PDA

View Full Version : Your Primary Racing Downfall

Vartazian
7th August 2009, 10:37 AM
So guys, We all have a problem on the track, Im not talking about not mastering a corner or something.

Im talking about something about us that hinders our performance on the track. so Im wondering what yours is.

Mine is a Double Edged sword, it both does me good and bad. And I know some people are aware of it on this forum.

My Rage issues.

I have a Enormous problem with letting my temper get out of hand. Its good because it gets that fire of competition inside me burning. However it is also my downfall because I start making stupid mistakes to start proving myself (Stopping for 3 seconds to shoot someone with rockets instead of just flying) also when Im angry I notice I either have one of 2 outcomes, I race flawlessly or I mess up a F@#$ton.

I cant take losing either. I fear people see me as weak if I lose a race, or a match (in ANY game not just wipeout)

Well, lets hear yours folks ;)

NeilSmith
7th August 2009, 10:55 AM
My weakness is my temper for when someone hits me with a missile when I'm in the lead, and it seems like every single ship that overtakes me has a weapon in store for my ship's rear end. My ex-PS3 controller was unfortunate to meet it's doom once because of it ;) But apart from that it's not anything as bad as this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBVmfIUR1DA ;)

Kyonshi
7th August 2009, 11:05 AM
Very honest and humble post Vartazian ;)

I must admit i got anger management problems... xD I can take losing, but not when i lose to a ridiculously bad pick-up frequency, for instance... Like yesterday, i was first for a long moment on the track, but the game never let me grab one single drop weapon, only ****ing Canons and Rockets, and sooner than expected, the second guy grab a missile and screws me up. Or like i get Quaked, i stop for an eternity, the guy who send it passes me, i restart but the other guy following after hit me with 3 rockets, he passes me, and i get stuck in a momentum where he picks every items up and i pass on inactive pads and the guy following me passes on them when they reactivate and shoots me down. Then after all that, i finally grab the freakin' Shield i needed all this time, if im not destroyed right away...

Another thing which makes me go mad is, like everybody knows me, is when i get stupid collision effects and get thrown out of the track because of it... Now wouldn't like to come across myself during these times... hehe

All of this made me test the durability of my coffee table many times, and discovered how powerful me shouting can be :lol I even broke a controller, yes.

So i know the feeling dude! Just practice saying "Goosefraba" :D

JJohnEames
7th August 2009, 11:07 AM
My downfall has to be playing the game for hours on end at a time. I get sleepy but i still keep playing [because im addicted, but we all are :p] and start to race dreadfully. So long story short, my biggest downfall is not knowing when to quit. :?

Another thing is lapping bombs. I can't count the amount of times i've lost races because the guy in last place decided to be spiteful. :turd

leungbok
7th August 2009, 11:11 AM
You don't know Sun tze ("Art or war") ? He says that to win a fight, you must be prepared and accept defeat. ;)

Vartazian
7th August 2009, 11:14 AM
Im Very Affiliated with Sun Tzu's Art of War.

However a Great Warrior (racer in my case) Shouldnt lose, He Doesnt make mistakes. Therefore I get angry at myself for making flaws. I get more angry at my failure as a pilot more then at other racers for shooting me.

yeldar2097
7th August 2009, 12:09 PM
I can think of three main issues with my online play...

- If I get spun 180 degrees (happens far too often, what gives?) then I find it hard to motivate myself to race properly... Yes, I'm a quitter :(

- I race to get good times, in my opinion beating people should (hopefully) be a by-product of this. This means that
(more often than not) I will absorb any weapon I have unless it's a turbo, AP or shield. This means that (more often than not)
I get shat on when there are more than 3 people in a room...

- I'm not a tactician. I don't think about whether I have enough energy to BR. If I have enough energy, it happens and that's that.
This means that unless I'm way ahead of the pack and/or get lucky, I will be eliminated during the course of a race.
Recently I've been playing with SFX turned off so I can't tell when I'm critical either :P

An insight into the way I race. :D

Amorbis
7th August 2009, 12:41 PM
My main reason for not doing as well as others is because I'm not as skilled and devoted as everyone else. I don't race to win, I race because I enjoy racing and I don't race to get records online. If I win then that's great ;). I do get annoyed if I'm racing competitively such as in an international game and I feel as though I'm letting others down, but that's under different circumstances.

