PDA

View Full Version : Pulse: Qirex?

XpanDrome2097
16th August 2009, 01:34 PM
It's only a personal impression or the Pulse's Qirex has lost all of its original features?
It don't feels like an original Qirex in every way you see its parameters (and this can be more in evidence in the moment when you try it)....except for the way it looks!

archman
17th August 2009, 12:32 AM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4494
A good place to start a discussion about that topic. :)

Also, there's some posts about it already somewhere on this forum. I have seen em. ;)

AG-wolf
17th August 2009, 01:56 AM
nono, I think Venom's post is very worthy of its own thread! lol :D Truth be told, this very fact is one of the top five reasons in my laundry list of hatred toward Pulse hahaha

ACE-FLO
17th August 2009, 08:10 AM
tut tut... Pulse rules. It's a shame you got so attached to one ship imo. I guess no one told you, ships evolve between leagues. The evolution of the Qirex was necessary... also, the ships in Pulse are very balanced. No single ship dominates the circuits - and that's a cool thing.

I agree with venom - Qirex isn't the beast it used to be in 2097 but I wouldn't have wanted that ship in the FX-400. The current Qirex is fine for Pulse imo.

XpanDrome2097
17th August 2009, 08:28 AM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4494
A good place to start a discussion about that topic. :)

Yes, I know that topic, arch ;).
But my interest in this thread is only to talk about the Qirex's evolution....it don't feel like a real Qirex....and in Pulse Qirex is probably the most different ship from the its past present in Pulse.

I guess no one told you, ships evolve between leagues. The evolution of the Qirex was necessary...

This is true, but don't face the exact reality: Feisar during all the chapters always remains the slower ship with the best handling ever, just to make an example....or Icaras, it remains the same since its debut....the only evolution that I have appreciated is AG-Systems (my favourite ship in Pulse, AG-Systems deserves a good shield) Auricom (my second choice in Pulse), and Assegai (not my favourite ship, but a very nice model finally with decent shield ;)).

By the way, the new Qirex's avatar for Pulse....
But this is only a joke, uahahah ;).

ACE-FLO
17th August 2009, 08:49 AM
... and I agree with you Venom. However, the Qirex with its original characteristics would have been a trickier ship to pilot on Pulses narrower circuits.

Yes, a compromise has been reached in the process of evolving the Qirex, and yes, to some this is sacrilege. lol. But it was necessary...

Personally, I'd like to see more peeps using it online. I know that NCR_Assassin uses it online - that's one pilot.

Temet
17th August 2009, 09:07 AM
The thing is also that airbrakes don't work anymore the way they used to.
In pulse, airbrakes is just a "please, turn more" button... before there was a technique to learn and it was more efficient in tight curves...

ACE-FLO
17th August 2009, 09:25 AM
The Air Brakes, once mastered - have the desired effect. Just takes getting used to your ship of choice.

I'm not the greatest pulser, but I learnt to pilot the Piranha around Talons White at Phantom - getting perfect laps. Air Brakes are the key!

rdmx
17th August 2009, 11:10 AM
In my opinion, the qirex is completely unviable to fly in pulse - the speed isn't that great. The thrust is awful and considering the need to accelerate quickly once hit by weapons, this is essential. The handling doesn't seem to suit the qirex design philosophy - that and airbrakes can easily make up the difference between 7 and 8 handling. The 9 shield isn't really necessary in my opinion - there is so little difference between 8 and 9. It fills a niche that didn't need to be filled. It's no suprise that in fury, qirex got some of the most buffs compared to the other craft.

GreenPhazon
17th August 2009, 11:33 AM
Really, the high-shield ships are useless lest you hit the walls all the time.

ACE-FLO
17th August 2009, 11:48 AM
I don't really use the Qirex, but gonna use it on a few circuits I know pretty well. First off I'll do some TT and SL to get a feel for handling/speed/thrust balance, then I'll do some eliminator races and maybe take it online too - see how the shield holds up. lol.

AG-wolf
17th August 2009, 03:14 PM
tut tut... Pulse rules. It's a shame you got so attached to one ship imo.It's not just that I got attached to one ship, I tried the other ships as well and they all handle like garbage. One of my other complaints with Pulse is it just doesn't even FEEL like a wipeout game. THe handling is garbage compared to the old titles, and even to Pure. If they maintained Qirex's old cliche (heavy & fast), sure it might have been hard to control in Pulse, but the whole point of the team was to provide a fast ship for players who were good enough to master it. By balancing every ship in the game and destroying the physics engine, I think they pulled the series away from what it used to be at heart. They made it more accessible to a wider audience, but it became less appealing (to me, anyway) as a result. Other people are phenomenally good at the game, even people who've followed the series from the beginning... but I can't get better at the game because there's nothing enjoyable about it for me. WOHD is a good example, the handling is balls compared to XL/2097 and WO3, but I actually find it enjoyable; as a result, I don't suck at it.

