PDA

View Full Version : WipEout Fury Official Release Date!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Kyonshi
16th July 2009, 01:00 PM
Get ready to race at blazing speeds and experience adrenaline-filled, anti-gravity racing action in full-1080p High Definition (HD) running at a breathtaking 60-frames-per-second on PS3. Coming to the PlayStation Store soon, wipEout HD is set to redefine anti-gravity combat racing.

Featuring a selection of the best tracks taken from previous versions of the wipEout franchise, wipEout HD offers meticulously crafted and fully reworked tracks that showcase the processing power of PS3. And for the first time, players will have the option to navigate their ships utilizing the SIXAXIS wireless controller’s motion sensing technology.

Additionally, players will be able to take on the best competition from around the world in online multiplayer modes as up to eight players will be able to compete against each other in a range of online races. And to keep the adrenaline flowing, wipEout HD will include nine tracks from wipEout Pulse soundtrack, all remixed in 5.1 Dolby surround including artists like Kraftwerk, Booka Shade and Noisia.

WipEout HD Fury Add-on Includes:

Three New Race Types

Eliminator: The fan-favourite mode makes a triumphant return! Use the full arsenal of WipEout® HD’s weaponry to attack other racers and be the first to reach the target score. Score points for damaging and eliminating opponents. We have added a new feature allowing you to flip your ship through 180 degrees to take the fight to your foes head-on.
Zone Battle: A twist on the classic Zone mode, Zone Battle adds multiple ships to the Zone tracks for the first time. Compete with up to seven opponents to be the first to reach the Zone target. Using the Zone pads to charge your Zone bar you must then decide whether to fire it to advance up through the Zone levels or absorb to regain valuable lost energy all the while dodging obstacles left by your opponents.
Detonator: Detonator mode adds elements of the shoot ‘em-up genre to WipEout HD. The track is strewn with new types of mines and bombs, all you have to do is use the pulse cannon and EMP weapons on board the brand new Detonator ship to take them out. High scores are the name of the game.

12 New Tracks: A WipEout HD expansion pack wouldn’t be complete with out new race tracks and the Fury pack provides eight for you to enjoy in all race types plus four Zone tracks which are playable in Zone, Zone Battle and Detonator modes.
12 New Ships: In addition to the above new race types, each of the 12 WipEout HD teams now has a brand, new, sleek, mean-looking Fury ship. The teams have been hard at work tweaking their new ships giving them slightly enhanced performance.
New Fury Campaign: Fury features an extensive new single player campaign with 80 events for you to complete.
Note. All the new game modes and ships will be playable on the original HD tracks simply select them via the Racebox menu or play online!
6 New Music Tracks: New music from artists, Spector, The Crystal Method, Gingy, The Touch, Two Fingers and Noisia, all mixed in 5.1 surround sound.
13 New Trophies: There are, of course, new trophies to be won. These focus on the new game modes and content.
New Online Ranks and Badges: We have doubled the number of ranks which are attainable by playing the game online.Haveyou managed to get to rank 50 (Legend V)? Continue the good fight to reach rank 100! There are also a number of new online badges for the new game mode races.
New Menu Design: To reflect the intense feeling of the new content, a stunning new front-end design has been created. If you prefer the original design, don’t worry, you can switch back to the original at will in the Options menu.

WipEout HD is currently downloadable on the PlayStation Store for $19.99, while the Fury Addon will be available on July 24, 2009.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=64291
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/07/15/wipeout-fury-dated/
http://asia.playstation.com/hk/en/psn/addonDetail/64170

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY:hyper

I'm freakin' out!!!!!! o_O

Hemicrania
16th July 2009, 01:12 PM
Yey, one week away fellas! :hyper

kanar
16th July 2009, 01:20 PM
errrr baaaad timing for me. Gah release date in the middle of my holidays, I'll have to wait one more week before enjoying my beloved tech de ra and the rest of this fantastic dlc. Long life SL!

Reezy
16th July 2009, 01:24 PM
Wouldn't get your hopes up just yet guys. None of that is official, most of those link have already been posted in the last couple of days, and they were still just rumours then.

blackwiggle
16th July 2009, 01:38 PM
Like Colin Berry said.
Unless you hear it from Paul Tweedle or me,Don't believe it.

Kyonshi
16th July 2009, 01:38 PM
Wouldn't get your hopes up just yet guys. None of that is official, most of those link have already been posted in the last couple of days, and they were still just rumours then.

The article posted on Asian (Hong-Kong) Playstation site is dated from yesterday or few days earlier. Im pretty sure these infos on the game are official. SL would already have denied such article and/or removed it from circulation if it was non-official.

Also, the release date is mentioned to be the 24th but in fact, because it will be friday the 24th in HK, it will be the 23rd in America/Europe. It will be out on a Thursday like usual.

blackwiggle
16th July 2009, 01:41 PM
The Russian PS site has a release date of August 7th.

Which is correct?

Wait for OFFICIAL conformation.

NightArh
16th July 2009, 01:45 PM
Sorry I was wrong. It was the date of that news posted:naught
Just a mistake in translation (Release date)

blackwiggle
16th July 2009, 01:48 PM
So the Russian Playstation sites posts stuff 45 days in advance does it.

Either way.

I expect a post by Paul [most likely as it's his baby now] or Colin tomorrow.

That would give the 5 day notice that we were promised.

zeeZ
16th July 2009, 01:52 PM
The russian news thingy just stated the existance/development of the DLC, no release date

Kyonshi
16th July 2009, 01:56 PM
So the Russian Playstation sites posts stuff 45 days in advance does it.

Either way.

I expect a post by Paul [most likely as it's his baby now] or Colin tomorrow.

That would give the 5 day notice that we were promised.

The same website in French version also have this date for the release of the article, not the game. In french, we state the day before the month, so that would be July 8th.

ProblemSolver
16th July 2009, 01:58 PM
Nice copy 'n past. Why open up a new thread when the sh!t is already discussed
over here; http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6253&page=65 ?
Are you reading the forum? And btw; Nothing is official for the US and EU, yet!
So why this thread, why this title using three !!! when the given release date
from asia might perhaps be a typo or not even valid for the US and EU at all?
I hope it's not, but still!

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=64291
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/07/15/wipeout-fury-dated/

have simply copied the news from WipeoutZone without given credit. That's all.
Not worth quoting....

Kyonshi
16th July 2009, 02:15 PM
Dude, relax. No need to get upset about me, right? The news have been copied from the official Hong-Kong Playstation site.

Second, since the news are so recent, maybe i got excited and wanted to tell people right away and didnt see the the thread already discussing Fury? Im new to WZ by the way, i may not be aware 24/7 of what's going on here.

