PDA

View Full Version : HD Voice Chat

meanalf
24th July 2009, 03:32 PM
have to say its absolutely awful, imposible to make out anything - sounds like someone trying to gargle a glass of water - any ideas if anything is being done about this as fully funtioning chat would add so much more when youre playing with friends.

GreenPhazon
24th July 2009, 03:35 PM
Bluetooth headset tech just isn't up to scratch with the wired alternatives. You compromise quality of sound with wirelessness. Still, WOHD isn't the best place to be trying it out. I'd want one of the QWERTY keyboards for communication in WOHD.

meanalf
24th July 2009, 03:37 PM
Bluetooth headset tech just isn't up to scratch with the wired alternatives. You compromise quality of sound with wirelessness. Still, WOHD isn't the best place to be trying it out. I'd want one of the QWERTY keyboards for communication in WOHD.

bluetooth headset tech seems to work fine in just about every other online game.

Gormless
24th July 2009, 03:37 PM
I cant disagree thats for sure, last night i was playing with a mate and we gave up and went on COD4, it was impossible to make a single word out :(

EDIT:

Using an Offical Sony PS3 headset on both parties this was.

meanalf
24th July 2009, 03:40 PM
i agree, sometimes you get the odd headset dropouts but on wipeout the quality was so bad it is impossible to make anything out - how can it be soooo wrong ?

Rubix42
24th July 2009, 03:44 PM
I too have never been able to get voice chat to work properly in Wipeout. I have the official Sony PS3 headset they started selling last year.

Although it's kind of nice it doesn't work. Trash talk at Phantom speed would mess me up bad.

meanalf
24th July 2009, 03:45 PM
but when you get a missile launched up your back passage, wouldnt you want to thank your opponenent properly for doing so ?

Handmadelion
24th July 2009, 04:01 PM
Trash talk at Phantom speed would mess me up bad.

You bring up a good point. Kinda keeps things on that big scale of just the music, and the race at hand. And the smack-talking text messages aren't bad either. :D I'm sure some of us are pretty adept at popping off a real "snapper" shoot even before the game returns you to the lobby.

meanalf
24th July 2009, 04:04 PM
you could have a mute facility in the lobby where any offensive language or general trash talkers could be muted if required but at the moment you cant even have a lively bit of banter between friends its unusable

Gormless
24th July 2009, 04:06 PM
Trash talk wouldnt mess anyone up because if it did i am guessing they would use the mute option. As it is no one has anything to worry about because it doesnt work!

blackwiggle
24th July 2009, 04:17 PM
So I gather this has not been fixed with the update.

Bummer.

But it might be a blessing in disguise if you knew how nasty conversations can get within "Other Games".

Chat room works fine within the forum members here,some seriously funny stuff has be typed out in various Avalon meets :beer

meanalf
24th July 2009, 04:21 PM
fair play to you using chat rooms and text chat and all that, but the fact is voice chat has been included in the game so it needs fixing, if they didnt want chat in the first place why make an half-arsed attempt at voice chat? either fix it or remove it completely.

Rubix42
24th July 2009, 04:23 PM
While I guess I would like it fixed, man, I really hope they dedicate the talents and people available to a large retail WO release for PS3. I could live without another patch, DLC, or anything else if they would do this.

Jambo
24th July 2009, 04:30 PM
Voice chat makes private games so much better.

Its a pity it still doesn't work properly :(

meanalf
24th July 2009, 05:03 PM

amen to that :clap

superpj1
24th July 2009, 05:18 PM

I agree :clap

Vartazian
24th July 2009, 06:20 PM
Id make a habit of Running into Rapier rooms and Badmouthing them.

then SL might ban me :O

crawdad62
24th July 2009, 06:25 PM
It is a pity. And it's not the BT technology either (although it can have its limitations). My kid plays Burnout Paradise all the time and he uses voice in games without any problem. However honestly I'm too busy during a race to use it and half the time I'm in rooms where I may be the only English speaker there so as long as there's not much else to complain about I'll live without it.

meanalf
24th July 2009, 08:00 PM
so do we have to wait for 2.02 to fix the voice chat ?

crawdad62
24th July 2009, 10:54 PM
It hasn't worked since Wipeout HD was released almost a year ago. I'm not even sure it's something they've addressed at all.