I don't like lag, the biggest non-skill related influence on my racing. There isn't much I can do about being knocked around all over the track. If seven ships collide into me around the first bend then I'm quite demotivated for the rest of the race :(.

finngers
7th August 2009, 12:43 PM
I play this game stoned the majority of the time so while I probably stay cooler then some of you who seem to get irritated with losing or getting shot I space out a lot and routinely pull really stupid shite like airbraking the wrong way or sideshifting way too much and susbequently slamming into the inside of a corner :brickwall

Then again the reason I could be less competitive or irritable is because I'm always about 5+ seconds off the pace with those who are really good but whatever lol

DividedXZero
7th August 2009, 01:41 PM
Lol @ Kyonshi (you're talking about Modest last night right?)

I have sever anger issues, but they never arise in a game....i guess it's because i play my games for fun and to get away from stress. Now i do get frustrated at time. And when odd things happen like getting weapon r@ped I just chuckle or laugh sarcastically thinking "Aww, you think that was cute(or funny) dont you...?"

I can be very competitve, but i know my limits compared to some of the elite. So as long i do my best knowing what my best is, i'm generally content.

But beside the bump the track and float in the air effects, i hate it when i do a sharp turn and brake improperly and end up going OVER the edge of the track in mid turn...so frustrating.

Happened on the 2nd to last turn on Talons Junction fwd and on the U-turn turn (where you BR) on Sol 2 fwd. :?

djKyoto
7th August 2009, 03:00 PM
The French.

IH8YOU
7th August 2009, 03:07 PM
Lapping bombs and mines has fuct me out of many personal best times.

Lag / vista pads are also brutal.

Racing anyone from the first page of Connavars website when set to "overall ranking" is a problem too.

SaturnReturn
7th August 2009, 03:20 PM
1. I can never get into the same zone when racing online as I can in Time Trials. Even in TT it takes me ages to get up to speed.

2. Tension. I don't get angry or swear at the screen. I just get really tense. This results in hand pain, which is currently preventing me from playing. It manifests in other ways too. I usually play in a very bad position. I sit a bit like the thinking man (http://www.tradingmetro.com/images/mot89.png), but with a 6-axis or DS3 in my hands. Leaning on my knees and being very tense leads to pain in my knees. I need to either relax, or let it out somehow. Ideally I would find a happy medium where I can race well whilst also relaxed. But good performance only seems to come for me when I have the controller in some kind of crazy death grip. In fact, I should probably just play less or care less.

Rubix42
7th August 2009, 03:34 PM
For me it quite simply a lack of time that is my downfall. I am positive I have the skills and reflexes required to play Wipeout at a high level, but I don't have nearly enough time. 4-5 hours a week is not going to get me to that point.

But knowing that, it helps me from feeling upset when I don't win while playing against the better pilots. I do get frustrated when I can get out into first place and then as soon as 1 person hits you, another person or 2 others will hit you as well. Losing the lead and 50% of your energy in one shot stinks.

Spece2goin
7th August 2009, 03:38 PM
@Rubix42 : i know it, i was in the same situation before stealing the PS3 from my brother :D

my downfall you say? beeing ramed like mad! sometimes, wipeout looks more like destruction derby or something else, but nothing clean and smoth...
racing against people who do not know airbraking and go into me at full speed instead of turning behind me.
so they turn, and i'm ejected outside the curve...

RedScar
7th August 2009, 03:57 PM
Collisions and rage, resulting in even crappier then normal racing

sny
7th August 2009, 04:06 PM
For me it's inconsistency. I might win, say, an Ubermall race finishing eleven seconds before the 2nd place player, and when the host restarts the same track with the same game settings, I end up finishing 7th or 8th, and it's not always because I got hit in the first lap by a missile or two. I just can't become consistent in my online performance. Practicing speed laps helps a lot, of course, but even on tracks I know fairly well, I get sessions where I just start bouncing off the walls for no apparent reason other than a momentary lapse of attention.

stinkleroy
7th August 2009, 04:35 PM
I'm in agreement with you sny. Inconsistency is certainly my greatest downfall...oh and the last place mines and bombs too, grrrr :lol

Lance
7th August 2009, 04:39 PM
Losing concentration when I can't stop my mind from thinking too much about things that may or may not have anything to do with the game.