Finally, if i'm all wrong, and its not the official release date, then laugh at my ass for all remaining of the year. I'll apologize and make a fool of myself and everyone will hate me and will want to murder me for stating such an harmful thing and making their lives a nightmare.

Amorbis
16th July 2009, 02:20 PM
Kyonshi you're not the one in the wrong here, I'd say that I am. Why me? Because I foolishly posted this two days ago without realising that just because I post it on this forum it won't stay in this forum. Even if you're correct on saying they got it from another source, which I think is doubtful, I still feel like I'm the one to blame.

The best thing we can do is wait for Paul or Colin to set everyone straight on the subject. Then we can back to waiting for it then after it's out we can put it all behind us and enjoy the game, which I know is what I'll be doing :D.

Kyonshi
16th July 2009, 02:27 PM
I understand what you say Amorbis. :)

Its just that The Sixth Axis website clearly states the source of their own article is from the official Hong-Kong Playstation site (its mentioned that a guy nicknamed JamboGT found out about it) and not from here, unless they are very clever in covering the way they collect infos... :P

ProblemSolver
16th July 2009, 02:35 PM
@Kyonshi: It's not about whether you are right about the release date or not.
That's pure speculation. It's about how you have written your initial post.

And don't take my sayings too personal, the [rant] tag have a meaning.

NightArh
16th July 2009, 02:38 PM
The russian news thingy just stated the existance/development of the DLC, no release date

Yeah like in the German store. Both stores are the same

blackwiggle
16th July 2009, 02:39 PM
Just stick a comment over your PS3's Avatar saying "July 24th FURY?"

Covers your butt and lets all know at the same time.

Kyonshi
16th July 2009, 02:53 PM
@Kyonshi: It's not about whether you are right about the release date or not.
That's pure speculation. It's about how you have written your the initial post.

And don't take my sayings too personal, the [rant] tag have a meaning.

Yes i understand about the rant thing, you have all rights to express yourself on whatever you want. Its just that i easily felt being the immediate target of the rant because you were somehow aggresive.

But i don't hold a grudge against you dude, no worries about that, no over something so trivial as video game discussion forums :)

I just thought that since Hong-Kong are ahead of us in time, they may have been informed about that from Sony officials way before us... It can happen! I feel its the real release date anyway. I bet you couples of german beers on that! :D

Reezy
16th July 2009, 03:19 PM
I assumed JamboGT was a poster here and he read the post that Amorbis made.

blackwiggle
16th July 2009, 03:22 PM
But it's Hong Kong.

It could be Wipeout [Chicken] FLURY!

Get Vaccinated NOW!

diddymal
16th July 2009, 03:48 PM
^ BAH DUM TISS

This is awesome, I'm guessing Australia will be late on getting it as per usual. Plus my shitty dialup connection will mean I'll have to wait a day or two for it to download :|

krioto
16th July 2009, 03:59 PM
Doesn't look like being today (I was hoping) - store is updated now.

Lance
16th July 2009, 04:22 PM
We do have a member here named "Jambo"; been here since 2005.

Jambo
16th July 2009, 04:29 PM
Hey sorry thats me, yeah I passed on the website to TSA, the more exposure for WipEout the better I say. Wasn't able to get Jambo on PSN :(

ProblemSolver
16th July 2009, 04:51 PM
... because you were somehow aggresive. ...
Could be true. Seconds before I had read your thread I was reading 'cheating
the ZONE' and got reminded (again) how badly everything turned out. Anyhow,
that's another story....

But this isn't to say that I like your initial post! ;)

My fridge is stacked up with beer the day Fury comes out, for sure. I guess we
will have a nice little party over here. :hyper

@Jambo: No problem. Spreading Fury is key. :nod
"Source: Hong Kong PlayStation site Thanks, Jambo from WipeoutZone.com"
would sound a lot better, if you ask me. :P

Jambo
16th July 2009, 04:55 PM
Sorry :(

Kyonshi
16th July 2009, 06:14 PM
Hey Jambo, what are you sorry about? :) I think you did the right move. If the information is correct, then fine, we just know way ahead before its released, no more hassle.

On the other hand, if by any means its a wrong info, you did right anyway imo. Cuz the more it's spreaded around, the faster SCEE/SL will notice it and they will issue an official statement to deny what was said on Hong-Kong PS website.

If you consider the last probability, that would have already happened i think, since this piece of info is backing from yesterday of a bit earlier.

Jambo
16th July 2009, 06:50 PM
Well was sorry for not putting wipeoutzone on my tweet lol!

At the end of the day it came from an official Sony site so I am relatively confident. Saying that Paul or Colin may have something different to say!

Rubix42
16th July 2009, 07:46 PM
Just a couple of hours to the US PSN update. Maybe we'll get a sneak peek at Fury a week ahead of EU?
:naughty
Yeah right, we don't even have the Pulse packs over here, what am I saying...

KIGO1987
16th July 2009, 07:48 PM
Im going to ask here. What are the alternative ways of adding credit to your PSN account that doesnt involve Going and using the MediaGO application on a computer or going on the PS store itself, anyone know?

Jambo
16th July 2009, 07:56 PM
I don't think there is any other way other than the PSN cards which are only available in USA, Canada and Japan as far as I remember.

KIGO1987
16th July 2009, 08:14 PM
So ****ing stupid. I hate touching Credit Cards, even Debit cars. Im the person who actually likes buying the physical product with cash.

axisone
17th July 2009, 09:48 AM
But it's Hong Kong.

It could be Wipeout [Chicken] FLURY!

Get Vaccinated NOW!

You're quite right! The news couldn't possibly be true; it's from Hong Kong, and they have bird flu!
Good to know that the avian virus is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of my city.

Well, if it really does show up on the HK store on the 24th, I'd be extremely pleased. I just hope I can get some sort of official word from the forums.

mic-dk
17th July 2009, 09:55 AM
Im the person who actually likes buying the physical product with cash.

You mean, like a downloadable only expansion to a downloadable only game?

:D

Cerium
17th July 2009, 09:59 AM
Awww... thanks SL. I didn't realize you guys were giving me Fury for my birthday. :D

username
17th July 2009, 10:03 AM
I hope all parts of the world get the fury pack released at the same time. Usually the european games are a little slow. But im guessing with SL it will be Britain first, wahey! :D

kit-yun
17th July 2009, 11:20 AM
it's not thursday 24 july.... not good for us. 23 july in europe you think really ? official or just a wish... i really hope.

Artieficial
17th July 2009, 11:41 AM
Whatever the case, it's probably going to be released 'sooner' rather than 'later'. And I can't wait - Wipeout HD is the best PS3-title easily, and Fury only adds gas to the fire. I just hope, fiercely, that Fury brings back the meticulous stats-tracking that is featured in both Pure and Pulse. Now *that* would be awesome. :)

diddymal
17th July 2009, 12:21 PM
@Artieficial - There's a new trophy that has something to do with viewing all the stats in the game so there's a good chance you'll get what you want.