PainAndTears
25th July 2009, 05:01 AM
It hasn't worked since Wipeout HD was released almost a year ago. I'm not even sure it's something they've addressed at all.

I remember when it worked for the most part when Wipeout HD came out. I do agree it would be distracting to try to talk/trash talk while racing, especially during a phantom race, but I would enjoy talking/trash talking amongst friends via headsets. If they ever decide to fix the talking issue, I hope they change the way you have to talk during a game. For this there are several options:

A) No buttons held required, talking is always on.
B) Have a button to toggle talking. ( Press L3, or a different button of your choice via control options to enable/disable talking) Punisher No Mercy does this very well with Down and Right on the D-Pad. Down toggles Mic, and Right toggles Headset. Back to Wipeout HD. If I recall correctly, R3 isn't used for anything, so maybe you have L3 toggle Mic, and R3 toggle Headset. These settings could be changed to your own preferences. They work for me since I race with D-Pad, hehe. Or just keep things simple and have only L3 toggle chat, and if you are getting annoying by someone, just mute them or take off your headset.
C) Keep it where you have to hold down a button. This is the least desired option in my opinion, because it can be distracting and mess up the whole race. I guess it could be a blessing for some and a curse. (Imagine a guy trying to trash talk you and then they crash because they're holding down L3 LOL) And if anyone is concerned about annoying/offensive people, put in a Mute option, maybe even an abuse report button, but that may be taking it to far. But yeah, with SL at hard work at the moment, the recent release of 2 patches, and Fury, I am very satisfied and respect them very much. I'm just saying if they fixed the chat system, (via option A or B), which was included from start, this game would be perfect. :rock

superpj1
25th July 2009, 08:44 AM

no it used to work when wipeout came out.

Jambo
25th July 2009, 09:07 AM
I would be delighted with lobby chat only even, in gameplay chat is not that important to be honest.

Handmadelion
25th July 2009, 10:55 AM
Lobby chat would be SUPER... People trying to organize Bling brigade would be soo much easier. Just say "we're doing bling brigade." or something. Instead of trying to text message them and try to race back to the screen to delay the race! And eventually let everyone know! Or even worse try to organize it with two people! One person keeps delaying the race while the other has to text the other SIX, and THEN text the host just to say start! See how unnecessary that is!

meanalf
25th July 2009, 11:42 AM
any kind of chat would be super ! is anyone aware whether Sony Liverpool are looking into this, or are they just happy to take our money for the dlc and not fix something they consider non-essential?

Jambo
25th July 2009, 01:33 PM
I am not complaining about paying money for the awesome DLC but would love good voice chat support.

Wip3ou7
25th July 2009, 02:54 PM
I will say with 100% certainty that the voice chat in WipEout HD is fubar. Hopefully someone from SL will read this thread one day and let us know that they know that we know that they need to FIX THAT **** ASAP :)

meanalf
26th July 2009, 12:44 PM
I will say with 100% certainty that the voice chat in WipEout HD is fubar. Hopefully someone from SL will read this thread one day and let us know that they know that we know that they need to FIX THAT **** ASAP :)

but by the definition of fubar (if true) they wouldn't be able to fix it.

GreenPhazon
26th July 2009, 03:53 PM
There's a good chance I'm going to win a BT headset on eBay in a couple of hours. I'll be able to see just how bad the chat in WOHD is.

PjotrStroganov
26th July 2009, 04:56 PM
It will never be up to par during this generation.

No standardisation means that you can't expect people to even have a headset let alone have one that is actually good. It's a difference of night and day after comparing it with the Xbox 360. Because it comes standard with a headset, the majority of people use it. It also helps that the voice quality is pretty consistent.

Motorsagmannen
26th July 2009, 05:10 PM
wired headset is not the solution. i have a wired one (from socom on ps2) it works perfect for everything except WO-HD dunno why, but it sucks because WO is by far the game i play the most on the ps3.

meanalf
26th July 2009, 05:11 PM
It will never be up to par during this generation.

