PDA

View Full Version : WIPEOUT 1,2, 3, WORLD RECORDS!!

TYSON
24th November 2002, 05:05 AM
Hi everyone,
I need to get in contact with any person/s in possession of both format wipeouts. Let me explain that a little better, say you had Wipeout PAL version AND Wipeout NTSC version I would like to talk to you or you can post a thread. This also applies to Wipeout 2097/XL and Wipeout 3.

The reason I am asking for info in this area is for an important investigation regarding the differences between PAL and NTSC. Recently I received a letter from one of the head Referee’s of Twin Galaxies*** concerning these differences. He told me that if game play between both the PAL & NTSC version can be proven to be identical, it may be possible to 'Merge' the times.

This would result in a true world champion and would certainly be interesting.

***(Twin Galaxies is affiliated with the Guinness book of World Records & is targeted solely at Video Games).

Please either respond here or write directly to me at tys0n@hotmail.com

Cheers

Tyson
:D

Lance
24th November 2002, 07:01 AM
we're currently running a challenge for 5 versions of wipeout in both NTSC and PAL regions for a single prize. the times of the two regions are related to each other through conversion factors tested by Al Sartwell.

i've copied the conversion factors from the original post. they are different for each version of the game:

wipeout =.....pal time(.969)=ntsc
woxl=...........pal time(.958)=ntsc
wo64=.........pal time(.941)=ntsc
wo3=...........pal time(.956)=ntsc

in other words, you multiply the PAL time by the factor to get its equivalent NTSC time. the reciprocal of the factor will of course work for converting NTSC to PAL. notice that there is no factor included for WO3SE. if you have any questions about how the factors were obtained, ask Al Sartwell [ZOOLANDER]

JABBERJAW
25th November 2002, 01:00 AM
these conversions do not work for all the tracks where you can cut corners, it is also different for each individual ship due to flight time. for the tracks in the competition however, they should be close to right on. talon's reach for example is a much larger jump on wipeout 2097 due to much more flight time resulting in almost identical results, also contributing is braking on turbo pads in 2097 seems to speed up the craft.

Lance
25th November 2002, 01:42 AM
?
Talon's Reach is a much larger jump on Wipeout 2097 than it is on what? i am confused

Task
25th November 2002, 03:48 AM
Than on WOXL. And this is without even getting into Talon's Reach on WO3SE, that's a totally different kettle of fish that you wouldn't want to compare to anything else.

JABBERJAW
25th November 2002, 12:37 PM
The ship takes off much higher in 2097 than xl allowing for a much larger cutoff on the first turn. the tracks we did have cuttoffs but I don't think there is any difference in the amount you can do before the wuss wagon picks you up.

Lance
25th November 2002, 01:54 PM
i've never used cut-offs; i'm probably doomed to last place in WO3, even if i weren't new to phantom class, particularly on the three courses chosen for the DJ T challenge. i will be very interested in what the top time is at P-Mar

DJ Techno
25th November 2002, 03:52 PM
P Mar......... :-?

I have a gut feeling...That I am not going to make the same attempt on P Mar like the one I did before.
my new best lap time using Pirhana, beating Al's Icarus on that course had to be either...
something I am looking into...
Pure Victory :-?
then maybe it was luck or something else.

zargz
26th November 2002, 01:37 AM
I'd go 4the 'pure Victory' thing! :wink:

JABBERJAW
26th November 2002, 02:35 AM
Icarus is still the fastest on this track for a single lap. you could probably get a 28.xx on it if you used all your turbo.

TYSON
26th November 2002, 02:53 AM
:D Thanks for the info so far. Al (Zoolander), I too use the short cut there on Talon's Reach...

My main question is, with these differences in gameplay would it be possible or fair to do a 'merge' of the times using your calculation method? I guess my only concern is the accuracy of this, how did you obtain it?

Cheers

Tyson