Artieficial
17th July 2009, 01:14 PM
@Artieficial - There's a new trophy that has something to do with viewing all the stats in the game so there's a good chance you'll get what you want.

Where's the new trophy-list?

Oh, and awesome. :)

Handmadelion
17th July 2009, 01:52 PM
So ****ing stupid. I hate touching Credit Cards, even Debit cars. Im the person who actually likes buying the physical product with cash.

You're also that jerk in the commercial thats slowing everybody down while they're just zipping through the card machines. :naughty

KIGO1987
17th July 2009, 02:43 PM
Cash is the best way of payment, shiit, you know whats better than cash, batar transactions.

mic-dk
17th July 2009, 02:58 PM
Kigo, you definately live in the wrong century.

You would've made an excellent merchant in Venice!

:D

PLazarou
17th July 2009, 03:09 PM
Wipeout HD is the best PS3-title easily
Steady on there... I mean, it's probably my favourite PS3 game too, but if we're being objective, is it the best? I'd say the likes of LittleBigPlanet and Metal Gear Solid 4 are more impressive creations. And if we count multi-platform games, I can easily add a few more to the list (The Orange Box, Bioshock, Grand Theft Auto IV, Call of Duty 4, etc...)

satriales
17th July 2009, 03:16 PM
Zico has confirmed on the EU PS blog that Fury will be out on the 23rd July priced at £7.99/9.99EURO

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/07/17/wipeout-fury-developer-diary-new-game-modes/

mic-dk
17th July 2009, 03:23 PM
Sweet. My vacation starts that friday - a nice bit of planning on my part, if you don't mind me saying so.

One thing I don't understand though, is why we have to pay so much more in € compared to the prices in £? Looks like Sony hasn't paid much attention to exchange rates lately...

Oh well, it's still a bloody bargain!

Rubix42
17th July 2009, 03:33 PM
Same post is on the US PS Blog. 7-23 for $9.99 US.

sny
17th July 2009, 03:39 PM
He just HAD to say it at the end of the report:

...and please don’t hate me too much...

I lol'd. :D :lol

I hope he doesn't really become too depressed at the Zico-bashing one-liners, it's aimed at the Trophy after all. :)

KGB
17th July 2009, 03:40 PM
Great! Didn't think it would come out this fast and so cheap, i was expecting to pay the same amount as HD.

My wife can expect to become a wipeout widow again ;)

sny
17th July 2009, 03:44 PM
My wife can expect to become a wipeout widow again ;)

LOL! I just hope she doesn't take it personally when she hears the game say "Contender eliminated". :lol

Kyonshi
17th July 2009, 03:50 PM
Steady on there... I mean, it's probably my favourite PS3 game too, but if we're being objective, is it the best? I'd say the likes of LittleBigPlanet and Metal Gear Solid 4 are more impressive creations. And if we count multi-platform games, I can easily add a few more to the list (The Orange Box, Bioshock, Grand Theft Auto IV, Call of Duty 4, etc...)

Please add inFamous. :) INFAMOUS!!!!:hyper

Amorbis
17th July 2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for sharing the information Satriales. £8 sounds reasonable for almost doubling the game content, better value than most DLC on the store, namely the map packs for various FPS games.

I now can't wait for next Tuesday's patch and then Thursday for the main event. August's AVALON will be more fun with the extra stuff too :D.

stin
17th July 2009, 03:57 PM
Zico has confirmed on the EU PS blog that Fury will be out on the 23rd July priced at £7.99/9.99EURO

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/07/17/wipeout-fury-developer-diary-new-game-modes/

Seriously, that is fuking amazing price!:o

And I will be getting it one!

stevie:hyper

PLazarou
17th July 2009, 04:02 PM
Please add inFamous. :) INFAMOUS!!!!:hyper
Hehe. Not sure about that dude... I wasn't particularly impressed by the demo...

Lance
17th July 2009, 04:10 PM
You're also that jerk in the commercial thats slowing everybody down while they're just zipping through the card machines. :naughty

Around here they don't zip through the card machines; many of the card users are so unskilled that they have to try 3 or 4 times before they can get it to work, while I am standing there with about 3 items to buy and with the cash already in hand whilst waiting through their retrys. If they'd paid with cash, I'd already be done and outta there and on my way home with the goodies.

kaori
17th July 2009, 04:13 PM

Paul had said us only him or Colin Berry will announce us the date and price, I don't believe this :naughty

No it's a joke, YEAH !

And I love this Zico's sentence : "Eliminator mode was relatively easy to get in since it was taken from WipEout Pulse (http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/games/detail/item62324/WipEout%C2%AE-Pulse/) but we wanted to make it even better. Someone came up with the idea of having the 180 degree flip, which allows you to flip your ship, fly backwards down the track and fire your weapons at on coming opponents, like the Quake, which I know some people missed being able to do like they could in Pulse."

Have Fun :hyper

aerobie
17th July 2009, 04:25 PM
Awesome! Out in one more week? And only $9.99 (probably a touch more for us in Canada, plus tax)?!?!?!? This completely justifies my PS3 purchase all over again!!! Thank you Studio Liverpool!

EPSILON
17th July 2009, 04:32 PM
Yeahhhhhh :hyper :hyper

I'll Be back !

RedScar
17th July 2009, 04:45 PM
"Finally I hope everyone enjoys this expansion and please don’t hate me too much, it’s not really that hard to Beat Zico…."

HAHA Priceless
Can't wait, its written on my calender!

KIGO1987
17th July 2009, 04:50 PM
Seriously, that is fuking amazing price!:o

And I will be getting it one!

stevie:hyper

Gotta love how it was Mr Lui who posted that. Gotta love what Guillemots said in his comment. XD, lol.

Around here they don't zip through the card machines; many of the card users are so unskilled that they have to try 3 or 4 times before they can get it to work, while I am standing there with about 3 items to buy and with the cash already in hand whilst waiting through their retrys. If they'd paid with cash, I'd already be done and outta there and on my way home with the goodies.

True true.

LOUDandPROUD
17th July 2009, 04:52 PM
Woo-hoo! Next week! :hyper It's not often I want to rush through my weekend, but this weekend is an exception! I just know work is going to draaaaaag next week too! Ugh! I can't wait though! $9.99 is a bargain too! Thank you, SL! :+

Aeroracer
17th July 2009, 04:58 PM
:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyperWow. out next week, what a good time to learn a new, just as they are about to release a new one..cant wait.

MAMUTH
17th July 2009, 05:05 PM
holly crap ten bucks? thats ridiculously low...i would gladly pay twice as much...waitig till wednesday will certainly kill me:lol

PLazarou
17th July 2009, 05:44 PM
Some of you guys really need some perspective. I know most people on here would pay through the nose for anything with Wipeout written on it, but £7.99/$9.99 is not 'cheap'.

