PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout vs. Extreme-G

KamatsuKyoto
9th August 2009, 02:32 PM
Its can sound like a crazy idea, but i was thinking one day...

If the Wipeout Series meets the Extreme-G series in a crazy high speed battle game?

I think that could be a great game, if made right and ballanced.

I don't know if everyone have played XGRA: Extreme-G Racing Association, the last Extreme-G game made. It's a Wipeout wannabe, with characters (racers) and teams development, background history, "real location" tracks, a "official" and "organizated" championship, different speed classes and all that stuff. Its totally Wipeout Fusion like game.

I think the game it's a intersting new step to the Extreme-G series, and make this crazy crossover even more possible, hehe.

And a last comment: its kinda funny see the invertions of the games. Wipeout: With character (racers) development to a "cold game" with "faceless racers" and Extreme-G doing the exactly opposite.

Waiting for Comments. :robot

shindubhe
9th August 2009, 04:19 PM
if they could get a good balance going it would be cool. maybe if it was done like motorstorm where crafts from each game would have prefered routes through the terrain that intersect at different points.

DawnFireDragoon
9th August 2009, 04:48 PM
i really like XGRA, but the character thing annoyed me, as they pop up during a race and talk c*&p. you could mute them in the menu, but you still had the animation popping up if you shot at some other racer.

a cross over would be interesting...if it was a new IP. i wouldn't like Wipeout: Bikes to be released for example :)

the character thing is kinda cool when done right. But i have to say i think i like wipeout without it. Fusions charcters where mostly really badly designed and didn't add anything really.

their should be another extreme-g though!!! great games.

GreenPhazon
9th August 2009, 05:46 PM
Better yet, WO64 vs. Star Wars Episode 1 Racer!

Motorsagmannen
9th August 2009, 09:09 PM
WO64-POD racer? sounds sexy. only drawback is the rickety flimsy construction of the pod racers. any weapon damage at all and the would be toast. its like a game full of Icarases basically :P (based on what i saw in the movie lol.)

WolfKill01
9th August 2009, 10:29 PM
I don't know if everyone have played XGRA: Extreme-G Racing Association, the last Extreme-G game made.
Waiting for Comments. :robot

DUDE!! I LOVED THAT GAME!! I don't think it was a wipeout wannabe. I found enough differences to make it it's own thing. Personally, I had WAY more fun with this game then fusion. A game that combines extreme-g and wipeout isn't that likely. A game combing f-zero and extreme-g, however, is plausible. Not that it's a bad idea, just the differences in speed is extremely large. Wipeout craft only go around 500 mph(not boosting, on phantom) While f-zero and extreme-g are up there breaking the sound barrier at 700 and 800 mph

Darkdrium777
10th August 2009, 08:11 AM
Actually, Wipeout ships break the sound barrier whenever you turbo. 1200 km/h +
Mach 1 in Zone mode.

BlochNWhitey
10th August 2009, 08:34 AM
I think it'd be an interesting idea, and could be done quite well, as others said, if balanced correctly. Courses would be fun, as they'd have to be useable with both vehicles.

On the note with the characters, I think the first Wipeout did it best. ;D Kel Solarr ftw

GreenPhazon
10th August 2009, 09:05 AM
Actually, Wipeout ships break the sound barrier whenever you turbo. 1200 km/h +
Mach 1 in Zone mode.

That's like cruising speed for F-Zero machines

supersocks
20th August 2009, 09:00 PM
http://www.omamoka.com/stuff/super_sonic_x_ps3.jpg

Don't mind the name - I wasn't too familiar with a certain hedgehog series back then when I made that :redface:

SaturnReturn
20th August 2009, 10:00 PM
A whole series about a hedgehog? That sounds like a terrible idea for a game. It'll never take off. :lol

I like that game cover. Take hayden christiansen off the front and you're onto a winner. ;)

Nordschleifer.2200
21st August 2009, 08:44 AM
From visual comparation with dimensions of the driver inside the cockpit, WipeOut AG ships are almost as big as an F-16 Viper without wings; anyway, they're far bigger than any actual produced car. It would be fair game with AG ships to hit those floating motocycles and run away.

Hail Seizure
13th November 2009, 11:20 PM
I loved XGRA on the Xbox, up to the point where I unlocked the bikes that were fast enough to break the sound barrier on the zero-atmosphere sections. ;)

Lance
13th November 2009, 11:51 PM
}thinks{ mm... with zero atmosphere, there would be no sound waves and no speed of sound. Speed of sound would be zero, sorta. :D

Hail Seizure
14th November 2009, 12:42 AM
Exactly. But in XGRA, you still get the "breaking the sound barrier" graphical and sound effects even in a vacuum, when all the other sound effects are muted (which I consider a very nice touch btw. Shame they messed up with the sonic booms).

