36 PM
Connavar's plan is still the best but it requires an external HDD or memory stick large the the PS3 can detect and is enough to store the data. My external has the room but my PS3 won't detect it sadly.

What format is it in?

I'm guessing you already know this, but it needs to be in FAT32 for your PS3 to recognise it. And if you have it on whatever the other format is and want to change it, you'll lose all of the data that's on the HDD.

KIGO1987
30th August 2009, 07:30 AM
I got a heads up from those in the know.

The system 3.0 update is going to be big,it will not be a optional upgrade,you will have to get it.

It makes a lot of changes.

Better safe than sorry.

Recommend you all Upload your Wipeout game save data to a USB drive of some sort,be it a stick drive or outboard HD prior to Sept 1

Release date for system 3.00 is slated between Sept 1 & 3

thanks for the reminder. Im going to back it up to the WD HDD straight away.

Another update? sheesh. I hope Sony are through with this crap by the time I want to buy a PS3 Slim. Looking on the bright side, any optional updates, I could just ignore. :D

Finally saw the light ay? :g

Updates on the PSP and PS3 are brilliant, gets you on par with all the fantastic **** that is new and innovative.

Lance
30th August 2009, 02:12 PM
}offtopic{It's still very much a maybe, as the machine is probably good, but Sony are still disorganised, but hopefully will be more-organised and less customer unfriendly by then. I may just buy the 360's Natal no-controller-but-your-body with the money.
}backontopic}

okam
30th August 2009, 08:17 PM
Is that similar to the PlayStation EyeToy?

Lance
30th August 2009, 08:35 PM
Goes way beyond the Eye-toy.

But we digress.

KIGO1987
31st August 2009, 02:47 PM
Just did the back up then, so everything is a go now.

Lance still should look into investing into a PS3 hey. Would be interesting to race a wz mod on HD. Your Icarus ship hasnt been started up since the 90s.

Frances_Penfold
1st September 2009, 01:32 AM
FWIW, I was able to do a PS3 backup seamlessly using a WDElements 1 TB hard drive (~$100 from Amazon). Only took about 5 minutes, and there were no compatibility issues :)

Sounds like the new firmware hits within the next 5 or 6 hours? There is a pretty good introduction thread over at neogaf...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372830

Darkdrium777
1st September 2009, 01:38 AM
You think now that the PS3 can appeal to girls (Sorry, girlZZZ) with the sparkles and the purple theme, just like the purple Hannah Montana PSP? :p

Tomorrow. And I have the day off, weee!

Frances_Penfold
1st September 2009, 01:44 AM
Maybe the glitzy XMB motif will convince my wife to play games (e.g., WOHD) with me on the PS3...

... probably not though ;)

Farside
1st September 2009, 02:57 AM
It's out now

IH8YOU
1st September 2009, 03:05 AM
Installing... hope it bricks my PS3. :+

PainAndTears
1st September 2009, 03:10 AM
It's out now

Yes it is, I updated and installed and and rebooted my PS3, but now I can't sign into the PS Network. I ran my internet connection test. PS3 obtains IP address, says there is an internet connection, the web browser works, but it says failed next to the playstation network. I reset my PS3 and I got the same thing :brickwall Hopefully you all have better luck than I do. Godspeed 8)

IH8YOU
1st September 2009, 03:16 AM
Cut and paste your response, PainAndTears.

Tried original, wired. No dice.

Farside
1st September 2009, 03:34 AM
For those who can't log in, just give it time.
It took me probably 5 minutes for it to sign in. Maybe they're getting slammed right now. <shrug>

Darkdrium777
1st September 2009, 03:56 AM
Installing... hope it bricks my PS3. :+ROFL :lol

Well let's see *turns PS3 on*

Frances_Penfold
1st September 2009, 04:48 AM
Y'all are brave-- I'm planning to wait at least 24 hours to do the 3.00 update in case there is some unexpected problem ;)

mic-dk
1st September 2009, 05:22 AM
Aye, it seldom pays to be first mover on these things.