To everyone shocked by the 'low' price, have you not seen DLC before? This will be one of the more expensive game add-ons available on the Store. The vast majority of DLC is below £5. And it's not entirely dependant on content either - one of the largest DLCs is the UT3 Titan Pack, which is free.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to fight for the other corner and claim it's too expensive at £7.99, but I'm just saying... realistically... what did you all expect? DLC more expensive than the actual game?:lol

IDReaper
17th July 2009, 05:47 PM
Zico you saved me, I almost spent my cash on something else. But now I have the power to hold on... YAAAAAAAYYYYAAAAAAASOAFhsdhgklasdh;:lol

kaori
17th July 2009, 06:14 PM
Some of you guys really need some perspective. I know most people on here would pay through the nose for anything with Wipeout written on it, but £7.99/$9.99 is not 'cheap'.

To everyone shocked by the 'low' price, have you not seen DLC before? This will be one of the more expensive game add-ons available on the Store. The vast majority of DLC is below £5. And it's not entirely dependant on content either - one of the largest DLCs is the UT3 Titan Pack, which is free.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to fight for the other corner and claim it's too expensive at £7.99, but I'm just saying... realistically... what did you all expect? DLC more expensive than the actual game?:lol

For me this DLC does more than to double the game. It's a kind of new episode of the game, compatible with the first episode.

Cyberio
17th July 2009, 06:15 PM
Finally is official.
This Thursday will have our desired fury.

Paul Tweedle
17th July 2009, 06:18 PM
Glad you're all looking forward to it.

I've been DYING to tell you all the release date and price all week but I couldn't until it was officially announced over the PlayStation Blog.

I'm sure when you play it and see how much content there is you will all agree that the price really does represent a bargain. You have a whole new Campaign to play through, THREE new game modes, loads of new tracks to learn, new ships, new online ranks, a newly redesigned front end and new music! I've probably missed something out!

Also, we have fixed a number of small issues I know you guys have been concerned about for a while so keep your eyes peeled for those too!

See you online, in Fury next week!!!

Paul.

SaturnReturn
17th July 2009, 06:26 PM
Are the fixes available if we don't buy Fury? Shouldn't we have been given them already if they fix problems in the current game?

BARTgai
17th July 2009, 06:30 PM
They're probably in update going out on Tuesday.

aerobie
17th July 2009, 06:33 PM
Zico's post says 6 new music tracks. Does anyone know what the music tracks are?

Hacker X
17th July 2009, 06:36 PM

$10 for Fury is CHEAP. If you don't think so, then you haven't been gaming that long. We paid $20 for Wipeout HD, and now $10 for the Fury pack which doubles the rather lengthy HD campaign, and adds new gaming elements, and such. That still only tallies to $30 total for the full HD experience.

Now, lets go back to 1996, when Wipeout 1, then XL, and then WO3 were all $40-50ish. Waaaay less content for a heftier price. Wipeout HD and its price points are more than amazing for the Wipeout fans that love that SL has kept the franchise going.

I happily thank SL for a great WO experience with PURE, PULSE, HD, and the coming FURY. Your efforts are highly appreciated. And yes, Wipeout is probably my favorite gaming series of all time, next to Street Fighter. No complaints here.

Paul Tweedle
17th July 2009, 06:36 PM
Are the fixes available if we don't buy Fury? Shouldn't we have been given them already if they fix problems in the current game?

Yes Saturn they are included in the patch which you can download on Tuesday.

Given them already? Like I have said many, many times each and every patch has to go through a lengthy and thorough testing process. It's not as simple as fixing a bug and chucking a fix up on the server. Believe me when I tell you that we (and every other developer no doubt) work very, very hard to provide the very best product we can.

Paul.

Rubix42
17th July 2009, 06:44 PM
Well done on the DLC front SL. Well done indeed. This is way more content than most developers deliver (maybe I shouldn't tell you that;)) but it is highly appreciated. Keep up the great work.

DrMannevond
17th July 2009, 06:47 PM
Aerobie : This is from the asian playstation-blog :

6 NEW MUSIC TRACKS: New music from artists, Spector, The Crystal Method, Gingy, The Touch, Two Fingers and Noisia, all mixed in 5.1 surround sound.

Doesn't say what songs, but I'm guessing Machine Gun from Noisia at least:lol

OBH
17th July 2009, 06:49 PM
Time to lie, cheat and steal to get my ps3 in working order :)
if all else fails cellotape and super glue!

DividedXZero
17th July 2009, 06:53 PM
Yes Saturn they are included in the patch which you can download on Tuesday.

Given them already? Like I have said many, many times each and every patch has to go through a lengthy and thorough testing process. It's not as simple as fixing a bug and chucking a fix up on the server. Believe me when I tell you that we (and every other developer no doubt) work very, very hard to provide the very best product we can.

Paul.

I think what he meant was do we need to DL Fury to get fixes (included as part of the Fury DLC) or would they be downloaded as a seperate patch. Makes sense to avoid having to pay for a fix by having it included as part of the DLC.

And I have no doubt everyone at SL works hard on bugs/glitches/and DLC. It's greatly appreciated! All we can do is support Wipeout and its DLC to show our appreciation. But you guys are the "magic" behind our adrenaline pumped AG racing addiction! ;)

SaturnReturn
17th July 2009, 07:01 PM
Paul. It was mentioned some time ago that there were fixes for problems that would be released along with Fury. In my own head, that means problems are fixed. As an extension of that, I would assume that it was tested and ready to go. If it hasn't been tested then it could still not work, and isn't really a fix at all. It's just a matter of semantics really that made me think there were fixes ready to go that were being withheld until Fury for some reason, and I couldn't think of a good reason why. I guess it's more efficient to implement it all at the same time though, so further testing and a synchronised server update to handle fixes and the DLC would make sense.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying. I might not buy Fury right away as I'm only just getting to where I want to be with the current game, so it's good to know I'll get the fixes as well (and before Fury comes out too :D).
Thanks to SL for taking the feedback on board and working on the issues. I'll try to be slightly less sceptical in future.

ProblemSolver
17th July 2009, 07:04 PM
... Shouldn't we have been given them already if they fix problems in the current game?
Was thinking the same.

Well, I guess they've fixed lots of bugs etc. weeks before but have somehow
decided to apply all these changes in one go (to make it big), which is odd if
true. It seems like that even bugfixes need a blog these days. I don't know....

Edit:
Two question:
(a) Will the Fury DLC taken from store A and WipEout HD taken from store B be
compatible assuming that A != B?
(b) Are Save Games region independent?

