PDA

View Full Version : Flare weapon?

psilocybin
26th August 2009, 10:51 PM
Was there ever a flare weapon in the original wipeout? I was looking for an image of the wink weapon icon last night when I came across this:

http://shroomologist.users.btopenworld.com/flare.JPG

Maybe Im just being forgetful because the icon does seem vaguely farmiliar but I could have sworn I dont remember this being in the game. Is it a multiplayer only weapon or was it scrapped altogether? By the looks of things it seems to be intended to blind your opponents for a brief period, or maybe its similar to that bomb thing in 2097 with the X shaped logo (I forget the name).

Just curious really.

Lance
26th August 2009, 11:41 PM
Just curious if you've read the WipeoutZone guidelines. I'm guessing that you haven't. ;)

psilocybin
27th August 2009, 12:57 AM
Ooops, forgot about the size limit. Apologies.

Re: the other thread: I didnt see it, I can assure you Ive been through the archive although probably not as vigourously as you was expecing.

DawnFireDragoon
28th August 2009, 05:56 PM
it's not used in the game, but does appear on the wipeout (psone) standard edition cover, alongside all the other weapon icons, in the background behind the ship.

what it is/was, is anyone's guess.

Kyonshi
28th August 2009, 11:31 PM
Could it be a weapon/item featuring only in 2 Players mode?

DawnFireDragoon
29th August 2009, 08:22 AM
no, there are only two extra wepons in link up mode. it isn't one of them.

Task
30th August 2009, 09:15 PM
I believe it's a leftover.

They originally had plans for more weapons than were released in the final version, "Flare" was cut a little bit later in development, after they'd made a graphic image. That image wasn't removed from the released version even though it wasn't in use.

I think that was the story behind that one.