PDA

View Full Version : Last second maneuvre (tapping L2 R2 twice)

Yozim
20th August 2009, 10:32 PM
Im a completely noob at this awsome game, trying to play with the pilot assist off. Wondering if you Wipeout Pro's uses the last second maneuvre much in like sharp steep corners? As i said.. completely noob :o

multibodydynamics
20th August 2009, 10:39 PM
Yes, A LOT! :lol

Aeroracer
20th August 2009, 10:44 PM
side shift rules.

you can use it before ..during or after the corner.Even if you can take corner without use side shift to reduce racing line distance.

Talk to problems solver on sterring and corners he can do 141 levels on the zone:)

Yozim
20th August 2009, 10:58 PM
141 L's on Zone?!? Wow.. definetly better than me there.. :dizzy But anyway.. thanx for quick answering.. This IS a great forum.. :)

Aeroracer
20th August 2009, 11:01 PM
thats ok..any problems just ask and another player is sure to help you:)

Hellfire_WZ
20th August 2009, 11:11 PM
Yep, sideshifting is pretty much a requirement for tackling sharp corners on Phantom class and also really helps refine your racing line. Have a look at some of my video tutorials in the FAQ thread, there's a few good examples in some of them :)

Yozim
20th August 2009, 11:19 PM
Thanx alot Hellfire.. i'll definetly have a look at your vids in faq.. thanx again.. you guys rocks :)

AG-wolf
21st August 2009, 03:35 AM
Try using the L1/R1 buttons for airbrakes... the triggers tend to wear out over time, and with constant use in a game like Wipeout, their death comes that much quicker :P Plus I personally find it easier to pull off side-shifts; the buttons feel more responsive than the triggers and my fingers don't slip off.

IH8YOU
21st August 2009, 07:08 AM
Ditto the remarks about moving your airbrakes from L2 R2 to L1 R1. The top buttons are a lot snappier, and make side-shifting easier.

One thing that seems to be overlooked by many players - is how much speed you retain when side-shifting. If you take a corner and turn hard, you'll lose speed. The same thing happens when you hold your airbrake in too long. But if you can side-shift through the majority of the corner, and then gently turn through the rest - you retain your speed.

There is nothing more satisfying than being behind the same ship on a track, and via the technique mentioned above, zooming past them unassisted. I do this on Moa Therma all the time, and I still love it.

pirahpac
21st August 2009, 08:47 AM
i use l2r2 with hapiness :cowboy . its just a question of habit .i love my l2r2 cuz for hard turn or not i can turn with good amount ( hmm maybe i use l2r2 just because i have long fingers so l1r1 are to near lol )

Mr Phlanj
21st August 2009, 08:59 AM
Have a look at some of my video tutorials in the FAQ thread, there's a few good examples in some of them :)

Take this one time offer from the english racer hellfire!! for the low low price of just £84.67 you will recive NOT ONLY the tutorials but all sorts of singed Hellfire merchandise including his best selling 420 page book "turning left and all its uses".

BUT THATS NOT ALL!!!!

Hellfire will personally come to your door and beat you at WOHD over and over again untill his face turns red from the abuse he will be throwing at you as he plays!!!

(Food, Beer and clothes* need providing)

*optional

Edit: I still have my air brakes at L2R2 so i can have absorb and Kill as L1R1

Sven
22nd August 2009, 06:08 AM
My airbrakes are R2/L2 because I've been doing it that way for 13 years. And Fire/Absorb is circle/square.

jan709
31st August 2009, 09:19 AM
Im a completely noob at this awsome game, trying to play with the pilot assist off. Wondering if you Wipeout Pro's uses the last second maneuvre much in like sharp steep corners? As i said.. completely noob :o

The first turn i learned to use it effectively is the last of sol 2 forward, maybe you should practise it there too?

yeldar2097
31st August 2009, 10:18 AM
i use it pretty much as often as the game allows you to (given the small delay between shifts).

Might I add that ProblemSolver has actually cracked 150 zones :dizzy

Edit: It can also be mighty useful for catching air with which to Barrel Roll

Connavar
31st August 2009, 11:05 AM
I probably use it between aprrox 30 and 80 times in a single race.

Vartazian
31st August 2009, 11:27 AM
Same as connavar. I use it over 50 times a race. At least. EVERY corner.

