PDA

View Full Version : fw3.0 Themes / Avatars (WipEout Fury)

Wip3ou7
20th August 2009, 11:28 PM
The animated themes that SONY has enabled in the PS3 firmware version 3.0 are really cool! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2t4O8ygqFY) I really want some animated WipEout HD/Fury themes for the 3.0 update, even if I have to pay for them ;0 And more avatars of course (hopefully at least 1 per team)...

WipEout HD/Fury definately has the most potential for animated theme awesomeness, so do it up SL!

Start posting ideas fellas. I'd like to see maybe one thats a loop of a ship doing laps, or maybe crazy abstract interlocking designs that wipeout is notorious for.

DawnFireDragoon
21st August 2009, 12:17 AM
something similar to the original Main menu background of HD would be cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW1X2j1wCNU

you know the simplistic look with the ship zooming round it. either minimilist like that, or full colour, rendered to look bad ass.

Farside
21st August 2009, 12:33 AM
I'd buy it

Darkdrium777
21st August 2009, 12:51 AM
I want that, HD or Fury animated themes that look and sound like the menu. These would be the themes I'd buy instantly, so if ever they happen, worldwide release please.

Also, moar WipEout HD avatars with them. Maybe make a 2-3$ value pack with both themes and a group of teams/sponsors avatars of WipEout HD. That would be truly awesome.

AG-wolf
21st August 2009, 03:33 AM
I'd definitely like to see an animated/dynamic WOHD/Fury dashboard theme; if they could make it customizable to some degree, it would be even better... maybe let the user select what team they want to have in the background...

I don't know what they could do for a theme that would be interesting or slightly interactive, but not too obstructing when you're still trying to use the dashboard practically. Maybe they could have it kind of like the Wipeout 3 Prototype stages, with the flat shaded polygons or something :D

Spece2goin
21st August 2009, 08:44 AM
a good feature would be to show the actual number of players connected to the game...

and i hope they did something about the fans, the PS3 is known to have temperature issues, but the fans are really loud, and never stop, even if the PS3 is cooled down with inactivity...

abukii
21st August 2009, 05:47 PM
I dont know about paying for themes...animated or not. But the idea sounds great.
One of these days our PS3/4/5/6/7/8/9/+ will have voice reccognition...
"[Insert system nickname here] Run WipEout HD, Fury, Racebox mode. [State track, speed class and ship]"

Id love to see an interactive, animated AG on my start menu *drools*

Lance
21st August 2009, 07:26 PM
I've moved the posts discussing PS3 cooling to a topic of their own here:
http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6741

The post that started that discussion is also about this themes and avatars thread, and has been left in place, but the relevant PS3 cooling part is quoted in the starter post of the new thread.

Sven
22nd August 2009, 06:12 AM
I'm surprised they haven't released a Fury theme yet, considering they had no less than three Wipeout HD themes. Maybe they were waiting for the new firmware?

An animated Fury theme is probably the only theme I'd ever buy.

ProblemSolver
22nd August 2009, 11:21 AM
Wanna see a great Fury theme and some full-blown themes of each team.
The Fury theme should be free. But I would pay 2 - 5 EUR for a high-quality
Feisar theme that uses all the new features. Oh yes!

LurifaxFlux
22nd August 2009, 01:37 PM
I'd buy it :)

i hope they did something about the fans, the PS3 is known to have temperature issues, but the fans are really loud, and never stop, even if the PS3 is cooled down with inactivity...
Which PS3 version do you have?
I have 80GB PAL version, and mine isn't particularly loud.
I heard they fixed temperature/fan issues with newer PS3 versions.

jan709
22nd August 2009, 03:05 PM
how about a theme where you see for example an ags lapping tech de ra, sort of spectator mode like?

sh1kamaru-
22nd August 2009, 07:39 PM
I would be interested in an open SDK to make animated background ! It would really kickass if SCE decided to do that

I'd love to see an official WOHD / Fury theme too, but if we could build themes ourself and give it to SL this would be even better, it would be a way to thank them for the hours of enjoy we all have on this game

RedScar
22nd August 2009, 07:57 PM
If they are adding animated themes I wonder if they will allow user created animated themes. Not that I could create a better WOHD/FURY theme better then SL but I'm
A) Cheap
B) Doubting a WOHD theme will be dlable at 3.0 launch

Also I would like WOHD avatars, but considering how SL already has HQ version of them made we shouldn't have to pay for them. They just have to shrink them and release them.