I probably shouldn't complain. More bang for your buck, I suppose. :D

F.E.I.S.A.R
14th November 2009, 01:13 PM
While reading this thread and its posts,I was thinking of Ace Combat 3 by Namco.Don't really know why,but it most likely is because of the "Tunnel Vision" Mission in both(JPN&USA)versions(I think)

Autechom
14th November 2009, 06:38 PM
Like Quantum Redshift XGRA was a really good future racer for the XBox. Only problems were these extra-contract-missions. Kill the other 7 racers. HOW??? Before I have the chance, some racer always had been killed by the AI, so that there weren´t enough racers left to kill. But I really played it a lot though it had some minor flaws. No Wipeout-clone, I think. But not as good as it anyhow (which is besides impossible : )).
But I didn´t like Extreme-G 3 that much...

AG-wolf
14th November 2009, 09:38 PM
That's like cruising speed for F-Zero machines

Damn straight ;) Fire Stingray could wipe the floor with even Piranha lol

As far as XG goes, I actually only ever really liked the first game... XG2 lost the feeling of momentum in the ships, XG3 had such a bad graphics engine that it actually interfered with the gameplay, and XGRA just felt like an attempt to reinvent the series to try and appeal to a wider audience.

I might just have been a little picky, too, I suppose. THe series was definitely a viable contender in the "futuristic racer" category :/ Whoever picked up the license after Acclaim died should try to do a new game and see what might come of it...

Either that, or throw the first one on Xbox Live Arcade like Rare did with Banjo Kazooie :D

Autechom
28th February 2010, 11:08 AM
BTW: Anybody who extracted (or however he got the music) the music from XGRA? I liked the soundtrack...

JABBERJAW
28th February 2010, 11:29 AM
It is not what the speed says, it is what it looks like on the screen. Fusion says you are going 3500 on zone mode, considerably faster than any other racing game, but you would never even really see the turn coming at that speed, or even the speed the other games are showing. To get under erics skin, the piranha looks faster than fzero, otherwise he would choose it in the tourney, right travis?

I would say though, the zone ship in fusion is the fastest racing speed visually I have seen, with the exception of feisar codes for xl.

HD is already a combo of fzero and wipeout proper(old games), no real pitch control except in the air, sideshifts.

I would rather not the combo myself, thinking both would somehow get ruined, but would like new titles from both.

XGRA was way too lenient when hitting the wall, not much slowdown at all, otherwise I liked the physics of it.

AG-wolf
28th February 2010, 02:43 PM
hey, hey al, I use Qirex because they look sexier than piranha... plus I can't fly piranha to save my life- it's just WALL... WALL... WALL... WALL.. kinda like me playing Pulse with ANY ship.

But you're right in regards to the "speed" of all the different games... I don't know if any of these racers actaully have some kind of "realistic" speedometer, I'm sure they're all arbitrary numbers.

Dan Locke
28th February 2010, 08:29 PM
Fatal Inertia has pretty realistic numbers.

Also, you have to remember that the ships in the Wipeout games are huge, so they seem to be moving slower from an external point of view.

OBH
2nd March 2010, 01:51 PM
wipeout > fzero > exG :)

JABBERJAW
2nd March 2010, 02:36 PM
fzero has the potential to be really good, but has to get rid of all the stupid crap it has in it, like snaking/flying/ skipping ENTIRE track, ect. The difficulty of it is really good. They also have to balance the top speed/acceleration thing. BUG TEST PLEASE

Autechom
2nd March 2010, 09:13 PM
F-Zero has a very good gameplay, but the music is not thaaat great and I don´t like all that stupid..."characters" in it. A trash factor I don´t miss in WO (Part 1 and Fusion aside). Well okay, I had no problems with the characters in Quantum Redshift. So many years ago...but besides XGRA the only good future racer.

Oh,and not to forgot Fatal Inertia. (ok,that was a joke)

ACE-FLO
3rd March 2010, 01:39 PM
LOL mate - I downloaded the trial version of Fatal Inertia EX... grrrt... er, what were they thinking? Game physics aint all that are they?

Never played extreme-G. Am curious now :?

Autechom
3rd March 2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I didn´t like Extreme 3 that much, but 4 (Xtreme G Racing Association). But Fatal Inertia: a FUTURE Racer and you only fly through pampa with shitty-cheap-rock music. Well, it is Koei game. Ever played Samurai Warriors? And remeber that music? Uaaaaahhahah, it suits the atmosphere...not. I guess,since it only costs 10 € by now I might buy fatal I..maybe...

ACE-FLO
3rd March 2010, 03:59 PM
it's like a bad version of WipEout Fusion - don't... but then again... we are crazy like that so :paperbag

IDReaper
3rd March 2010, 06:31 PM
I actually played Fatal Inertia a lot, the 360 version at that. I didn't think it was that bad, the vehicle customization was cool but it wasn't that great either. 6.5/10 seems about right, decent at least. I don't know how we could see Wipeout vs XG unless maybe the bikes in the fisrt game were bigger(no relative pilot to compare size). The style of racing is also so different that I don't think I could see the two on the same track with massive balance issues. I do hold a soft spot for Extreme G though since it was my first true introduction to futuristic racers. I had played original F-Zero before but the first XG really go the passion going =D.