PDA

View Full Version : Time Trial videos

WMJ
16th August 2009, 08:05 PM
I've recorded videos of my best Phantom Time Trial times for all the tracks. They can all be found here :): http://speeddemosarchive.com/Wipeout64.html

On the track Machaon II I can't seem to figure out the best strategy or maybe I just suck at it :p. The best time on Machaon II that I've heard of is 26"5 while I'm stuck at 27"5 so maybe there is still some shortcut escaping me here :?.

Amorbis
17th August 2009, 12:07 AM
Wow, those are insane! Much better than my slow times. My best for Klies Bridge is around 17 seconds even when boosting over the hill and through the tunnel. I can't offer any advice on Macheon, I'm a bit rubbish at it and your run seemed impeccable.

I got WipEout 64 last week, I finished all the challenges but I haven't played it too much. I would film a run but my skills are not up to scratch ;).

Frances_Penfold
17th August 2009, 08:09 PM
Awesome high-quality videos with great times :)

Glad to have you on the site. Maybe more WOZ pilots should participate in SDA?!

:banzai

slimjim
17th August 2009, 11:22 PM
wow your amazing at Wo 64 ;):banzai

WMJ
18th August 2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks all :). This is the only Wipeout I've spend a lot of time on time attacking so far but I recently picked up 3SE ;). It would be cool to see more vids like this for the other Wipeout games on SDA.

Mad-Ice
18th August 2009, 07:27 PM
I am flabbergasted!!! Superb skill man. Big thumbs up.

lunar
20th August 2009, 03:05 PM
amazing racing :+ I really never thought Klies Bridge could be done like that!! It`ll be interesting to see what you can do on Wipeout 3 SE. I would recommend investing in a negcon if you make a project of that one. :)

Frances_Penfold
20th August 2009, 07:44 PM
Rewatching these vids, one thing that strikes me is how FAST WO64 is-- such blazing speed! It's exciting to watch.

I have been working time trials for Wipeout Pure recently and the games seems so sluggish in comparison-- or is that just me?

JABBERJAW
21st August 2009, 03:23 PM
nice, very good, some shortcuts I hadn't tried since single race doesn't allow you to to pick up turbos :( I like that klies bridge one, that is exactly the same as you can do on talons. Do you use a wheel? Also, could you put up a single race record ful. race for any of hte tracks? Maybe a good terafumos run or something

Lance
21st August 2009, 05:02 PM
Are you detecting blood in the water, Al? ;)

WMJ
21st August 2009, 07:12 PM
nice, very good, some shortcuts I hadn't tried since single race doesn't allow you to to pick up turbos :( I like that klies bridge one, that is exactly the same as you can do on talons. Do you use a wheel? Also, could you put up a single race record ful. race for any of hte tracks? Maybe a good terafumos run or something

I use a regular N64 controller. I just checked your full race times and they're all very good :). I'll see if I can record a vid of a full race record soon that's hopefully any good (haven't played the game for the past few months :g).

WMJ
27th August 2009, 08:45 PM
I finally recorded a full race vid of Terafumos :g. I didn't beat Al's time but nevertheless I think it was an ok run. With my best split laps I could get very close to the 2 minutes barrier but playing single race is quite frustrating in my opinion with all those slow computer ships. Anyway, enjoy the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU-yLtcSl-A

JABBERJAW
27th August 2009, 10:26 PM
that was pretty darn good. I jump that whole last chicane, but the way you do it might be faster. You are missing a shortcut up the first hill. pitch back go through the post and land on the straightaway before the turn for the uphill

TheFrostE
9th September 2009, 05:51 PM
good race man, very clean. BUT you hit feisar twice...you BASTARD! :p :rock

lunar
10th September 2009, 08:31 AM
that is bloody great, very impressive! Thanks for posting it :rock

WMJ
10th September 2009, 07:05 PM
good race man, very clean. BUT you hit feisar twice...you BASTARD! :p :rock

It's Feisar's fault for being so slow ;).

About the shortcuts. I knew about the first one which is definitely faster if you can do it smoothly. The problem I have with it is that I don't make it back on the track half the time. It's probably a matter of practice but for some reason I'll make it easily in one lap but the next one it's an epic fail.

It's impossible for me to jump that whole last chicane as the game always puts me back on the track halfway through the jump. If I skip part of the chicane I hit the huge invisible wall blocking the way when trying to land back on the track.

WMJ
21st July 2018, 03:35 AM
On the track Machaon II I can't seem to figure out the best strategy or maybe I just suck at it :p. The best time on Machaon II that I've heard of is 26"5 while I'm stuck at 27"5 so maybe there is still some shortcut escaping me here :?.

Well it only took 9 years but I have come back to it and finally achieved that 26.5 lap on Machaon II :D

Video: https://youtu.be/JdJJReRlJGU

JABBERJAW
2nd August 2018, 02:28 PM
Nice run. I don’t have time just now to get back into it, but it looks like I might have to :) .

WMJ
27th April 2019, 09:57 PM
I have made Tool-Assisted runs for all laps to see where the limits are and to make a cool video :) . These were made with slowing down the emulator and many times reloading save states. I'd like to make a similar one for XL next but not sure if I can get the NeGcon to work with an emulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKtkm3B3lSE&feature=youtu.be

carbonara2097
29th April 2019, 08:06 AM
Nice stuff, i'm getting into Wipeout 64 lately! I use original N64 with classic controller! I'm trying to complete all the challenges, just got 3 golds on race and 3 on weapon challenges, did you ever get gold on all of them? some of them seems freaking hard.

Also, you can get to work a NeGcon with the emu, i did, just find a ps1 to usb adapter and it'll work with some tweakings.

I Wonder if i can use the neG on wo64 now, by using the emulator + adapter...

WMJ
30th April 2019, 08:20 PM
I've got the NeGcon working now with the emulator. So XL will be my new project :D.

I really love Wipeout 64. For some reason it's my favorite Wipeout but XL is not far behind. I really like the air mechanics on it.

Last year I did a speedrun where I got all the golds for the Challenge mode in 1 try from a fresh save file. Took me 1 hour 4 minutes. It's very improvable but it's very hard to get all the golds in 1 try as well. Especially Super Combo Challenge 5 is a real killer. Sometimes you just get unlucky and the computers kill each other so you cannot get the required 8 kills for gold. My strategy of parking on the weapon plates is really effective though for most weapon and Super Combo Challenges. For Race and Time Attack it's mostly just practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEYEh3Y-b3E