SaturnReturn
17th July 2009, 07:15 PM
Hehe ProblemSolver. For some reason, at the same time that you were thinking the same, I was thinking that you would probably think the same. Coincidence? Yes! :D

RedScar
17th July 2009, 07:18 PM
I don't find it odd, its annoying for the user to have to update a game every week with a small bug fix. It also requires additional strain on the servers since they have to be updated for the patch, have everyone dl the patch, then run it. The chance of this running smoothly and without faults is unlikely. Its easier to prep the server for a big transition from patch to patch.

That and I'm sure they have designed the patch so that it works with fury, rather then release it before fury and then when fury comes out finding it doesn't work with the previous patch causing a lot of the bugs to resurface.

YouAreFubar
17th July 2009, 07:28 PM
Zico has just made his way back into my good books! All is forgiven for sharing the great news with us. The next week is going to drag so slowly, I cant wait! :hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper

:naughty

Look how small that add on content usually is (apart from Titan, which to be fair is a one off). The Call of Duty and Killzone map packs, 2 maps for £5-£7, and if you really have money to burn, why not buy a gun skin for Dead Space that does nothing else but makes it look pretty! Whereas with WipEout your getting 12 courses, 3 game modes, new ship designs, 6 new licensed music tracks and new campaigns for just a little more than a map pack which only gives you 2 new arenas to play on. Yes, the price is a tiny bit higher (and I mean a tiny weeny bit higher) compared to other DLC, but there is so much content its perfectly justified. I think the value for money is so much better! And Fury is only 2 thirds the cost of the full game and it almost doubles what you can do. Again, I think it justifies the cost. For what you are getting, it is cheap!

silverfoxy
17th July 2009, 07:36 PM
I'm sorry but it will be the best £7-99 I ever spend. I think I paid £12-99 for the original and when I think of how many amazing hours I've spent on it and how many more to come it is my best value game ever. I'd have happily paid the same as the original game as you're getting 3 new modes with the ability to do all of those on the original tracks as well as the 12 new ones.

So around 5pm on Thursday. Best warn the Mrs now !!

ProblemSolver
17th July 2009, 08:26 PM
... Best warn the Mrs now !!
xD

Hehe ProblemSolver. For some reason, at the same time that you were thinking the same, I was thinking that you would probably think the same. Coincidence? Yes! :D
Yeah pretty obvious. :D

But I knew already that they would keep those bugfixes until the release of
Fury. I guess they were so focused on kicking Fury out the door that every
other non-Fury stuff didn't got much of a chance.

@RedScar: That depends on how one has built the infrastructure.

... its annoying for the user to have to update a game every week with a small bug fix. It also requires additional strain on the servers since they have to be updated for the patch, have everyone dl the patch, then run it. The chance of this running smoothly and without faults is unlikely. Its easier to prep the server for a big transition from patch to patch.
Then what is automatism all about?

That and I'm sure they have designed the patch so that it works with fury, rather then release it before fury and then when fury comes out finding it doesn't work with the previous patch causing a lot of the bugs to resurface.
lol That's kinda of a Microsoft argument, i.e. 'with the next version of
Windows all current bugs will be fixed'. But hey, not everyone will buy the
next Windows. People simply want to have support for a product they
just bought a few month ago.

Fury will have new bugs as well. So there must be an infrastructure with
as less overhead as possible to allow for quick updates to the game.

But who cares? The average Joe eats it anyways....

Rubix42
17th July 2009, 09:00 PM
I'm confused, I thought it was 4 new tracks, with a forward and reverse for 8 total tracks.

And I've now seen 12 listed in a couple of places, a few posts up most recently.

So which is the correct answer?

IDReaper
17th July 2009, 09:07 PM
4 Fwd/Rev + 4 Zone tracks from Pure. This brings the total to 12.

Aeroracer
17th July 2009, 09:09 PM

wow a time travellar from 1970's....
Unfortunatly 8 pounds really dosnt buy much now.maybe i can get a vodka with a redbull from my favourite winebar in southwark.:p:p:p
if you want a bargin i suggest you go to to poundland

Kyonshi
17th July 2009, 09:14 PM
10$ for such awesomeness is nothing! At least SL aren't rip-offs like CapCom are.

Such a big DLC is worth lot more than 10$ and i will gladly pay this price without question. SL knows how to do things ;)

Eloï
17th July 2009, 09:15 PM
"The vast majority of DLC is below £5."

What? I rarely saw a DLC < 5 euros, and the vast majority of these are suits and this kind of stuff ( LBP, Dead Space... )

10 euros was the price of a single mode in Burnout Paradise, which was just a "catch the flag". Here we have new tracks, new modes ( zone battle being totally unexpected ), enhanced graphics, musics... And the best is, Fury will last very long and add a totally new experience.

I'm all against DLC, I always prefer to see the developpers focus on a new game rather than just an " add-on". But Fury is really what every DLC should be and I'll buy it (if possible). Good work SL :+ I really trust you guys.

OBH
17th July 2009, 09:29 PM
How can anyone argue with price of woHD?

* £12 for woHD is the best "release date" price ive ever seen.
* If its £8 for Fury thats pretty good too!

To my knowledge weren't the pulse downloads originally stated at £12 each? Far worse value. (Though then dropped to £3).

As for patches, until you do their work you wont know how hard it is. Just remember not everyones as sh*te as EA.

RedScar
17th July 2009, 09:51 PM
xD
lol That's kinda of a Microsoft argument, i.e. 'with the next version of
Windows all current bugs will be fixed'. But hey, not everyone will buy the
next Windows. People simply want to have support for a product they
just bought a few month ago.

I was saying this as apposed to releasing the fixes for whatever earlier as apposed to waiting and making one big patch. I am against the idea of not giving those who don't buy fury the patch.

TheFrostE
17th July 2009, 10:07 PM
saturn...youll buy it on day one and you know it lol

Handmadelion
17th July 2009, 10:12 PM

well I'll be... after all that taking from me, Zico finally gives some back. I am somewhat closer to consolation today.

RJ O'Connell
17th July 2009, 10:26 PM
I might need to be forcibly removed from my PS3 once Fury is released.

Handmadelion
17th July 2009, 10:45 PM
I believe that would have to be a double for me, RJ.

Having just gotten off of a Metropia Forward (why forward, i don't know) I can say the knowledge of the tracks is really dulling it down for me. I know my turns and lines, braking and acceleration. So I do think it is high time we get some new tracks into our systems. And I forget who linked the video of Fury footage by the frenchman but whatever track he had been racing on was extremely claustrophobic, narrow, and tight. It looked impossible to race on at Flash or whatever racing class he was at. So imagining it at Phantom, and trying to go anymore crafts wide than my own through any part of that track mind boggled me. It's like the cluster at the Chenghou hairpin only for a whole track :hyper

I can't wait.

