PDA

View Full Version : What are Fury-class ships forerunning?

Nordschleifer.2200
21st August 2009, 11:38 PM
I was comparating (Again!) HD and Fury ships, looking into details of "upskirt" view, back ion engine, weapon bays and such things. I've done it too much times that i could reverse-engineer a Fury ship. :g

Then, an idea came to my mind. Did the SL guys designed a complete line of new AG ships, after using the same for almost three games, only for our sake? Or are they prefiguring the next step in AG racing?

Look at 'em. They have less armor over the chassis, which now looks more as a monocoque chassis made of some high-resistance metallic alloy/polymer with a sort of carbon-fiber-of-the-future trim. They have a sort of windscreen/protective glass over the glass canopy. Their weapon bays are much less bulky than the HD counterparts, beign mabye careneed/retractable inside the hull. Their engine's spray is longer and...Red.

Many supposed they are the new FX-500 ships. Now i wonder...Are they going to be the main ships in the disc-based, canon WipeOut they promised us a looong time ago for PS3? Or they're just a cool re-stylization of the old ships mean to be an added value to Fury EP?

Mu5
22nd August 2009, 01:38 AM
Yo mate :)

Check this out :+

WipEout Fury Developer Diary – Ship Design

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/07/03/wipeout-fury-developer-diary-ship-design-ethos/

abukii
29th August 2009, 01:30 PM
One can only wonder though. I was actually thinking the same thing. We may be evolving (or de-evolving depending on your thoughts on Fury ships). Personally, I love them.

defor
15th September 2009, 09:24 PM
I can't help but put a side note in here that the diary entry+ observations come to an interesting light in regards to the Triakis dynamic theme....
check it out if you haven't already.... transformations....

Shades of core changes to the wipeout game mechanics for a future game, or an update to fury...?

abukii
15th September 2009, 09:27 PM
I am really hoping a core mechanic. L1 could be used to go into "shield mode". I imagine the ship wouldnt be able to accelerate whilst in this mode...but hey, Ive been pleasantly surprised before...

Mu5
15th September 2009, 10:21 PM
Nice shout Defor - If we could have in-game animations like this that would be incredible :D +-

I love when it opens right out - reminds me of some of the best mechs Ive seen :)

Fasty
17th September 2009, 05:21 PM
Man, I absolutely LOVE what they are doing with the ship designs! Funny that such a small thing could get me so excited about the series again, but they are just so RIGHT, with their slight Japanese mecha influence. I could foresee one possible future where all the craft look like they came out of whatever factory built this: http://nwn.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/mech_showcase.jpg with wing-flap animations when using the air-brakes crazy transformation animations any time a new item is picked up etc.

defor
17th September 2009, 06:38 PM
You know, while I openly endorse some of what we're seeing here with the fury assets, I personally see the Wipeout universe as rather grounded in a plausible not-too-far-off future where (with the exception of AG) the physics and technology makes some sense....
I'd hate to see that spoiled by the overkill that is the stereotypical "mecha" stereotype...
if one really wanted to look more towards series with transforming and wild parts movements- UC Gundam, Macross, Gasaraki, reasonable examples of more "engineered" mecha I'd suggest one might look for inspiration in ideas of where this might be heading

IF

This is even what SL's intending.. still.. as it stands, it looks really nice, but I'm not yet sold on the Fury designs anyway... they feel more like a realization of prototype/vr/classic/zone designs into a more physical space.

Call me antiquated, but I kinda like the whole backstory that's been built around Wipeout... Fury does NOT really feel like FX350 era design...

I wouldn't mind some explanation, but it feels like it's been bumped ahead 50-100 years post FX350...

eLhabib
19th September 2009, 12:47 PM
Fully agree.
Even so, I have to say I love the Fury ship designs. But you are correct, they make the whole game seem less realistic, which is a shame.

Koleax
9th October 2009, 03:04 AM
Actually, I prefer the Fury ships because they appear to me simpler, more solid colors and contrasting straight lines and fewer mashups and gradients.

I am not a fan of this complexity ethos for ships. Keep the complexity for the external environment, like trees and waterfalls. The ship design in 2097 looks more high tech and futuristic than those in HD and I miss that purist aesthetic. And Valparaiso.

Is there one tree anywhere in HD Fury? I think I remember two or three very small ones before the last turn in Moa Therma.

Motorsagmannen
11th October 2009, 02:41 AM
ubermall, inside the mall theres plants on the center pillar ( oh god and how i hate that pillar :P.) and of course the hovering islands on the last drop on vineta-k. those have shrubberies too

IH8YOU
12th October 2009, 02:00 AM
I favor the HD ships, the wear marks, different textures - it made them more alive.

As for trees - well, at least in HD...

Vineta K - palm trees dot the ocean-front, and the plants near the 2nd drop as mentioned above me.

Anulpha Pass - I'll give you that - devoid of plant life from what I can see.

Moa Therma - Trees and shrubs all over the place, on many of the little islands, ect...

Chenghou Project - Scattered trees around the sides of the track at the start line, and in the pools at the double-drop before the Pirana Bowl.

Metropia - Plants and trees on top of many buildings, some even visible at the start line.

Sebenco Climb - not 3D rendered - but there are a lot of trees (some of them even appear tropical) in the waaaaay background - very few people have seen what I'm talking about. But a few of you know I'm telling the truth. ;)

Ubermall - obviously the "Potted Mother *#$ker plants", but it has truckloads everywhere too. Some trees / shrubs in the community square (near the waterfall), and trees all around the floating globe next to the blimp, potted plants all around "the food court circle", and potted plants adjourn the walls in many places. The mall has tons of green - just start a single player speed lap and look around.

Sol2 - No plants that I’m aware of up top - but lots of greenery on the Earth, far below. (in the background)

Back on topic - HD Ships, FTW!

brainbeat
12th October 2009, 02:06 AM
Tech de ra, reverse, the domes have vegetation inside

Koleax
12th October 2009, 04:54 AM
Okay, I'm starting a new thread for trees!

The reintroduction of the silver theme in Fury ships is interesting, but disappointing. I was expecting something different from what I already unlocked in the HD campaign.

Did anyone else feel this way?