PDA

View Full Version : New Wipeout Track Idea - NÜRBURGRING NORDSCHLEIFE

GTP_Rorschach
16th July 2009, 10:17 PM
Ok - this might sound a bit crazy, but then again, it might not.

What about having a copy of the Nurburgring Nordschleife track in Wipeout? Not saying its a good idea neccessarily, however, the ring is the ultimate road course is it not? I think it would be novel (and complimentary) to have it in the ultimate AG racing environment....

just a thought....

R

KIGO1987
16th July 2009, 10:37 PM
This was brought up last year in a thread, not sure where. But i liked the idea.

GTP_Rorschach
16th July 2009, 10:56 PM
This was brought up last year in a thread, not sure where. But i liked the idea.

*groan* oh well, - sorry for the repetition

slimjim
16th July 2009, 10:58 PM
that would be awesome but lots of corners

KIGO1987
16th July 2009, 11:40 PM
*groan* oh well, - sorry for the repetition

No, its still a great idea. Prob take the SL crew til 2020 do get all the rendering of NÜRBURGRING NORDSCHLEIFE in 1080p. But that track rocks in Gran Turismo, excellent flow in that track, tests the skills of any driver to the max. Prob walking distance to Problemsolvers house i reckon. A track like this would be awesome, im one for it.

Lance
16th July 2009, 11:47 PM
The Nordschleife is ALways something I want to see in a racing game. One of the few disappointments I found in the original F355 Challenge was that it included only the current version of the F1 Ring.

Mu5
17th July 2009, 12:16 AM
PGR 4 has it - and its brilliant :D

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/pgr4-n-rburgring-is-so-real/116827 (http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/pgr4-n-rburgring-is-so-real/116827)

Lance
17th July 2009, 12:41 AM
If it weren't for the "kudos" system, I might like PGR, but that ruins it for me.

Motorsagmannen
17th July 2009, 12:45 AM
ive been on the nordshleife and holy **** yeah that would make an awesome WO track. it is one of the most complex racetracks in the world. racing that on phantom must be totally mindlowing. :g
other games with this is gran turismo 4 for the ps2 and forza2 on th 360 both are really good games IMO and this track is my favourite on both, its extremely unforgiving and a hard track on all aspects.

Lance
17th July 2009, 12:52 AM
Must. Acquire . Forza. 2.

Mu5
17th July 2009, 02:43 AM
I was the same at the start regarding the Kudos system - didnt like it. After playing it for a while, I started to love it.

Once I started playing Time Attack - its a whole different game :) No kudos in there, just racing skill. With multiple downloaded ghosts, its incredible :D

After playing for a couple of months I did think every racing game ever released after PGR4 would be rubbish, as it didn't have the Kudos system. :D

In PGR4, the fun factor, sense of speed, weather, ghosts & replays are second to none :)

djKyoto
17th July 2009, 03:25 AM
Nothing has better race replays than the GT Series tbh.

Mu5
17th July 2009, 08:00 AM
Obviously youve never played PGR 4 :D

Replays with multiple ghosts (both local to your machine, and downloaded from the internet) - I cant remember GT doing that ;)

Also, I cant remember being able to upload and vote on replays in GT ;)

KIGO1987
17th July 2009, 08:20 AM
ive been on Forza's and Gran Turismo 4's versions of the NÜRBURGRING NORDSCHLEIFE. Graphically maybe the box's ones are better. But the Gran Turismo 4's one has far far far way more attention to detail, you noticed the pitch and the camber as well as the mirco bumps in the track layout and corners on the GT4 version compared to Forza's. Full credit to Polyphony Digital for there efforts, and there attention to detail is amazing, still waiting on a Bathurst recreation in Gran Turismo that track has that many Laguna Seca Corksrew turns it becomes a rollercoaster rider.

Back to the NÜRBURGRING NORDSCHLEIFE, who here has actually taken a car on this track in real life? Problemsolver, im sure you have;) Might explan your zone 125 skills.

eLhabib
17th July 2009, 09:11 AM
Must. Acquire . Forza. 2.

Yes. You. Must.

Bestestest car racing game I have ever layed hands on.