Getting tired out too fast on Phantom speed. Sometimes I can be done after only half a dozen races, and just don't feel like racing anymore.

BTW, both of these downfalls are solo offline; I don't race online.

DividedXZero
7th August 2009, 04:41 PM
^ Just curious Lance....no online, how come?
(Your awesomeness @ WO would blow our minds? )

IH8YOU
7th August 2009, 04:53 PM
Something tells me if Lance were online in WOHD - Kigo would begin foaming at the mouth.

Call it a hunch.

RedScar
7th August 2009, 04:56 PM
LOL IH8YOU!
Oh how I want to see it so now, lets start a "Buy Lance a PS3 fund" (he doesn't have 1 right? memory is failing me more often these days)

Lance
7th August 2009, 04:58 PM
My racing skills are certainly not mind-blowingly awesome. My internet connection is through a wireless router in the house of my friend next door. I don't even know if I can connect the console properly to the net, but in reality, I just don't actually care, because racing online just seems to be full of frustrating glitches that I don't want to deal with and too large a percentage of childish people who are poor losers and even worse winners. I find that the older I get, the less crap I am willing to put up with. If I'm going to do something for fun, I want it to be fun.

RedScar, you remember correctly; I don't have a PS3 and I've very little incentive to get one.

DividedXZero
7th August 2009, 05:02 PM
Oh... i see.
Well i completely understand the "what you're willing to put up with" aspect.
But overall, in WO racing, few and far between do i encounter childish ppl or negative losers/winners.

As far as the glitches go, yeah i completely understand soiling (did i spell that right?) your wipeout experience and sticking with what you know is fun.

-I just like the variety of circumstances you get in an online race that the AI couldnt reproduce offline. ;)

Lance
7th August 2009, 05:06 PM
I've had a lot of fun competing for best times in challenges here on the WZ. Good people and no irritations.

Kyonshi
7th August 2009, 05:37 PM
Lol @ Kyonshi (you're talking about Modest last night right?)

I have sever anger issues, but they never arise in a game....i guess it's because i play my games for fun and to get away from stress. Now i do get frustrated at time. And when odd things happen like getting weapon r@ped I just chuckle or laugh sarcastically thinking "Aww, you think that was cute(or funny) dont you...?"

I can be very competitve, but i know my limits compared to some of the elite. So as long i do my best knowing what my best is, i'm generally content.

But beside the bump the track and float in the air effects, i hate it when i do a sharp turn and brake improperly and end up going OVER the edge of the track in mid turn...so frustrating.

Happened on the 2nd to last turn on Talons Junction fwd and on the U-turn turn (where you BR) on Sol 2 fwd. :?

LOL @ me on Modesto, like you said :D i almost crapped my pants that time :lol

But you forgot to mention that you take Sol 2 very personal and ask for replays when you're not satisfied with your performance :P

Darkdrium777
7th August 2009, 05:48 PM
Another thing which makes me go mad is, like everybody knows me, is when i get stupid collision effects and get thrown out of the track because of it...Tell me about it. I now learned to take it with a laugh, but the other day that Talons Junction one (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143326&postcount=10) was just too much. I admit to raging a little then.

Lance
7th August 2009, 05:49 PM
You guys are confirming my reasons for not racing online! :D

DividedXZero
7th August 2009, 06:00 PM
But you forgot to mention that you take Sol 2 very personal and ask for replays when you're not satisfied with your performance :P

Uhm....I didn't forget.... LOL ;)

I just didn't mention it...

billychanxtr33m
7th August 2009, 08:23 PM
as much as i hate quiters in online matches, going off course twice will make me quit unconditionally. i dont even think about it, its just a knee jerk reaction.

jimsin
7th August 2009, 11:21 PM
I always seem to get an itchy nose in zone mode when hitting subsonic :(

BlochNWhitey
7th August 2009, 11:57 PM
Mine has to be a mix between lag, and people in my racing line, I REALLY hate when I'm trying to make a turn and there's someone right in the way.

I'm in the same boat as Lance though, I rarely ever race online, maybe one or two times a month.. and lag/horrible hosts will usually kill it for me.