Mr Phlanj
31st August 2009, 11:29 AM
Might I add that ProblemSolver has actually cracked 150 zones :dizzyRoll

Wow! i knew he was the Zone King but damn!

Also i try to always use it when going into a chicane (if theres no
straight line gap) so i dont worry about going let then right, i line
my ship up with the exit then side-shift as soon as i can, but it can
all go BADLY worng even by one cannon hit or the tinyest scrape from
someone.
so only do it if theres a gap between you and the other guys
like when im doing my average +4 sec infront of guys like yeldar :banzai

yeldar2097
31st August 2009, 11:48 AM
is that a challenge? :P cheeky monkey!

back on topic: I can only think of one corner where I don't use it... I'll try to think of summore but I don't think I'll be very successful ;)

Kyonshi
31st August 2009, 12:19 PM
Glad you wanna master the side-shift technique! That'll be one less guy using me to pass the hairpin on Chenghou and throwing me out of the track, busting my race :D

Take note that S-S can also be used to avoid drop weapon hazards at the last minute... Usually after a while, you can see them from afar, but during the proper momentum, it can save your butt in a split-second.

Wanna know a good training ground for side-shifting? Sebenco Climb. Have fun!

Vartazian
31st August 2009, 09:41 PM
I use 6 sideshifts in the first 8 Seconds of Modesto Heights Alone.

pirahpac
31st August 2009, 09:43 PM
awesome ! ur fast ! :eek

RedScar
31st August 2009, 09:48 PM
MHf/r is about the only track that requires CONSTANT sideshifting thx to those stupid narrow chicanes and that extended hairpin. I still can't get a clean phantom race on that track although I guess I should start sideshifting more.

XBARNSTERX
31st August 2009, 09:57 PM
Side shifting is definitely a must on obvious corners like chenghou and modesto. When i first joined this forum i never really understood the use of them but now they are essential and a joy to do IMO. They'll really step up your driving capabilities, help maintain speed through practically ever turn, corner and chicane. Really handy for dodging them damn bombs and mines:D

nipsen
1st September 2009, 03:54 PM
Same here. I've been trying to get the "arcade perfection" trophy since... April... um, so after forgetting which track I had passed last, I started on Sol2 reverse last week. And I wanted to get further in on that first corner.. and it sort of struck me that it would be an idea to side- shift, to get a better line on the chicane... so, yeah.. been playing through the entire campaign against the "cheating" elite AI, without using side- steps on the turns.. :/

But it feels best when you manage the long turns by adjusting with the air- brakes, imo.

..does it really go slower that way, compared to breaking full force for a short time?

mizunoori
1st September 2009, 08:44 PM
I think it´s faster with sideshift.

Do someone know how the restriction between two sideshifts works?
Is it just a certain time or only one sideshift per turn?

yeldar2097
1st September 2009, 09:10 PM
i think it's 0.5 or 1.0 secs between sideshift, i do more than 1 per turn quite a lot :)

Aeroracer
1st September 2009, 09:17 PM
i never used side shift in my 3 weeks..but last two weeks i use it whenever i can..like every corner..soon i il be using it 50 times a race or more :)

jimsin
2nd September 2009, 10:33 AM
This is a kingsize embarassing thing to admit - but even after 150+ hours, I still can't get the grasp of sideshift - When you tap L2 or R2 once, then you airbreak - when I sideshift I assume that the ship is meant to sort of jump to one side, but keep facing straight forward. This happens occasionally, but more often than not I airbreak and then airbreak again.

I'm assuming that I'm maybe not managing to tap quickly enough - but what I don't understand is if airbreak is one tap, and sideshift is two taps - then how are you supposed to get the second tap in before the airbreak takes effect?

Edit: Please ignore the above - I get it now. Guess that if I've managed to get this far without sideshift, then the world will be at my feet once I've figured out how to implement it:S

Handmadelion
2nd September 2009, 10:47 AM
I cannot race, without sideshift. And when I play Pure I hit walls because I think I can do it in that game. Some things, just don't compute for the lot of us. Be it acceleration sensitivity/airbrake sensitivity, or racing in 1st person or third person. I cannot imagine racing in first person, and then I heard xtriko in his video not only race effectively in first person, but say he couldn't understand how people could play in my preferred camera mode. :lol I love hearing the different ways people play.