The whole thing with Qirex's stats being changed is the fact that they were a staple of the franchise from the beginning. All four original teams represented very specific piloting styles:
FEISAR: great handling, decent shields, slow speed and good accel. Beginners, casual players, people who like the game but aren't hardcore about it

AG-Systems: Better speed, awesome handling, poor shields, and great accel. The slightly better speed made it more appealing to people who wanted to go faster, but the crappy shields made it difficult to use practically. It became a time-attack ship for speed freaks because the acceleration made up for having the second slowest speed, where Auricom and Qirex slowed in corners and thrust, AG-systems didn't flinch at turns and kept right on going

Auricom: faster still, average handling, average speed, average accel. Could be argued as the intended casual ship, but unless someone had been playing for a long time, its speed was still hard to get accustomed to compared to Feisar, because it required a more intuitive grasp of the physics in the game. It became a viable contender

Qirex: Wicked fast, high shields, crappy handling and accelration. This was the beast. Unless you knew the game inside and out, you would never reach top speed in this ship. Tap a wall once and you lose all your momentum, ships breeze by you as you try to regain your speed. Corners gave new Qirex pilots nightmares because it seemed almost physically impossible to not slam into the wall. But if someone really worked hard and learned how the ship handled, it was amazing. The high shields meant you usually didn't have to hit the pit-lane at all in a race, and you could STILL bash other racers on the track around corners and stuff.

Piranha: f*** these guys ¬_¬ (bitter? what? no, never)

Anyway, in Pure, SL basically nerfed Qirex of any speed and only gave them moderate acceleration (they also dropped the team's staple ship model for some goofy looking piece of garbage). Pulse wasn't much different, aside from the entire handling dynamic change to the game in general; at least the brought back the basic ship model. HD is a good compromise, and I understand you need to balance the teams out a bit better since there are now 12 to choose from- it's not really fair to have everyone who picks Feisar and Goteki be at the back of the pack, but it still feels like there's something missing.. it's not just qirex, most of the other teams (aside from Auricom in my personal opinion) all feel the same, there's a general sense of detachment from piloting the ship... all of the newer games have lost the momentum that was present in the earlier titles, I think that's the main issue (half of this message was really just thinking out loud, there's not much structure to it now that I re-read some of what I posted lol sorry :P )

The thing is also that airbrakes don't work anymore the way they used to.
In pulse, airbrakes is just a "please, turn more" button... before there was a technique to learn and it was more efficient in tight curves...this is exactly how I feel with the airbrakes in pulse. I.... I can't explain it any better...

ACE-FLO
17th August 2009, 03:32 PM
Yes, I agree with the evolution of Qirex not holding true to itself.

However, the ship is not as easy to master in comparison to other ships in Pulse. Piranha being the most difficult. Gah, having said that, I'd add this; Just TT'd Talons W phantom in the Qirex, and it's quite fast. I got to within half second of my race record. It performs really well. And this was a short TT session too. hmmm...

Speed laps next, then time to test shield in some carnage heavy online races!

AG-wolf
17th August 2009, 03:37 PM
Well try the TT with a slower ship, you can still get close to the time..

Honestly, in pulse I had an easier time piloting Piranha and Auricom (both statistically fast ships with poor handling) than using Qirex

(also, tried to edit my previous post but by the time I was done typing, my session logged out and i had to re-login to change it)

archman
17th August 2009, 03:41 PM
Qirex harder to pilot than a Piranha? Strange, but interesting.
Well, I was never in a wipeout world, I didn't love the game when wo3 was actual, I came in after the Pulse was released. And I accepted Pulse like some new game. I don't care if it handles like nfs or something other. I know what you're talking about, AG-Wolf. Well, Pure is the wipeout for sure. :) (imo true wipeout = start steering 30mins before the curve = hard :D)

ACE-FLO
17th August 2009, 03:48 PM
(imo true wipeout = start steering 30mins before the curve = hard :D)

lol, how true... just like the Piranha in Pulse! haha!

AG-wolf
17th August 2009, 05:25 PM
maybe that's one of the reasons I could never really adapt to Pure and Pulse as well as the older games... I throw my ship around the course, you HAD to back in the day to take some of those turns. Now, you can wait until you're already a quarter of the way into a turn, then just press left or right and you're golden. It doesn't feel right..

ACE-FLO
17th August 2009, 05:52 PM
Just finished a Speed lap session on Talons W phantom in the Qirex, got to within 0.26 secs off my record, which was set in a Piranha. Time for some Online Mayhem now lol.

Initial impressions of the Qirex: Surprisingly manuverable, agile, handles like a dream - but would trade the handling for a better Speed Stat... but then I'd have an EG-X ... hmmm... dilemma dilemma! lol

After a short online session, I don't know what to think. I like it. Shield is high though. A higher speed stat would be better!