IH8YOU
8th August 2009, 01:10 AM
as much as i hate quiters in online matches, going off course twice will make me quit unconditionally. i dont even think about it, its just a knee jerk reaction.

That's too bad - then you shall never know the ecstasy of coming back and winning after some epic (#*$ ups.

For me, it completely nullifies my (@*$ups in the first place - and occasionally adds 2" to my e-di*k.

Why isn't mine Holms status you say? Because every time I race a Frenchie - I lose 3". Those guys are brutal.

superpj1
8th August 2009, 04:11 AM
I have a Enormous problem with letting my temper get out of hand. Its good because it gets that fire of competition inside me burning. However it is also my downfall because I start making stupid mistakes to start proving myself (Stopping for 3 seconds to shoot someone with rockets instead of just flying) also when Im angry I notice I either have one of 2 outcomes, I race flawlessly or I mess up a F@#$ton.

I cant take losing either. I fear people see me as weak if I lose a race, or a match (in ANY game not just wipeout)

Well, lets hear yours folks ;)

First of all thanks for this great topic Vartazian, now we don't feel alone :D

I'm a cool guy but I sometimes lose my temper too ! Especially when I race very good players like xbarnsterx, robcoxy, or a few others. It's psychological, I know that they are skilled and will make virtually no mistakes so I "overplay", I fly too close to the lines or try impossible things and finally I fail miserably :p but I always stay fairplay, it's important ;)

And yes, like you I sometimes fear what people will think when I lose. When you're ranked 40+ and you lose vs people ranked 10 you feel ashamed, yet having a low rank doesn't always mean the guy is weak, and anyway it's just a game :+

lunar
8th August 2009, 09:57 PM
Good therapy topic. My main issue is lack of time - more of that could cure some other issues. More practice just makes you fly better lines without trying.

My main downfall is that when I play online I cannot enter the "zone" of piloting that I can offline. I am divorced from the ship, not in the moment and not fully concentrating. I`m rarely focussed offline, but online I am several degrees more detached. I forget to concentrate, and won`t allow myself to, sometimes. What makes a really strong pilot is not just reaction times, motor skills etc, it is also the ability to enter the right mental state where skills can reach their true potential, I think.

I accept all that and do enjoy playing online, I just have to avoid it after a very bad day or it will be a worse day. ;)

CJS
9th August 2009, 07:16 AM
People can get seriously pissed online. Quite scary.
I've pretty much come this close to snapping my controller in half every time i phail the BR onto the Anulpha Pass bridge. And after the 3rd fail, it respawns you upside down, which makes me want to scream, "I hate Zico" etc. really loud. Another is when your controller runs out of charge and you just coast to the side of the track and everyone passes you. That happened in the last lap of my Motion Master run, and I was WINNING.

eLhabib
9th August 2009, 05:41 PM
Good therapy topic. My main issue is lack of time - more of that could cure some other issues.

^this.
really wish I could play more right now, haven't touched the game for over a week.

LOUDandPROUD
10th August 2009, 04:34 PM
My mega-inconsistent racing lines. Done and done.

Aeroracer
10th August 2009, 04:35 PM
My strength in racing is being able to lose to a superior opponent and not to be unhappy but rather learn and incorperate thier style into mine and mkae me better at the game.

My weakness is getting annoyed with myself when i dont perform to my full ability, this makes me feel like not bothering to practice which wont make me better at the game.:nod:nod

Chuckzombie
10th August 2009, 05:02 PM
My general ham-fistedness and fat, clumsy fingers. I even struggle on the race menu! God knows how many people I've accidently "nudged" when I'm trying to adjust the menu filters! :eek

KGB
10th August 2009, 07:40 PM
Wanting to race Phantom on the new tracks, when i would be better off on Venom. I seem to want to run before i can walk. Exploded half a lap into Modesto, all of my own doing, not a weapon in sight today. I think it must be because the track is so narrow, or it seems that way to me. ;)

LOUDandPROUD
10th August 2009, 08:15 PM
Oh, it's quite narrow, I assure you. I hate that track...