I'll hang back with you :)

Darkdrium777
1st September 2009, 05:38 AM
No unexpected problems, but damn there are a few annoyances.

1. If/when you update, make sure to go into your "Music Settings" and change the output frequency to 48Khz, else you will be unable to do anything else but play music. :brickwall

2. Friends list now has grey squares around each person. Can't say I'm a fan. :blarg

3. Effing information board ticker in the top right box can't be turned off. :mad:

4. Font size just got bigger. Personally I don't care this much but some may be annoyed.

5. And this is region specific: Well the PS Store bag now appears under game and video. Great for those in the US, not so great when you live in Quebec because the video store is nonexistent and probably never will exist here because our laws are different from the ROC and the US. So that's one useless icon on the XMB. :|

On the other hand: SPARKLES! :dizzy

IH8YOU
1st September 2009, 06:25 AM
DD - agree on all points - all of them. Grey boxes are bleh (to say the least) and the fonts are so huge (on my display) I can't see 1/3 of the information on screen at any given time that I used to. It is a "little" (minute change) snappier - but that may be due to less info on screen.

Oh - and I out did ya, DD- I have the Playstation Store appearing in 3 different locations - they must have bet on Americans rocking the serious attention deficit disorder. Under Games - PS Store, Video - PS Store and Network - PS Store....

Hey, does Sony offer a store, in which to purchase games, video and assorted media? ;)

Darkdrium777
1st September 2009, 07:13 AM
By the way, there is a free Afrika animated theme on the Japan PSN store. Just click the first Afrika icon you see under what I assume to be the "New releases" category. It requires one system activation.
It has zebras eating grass on it, and clouds scrolling.

NightArh
1st September 2009, 07:16 AM
I dont see playstation logo while launching a game with new fw... neither old nor new one :brickwall ...just black screen

KIGO1987
1st September 2009, 07:25 AM
So the update is up,

Ill do it a bit later a since the bastard will take all night to download.

Btw the Playstation 3 logo has change, it looks more like the PS2 and the PSP logo now, looks much cooler, PS3 new tag is awesome. keeping in tradition.

Darkdrium777
1st September 2009, 08:11 AM
Holy crap the PS3 internet is much faster! Just posting from it now, the thing's even faster than IE!

KIGO1987
1st September 2009, 08:55 AM
Doing the update now, its actually going quicker than i originally thought.

KIGO1987
1st September 2009, 10:40 AM
The update just completed then. It went faster than i assumed,

Looks pretty sick ay. The background has changed with all those sparkling crap, good thing Ace doesnt have a PS3 im sure he would be pretty spaced out atm with the new theme.

ProblemSolver
1st September 2009, 11:12 AM
FYI: All old PS3 models can boot-up OtherOS under firmware 3.0.

sh1kamaru-
1st September 2009, 11:50 AM
nice news :)

KIGO1987
1st September 2009, 11:59 AM
Oh ive just found a stupid feature,

Remember with the music player, when you had some music playing, you could press the PS button, and it would take you back to the XMB home screen so you could then check your messages and go on the internet browser,

Well now you cant,

bullshit.

NightArh
1st September 2009, 12:06 PM
FYI: All old PS3 models can boot-up OtherOS under firmware 3.0.

Do you mean Phat versions? So what Other OS do you mean?

2KIGO

I dont see positive implementations at all.

jan709
1st September 2009, 12:21 PM
i just noticed my brother downloaded 3.0 without me knowing! Lets hope it doesnt explode in my face when ill try to play WO ;)

Darkdrium777
1st September 2009, 06:10 PM
bullshit.

1. If/when you update, make sure to go into your "music settings" and change the output frequency to 48khz, else you will be unable to do anything else but play music. :brickwall

pssst! ;)

KIGO1987
1st September 2009, 06:14 PM
Cheers, will do.;)

abukii
1st September 2009, 06:34 PM
Yea, Im with Kigo. I cant check my messages while playing music...thats whack!!! As for logging in-- it certainly takes its time. I cancel the auto login and go into the login section and hit X. Still takes a few minutes to load:turd

KIGO1987
1st September 2009, 06:41 PM
Now i can, i just had to go into options and change the audio output;

1. If/when you update, make sure to go into your "Music Settings" and change the output frequency to 48Khz, else you will be unable to do anything else but play music. :brickwall

you got to change it from 44.1Khz to 48Khz, then you can be free to do what you please.