ProblemSolver
17th July 2009, 11:21 PM
@RedScar: You got me somewhat wrong. Granted, I wasn't explicit enough.
I meant that people wanna have a continuous support for their product they
just bought a few month ago whether there is a new product on the horizon or
not. With respect to Fury, I don't like the idea of waiting for a DLC just to
get all the latest bugfixes that could had been applied weeks before. Further,
as a customer I don't have to care whether their bugfixes work with Fury or
not. It's up to SL to bring everything in line.

My statement is the following; If they had bugfixes ready since for about
two or three weeks, then I would be very pleased to get those the day they are
ready, ahead of Fury! If they say; 'Nope, bugfixes weren't ready', no problem!
But collecting them just to release a big one weeks or even month (?) later
is, in my opinion, not very pleasing (if true). That's it. No offense! ;)

... was extremely claustrophobic, narrow, and tight. It looked impossible to race on at Flash.... So imagining it at Phantom, and trying to go anymore crafts wide than my own through any part of that track ...
I rike it. :nod

Colin Berry
18th July 2009, 12:48 AM
I once paid over £80 for a copy of street fighter on the snes

The new call of duty coming this year has a retail price of £55

The Fury DLC is a HUGE chunk of game, it is hours and hours and hours

Its not just cheap, its an absolute criminal ****ing steal
You cant even buy one pint and 20 cigarettes for £7.99 !

yes yes yes I am bias (though I didnt work directly on Fury)
but its beyond cheap
Its a year of development, its hours of play just in single player which is multiplied greatly with online play

Its two copies of FHM !

Its less than the price of 3 pints !

Its about 20mins worth of footy at a premiership ground

HISHO[JP]
18th July 2009, 12:52 AM
Sadly, SONY Japan doesn't announce anything about FURY (http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/list/list_pre.html).
I think it means "FURY will be put on the market delaying in Japan behind EU and US", just like original WOHD....:frown:

Nunalho
18th July 2009, 12:52 AM
I once paid over £80 for a copy of street fighter on the snes

The new call of duty coming this year has a retail price of £55

The Fury DLC is a HUGE chunk of game, it is hours and hours and hours

You cant even buy one pint and 20 cigarettes for £7.99 !

yes yes yes I am bias (though I didnt work directly on Fury)
but its beyond cheap
Its a year of development, its hours of play just in single player which is multiplied greatly with online play

Its two copies of FHM !

Its less than the price of 3 pints !

Its about 20mins worth of footy at a premiership ground

You are right my good sir. It is well worth the money for all your efforts in this awsome game :hyper

Colin Berry
18th July 2009, 12:57 AM
Not my efforts this time :D I'm speaking as a fan rather than developer, I'll be paying my £7.99 later this week to fly my spanky new Qirex round Modesto

IH8YOU
18th July 2009, 01:07 AM
Later this week? It's Saturday where you are - and Friday here - how long are you weeks? ;)

stinkleroy
18th July 2009, 01:09 AM
I honestly would have been happy to pay double that, because as many others have said...HD was insanely cheap for a game that's provided me with hundreds of hours of play, and so many new friends. Priceless. Bring on the Fury! :g

LOUDandPROUD
18th July 2009, 01:14 AM
Amen to that!!! :)

IH8YOU
18th July 2009, 01:15 AM
I will buy you a Taco, if I can get HD Fury early. :lol

PLazarou
18th July 2009, 01:25 AM
Well a lot of you continue to be a bunch of deluded fanboys. £7.99 is not cheap for a piece of DLC. It is (fact) one of the more expensive add-ons, and rightfully so. It is a reasonable price for the Wipeout add-on, nothing more. Believe me I'm just as excited as everyone else, I'm just not jizzing myself over something coming out at the expected price, that could/should(?) have arrived much sooner than it has.

Before anybody feels like responding with more biased comments, please re-read the bits I have carefully marked in bold. I am not trying to start an argument! We're all friends here!

SaturnReturn
18th July 2009, 01:44 AM
Maybe you'd prefer it to be called 'good value'? But still, I think people can call it cheap. You're looking at absolute price, what if I compare on £ per hours of gameplay. It could be considered cheap then, compared with what you get with a lot of other stuff. There's more than one way to skin a piranha. Another example - 26" LCD TV for £10...cheap, 42" Plasma TV for £100...cheap. Just because the one is more expensive than the other doesn't mean it can't still be cheap. A silly example but I think it works all the same.

PLazarou
18th July 2009, 02:09 AM
Oh yes, in terms of the hours I will inevitably get out of it, it is indeed 'good value'. But that's because I am a fan, and it is down to me to extract this 'value'.

I've been trying to add a bit of perspective to this thread, i.e. the perspective of someone less hardcore, who may have only played HD a couple of times, found it very hard etc. and is considering whether it's really worth getting Fury. The 'value' then becomes more objective in this case.

eLhabib
18th July 2009, 02:23 AM
Good news! :)

Vincent_VII
18th July 2009, 07:11 AM
*grumble grumble* I need to buy a PS3 and play catchup. :dizzy

blackwiggle
18th July 2009, 07:49 AM
It will add a number of new features and tweaks to menus of the game including a brand new statistics section, new redesigned ship and track select screens and some new community/online features.

New community/online features sounds intriguing.

Could well be getting the ability to start Clans or Groups?

Just wondering.

That would awesome if it were so,guess we will find out on Tuesday.

OBH
18th July 2009, 07:54 AM
new statistics section could be good :) didnt know that was made too.

sounds better and better, and all for £8! :g

blackwiggle
18th July 2009, 08:02 AM
I wonder if the statistic part will already be populated with the mass of data SL would of got already from us.

If BR's done online are a stat,well you would want that to count into the millions for Leungbok & Piraphaic sake otherwise it would be resetting back to zero every few months :lol

djKyoto
18th July 2009, 08:28 AM
Kigo probably knows what i'm on about, but...

I retract any earlier statements or PSN user messages about Zico being my bitch after acquring a certain Trophy. Cheers for the info. I'm guessing that will be about $15.95 AU.

Have a coffee on me instead Mr. Liu. :coffee;)

ProblemSolver
18th July 2009, 09:09 AM
@PLazarou: I get your point. But! It's kinda useless to talk to the fanbase
about the price, don't you think? Hell, honestly, I would pay 150 EUR to get
the game -- just to give you a number. For us, WipEout HD and Fury is
essentially priceless. Show me a scale that can measure WipEout. I tell you,
there isn't any. And as such it's up to you whether the DLC is a bit to
expensive or not. And judging the game only by the amount of its content
is the worst thing one can do. The game is polished up to an unbelievable
degree. All the countless hours spent in its design and programming is way
beyond any measure.