sh1kamaru-
10th August 2009, 09:06 PM

loool it was the same for me and guess what? subsonic is now my favourite speed but at the beginning I couldn't restrain myself from wanting to sneeze or scratch my ears, it's like when the weather is really sunny, it makes you sneeze though you aren't ill :D

My downfalls :
- the noise around me while I'm playing, I have so much difficulties in getting concentrated, that really loses me :)
- during online play when the race becomes to be full of mines, bombs, missiles whatsoever, like yeldar I'd expect people to go as fast as they could, absorbing everything but turbos :)

Lightlord
10th August 2009, 09:46 PM
For me its more bad luck with weapon pad items more than anything else, really helps to have an auto pilot or rockets or cannon while in 1st place hmm yes love those items at those times lol.

Vartazian
11th August 2009, 08:45 AM
yeldar I'd expect people to go as fast as they could, absorbing everything but turbos :)

Lol As yeldar puts it, Im the King of Bombland when I race him.

Isnt that right yeldar? ;)

XBARNSTERX
11th August 2009, 09:06 AM
My racing downfalls are noises around me, the phone ringing and knocks at the door. Your in first place by 5 seconds whilse deciding should you answer the door/phone or hope whoever it is waits long enough for the race to finish.

Bombs left by back droppers when your on for a personal best, warning less quakes, pushers:bomb and the top pilots around who show no mercy:beer

DDark
11th August 2009, 12:40 PM
My downfall is when i play with about another three or four people a fair bit less experienceed i toy around with them so much by slowing down to kill them and shooting off in front that at the end of the race they all quit and i have to find somewhere else to race and if they recoqnize my name they quit when i join i actually had one person flip out could hear him screeming im the only person racing against you if you know your gonna win just do it dont slow down and be a ***** go on eliminator insted

Lance
11th August 2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah, you were probably giving out "cruel and unusual punishment". :)

DDark
11th August 2009, 02:44 PM
I did feel a bit tight after hearing that guy go mental i try to find rooms with people ranked around thirty but its hard to find anything with all the eliminators going on one thing that lets me down most is turbo ing into people cos we all take the best racing lines i get a turbo giving me the chance to get to the front of the pack and smack im at a standstill dont spose theres a trick to get going quicker again is there shaking my control up and down like im on a horse doesnt seem to do the job :?

LOUDandPROUD
11th August 2009, 04:10 PM
DDark - You are king of the run-on sentence! :p

blackwiggle
11th August 2009, 05:20 PM
My racing downfall is getting either multiple invites to race & or chat rooms once people see I'm online or it seems once I do come online a "He's online I'll message him" situation occurs.

OT : A lot of silly "In fighting/Bitching" going on atm between forum members
It's ONLY a FU(king GAME.
You have a head,use what's inside it please.
I won't take sides as I refuse to get involved.

SL future patch request: a secretary please.:rolleyes:

Lance
11th August 2009, 07:44 PM
DDark's 'period' key doesn't work. :g And the shift key only works at the beginning of a sentence once.

shapealot
11th August 2009, 08:46 PM
i have a few downfalls racing online:?

like superpj1 said i also "overplay" if i see big names in a race which results in some stupid mistakes when i shoulda just stuck with racing line. id go for a shortcut an mess up the landing or take corners to sharp tryna catch up.

lag! sometimes i start 4-10 secs behind everybody else, u know this is gona happen because u can see the ships rising off the floor around u as the countdown begins. if its happened to u ya know what i mean.

last night id get half way into a race and it would disconnect from the server or id get a lag start again. i was going from host to host blowing up in front of people mid race.

broken weapon pads when im low on energy, im just waiting to hear "missile"

RaiderHutch
12th August 2009, 04:07 PM
I tend to get a bit overaggressive with my barrel rolls when I'm not in the lead. As a result I usally get into trouble with neglecting my shield!

My other big downfall is following too closely to other racers usually making me a very easy target for rockets/mines/bombs. I need to learn to stop tailgating thats for sure.

Aeroracer
13th August 2009, 06:01 PM

hahaha...Me too..but i get it on zen upwards so my nose must be more sensitive than yours.:nod:nod:nod

Hellfire_WZ
13th August 2009, 10:32 PM
Probably rage quitting for me

I never do it just because something isn't going my way, but I usually find myself doing it in two cases. If the race is lagging by more than I'm comfortable with, I'll drop. usually when I'm getting hit by non-existent weapons or not everyone gets off the grid at the same time. The other one is if a race turns into a ramfest. Not deliberate I know, but it does my head in when you can't take a single corner without being pole-axed.

