PDA

View Full Version : Do the older ships have a speed handicap?

Griffon
27th July 2009, 10:33 AM
Hello, I'm a little fresh to the site, so please forgive me if this question would have been better placed in the Random HD Questions (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5273) thread. But I figured this has the possibility of sparking a decent conversation so I figured I'd make a new thread.

Anyway, I was in a race the other day and couldn't help but notice that the HD AG-SYS vehicle seemed to have a large speed advantage over myself. The odd part about that is that I was using the new Fury AG-SYS vehicle, which has a 10 point advantage in speed and 5 point advantage in thrust. I know it would seem like simple piloting ability, except for the fact that it occurred coming around a wide corner and into a straightaway. I know it wasn't anything like a boost, because it was pretty consistent and I didn't hear the boost sound. I believe the Autopilot gives the vehicle a slight increase in speed, but when he was coming around the corner it sure didn't look like he was on AP. But there he was, in an older ship, passing me up like I was stuck on Flash and he was in Rapier. :?
I'd pass that off as just a one-time weird occurrence, but then I remembered that something similar happened a couple races before, when I got passed by an old Assegai ship as I was crossing the finish line in the Amphesium. He was quite behind me when we made the final jump, both Barrel Rolled, and he won. Despite having equal speed stats and myself having a 15 point advantage on thrust.
Someone else I know seems to have noticed it as well, I posted asking about the same thing in a WipEout thread at an Armored Core site I frequent, and somebody else was trying it out with his friend and if I may quote him:
I tested a few things with ****** as well. He used the old Feisar while I used regular and Fury Triakis. From my view, it looked like I actually was slower in the Fury craft.

Now I'm not whining or being a sore loser or anything, but I was just wondering if anybody else seems to have noticed this?

IDReaper
27th July 2009, 10:54 AM
You are sure that you set your sensetivity to 10% on the accelerator? When you install Fury controls reset. Also I feel like the Fury ships slide a good deal more than standard ships. That may be why old AG passed you on that turn, less airbraking is quicker. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think thrust only counts up to cruising speed? Either way in your friends case Feisars greater thrust could have created the illusion that he was getting away when in reality Triakis is still picking up speed.

Griffon
27th July 2009, 11:19 AM
You are sure that you set your sensetivity to 10% on the accelerator?
Yeah, my friend made mention of that so I checked and it was set at 30%, which still isn't that bad. I set it to 20% anyway.

Also I feel like the Fury ships slide a good deal more than standard ships. That may be why old AG passed you on that turn, less airbraking is quicker.
Maybe, but like I said even after the turn on the straightaway he was still leaving me farther and farther behind.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think thrust only counts up to cruising speed?
I thought it counted toward how powerful the boost was as well? I guess not, you'd probably know better than I would. :P

IDReaper
27th July 2009, 12:35 PM
20% is cool but I tend not to ever let up on the accelerator but hey whatever work for you. Maybe there was lag? That part is a bit difficult to explain. Also there were no other variables such as banking that could have made a difference? Dunno, I wasn't there lol. Can't really provide much insight on the particulars, I just go by feeling and pick what I think feels right. Either way there is definitely something different in the way the Fury ships move. Just a feeling. ;)

yeldar2097
27th July 2009, 12:55 PM
it may well just be me not being used to it but i swear oldgx is actually faster than furygx.... not to mention it doesn't look ANYWHERE near as cool...

lunar
27th July 2009, 12:58 PM
If the new ships are slower, despite having better stats, it could be down to handling alterations I suppose. Whatever, having bigger stats is great marketing so I don`t blame SL for that.

I agree about the "Fury feeling" with the new ships, and that they seem to move differently to the HD ships at times. I felt it too. As for whether they are faster or slower despite their stats - not a clue as I have not played enough to form any opinion on this at all. :)

tileon
27th July 2009, 01:28 PM
I'm not certain wether som ships have speed handicaps, but noobs sure do.

That's why one can win a race with a HD ship against 7 fury skins. :donut

yeldar2097
27th July 2009, 02:16 PM
the new handling really pisses me off. i reckon they're faster but just not at the moment because we're not used to them....

Rubix42
27th July 2009, 02:19 PM
I've been setting faster times using the Fury ships than I was able to post using the HD ships. I'm not challenging for top spot on the leaderboards, but I'm faster in the new ships.

You might be getting people going faster by not getting full thrust using the 20% sensitivity. If you for a moment, just have the thrust button pushed halfway down or less, your only getting 50% thrust at that time. Do that for even half a second and a slower ship would pass you no problem.

Hacker X
27th July 2009, 02:38 PM
Well as far as I'm concerned Qirex has gotten their zing back with the Fury ship. Qirex has always been known for their rather heavy slow acceleration, but fast top speed and heavy shields, but with HD Qirex shields were crap, and their speed was mediocre. With the Fury Qirex craft, the speed is back and the ship can taken massive damage like in Wipeout XL and WO3. In HD I constantly was having to absorb pickups, due to constant low shields from attacks and barrel rolls.

superpj1
29th July 2009, 10:12 PM
the new handling really pisses me off. i reckon they're faster but just not at the moment because we're not used to them....

Personnaly I've given up with the new Icaras, it turns like a boat :- Old Icaras is :+

Hellfire_WZ
29th July 2009, 10:18 PM
I've gone back to the old Goteki45. It's a shame because I love the new models, it's just the handling is so awkward. Doesn't matter as I can still more than hold my own against others using the Fury craft :)

Aeroracer
29th July 2009, 10:52 PM
I like the new feisar. i thinks its better cos i can get perfect laps on phantom noe.but that could just be down to luck and getting better at the game, all i can say is i havnt noticed anything bad with fury ships.

