PDA

View Full Version : Is Wipeout time real time?

jimsin
2nd August 2009, 01:49 PM
Again, apologies in advance if this has been covered before - I can't find a thread about it though.

Sometimes I have races where everything seems to go perfectly, and during others there's just one disaster after another .... yet whenever I see the timesheet at the end, there never seems to be more than about six seconds difference between my good times and bad ones.

Now I know that a second is a long time in the world of Wipeout - but I can't help feeling that there ought to be more of a differential ... which led me to questioning whether or not the race times are actually genuine or not.

I think they are probably are correct for online races, speed laps and time trials - but was wondering if anybody has ever sat with a stopwatch and checked to see if the Wipeout racetime runs at the same rate as realtime?

If they haven't, then I'll give it a go and post back here :S

GreenPhazon
2nd August 2009, 02:19 PM
Time isn't the important factor. Time is a chain to tie down existence. Speed is what's important. Speed is freedom.

nWo
2nd August 2009, 02:32 PM
there is no God but Speed, and Perfect Lap is His Prophet. Every time when there is perfect lap there is good speed. But you have to practise.

yeldar2097
2nd August 2009, 02:46 PM
so long as it's consistent i'm not really sure it matters.
i'm pretty sure it is real time though
one thing you must remember is that without a ghost it is very hard to tell how fast you are going, regardless of how many turbos you get. the difference between going round a track very well and going around a track like a frenchman (not that i like to steriotype at all :P) can be very great indeed in terms of time.
just something to bear in mind....not sure if it's actually appropriate but oh well :lol

IH8YOU
2nd August 2009, 03:19 PM
Without time there is no speed. Kilometers per HOUR, Miles per HOUR, feet per SECOND. On a track where length is constant - measuring yourself against time is locked in step with speed. If you were 4 seconds faster on VK than before - you were also faster.

I'm not sure about race times - but I can say the concept of time in the stats screen is a bit skewed. After erasing the game and all data - and reinstalling - I checked my stats after 3 or so races - total game time was 14 minutes - total time spent in the air was 9 minutes.

What do they mean by "in the air" ? I thought it was over jumps, and way off the track - but no way I did 9 minutes of airtime in just 14 minutes of playing.

jimsin
2nd August 2009, 04:11 PM
Hmmm ... just did the stopwatch thing, and despite grinding up against some walls, and generally larking about on the track, the time on the timesheet did seem to match the time on the stopwatch - maybe I should have checked that before posting in the first place, but at least the answer is here incase anybody asks the question in future :S

Thanks for the esoteric answers from GreenPhazon and nWo - sounds like you have spent too long at Zen speed or whatever they call it (still haven't reached that yet).

IH8YOU - yes, those stats do sound a bit skewed - although since we're not actually touching the ground, then perhaps it would be true to say that you had been in the air for 14/14 minutes.

yeldar2097 - yes, I guess you hit the nail on the head - without a ghost it's easy to completely lose track of how fast or slow you're going over an entire race distance. I'm still surprised there's not more of a difference between my good and bad race times - it's probably because my good times are really just mediocre :D

GreenPhazon
2nd August 2009, 05:04 PM
Without time there is no speed. Kilometers per HOUR, Miles per HOUR, feet per SECOND.
Warp 9. Supersonic. Lightspeed.

billychanxtr33m
2nd August 2009, 06:12 PM
Time isn't the important factor. Time is a chain to tie down existence. Speed is what's important. Speed is freedom.
if there are ever wipeout zone tshirts, this quote is what needs to be on those shirts

Lance
2nd August 2009, 06:27 PM
There is no such thing as time. What we call time is a mere mathematical calculation, a concept in the human mind. All that actually exists is matterenergy in motion.

Thus sayeth Lance. :turboeyeroll: :g

tileon
2nd August 2009, 06:28 PM
the difference between going round a track very well and going around a track like a frenchman (not that i like to steriotype at all :P) can be very great indeed in terms of time.
:lol

Tu sais ce qu'il te dit le français? :o
Let's sort this out on track, see who's slow/retarded :rock:lol

Lance
2nd August 2009, 06:30 PM
Around here, Frenchmen have a reputation for being especially fast. Merely going around the track very well just isn't good enough. :)

IH8YOU
2nd August 2009, 06:40 PM
Warp 9. Supersonic. Lightspeed.

Light YEAR ;)

tileon
2nd August 2009, 06:45 PM
It's alright, no offence there :beer

True, in wipeout, speed matters more than time, look at Zone Battle, you fight not against the lack of time, but against the lack of speed.

GreenPhazon
2nd August 2009, 07:04 PM
Light YEAR ;)

"She may not look like much but she'll make point five past lightspeed"
- Han Solo on his 'piece of junk'

yeldar2097
2nd August 2009, 08:25 PM
Around here, Frenchmen have a reputation for being especially fast. Merely going around the track very well just isn't good enough. :)

glad someone cleared that up :D i was getting worried for a second there...