PDA

View Full Version : WipEout Storyline?

Dr. Angryman
2nd August 2009, 03:10 PM
I was playing Wip3out and my sister noticed all the team logos and billboards. She asked me what they were and I gave her a lengthy explanation on each teams niche in the WipEout world. Then I realized that all the "story" comes from writing in the game booklet or on the internet.

What I'm trying to get at is could future iterations of WipEout pull off a plotline involving companies and team rivalries? And could it show clearly while playing in races and tournaments?

ACE-FLO
2nd August 2009, 03:32 PM
Damn - I've repped you already, need to spread some around again...

Yes - I too would think that a storyline should be included in future wipeouts, there's a massive scope to develop a story in a format such as Wipeout imo. And for the same reasons you mention above.

You know, imo - the game is so cool in terms of styling, graphics, playability, that even watching vids of other pilots on youtube has become a past-time for me. Spectator mode on HD is awesome, like watching something live (well - technically, it is live anyway)

I would like to see an anime of Wipeout being released in the near future - the storymode would be just... just... just... (what's the word I'm looking for?)...

Well, it would be so good that words fail me right now!

Darkdrium777
3rd August 2009, 12:59 AM
Wipeout has this huge background story (http://www.wipeout.netsan.fr/) surrounding it, detailing a utopian futuristic and idealistic society. IMO it would be very interesting to read or perhaps even play it.
I was very interested in Mass Effect for that reason: the pure society where everything is perfect. It turns out that it actually isn't for Mass Effect, but Wipeout has that same appeal.

ACE-FLO
3rd August 2009, 01:45 AM
Really? I didn't know that! I clicked the link but my PSP displays "not enough memory, page will be displayed at reduced quality" and then I get a frozen page - and a blank one at that lol.

So, I'll check tomorrow from the PC. Thanks for the informative post!

Dr. Angryman
3rd August 2009, 03:21 AM
I always thought of writing a WipEout novel of sorts.... But I doubt a publisher would take me seriously. :lol

Haywire_Guy
3rd August 2009, 06:21 AM
Wow thanks for the link Darkdrium 777, very interesting read indeed =D. (a great break from reading Utopia, I was falling asleep every 10 mins and the "perfect world" concept is similar, only 1000x cooler in the wipeout universe)

Btw has has anyone ever heard of Cyber Formula? Its a anime based on transforming futuristic F-1 standard vehicles and was successful enough in Japan to spwan 2 series containing over 52 eps with 6 special edition OVA's, and subsequently create over 8 different games all optimised for the playstation series. (sept a couple crappy nintendo rubbish ><) The latest one was for the PSP in late 2008.

The anime was created 3 years after i was born (1996) so probably a lot of the older people here woud've heard of it? (no offence to old people, loving Wipeout already makes you a superstar in my eyes)

Its a good example of a Futuristic racer anime turned good, and can be a pretty good template for a Wipeout series should it begin production. (F-zero was also an anime but personally i found the plot development really slow, and frankly, rather boring)

Mu5
3rd August 2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah I love the cars in Cyber Formula :D Can you buy it in English, or is it just available with subtitiles? Ive never followed the story...is it any good yeah?

I have a half finished model of one of the vehicles in 'aero mode' - The car designs rock my socks off :D :+

It would be very cool to see some Wipeout Anime :)

Haywire_Guy
3rd August 2009, 12:55 PM
Unfortunately the yanks gave the series juuuust short off standing ovation and in effect was never dubbed for english audiences, and even the subbed version was discontinued after a mere 8 months. (started in 2003, ended in 2004 >=(

Wow you have some models =D? Been looking for those for ages thought they died out as fast as Wipeout for the PC did. (which coincidentally was my first ever Wipeout game). Would you mine showing me (+ the community) some photos =P?

Anyway the story was probably as good as you can get for a romance/racing sim but i watched the series mainly for the hi speed transformable races. If you want to buy the English subbed version heres some links thru eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cyber-Formula-GPX-Bandai-Anime-Legends-Set-US-Release_W0QQitemZ400063745944QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item5d25a84f98&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cyber-Formula-Boxed-Set-Excellent-DVD-Artist-Not-Pr_W0QQitemZ260455483422QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_ HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item3ca45b481e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14