No standardisation means that you can't expect people to even have a headset let alone have one that is actually good. It's a difference of night and day after comparing it with the Xbox 360. Because it comes standard with a headset, the majority of people use it. It also helps that the voice quality is pretty consistent.

what a load of rubbish, there are plenty of games on the ps3 where voice chat works perfectly fine - burnout, cod and motorstorm2 spring straight to mind so to say it won't work this generation because there is no standardisation in the ps3 feature set is pure rot.

GreenPhazon
26th July 2009, 05:30 PM
wired headset is not the solution. i have a wired one (from socom on ps2) it works perfect for everything except WO-HD dunno why, but it sucks because WO is by far the game i play the most on the ps3.
It would seem the problem is WOHD, not headsets.

superpj1
27th July 2009, 04:39 AM
I have 2 microphones : the official headset (wireless) and the playstation eye (wired) and both have problems with Wipeout while they work perfectly with other games.

meanalf
27th July 2009, 05:16 PM
I have 2 microphones : the official headset (wireless) and the playstation eye (wired) and both have problems with Wipeout while they work perfectly with other games.

it's definately not the headsets as I have the same as you plus the jabra one that came with warhawk and they work fine with everything else.

crawdad62
27th July 2009, 05:27 PM
no it used to work when wipeout came out.

I've never has any luck with it. Either through USB or BT. I've got a fairly fast connection too. I mean yes it worked. But not to the level that made it much use. I haven't even tried for a long time so I can't say it's worse now than it was but IMHO compared to other online multiplayer games it's been pretty bad form the start.

bik3rluke
27th July 2009, 05:32 PM
I bought the official PS3 headset solely for WipEout HD, and needless to say I was very disappointed. I've met some very talented people on HD and it'd be great to chat to them whilst waiting in the lobby. I couldn't cope with speaking whilst racing, but sitting in the lobby sometimes gets very boring.

meanalf
30th July 2009, 07:19 AM
its a fantastic headset, shame its of little use on this game.

blackwiggle
30th July 2009, 07:24 AM
Voice chat USED to work when HD first was released.

But it changed dramatically ,it went out the window the same time as when the little nationality flag next to your name while racing online went south.

Which was roughly 3 weeks after release.

DividedXZero
30th July 2009, 01:56 PM
you think anything can be done to fix it?

PjotrStroganov
31st July 2009, 01:48 PM
what a load of rubbish, there are plenty of games on the ps3 where voice chat works perfectly fine - burnout, cod and motorstorm2 spring straight to mind so to say it won't work this generation because there is no standardisation in the ps3 feature set is pure rot.

So naming a few games makes voicechat across the board alright? Okay.

crawdad62
31st July 2009, 02:36 PM
No I think the point is it does work in some games and quite well. And that's the rub. There's no standard route developer take to include it. It's inconsistent. But the fact that it works in other games means that those "have it figured out" so to speak. Something SL does seem to have a handle on.

PjotrStroganov
31st July 2009, 03:17 PM
That's the point I was trying to make in my first post.:nod

Wonko
31st July 2009, 04:16 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forums and a recent fan of WipEout (started with Pulse). I just wanted to share my thoughts.

I'm kind of an "antisocial gamer", to the point that I seldom play games online because I get afraid of talking with english-speaking people, (I'm from México) I don't know if I'm afraid of people making fun of my accent or afraid of not understanding what they say, maybe I'm just unhealthily shy.

This takes me to the one thing I love about Ridge Racer 7's online mode: The chat/lobby system where you can just quickly send pre-made messages that no matter where you're from, everyone can understand. I hope the people at SL implement a system like this in the future, that would be a godsend to me.

Cheers!

Darkdrium777
31st July 2009, 05:56 PM
Voice chat NEVER worked when HD first was released.Fix'd.

I was able to play RFoM perfectly well with voice chat after I got Warhawk blu-Ray. RFoM is a fricking launch title.
WOHD is broken. That's one of the things I want them to fix that's been around for too long.

djKyoto
1st August 2009, 01:58 AM
I can't get voice chat to work with my friend over HD so far (and vice versa), tho I've heard other peoples ones work fine, but not many. Maybe only like a specific model works.

superpj1
1st August 2009, 02:44 AM
the one thing I love about Ridge Racer 7's online mode : The chat/lobby system where you can just quickly send pre-made messages that no matter where you're from, everyone can understand. I hope the people at SL implement a system like this in the future, that would be a godsend to me.