In terms of racing itself, probably my weapon usage. I can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo ;)

Tsunam49
13th August 2009, 10:40 PM
I got 2 big ways to phail epcily :P

The first is that after a while, IE: after two or three races i start to day dream in race about random stuff so i am racing but my mid is elsewhere, so i don't give my best. Like today i started recalling a star trek rerun i saw this morning!

The second is i really let the pressure of the race get to me and get all messed up in the head and start ping ponging all over the place, you do the math :(

Aeroracer
14th August 2009, 01:53 AM
My new racing downfall is being to considerate to other players in my room by playing many varied tracks including the ones i cant play..hence lose...lol

But im happy doing it.i will one day be able to play all tracks.

Nothing worse than going into some room only to play the same track (hosts favourite ) over and over, variety is spice of life.:nod:nod:nod:nod

MEKAGORI
14th August 2009, 08:03 AM
My weakness is being too nice actually...

If I'm leading in first by more than 5 secnods I usually slow down to let people catch up to me, especially if it's a 1 on 1 race with a friend.

ingvildr
14th August 2009, 08:56 AM
Mine has to do with doing too well, quite a few times last night i would ace the first half to two thirds of something to then mess up in ways that i have never done before.

I'll say to myself, "right keep it together and this lap is going to be awesome"..... smash.

Lightlord
15th August 2009, 12:06 AM
My only other downfall for me would have to be the sheer frustration when WOHD crashes it pisses me right off to the point where I feel like playing something else, constantly happens when I'm first and what feels like a good lap time gets ruined by the crash. Sort it out Studio Liverpool!!!

Handmadelion
15th August 2009, 03:01 AM
That's a similar thing with me, especially if you hang around a community such as the one here and others across platforms and various games where the best tend to hang out. If you play with these people, you would like to perform well enough to set some example and reputation for yourself. And not just bomb the big one.

Following ships, I am usually good about not doing this. But with certain key corners of some tracks and parts of the courses there are very few lines to differentiate yourself from. For example, when I was bad I didn't hit any mines or any bombs. But when I became better, I start hitting bombs and mines because the good racers drop them on the good lines. And that's inevitably where our experience racing will lead us.

I do tend to get nervous when higher ranked players, good racing players, and more known players are in the same game as me. And then the wall-banging usually begins. Nothing major, just not as sharp as I would like to be (notice how i didn't say "just not as sharp as I normally am") and their leads stretch.

Artieficial
16th August 2009, 10:53 PM
My downfall is also inconsistency, and probably the fact that I don't play as much as I could. I try to squeeze in some Wipeout-time every day, but that time ranges from 20 minutes up to an hour or two ( the latter being a rarity ). Oh, almost forgot - I still can't maneuver the HD-tracks in reverse on Phantom -speed without crashing every two seconds... :D

Oryx Crake
17th August 2009, 09:29 PM
Hello guys New here so this'll be my first post!

My primary downfall is that I never deviate from my racing line if I can help it, this is both good and bad as this means that I will get shot or bumped by other players quite alot. BUT it also means that when I loose the pack I can often rack up quite a good lead as I have a practiced line that I know my way around(also one that I have put quite alot of thought into) so that I dont have to think when driving.

bit of a double-edged sword as I think someone said earlier...

nice to be on here too, give me a holler if you see me on in game (same user name as here)

guggle
19th August 2009, 09:53 PM
My downfall seems to be that I am a mine/bomb magnet!! It usually happens not long after the race has started - I'm racing competively, not necessarily leading the race, but in the leading bunch, and then some mines or a well placed bomb pushes me back, and I am unable to recover from there...:frown:

Aeroracer
20th August 2009, 12:58 AM
Apparently having a special ship with a device built in that attracts every fired weapon into my butt.:hyper:hyper

DISRUPTOR
20th August 2009, 01:38 AM
My greatest downfall would probally be having less than two hours playing time on the game. With 4 online races under my belt.

This game is more difficult than i thought it would be.