In retrospect i think they are balanced with the hd ships as there are more stats to the ship than the 4 they show. SL wouldnt just make fury ships blatently better as its unfair to hd only players online.they must all be reasonbly equal.

mic-dk
30th July 2009, 05:01 AM
Heh, I'm torn between my beloved, trusted and known HD-5Y5 and the Furryimau.

The Harimau is slightly faster in a straight line, but with the AG-SYS I know exactly how it turns, how much airbrake is needed to correct a line etc. Something I still haven't figured with the KTM colored tiger.

Aww, who am I kidding... I'm waging I'm back in AG-SYS within a fortnight :)

Vartazian
30th July 2009, 08:55 AM
Im torn between my AG SYS and the New Feisar. They are both incredible ships.

yeldar2097
30th July 2009, 11:41 AM
oldgx pwns all.....when kingheim is driving :P

LOUDandPROUD
30th July 2009, 07:53 PM
Vart, you can't use the new Feisar. It's mine. Understood? :p

LurifaxFlux
31st July 2009, 03:05 AM
Personnaly I've given up with the new Icaras, it turns like a boat :- Old Icaras is :+

I really haven't noticed any difference, maybe I should compare it :P
Anyway, I'm 2 single races away from elite campaign legend, and I got the whole Meltdown grid with new Icaras :P

Icaras <3

Edit: Got the trophy now :g, did the last two with Feisar (Fury).

P.S. I hate Chenghou Project.

Kyonshi
31st July 2009, 03:18 AM
Well, i dunno but, yesterday, i raced CoatlKetzal, which is a well known SOLID pilot, and we had both Feisar. Once i picked the HD Feisar and he had the Fury version. I can honestly say we were constantly on the back of each other, with only few inches of a gap between us most of the course, which was Talon's Junction.

So yeah, there may be better stats on the Fury ships, but when you take 2 experienced players against each other, it doesn't have dramatical incidence between the 2 ship versions and the overall aspect of the race. If there is one, its so subtle that you cant really feel having an advantage over the HD model.

Vartazian
31st July 2009, 03:25 AM
I won more in my HD AG SYS today against great pilots like Redscar, Greenix and Yeldar, more then I did my Fury Feisar or AG SYS.

RedScar
31st July 2009, 07:30 AM
how come im not in that list of players vart? I was racing with you to :P (I kid I kid)
Serious though, I don't "feel" the stat advantage that are supposed to be in the fury ships. I have noticed that a lot of the fury ships feel "lighter" or "bouncier", getting pushed outta the way and over the track edge easier. That said, it could have just been the constant bad luck I have when racing online against anyone like greenix/vart/yeldar/etc. I will stick with my AG-S for now, since I know how it reacts.

The new fiesar is the only ship i've seen a consistent increase in speed.

Vartazian
31st July 2009, 07:43 AM
I knew I forgot someone! My bad redscar!!!
I imagined that I was the guilty cheating boyfriend with the model girlfriend that did everything for me (named AG SYSTEMS).

Convo went a little something like this.

AG: OH Var! Where were you? I missed you!
Var: Oh No where...
AG: You were at that Miss Feisars Place werent you? HOW COULD YOU!
Var: IM SO SORRY, LET ME RACE WITH YOU AGAIN!!!
(I win 8 races in a row)

RedScar
31st July 2009, 07:59 AM
lol that was classic
pretty sure I came last in all 8 of those races, or close to it.

Motorsagmannen
31st July 2009, 07:49 PM
just want to say.
old piranha =win
new piranha =:turd

IH8YOU
31st July 2009, 09:01 PM
Ditto that for Qirex, Triakis and Auricom.

They're all vastly improved - especially the brick - really takes the fun out of victory if it's easier to steer.

Crap ships = Win. :nod

Rubix42
31st July 2009, 09:22 PM
The more I play, I don't know that there is a advantage/disadvantage to the Fury vs. HD ships. But they certainly feel different than the HD counterparts.

I don't think that can be said in any other way. They just feel different.

superpj1
1st August 2009, 05:49 AM
P.S. I hate Chenghou Project.

Chenghou Project in Phantom class is a nightmare I agree :p

LurifaxFlux
1st August 2009, 11:03 AM
I finished 0.01 seconds after first place (single race) a while before I actually got the gold medal, that pissed the :turd out of me xd
Damn :pc hit 2 speed pads and I just hit one, and he grinded into me and got and inch before me at the finish line :evil

Cerium
1st August 2009, 12:37 PM
just want to say.
old piranha =win
new piranha =:turd

And both are equally angry.

Even if the old one is better, I refuse to use it as the Fury fish looks that much nicer. I don't usually win anyway, so it doesn't really matter; but when I do win, I'm going to look damn good doing so. Booya!

PjotrStroganov
1st August 2009, 12:44 PM
The big left corner on chenghou was a great way to see the difference in handling between the old and new AG-Sys ship/ The old one tended to bounce alot but the new one takes that corner much smoother.

Motorsagmannen
1st August 2009, 05:12 PM
And both are equally angry.

Even if the old one is better, I refuse to use it as the Fury fish looks that much nicer. I don't usually win anyway, so it doesn't really matter; but when I do win, I'm going to damn good doing so. Booya!

i Do use both piranhas, but i really like the handling of the old one much better. only thing i like gamewise on the new one is the sexy improved thrust.

apperancewise im divided, i like the new one alot in chase cam though especially with the ZB skin, transparent wings and WO-Hd tracks goes hand in hand.
overall apperance i like the clean HD one better