Mu5
17th July 2009, 10:26 AM
@GTP_Rorschach : I think thats a great idea - well, having a track where a single lap would take over 5 minutes to complete would rock :D :+

The track would be huge though right enough. Still, it would rock :D

I hope SL find a way to do something like this. PS4 maybe? :)

Lance
17th July 2009, 04:52 PM
PS4? Oh heLL, no! Every time they introduce a new console the number of problems associated with multiply by at leas 5.

RJ O'Connell
17th July 2009, 10:30 PM
If the Green Hell is going to be in a Wipeout game then it better be a "Super" Nordschliefe that takes 6-7 minutes to complete a lap in Phantom class. Otherwise it wouldn't have nearly as much appeal.

KIGO1987
18th July 2009, 03:17 AM
Yeah the extended full length version not the short one.

xtrem_racer
21st July 2009, 01:59 AM
nurburing aahh that evil grass i hate it so much :mad:, have played that track on pgr3 and 4 and forza 2 and is the hardest on all, still a cool track, but not as epic as Le Mans (which is coming for forza 3 :D)

swift killer
5th August 2009, 09:41 PM
I dont there should be a Nordschleife in WO... maybe a futuristic equivalent, I'd love to see the old 1930's version of the track with the full Gesamtstrecke of old.

If its a futuristic equivalent it has to have the absolute bastard sections such as Flugplatz, Aremberg, Bergwerk though to Carrachiola-Karroussel (yes i know the track my heart!)

RE: Tags: Lauda impression? :/

Mu5
6th August 2009, 02:56 AM
Im interested in this 'old 1930's version :)

In PGR 4 you get..

Half F1 Circuit
Full F1 Circuit
Nordschleife
Nordschleife Long
The Behemoth

Would the Gesamtstrecke version be related to the behemoth? :)

Anyway back on topic - Im looking for a cool track design, so I am considering modelling the shape of the 'Half F1 Circuit' then going crazy with banked turns etc to make a cool wipeout track :+

Lance
6th August 2009, 06:43 AM
"Carrachiola", nein; Caracciola, ja.

swift killer
6th August 2009, 10:47 AM
Would the Gesamtstrecke version be related to the behemoth? :)

Anyway back on topic - Im looking for a cool track design, so I am considering modelling the shape of the 'Half F1 Circuit' then going crazy with banked turns etc to make a cool wipeout track :+

The Gesamtstrecke was an extended southern loop or Sudschleife, which was used for motorcycle racing but was destroyed ages ago, some sections of the track still exist around the sight of the new GP track (which, by the way sucks)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Südschleife

...they need to bring this & the AVUS ring back

Lance
6th August 2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah, the modern F1 circuit there does indeed suck. I say this from my "vast" experience in driving over it in a videogame. But I do think it actually is inferior, or at least very dull.

RJ O'Connell
8th August 2009, 07:01 AM
Nordschliefe > Old Hockenheimring > Nurburgring GP > Tilkenheimring.

But we're straying somewhat off course. ;)

Lance
8th August 2009, 12:35 PM
Of course we are. :)

swift killer
10th August 2009, 10:29 PM
there needs to be a campeign to restore the old Sudschleife...

Mu5
11th August 2009, 12:48 AM
Please tell me why? Whats so good about it? :)

Surely if it was that good, they wouldnt have scrapped it in favour of the North track?

swift killer
18th August 2009, 11:06 AM
it had some legendary sweeping curves, it was also more tricky and challenging than the Norschleife, had some legendary races in European Grand Prix Championship (1930's), early forms of MotoGP and F2. The Scharfer-korp turn is legendary.

The only reason it was scrapped was because of the usual Ecclestone-antics of F1, when the Sudschleife was destroyed and abandoned it was called an act of vandalism by the cast majority of motorsport folks.

Nordschleifer.2200
21st August 2009, 05:19 PM
it had some legendary sweeping curves, it was also more tricky and challenging than the Norschleife, had some legendary races in European Grand Prix Championship (1930's), early forms of MotoGP and F2. The Scharfer-korp turn is legendary.

You forgot that you can't race on the Gesamtstrecke without having the Sudschleife. And that it requires pilots to be even tougher to drive on than Nordschleife.

The only reason it was scrapped was because of the usual Ecclestone-antics of F1, when the Sudschleife was destroyed and abandoned it was called an act of vandalism by the cast majority of motorsport folks.

:nod I propose to esiliate him further than our Solar System's boundaries.