I agree :+

GreenPhazon
5th August 2009, 12:46 PM
I now have a headset, so I might try the chat in WOHD in the near future. MSPR seems to have embraced voice chat, but I can't seem to start an online race on it :?

What games have good chat capabilities?

BearAlmighty182
10th April 2010, 12:02 AM
This is a very interesting topic for me. I have not yet attempted to use my headset for WOHD tbh i never really thought about it till i read this thread. If anyone wants to test it out one day with me let me know as i can definately see the benfits of speaking to my fellow pilots. Theres nothing worse than a race counter starting while writing mid message lol i can see it helping with such trophys as bling brigade etc.

blackwiggle
10th April 2010, 12:11 AM
Voice chat seldom did, now never does work.
Most people have given up on it,you can tell by looking for the icon that donates if somebody is wearing one next to their name when your in the room awaiting the host to start the race.[I haven't seen that icon in many many months].
Ace-Flo tries occassionaly, but he just comes through as a garbled mess.
I strongly suggest the host of the Bling Brigade GG start a chat room instead.
A far better option and a lot quicker than using normal messaging.

AG-wolf
10th April 2010, 03:43 AM
Kinda disappointing to find out it's probably worthless... I've been having a blast playing Blur with a buddy of mine using our headsets.. we team up on people, help each other out, it's a really fun experience; I was kinda hoping the same from HD :/

blackwiggle
10th April 2010, 04:42 AM
Another problem is / was , that when it did work , unless you were racing Venom, it was pretty unmanageable to use when racing , what with having to hold down a button to talk.

If you did happen to manage to get it to work, and not crash, then you would have a good chance of getting a small glitch/lag every time you used it.
Similar to when you switch to reverse view while racing online.

So due to those problems everybody stopped even trying to use it.

One thing I do miss from the first 3 weeks of HD's release that disappeared without a reason from SL , or most people noticing for that matter [you needed a HD TV for it to show up], was the little nationality flags that used to appear next to the racers name as you neared them when racing online.
A neat feature that basically disappeared without comment by the vast majority.:(

AG-wolf
10th April 2010, 11:23 AM
You had to press a button to talk? How ridiculous is that?! Isn't there just some kind of universal protocol for voice chat that they can use across every game? I mean... a headset should be a transparent thing, it broadcasts when you talk, and you shouldn't have to fumble with anything.

I'm sorry I asked I guess -_- I don't understand how they could screw something like that up.

I never saw the flags while racing, but don't they still show up in the lobby at least?

Connavar
10th April 2010, 12:51 PM
I guess the best solution is to have a notebook next to you and use Skype.
Cross-games, cross-consoles, ... I used it to play Uncharted 2 with friends.

jan709
13th April 2010, 08:36 AM
Tody i experienced everything WO voicechat has to offer, crashing everytime i tried to utter a word and when i got a full sentence out the response was a messege saying "what?".

its really dissapointning :(

Dark-Twisted
14th April 2010, 12:54 PM
Why is it that in any other game I can use voice chat normally but in WOHD my voice just jumps and stutters and sounds like garbage? Something is up there...

someguy789
28th April 2010, 07:27 PM
just how bad is the voice chat exactly?
I've been trying to use my mic to organize bling brigade hopeing people can understand me but it hasn't been working is the chat so bad you can't understand anything at all?

SaturnReturn
28th April 2010, 07:52 PM
Based on my experience - yes.
Based on the rest of the posts in this thread - yes.
Don't use voice chat for Bling Bridage. Go to the thread and read the suggestions about how to do it, i.e. use chat box. Blackwiggle's comments in that thread are all very helpful so my advice would be to follow his advice, and forget voice chat in WOHD.:nod

ProblemSolver
29th April 2010, 05:29 AM
... I've been trying to use my mic to organize ...
Good luck! :) (xD)