PDA

View Full Version : Player inconsistency

bik3rluke
27th July 2009, 05:29 PM
Sometimes I log on WipEout HD and I feel that I'm a very good pilot, but other times I just can't stay off the wall and finish last pretty much every time. Am I alone or does anyone else suffer with this problem?

yeldar2097
27th July 2009, 05:34 PM
come last in every race today :(
or maybe that's normal...

IDReaper
27th July 2009, 05:40 PM
I get that too. I find that although there is a high degree of practice and skill involved in wipeout that sometimes my set up for a turn is just wrong and sometimes it's just bad luck. Or Rubix pushing me over the Modesto wall:naughty

SaturnReturn
27th July 2009, 05:42 PM
This thread isn't what I thought it was going to be. With such a poor title, people who want to sympathise with you might not be able to find it. I can totally see the point for the thread below.

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=140205#post140205

Anyway, it happens to all of us. We have good days and bad. It probably helps to warm up with some Time Trial or something to really get into it and focus. But then if your first few online races, you get destroyed, then focus is gone very quickly. If you're finding you suck, go do something else for a while, then come back and start over. Alternatively, if you're doing single races and thinking you suck, you might just not be winning any. Try a tournament and you might feel better because consistently coming third could win it for you, whereas in single races, you would feel crap because you never won a race.

bik3rluke
27th July 2009, 05:51 PM
I was writing another thread and forgot to change that title -- my apologies. I would edit but it won't let me.

Rubix42
27th July 2009, 07:26 PM
It happens. For me it normally comes down to my degree of being tired. I'm normally only at my peak of wipeout performance for about an hour or 2 tops on any given day. Phantom and zone require supreme concentration and split second reflexes. Any delay in your mind from being tired or just faitgued from too much Wipeout, and it gets hard to move forward.

Or if you have IDReaper dropping mines and bombs all over the course that you can barely travel at all. At which point you should get back at him by pushing him off a cliff on Modesto:nod

lunar
27th July 2009, 08:36 PM
I`m always tired when I play. That`s one reason why I`m never really concentrating when I play. Even so I`m not really intermittent and unless I`m in amongst the really stellar pilots I usually finish second in races. At least in an average room that is. Sometimes I can finish second in at least 4 out of every 5 races but I never win! Other people come and go as winners or finish last while I keep on racking up "first loser" badges ;) So unless I`m in a French room I guess I`m very often pretty consistent actually. There still can be disaster sessions, but you just have to take a deep breath and push on when that happens. It happens to us all and we can all be the unluckiest pilot ever.

okam
27th July 2009, 09:24 PM
I'm usually decent at the first 4-5 events, then some sort of mental fatigue sets in and I am much less focused and I start missing turns or just making silly mistakes. Regardless of wether I am still enjoying myself or not, the "fun" aspect of it doesn't seem to matter. Knowing this, I only do shorter online sessions, to avoid ruining my mood ^^

YouAreFubar
27th July 2009, 10:46 PM
Sometimes ill be on the ball all the way through the course, landing every barrel roll and taking every corner with ease. Other days ill be pinballing from wall to wall or just seem to be going slower than everyone else.

Warming up will help sometimes, but not always. Some days I have a few races, decide its not happening today, and then put on Dead Space (which im playing through yet again, a fantastic game) or Metal Gear Online instead. Your not alone on this one.

Vartazian
27th July 2009, 10:55 PM
I tend to not have a Major Problem with Consistency, Im 1st or 2nd almost no mater what room im in, Sometimes I just blank out ang get 3rd or 4th though. we all have Downslides too.

SaturnReturn
27th July 2009, 11:45 PM
I'm like that too, almost no matter what room I'm in I come first. I come first in the kitchen. I come first in the lounge. But I always come second in the bedroom. Go figure!

P.S. :rock

IDReaper
28th July 2009, 12:30 AM
Oh that reminds me of something else. When playing if I put my elbow up on the arm rests I do horribly, cutting corner to soon and in general oversteering. But when I keep my arms at my sides I do great. Also when I play against players I've heard are good but never raced myself, I start to shake during the race and it messes me up.