DrMannevond
1st September 2009, 06:41 PM
Downloading now. I'm scared:cold
Also seems like it starts downloading in the background even before you check for updates. I left my PS3 on while checking this thread before I started the download, and when I did start it, it bounced right up to 13% before slowing down to the usual crawl. Can't really decide if that's a good or a bad thing.:|

Edit : probably good I guess, since you have to download it at some point anyway, I just don't like not having complete control of my hardware (if my assumtion is right of course).

Lance
1st September 2009, 07:17 PM
"Downloading now. I'm scared~~"

You should be. I know I would be.

lunar
1st September 2009, 07:23 PM
The new multi-audio output option is something I wanted. The sparkles are good for showing off 1080P displays. Now I`m struggling, but it seems a fine update and I don`t think there`s anything for anyone to worry about unless you want to pull out the power cord mid installation or something to see if it will break ;)

I think your theory makes sense DrMannevond - I noticed mine went quickly to 3 or 4% then crawled after that.

KIGO1987
1st September 2009, 07:50 PM
The sparkles look like bits of dust n crap floating in front of the tv screen on my SD tv.

The font is easier to read on SD tvs now though.

IH8YOU
1st September 2009, 08:34 PM
Kigo - that same font is gargantuan on an HD display.

Even Lance would have no trouble seeing this font, it's epic on 1080P. ;)

okam
1st September 2009, 08:38 PM
So, anyone lost any important data yet? ^^

Too busy this week, won't be turning on the PS3 until friday evening most likely. If there are any emergency hotfixes they should be out by then.

finngers
1st September 2009, 08:44 PM
nah its fine I think the new writing looks massive and a bit wank but its not mucked owt up

i think the iplayer telly option is cool, hopefully the other channels will get on it and have 4od and whatever ITV's internet thing is up and running on the ps3 soon that would be swell as hell :mr-t (That smilie is ace)

Lance
1st September 2009, 08:45 PM
I don't have trouble seeing things close up; I'm very nearsighted, and my HDTV is only a couple of feet away. I can just about read the fonts on WO3! :D

ProblemSolver
2nd September 2009, 08:02 PM
Do you mean Phat versions? So what Other OS do you mean? ...

Yes, the 'phat' versions, the one with the Spiderman font on its top. The
term OtherOS refers to a feature of being able to boot-up a different
operating system on your PS3 than Sony's own GameOS. You just have to
install a PS3 compatible bootloader onto the PS3 using the GameOS. See
for example http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/manual.html.
After changing the bootflag (which can be done from the GameOS as well)
the PS3 boots up the currently install bootloader. Once started you can
install any operating system that just simply needs a PowerPC processor
and some memory to run. For example, you can easily install one of the
following PS3-Linux distributions; Ubuntu, Yellow Dog, and Fedora. Each one
contains a PS3 bootloader on their installation ISO-image.

IH8YOU
3rd September 2009, 12:57 AM
Random - but on the "sparkly" background - does anyone have weird triangles having seizures?

I got these 2 triangles that keep kibbying out, and jumping around the bottom of my screen. Started about 5 minutes into the new 3.0 FW - and it has yet to go away. It looks like it "should" be part of the waves - as it blends in for a sec, before reverting to seizures once again. Ever since the first 5 minutes, it's been there, through restart, different accounts - I get the feeling it wants to stay. :|

RedScar
5th September 2009, 06:22 PM
I don't have my PS3 on me right now and won't have internet on it till Monday the 7th. Did anyone have issues with 3.0 and their WOHD save data? I have my stuff backed up but I'm just wondering.

Frances_Penfold
5th September 2009, 06:41 PM
No problems here :)

G-Hob
6th September 2009, 02:54 AM
I got my PS3 on Friday and installed 3.0 before downloading Wipoeut HD.