Haywire_Guy
23rd August 2009, 12:31 PM
I honestly wouldnt keep my hopes too high. While SL are incredible at what they do, (ie create the core gameplay games etc) the licensed products they make are sub-par.

Take the Little Big Planet Wipeout-HD sackboy variations, they look like they wearing card-board boxes and straw hats or something.

ProblemSolver
25th August 2009, 08:22 PM
I would be interested in an open SDK to make animated background ! ...
An C/C++ SDK for XMB-themes would be awesome. But this will likely never
happen coz it rises the risk to exploit bad written programs (libs etc.) that may
lead to hack the PS3, if that is even possible since the Hypervisor, the security
layer of the PS3 in conjunction with the Cell processor, is a pretty tough one. A
hardware Root-of-Trust, and being able to execute SPE programs in complete
isolation, is a strength of the Cell processor. Up to my knowledge there is
virtually no hardware of interest out there that wasn't hacked within the first or
second year after release with the one exception of the PS3. I repeat; the PS3
isn't hacked despite its out for over two years! That's a novelty and it shows
that the IBM engineers were right to implement security straight into the Cell
processor. There is a paper out there showing how to attack an AES cipher on
a x86 architecture through one of its weakest spots, the cache hierarchy. In
essence, software alone isn't enough to protect a system. Reading the papers
about the Hypervisor (see IBM) really shows that they've started from square
one to get it right. And that's simply the reason why the PS3 isn't hacked just
yet after over two years of massive attacks from the best console hackers in
the world. Even with linux and all the stuff, the Hypervisor tells what linux can
see and what not. From my point of view, I think that the PS3 hardware can be
protected at all time, but this doesn't mean that one cannot mess around with
some buggy SDKs coming from Sony to produce something that may result in
a denial-of-service when, for example, applying an odd theme or something.

Darkdrium777
25th August 2009, 08:50 PM
ProblemSolver: See this (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/06/how-to-make-your-own-ps3-themes/).
They'll probably allow for animated ones too eventually.

ProblemSolver
25th August 2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah I know this stuff, but it's unlikely that we will get an SDK (an API, an
Application Programmin Interface). But anyways, if ever, it goes the way
like of today -- creating some pictures and animated-gifs etc. and assemble
them together. An SDK would be better, an SDK for the whole XMB! :)

sh1kamaru-
26th August 2009, 06:12 PM
You're right, I didn't think about this issue when I posted, so sad :(

Wip3ou7
3rd September 2009, 02:42 AM
Wow, have any of you guys seen the 3.0 AFRIKA theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijuTgUj8lSQ)?

I would really like to see a realtime 3d theme of a perpetual wipeout race from some unique camera angles, that would be amazing. YOU HEAR ME SL??? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Kyonshi
3rd September 2009, 04:17 AM
One good thing about avatars would be the possibility to use OUR OWN avatars, maybe it be already existing or custom-made. I really don't get it why it's not already featured... :|

IH8YOU
3rd September 2009, 04:19 AM
Why no custom avatars? Because people like me would start making avatars like this...

B===D~~~

That sum it up?

mdhay
3rd September 2009, 08:33 AM
What about ( o )( o )?:g

Vartazian
3rd September 2009, 12:15 PM
So immature pricks are stopping me from having my Ayane Avatar.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGE

mdhay
3rd September 2009, 12:52 PM
There's no need for that. I wouldn't have that as my avatar anyway.