Handmadelion
28th July 2009, 02:14 AM
Funny you say that ID,

I was racing on Chenghou Forward phantom with the new Piranha and when I put my leg down, it was tingling cause it had fallen asleep and next thing I knew I was banging all over the walls.

IH8YOU
28th July 2009, 03:17 AM
I've had a couple of instances on extended lap races where I'm so pre-programmed for X laps - I put down my controller at the *end* only to see people go flying past me.

Though it makes for a fine challenge to catch back up. :)

As for the different playing position - ask Vinnymonster for input on this subject. :lol

nexusc
28th July 2009, 04:05 AM
I was quite embarrassed (and relieved) to know the reason why I was underperforming so horribly after the 2.0 patch.

For some reason I had the accelerator sensitivity set to 100%. Don't know whose brilliant idea that was (probably mine when I was underslept :)).

Motorsagmannen
28th July 2009, 05:16 AM
^been there done that lol.

and for this topic i would guess that since we are all humans here, (except problemsolver of course) its only natural to have ups and downs. and i am definitely no exeption, although my phail periods seem to be longer than my win periods ;)

RobCoxy
29th July 2009, 02:39 AM
Yes, I definitely have good days and bad days! I don't know whether it's just bad luck sometimes or it is something else but when i'm having a bad day it's very hard to get back into focus and win!

I would also recommend if you're doing sh*t online to just stop for a while and then do some zone or time trial or something.

NightArh
29th July 2009, 08:18 AM
It is a normal thing. You should play only that time when you are in the good spirits!

Avenger2197
29th July 2009, 02:23 PM
I have them(bad days) more often than not. But there isn't any experience like racing like-minded people, who all want first place, and it becomes about skill not luck.:)

stinkleroy
29th July 2009, 03:33 PM
Agreed. I found out a few days ago that I will most likely be made redundant in the coming months and my game has gone waaay downhill. I've switched to eliminator for now :lol

Axel
29th July 2009, 03:45 PM
I'm always having a bad day, so bad that i havn't been online since fury yet. There is no point getting ruined if you havn't practised the laps properly. That and I need to get used to the new Auricom Fury craft.

Aeroracer
1st September 2009, 10:53 PM
for me being consistant works like this...

week one inconsistant beginner
week two consistant beginner
week three inconsistant intermeadiate
week four consistant intermeadiate
week five inconsistant skilled
week six consistant skilled

thats as far as i got

but i bet the pattern is the same through ...highly skilled to elite...

every new skill level you get too, you become inconsistant until you master it ,then become consistant..then suddenly you advance as you try new things like cutting corners or new BR's locations.:hyper

SonicChaos
4th September 2009, 01:09 PM
It depends, Sometimes I do amazing and get great times, other days I can't seem to stay off the walls. It happens to everyone at some point, no worries.

XBARNSTERX
4th September 2009, 08:53 PM
Online is so unpredictable, nothings definite. You could be 3,4 seconds out in front and hit a damn back droppers bomb only to be over taken by another three four ships :turd
Weapon play is a big part of online and can get chaotic at times. So depending on who or when you play can make you go from first to last within seconds. You can feel like your not at your best, i do often.
When this happens i'll play something i know well like zone on anulpha or ubermall speed lap just to get your technique back a bit. This improves my online game, but as i've said nothings definite.
You win some you lose some, its all in good fun. Not to say i dont rage quit because i do now and again. :D

silverfoxy
4th September 2009, 09:42 PM
Not been able to smoke any herbal intake this evening as I have to go out in a minute (don't smoke and drive (real cars) kids, its not big or clever)

I have found though that my performance on the tracks has suffered. I thought I would be a lot better sober but it turns out I'm really not.

make lots of mistakes while leading and seem to feel the pressure more and also got wound up a lot quicker and suffered from the curse of rage quit. Can only apologise to my fellow racers and next time I play I'll make sure i'm suitably herbed up for the occasion and chill out somewhat