Anyway, as you can assume from my nickname, i'd be glad to see a 220X, AG version of the Green Hell.

swift killer
21st August 2009, 11:01 PM
I know, I meant to say the Gesamtstrecke was the Sudschleife and Norschleife combined... you certainly needed alot more balls to tackle the Sudschleife back then, the Betonschleife was pointless

Koleax
9th October 2009, 03:22 AM
But it's so flat. And long. I mean it's a great track, if you have wheels.

AG racing over grass would be cool, though. They did it over snow and sand in Fusion. SL seems to have something against vegetation.

KIGO1987
12th October 2009, 12:17 PM
Im absolutely obsessed about this track atm, i drove on it in GT4, was pretty ordinary on it then, got quite good on it after doing the 24hour Endurance Race on it:eek That was an effort in itself, and now with it being on the best console ever the "Playstation Portable", im hooked on it once again in Gran Turismo PSP, i tell you when i have enough funds on me, and this friggin EU passport sorted out, im going to go to Germany and go the for the best fang session in my life, and to have a round on this track, take the diesel golf hire car on this track if i have to.

Nick Burcombe
13th October 2009, 08:57 AM
The Nordschleife as a wipeout circuit - that's a great idea. I wouldn't copy it verbatim purely because of the width vs speed issues. Its hard enough at 150mph, never mind 700mph. But if took the same course layout and scaled it up so it was massive and then have it stretch across a fantastic landscape with amazing vistas and get it to carve through two seperate cities at it's extremities - sections on suspension bridges connecting islands across some strait of water, that would be awesome. Imagine how long it would take to figure out the optimal route - speed ups, turbos, barrell rolls. No end of opportunity. If you scaled it so that it still took 7-8 minutes a lap even at 700mph, that would be an amzing challenge. I wouldn't even have any AI races on it. It would just be a special online super time trial mode where you can choose to compare your times against PSN friends leagues, facebook leagues, location leagues (might have to stick in your post code to fnd out if you're the best in your city), national leagues and of course World Wide Leagues (where I'm sure most of you lot would be at the top of). What a unique challenge. Imagine if it was DLC, what do you think it would be worth?

Asayyeah
13th October 2009, 10:23 AM
Worth more than a penny for sure ! There's a long time few us dreaming about a REAL long track in Wipeout: for what i reminds the longest ever was in the 1st Wipeout exceeding 1 minute but not much more. So a 7 or 8 min lap: WOW

Always great idea from you Nick :+

KIGO1987
13th October 2009, 11:01 AM
Is Nick an SL worker?

Mandrashee Part3 on Fusion was a nice long track, wouldnt mind that one getting rebuilt again,

Nurburgring is a crazy track in any environment i reckon. Would be interesting seeing it in the Wipeout World.

abukii
13th October 2009, 11:16 AM
"[...]with amazing vistas[...]"

No, no, no. No 'vistas' plz.Thank you.
:P:P:P:P

Anyway, dlc+WipEout = instant sales from me. As for your concept, I believe its a bit out of the box, but absolutely brilliant. Perhaps a limited edition, hell, even a stand-alone game. D/L the track and a single car as they [the cars] become available. The comparative times would be amazing. 7-8 minute laps would DEFINITELY ensure the track wouldnt be memorized too quickly and would offer tons of replay value. I say go for it:+

lunar
13th October 2009, 01:10 PM
Yes it sounds great to have a long track like that and you could not put a price on what people would pay for it round here. But it would be wasted in the current game and ruined if in the course of that 7-8 minute lap you aimed to do a barrel roll around every 3 or 4 seconds, which is the average time between barrel rolls, ideally, on some HD tracks. Even a BR every 6 or 7 seconds, which is quite tame by HD standards, would be way too much. So I say it`s a great idea, but would anyone stand for such BR overload on the real Nordschleif? No, they would say that is just silly and it is not real racing, and for that they would not stand! :pirate

I think such a track might have to be raced weapons off, or at least with a very low-impact set of weapons. Nothing like a face bomb in the first thiry seconds of that one to really lift your spirits. Isn`t Korodera still the longest track ever, although Sinucit is quite an endurance effort also (especially at Vector class).

KIGO1987
13th October 2009, 01:16 PM
Next Wipeout won't have BRs.