I would even call it a master-piece if....

rdmx
18th July 2009, 09:14 AM
Any reports on Australian pricing? It's never a direct conversion.

KIGO1987
18th July 2009, 09:32 AM
An AUD price would be nice.

Kigo probably knows what i'm on about, but...

I retract any earlier statements or PSN user messages about Zico being my bitch after acquring a certain Trophy. Cheers for the info. I'm guessing that will be about $15.95 AU.

Have a coffee on me instead Mr. Liu. :coffee;)

I remember that but that was ages ago. That along with your Cowboy avatar made me laugh my head off everytime i saw it. Classic Kyoto. "Zico is my Bitch" XD.

stinkleroy
18th July 2009, 10:17 AM
Oh yes, in terms of the hours I will inevitably get out of it, it is indeed 'good value'. But that's because I am a fan, and it is down to me to extract this 'value'.

I've been trying to add a bit of perspective to this thread, i.e. the perspective of someone less hardcore, who may have only played HD a couple of times, found it very hard etc. and is considering whether it's really worth getting Fury. The 'value' then becomes more objective in this case.

I understand your point, however...

At the end of the day, someone who isn't really a hardcore fan and is interested in Fury DLC is still getting a bargain....HD + Fury = £20....that's still cheap for a game (plus DLC), I've paid £45+ in the past for games that have been absolute crap by any standards...so yes even for the less hardcore wipers. This is still cheap :)

sny
18th July 2009, 11:05 AM

I gotta agree, I actually feel bad to some extend about ripping SL off... which makes me wonder: either it's really financially detrimental to release one year worth of work at such a price (in which case everyone ought to buy two copies of WOHD+Fury so the dev team can afford their fuel... err, coffee for the development cycle of the next DLC :lol), or most other companies just release games that have a completely unfair effort/price ratio, and we've become so used to it that we don't even notice anymore.

blackwiggle
18th July 2009, 11:34 AM
Well I'm guessing that roughly at least 400,000 copies were downloaded of HD.

If only 60- 75% of people downloaded FURY that already have HD it would make a profit.

The crew that made it was trimmed quite extensively over the original HD crew as would be my understanding,well from what I've read here over the last 8 months people have been reassigned to other projects.

Paul and ZICO have gone from testers to project managers.:hyper

ProblemSolver
18th July 2009, 11:34 AM
@sny: Exactly my thought!

Something is 'wrong' with the pricing, honestly, especially if we compare
the whole thing to others. Perhaps Sony / SL do follow a certain strategy
here? Most likely.

Z_Zoquis
18th July 2009, 12:12 PM
well, its not necessarily a matter of something being "wrong." I mean if we allow a sales number of 400,000 copies for Wipeout HD, thats 8 million dollars. With no overhead in terms of having to produce and ship a hard copy of the game and no middlemen like Walmart to have to deal with, thats a pretty respectable take. They'll sell a few more copies of the base game now at the sale price, and hopefully a shedload of the add-on at 10 bucks to make a few more million in income. I'm sure the devs are smart enough to price it such that they can pay the bills and still have a bit left over... :)

I agree that $9.99 is a very reasonable price for FURY and I can't wait to get mine. I don't know where the notion that DLC is usually $5 or less comes from. BSI for Burnout was $19.99 no? Both the recent add-ons for Pacific Rift were $9.99. FURY is way more than just a pack of skins or something...in fact I'd say its way more than the Island for Burnout. So yeah, reasonable for anyone and really almost a gift if you're a fan. I was really expecting it to be $19.99, or at the very least $14.99.

edit - actually the Island was $12.99...but my point still stands.

Cyberio
18th July 2009, 01:27 PM
Well, i paid 10€ for a Metal Gear Online Expansion, which i didn't use all i wanted, because the maps included were used by expert people in that game, and i was killed everytime i got into some of these maps. Anyway, this gene expansion for 10€ (one year ago, now it's cheaper) had 3 maps only and one new game mode (i don't know exactly but i think it's free now) and 2 MGS characters who you will be lucky if you control them in an online match.

We all know yet what includes Fury, so i will not repeat again, but 10€ is the best price for the expansion with all that content.

Less days to thursday!

Axel
18th July 2009, 01:46 PM
Isn't that dandy then. I had £3 left on my account when I bought HD. Only have to top it by a fiver and now i have the expansion. I'm loving the pricing guys, great job. all in all the full set comes to £20 quid. Bargain in my books.

ProblemSolver
18th July 2009, 01:47 PM
@Cyberio: MGO is worth every penny. Its depth and variety is unmatched.
Yeah, it's a tough game, like WipEout HD, but I always get something out of it.
There was not even 1 second were I got bored of MGO. And I play this game
since day 1.

... I'm sure the devs are smart enough to price it such that they can pay the bills and still have a bit left over... :)
For sure. But I would spend a bit more just to ensure that the game will be
supported in *great* detail over the next month. Further, I want to be
assured (somehow) that they start working, at full force, on something
new after Fury is out the door (after vacation, of course). One can never
have enough money to rightfully accomplish all the things mentioned.

I imagine a Velocity DLC for WipEout HD where speed is the one and only
priority.

Btw; Welcome on board! :)
Perhaps you wanna introduce yourself over in the The Pilots Lounge.

blackwiggle
18th July 2009, 01:57 PM
It's an ABSOLUTE bargain.

NO other down loadable game has such "REPLAY' value even remotely close to this on ANY console.

I rarely call people idiots,but those that think this DLC is overpriced certainly
are.

This is going to get played and played and played again.

It might get those that just like destroying things [FPS fans] getting their jollies out of a racer :lol

Z_Zoquis
18th July 2009, 02:40 PM
Btw; Welcome on board! :)
Perhaps you wanna introduce yourself over in the The Pilots Lounge.

done. :)

mdhay
18th July 2009, 03:05 PM
Well, i paid 10€ for a Metal Gear Online Expansion, which i didn't use all i wanted, because the maps included were used by expert people in that game, and i was killed everytime i got into some of these maps. Anyway, this gene expansion for 10€ (one year ago, now it's cheaper) had 3 maps only and one new game mode (i don't know exactly but i think it's free now) and 2 MGS characters who you will be lucky if you control them in an online match.

Less days to thursday!

You should've just kept going on automatching, then you would have got some more practice.:D:)

Guys, I'm psyched about this release date, I might just put Oblivion and LittleBigPlanet down. :radar

Rapier Racer
18th July 2009, 03:21 PM
Excellent news, I'll be adding some funds to ones wallet very shortly, EIGHT QUID?!?

Is anyone familiar with that Burger King Advert where the guy goes in and makes his order, pays, then gets so much change back he feels like he just robbed them? Followed by him exiting through the nearest window? Yeah...