If you meant 11 year olds doing that, then yeah, you can't. I'm confuzzled...

Darkdrium777
3rd September 2009, 01:35 PM
I want my Darkdrium avatar! :mad:

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9527/darkdrium.png

But yeah, it ain't happening. I hope they start giving/selling avatars soon, I'm a little sick of those already present, and a lot of people have started using the ace of spades (http://profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/visit/profiles/Darkdrium777) symbol I was using (It wasn't so popular when I chose it...)

Frances_Penfold
3rd September 2009, 03:27 PM
It really is a bit shocking that there aren't more avatar choices available here some years after the PS3 launch...

GreenPhazon
3rd September 2009, 04:34 PM
When do we actually get the new themes?

BlochNWhitey
4th September 2009, 02:29 AM
I'll stick with my kitty avatar.. :3

But srsly, I would love some good animated themes, even something gentle like a field, or one that uses wipeout data and shows off the tracks.. I'd pay for something like that.

krioto
4th September 2009, 11:08 AM
When do we actually get the new themes?

Create a Japanese PSN account and grab the Afrika theme for free!

I'm looking at a zebra's arse as we speak...

GreenPhazon
4th September 2009, 01:20 PM
US PS store has the LBP one and a few others for $1.50 a pop. Which begs two questions:

1) How much will they be over here?
2) Why isn't there some sort of preview feature?

Frances_Penfold
4th September 2009, 01:47 PM
I'll stick with my kitty avatar.. :3

Hey, I have one of those too!

I really want more options for dogs though :(

Lance
4th September 2009, 02:57 PM
"I'm looking at a zebra's arse as we speak..."

For what purpose? ;)

Darkdrium777
4th September 2009, 04:04 PM
They just happen to walk that way across the screen.

AFRIKA theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijuTgUj8lSQ) (Free).
LittleBig Planet theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eYAF9VPgKw&NR=1) (2.99).
PixelJunk Monsters theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arNT3WFNFPQ) (2.99).

Prices are in USD and AFAIK.

KIGO1987
4th September 2009, 05:35 PM
Where did you find the themes from DD?

Darkdrium777
4th September 2009, 06:00 PM
The themes are all new, so they should show up in New Releases near the top of the list. The AFRIKA theme is the newest AFRIKA icon you can see on the Japanese PSN Store.
Don't know if all the themes are available on an Australian account or not.

KIGO1987
4th September 2009, 06:03 PM
i dont recall seeing any when i popped onto the store earlier. But ill have another look,

Hey how the hell does this Custom Avatar thingy work on the PS3 ????

Darkdrium777
4th September 2009, 06:07 PM
It doesn't.

You should check the US store, they are probably only released there. And the Japanese store as well.

KIGO1987
4th September 2009, 06:18 PM
****...... :(

KIGO1987
10th September 2009, 07:44 PM
Ive just looked at the 3.0 theme screensaver on the background atm,

Looks pretty sik right now,

It looks like dusk, you've got the red glow on the bottom, and the purple/blue sky with all that glitter n **** on top. looks pretty impressive. I can only imagine what it would look like in Full HD.

Whizzer The Hawk
10th September 2009, 08:54 PM
I have to say the new Triakis theme was not expected... :?

It's better than nothing I suppose, and it's free. I'd rarther pay for a decent theme if you ask me. :!

KIGO1987
10th September 2009, 09:08 PM
Looks pretty sweet. I love the Transformers Genre it has to it too,

Hopefully this isnt the only stuff SL is working on.

Whizzer The Hawk
10th September 2009, 09:10 PM
Hopefully this isnt the only stuff SL is working on.

I can't say how much I am with you on that sentence. I'd love to see other ships doing their thing. 8)

KIGO1987
10th September 2009, 09:16 PM
Some retro tracks and the rest of the Pulse tracks including the DLC ones would be awesome too:rock:D