PDA

View Full Version : Borrowing a PSP and WOPure

Cerbis
31st July 2009, 10:04 PM
Hey guys! I recently found myself able to borrow a PSP and a copy of Wipeout Pure. I've been working through the Tournament option and Zone modes and
I'm wondering if there's much else to the game.

Time Trial and the other gameplay options don't feel very appealing as I'm nowhere close to practiced with the handling, and the general ergonomics
of the PSP is threatening to give me early onset of carpal tunnel syndrome!

I suppose you can call me a bit spoiled by the rich and varied online options in Wipeout HD + Fury but I'm feeling like there's less to get in Pure.
Comparing Pure to the demo of Pulse, I also notice a lack of technological advancement and polish...
I guess I'm just wondering if there's anything to the game I can't already get more of in Wipeout HD?

Oh, and also. The handling feels a lot closer to the old PS1 Wipeouts than it does to Wipeout HD. How close would you say it is?

Sausehuhn
1st August 2009, 11:02 AM
Pure came before Pulse, so maybe that's the reason why, graphically, Pulse is ahead. ;) Though I have to admit, I like Pure's style more. It's not über neon and stuff.
Did you download the expansion packs already? Because those really double the content of the game in the end; with new ships, new tracks, new music, new artwork in the gallery and new menu skins.
Multiplayer via Xlink Kai is a lot of fun and works pretty good; and it's for the skilled people who don't like respawning ;)

Cerbis
1st August 2009, 12:09 PM
Oh, I know that Pulse came after Pure! I was just making a casual comparison, haha! Studio Liverpool did some really, really nice work with Pulse, I have to say.
I did manage to get the expansion packs downloaded... after a lot of searching. Turns out Sony didn't bother updating the websites after they canned yourpsp.com...
Nice stuff, but I prefer the liveries in HD ;)

I think part of the reason why I don't like Pure quite as much as HD is because my hands infallably start hurting after a good session.
Cool as the PSP is, it's not very ergonomic for someone with as big hands as me!

Are there still people playing Pure online, really? I would've guessed everyone migrated over to Pulse...

All in all however, I'm happy to play Pure. It did after all reinvigorate the Wipeout series after slump following the high point of Wip3out, as far as I've been able to tell.
It was interesting to read the oldest posts in the Pure board, seeing all that mounting excitement and hope!
Coming from Wipeout HD it's a bit of a history lesson, playing Pure and reading about it.

I think that I'll be handing back the game soon, though. I don't feel as bitten by Pure as by HD + Fury... and HD is a bit, bit easier I feel. :dizzy

Cheers, mates. :beer

Darkdrium777
3rd August 2009, 12:19 AM
Search no more for the DLC packs for PurE: They are all here (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ac4e894ae36fb46dd9d5c56d04dfa8b0965a36f0 b42feb03c95965eaa7bc68bc).

Check it out to make sure you found everything. ;)

Cerbis
3rd August 2009, 01:37 AM
Thanks, Darkdrium! But it looks like I had it all... and I've now handed back the PSP. My thumbs thank me dearly for it, I assure you! Was fun while it lasted, though, the little trip down nostalgia avenue! :beer

KamatsuKyoto
3rd August 2009, 02:44 PM
Search no more for the DLC packs for PurE: They are all here (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ac4e894ae36fb46dd9d5c56d04dfa8b0965a36f0 b42feb03c95965eaa7bc68bc).

Check it out to make sure you found everything. ;)

Wow. Great Compilation Darkdrium777!

But, i notice one thing: In the US Pack, in the Readme, is a mention to the Oblivion Pack. But the Oblivion Pack is EU only, right? (And the pack isn't in the zip that all)

Darkdrium777
3rd August 2009, 05:38 PM
It's probable that I made a mistake (ReadMe is essentially a copy/paste for each region). If so I will correct it. ;)

DawnFireDragoon
3rd August 2009, 09:59 PM
Oh, and also. The handling feels a lot closer to the old PS1 Wipeouts than it does to Wipeout HD. How close would you say it is?

Hi there.

i'd say pretty close, i rank wipeout pure up there with the original trilogy both in terms of handling and general design, and echo the previous comments about its art style been more in line with what i think wipeout should look like (less neon and transparency please)

i think it's a great game!

enjoy :)

Darkdrium777
3rd August 2009, 11:29 PM
I corrected the mistake, it should be fine now :)

Frances_Penfold
4th August 2009, 07:30 PM
Hey Cerbis, you may want to try one of Hori's PSP grip systems-- they are really well designed and make a WORLD of difference for the ergonomics of the PSP, at least for me. I pretty much only play Pure/Pulse with one of these, and find it to be about as comfortable as a normal PS3 controller :)

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bh-49-en-70-39zr.html

Cerbis
5th August 2009, 12:20 AM
That definetly looks like a plus to ergonomics! Now if it wasn't just a BORROWED PSP I'd probably look into it... but alas.
Thanks for the tip, though!

Frances_Penfold
5th August 2009, 01:16 AM
No problem-- hopefully a PSP and a copy of WOP will end up in your possession, so that we have more folks playing the game ;)

I am actually surprised more folks don't have ergonomic issues with PSP. It's a beautiful design to be sure but with the rounded corners, my hands tend to cup around the base, putting unnecessary pressure on my wrists.

I kinda wish that there were more first-party "grip" solutions for handhelds. Hori makes excellent products (grips, screen protectors, carrying cases) but there are a lot of low quality third party accessories made by other companies.