PDA

View Full Version : Porto Kora Challenge - Comments

Hyper Shadow
14th February 2002, 09:09 PM
Share your thoughts on the challenge here.

vincoof
15th February 2002, 07:02 PM
what are the rules please ?
pal/ntsc ?
wo3/wo3se ?
stereo/mono ? :wink:

AmishRobot
16th February 2002, 12:10 AM
The goal is simply to get in under a minute for NTSC players. That might well be near impossible on PAL, so a good goal is probably best determined by some of you PAL players out there.

WO3 or WOSE? Hmmm, I dunno... Shad, do you think that's an issue?

Audio in full stereo, please. Setting the music to loop Xpander in order to reach the necessary Zen state optional. (though you may mention it for handicapping purposes!) :wink:

Hyper Shadow
17th February 2002, 05:26 PM
I'm assuming that the SE doesn't really have any major changes to the game over Wip3out other than extra tracks. You see I don't own the game myself (SE that is, I have W3).

So I don't think it matters if it is SE or W3. (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

Lance
18th February 2002, 12:29 PM
it probably does matter; the ships in SE seem to be a good deal slower than in the original WO3 NTSC or PAL versions.

Hyper Shadow
18th February 2002, 12:33 PM
Well seeing as I only have WO3 and I set this cahlenge here, I so decree that the challenge shall be set upon WO3

science
19th February 2002, 02:12 AM
good lord! i thought id go have a run at this challenge for 5 or so minutes and see what kind of time i could come up with. i ended up playing for more than half an hour, and i absolutely could not break 1:01xx!
welp, come to find out... its a timetrial challenge, not a single race challenge.
crap.
ill be back in a few minutes with a time.

Wiseman
19th February 2002, 05:00 AM
Where the heck is status a.k.a. Steven Dixon?

He got 0:59:50 when we first started talking about this.

I'll have to drag him in here. :wink:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=63&forum=6&17

Task
6th March 2002, 11:01 PM
You know, I didn't think a 1 minute race time could be broken. Not for any track, at any speed, on any setting.
Well look at that, I was wrong.
So after getting over my initial surprise, I started analyzing my technique, trying to figure out where I could take off a couple seconds... It's all in the landing.
My landing from the jump on the slope was terrible, I lost all my speed there. It took me a couple days of practice and though, but I've finally figured out how to land that jump so I'll maintain as much speed as I can. It's damn difficult!
Still, I've managed to take more than a full second off my race time, and I've also improved my lap time. Still, I'm over half a second away from breaking this challenge.
I imagine the next second to remove will be all in perfecting my landing (now that I've got at least a vague idea of how to manage it) and in even better usage of the hyperthrust.
So far, I'm using most of my boost going up to the jump, and in the air while leaving the jump, and that's given me the best results so far.
Have others experienced the same thing, or am I missing something important?

Task
7th March 2002, 03:12 AM
I couldn't stay away from the challenge, I went right back to it after deciding I had had enough for the night.
So close! 1:00.10! Dammit!

I also had a thought: MegaMall is very similar in that there's a jump that lands on a slope, so shouldn't I be able to use the skills I've learned here on that track too?
And wow, look at that! 5 seconds taken off my time! My best lap time is just disgustingly low now.

And the worst part is this: even though this is a faster time than I ever thought I could make... I know I can go faster.

Gawd, I love this game...

Wiseman
7th March 2002, 04:41 AM
LOL, I talked about the jump back at the old forums, I only make 1 slight bounce (I don't bottom out though) after that jump. I mean, if I so much as hear a slight "bump" upon landing, I know there's no hope of me getting a race record.

Lance
7th March 2002, 06:06 AM
5 SECONDS! agggghhhhhhhh! i was just barely behind you at MM. now i'm going to have to work at THREE tracks when i start racing again! woe is me!

Status
17th March 2002, 02:24 PM
Ah, quite a bit late to the fun, aren't I? :smile:

AFAIK, the most important part of the lap is the jump. Boost in to it angling right, and you want to land smoothly pointing straight at the boost pad.

Another thing that shaves about a second, I boost off the line (in addition to turbo-starting), then boost up the hill.

Task
22nd April 2002, 04:04 AM
I did it. It took me a long time, but it was worth it for the feeling of absolute satisfaction...
I've come a long way, I wonder if I can go the additional 14ms? 8 D
Definitely, it's all in boosting off the jump while nosing down. Tricky.

JABBERJAW
22nd May 2002, 02:20 PM
vector? I think I might give this a shot.