Mu5
13th October 2009, 01:58 PM
@lunar: That sounds like BR overload to me mate :) Maybe have a sprinkling of (tricky) BR's every 2-minutes or so, just to keep it exciting :+

@Nick: Some great ideas. I think replay value would be high if the course was massive and had many different paths to explore. In addition to this I would maybe like to see areas being cut off if your not fast enough. Your speed and flying skill will determine what route(s) you will take, and will allow everyone to enjoy the progression of getting better and discovering new areas.

Great idea also about having a 'global challenge' for this massive track. Having local, national and international ghosts to download and challenge would be incredible. Perhaps being able to race 2 or 3 ghosts at the same time?... That would rock :D :+

KIGO1987
13th October 2009, 02:10 PM
I wonder if there is a maximum load limit on the ships that would prevent them from BRing in the game:?:D

Lance
13th October 2009, 06:49 PM
It would just be a special online super time trial mode where you can choose to compare your times against PSN friends leagues, facebook leagues, location leagues (might have to stick in your post code to fnd out if you're the best in your city), national leagues and of course World Wide Leagues

Please Nick, not just online; online sucks. Solo and versus at home, please. PLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSE?

Koleax
14th October 2009, 12:28 AM
The Nordschleife as a wipeout circuit - that's a great idea. I wouldn't copy it verbatim purely because of the width vs speed issues. Its hard enough at 150mph, never mind 700mph. But if took the same course layout and scaled it up so it was massive and then have it stretch across a fantastic landscape with amazing vistas and get it to carve through two seperate cities at it's extremities - sections on suspension bridges connecting islands across some strait of water, that would be awesome.
Alright, that would be absolutely brilliant. It would be fun to think of interesting candidates for the islands. Ideally they should have plenty of nature, especially since current HD tracks are very metropolitan.

I wouldn't even have any AI races on it. It would just be a special online super time trial mode where you can choose to compare your times against PSN friends leagues, facebook leagues, location leagues (might have to stick in your post code to fnd out if you're the best in your city), national leagues and of course World Wide Leagues (where I'm sure most of you lot would be at the top of). What a unique challenge. Imagine if it was DLC, what do you think it would be worth?

No zone mode? TT would be fun but zone would be the kicker for me. I'd pay a lot, but I'm a fan, and think you guys are underpricing the current game and DLC already.

Given your already low pricing standard, I'd say between five and ten dollars (with zone).

Nick Burcombe
14th October 2009, 01:32 PM
Yep - Zone mode would stay - it wouldnt be about racing AI or even m'player (maybe ghosts would be good though) - it's all about circuit mastery and times, not position

Nick Burcombe
14th October 2009, 01:40 PM
Please Nick, not just online; online sucks. Solo and versus at home, please. PLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSE?

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just speculating. I guess it could be Versus - just not AI. Balancing the AI for a track liek that would be a nightmare. espceially once player start exploring the shortcut and jumps they can do.

Nick Burcombe
14th October 2009, 01:47 PM
Isn`t Korodera still the longest track ever, although Sinucit is quite an endurance effort also (especially at Vector class).

One of my favourite tracks for sure. For that very reason. It takes time to learn, but significant pay back if you put the time in - the Nurburgring is the same but times ten.

By the way - thinking about the Ring and wheel based racing for a sec - don't know if any of you are GT fans - the PSP version is much better than 7.5/10 as the critics have got it. The challenge mode is a doozy. Just trying to get as many silvers as possible at the moment - some of tthe golds are out of my reach for sure. Anyway I digress. ;)

Scrap that - just trying to get the final 12 silvers to be golds.....god it's hard! Really tough challenge.

mic-dk
14th October 2009, 05:39 PM
Well, I would pay good money for a lap around the Makanaring (Die Blaue Hölle)

:)

7-8 minutes... You'd be as knackered as after lap around the real thing. Brilliant!

ProblemSolver
14th October 2009, 07:01 PM
A WipEout HDfied version of the Ring would be just awesome. Emedding the
Ring in a futurized environment can't get any better. Release it as a DLC for
about 10 EUR. The Ring will also attract lots of GT fans, making WipEout's
userbase grow!

@Nick: Ask PD, they've got the track ready for GT5.

abukii
17th October 2009, 06:12 PM
I seriously love the guys and gals at SL. There is nothing better than a genuine discussion of possible future developments with one of the 'boys'. Even if it doesnt see the light of day, its a privelage just to chat. Thanks SL!!:+:+