ProblemSolver
18th July 2009, 03:33 PM
Yeah, I know that :burger-advert. xD

jan709
18th July 2009, 04:44 PM
woohoo! fury!!

but i wont believe it until i see The "preparing for download" line on my tv screen
:)

Colin Berry
18th July 2009, 05:00 PM
Well a lot of you continue to be a bunch of deluded fanboys. £7.99 is not cheap for a piece of DLC. It is (fact) one of the more expensive add-ons, and rightfully so. It is a reasonable price for the Wipeout add-on, nothing more. Believe me I'm just as excited as everyone else, I'm just not jizzing myself over something coming out at the expected price, that could/should(?) have arrived much sooner than it has.

Before anybody feels like responding with more biased comments, please re-read the bits I have carefully marked in bold. I am not trying to start an argument! We're all friends here!

If you could buy a 1 bedroom flat in Grimsby for £20,000, would that mean a 4 bedroomed detached house in london for 200,000 was not cheap ?
Of course not.

It could not have arrived sooner (why do you think it could or should ???), its been in development months and the guys have been working round the clock on it busting their balls to get it done and fighting to include as much as possible and working late hours to cram as much in as they could, whilst also providing other patches in the meantime. Its come as early as possible, it was only finished and through master submission a week ago.

For what it is, £7.99 is cheap, as I said its not even 3 pints in a pub

If £7.99 isnt cheap because 1 song in rockband is a £0.99 then well . . . . I guess its individual perspective, in my book its beyond cheap, its an impulse dont even think twice price.

@blackwiggle, Paul and Zico werent testers... well ok Paul was about 167 years ago. zico is a coder, Paul is a dev manager :)

IH8YOU
18th July 2009, 05:27 PM
Okay, two Tacos.

Yes? :o

KGB
18th July 2009, 05:29 PM
My maths might be wrong here but,

If i have played HD for 354 hours and was £11.99 then that means it has cost me a little more than 3p per hour.

Fury being £7.99 and if i play it for the same time will cost even less.

Not a bad return in my book.

(someone check the maths please :lol)

Chill
18th July 2009, 05:32 PM
Personally, I was expecting 20 bucks... just as much as the game first was... considering it seems to double the game's size! And I still would think it was worth it...

But hey... 10 bucks (U.S.)... CHEAP!

Z_Zoquis
18th July 2009, 05:39 PM
I think the basic point PLazarou seems to be making is that since FURY's price is more or less in line with other premium DLC available for other games, its off-base to refer to it as "cheap." I think on the surface he's right. But if you actually compare the content then the argument starts to fall apart. From what I can tell, FURY is essentially like a new version of Wipeout HD...almsot Wipeout HD 2. It pretty much doubles the original games content. I don't think any previously available add-on for a game has done that. If you compare it to Burnout Paradise, it's like getting the Party Pack, Legends car pack, Toy cars, and Big Surf Island in one add-on. By that reasoning I don't think its off-base to refer to FURY as cheap...

Frances_Penfold
18th July 2009, 06:03 PM
I'm surprised at the low price for Fury though perhaps there is little choice given that the original release was only $20 USD.

IIRC the original WOHD is on sale in PSN this week, perhaps to draw some fence-sitters in before the release of the Fury DLC?

Discussions of video game prices are always weird for me, I am mostly interested in it for the insights it provides on the video game industry. So many factors-- the installed base of the console, development costs, expected sales at different price points, additional revenues from DLC. And it all "matters" to game fans because franchises need to be economically viable if they are to be supported into the future.

As a fan of Wipeout, I don't really care how much the game costs-- I would buy Fury at $50 or $100 because life is too damn short not to play the games that one wants to play! Of course, that pricing would no doubt be a tremendous mistake for the health of the franchise :) The low price points for WOHD and Fury suggests that Sony is positioning the franchise as a "staple" for the PSN network rather than an exclusive offering.

PLazarou
18th July 2009, 06:11 PM
It could not have arrived sooner (why do you think it could or should ???), its been in development months and the guys have been working round the clock on it busting their balls to get it done and fighting to include as much as possible and working late hours to cram as much in as they could, whilst also providing other patches in the meantime. Its come as early as possible, it was only finished and through master submission a week ago.
I seem to have struck a nerve here - my apologies. I wasn't suggesting that you guys aren't working hard enough, I'm just being critical of the online release model you guys have adopted, i.e. making a less-than fully featured Wipeout title, albeit for less money and then offering DLC later down the line to bump it up to a more substantial product.

Personally, I would have preferred to wait for a full release, Blu-Ray or otherwise, with the content of HD and Fury - surely if you'd worked to that more traditional development model the game would have indeed arrived slightly sooner (as you wouldn't have had to release several patches up until this point as you mentioned)?

leungbok
18th July 2009, 06:23 PM
Many full priced blu-ray games have download contents later after their appearance on stores. Do you call those games "incomplete" too ?
I was already happy with HD as it's atm. Of course, like everybody, if i can have more ... ;)
Downloadable games and contents seems to be the future in the video game industry, with advantages and regrets. We can't do nothing about that, just follow (or not) the movement.
Thanks anyway Colin, Paul and Zico for the good news :)

OLOuk
18th July 2009, 06:33 PM
8£ for FURY is a bargain of a year!I was ready to pay any money, but I expected like 13.99£ minimum.

PLazarou
18th July 2009, 06:53 PM
Many full priced blu-ray games have download contents later after their appearance on stores. Do you call those games "incomplete" too ?
*sigh*

Firstly, I didn't say it was 'incomplete'. I said it was 'less than fully-featured, albeit at a lower price'. If you compare HD to the PSP's Pulse, it is obvious to see what is missing from HD.

And yes, I realise many games offer DLC. The difference is, the majority of these retail games have more substantial content in the first place (to warrant their full retail price), and the DLC is optional extra stuff on top of that. (And no, I'm not a fan of this kind DLC either, unless it's free...)

But in the case of Wipeout on PS3, this upcoming DLC is essential in order to make HD comparable to the content of a full retail game like Pulse. Thankfully, because the pricing for both HD and Fury is right, this isn't a problem. All I was saying was that I would have preferred to wait for all of this content in one major release.

Colin Berry
18th July 2009, 06:57 PM
With Wipeout Pure, we were set a direct challenge by Phil Harrison to make the game and support it with DLC, which we did, we pioneered DLC for handheld games, and actually learnt a lot from doing it and indeed we were one of the front runners for DLC for Playstation, if not in terms of timing of release in terms of technology, we helped define how things worked through the skillsof the coders we had on our team.

With Pulse we continued to push things with user created content through the ship skin tool, and also by trying to establish some online play.

With Hd we wanted to help push the PSN and the idea of downloading games.
Yup at the moment downloading games is not for everyone, but people said downloading mp3s would never take off because customers like to buy cds, as it is a few years on itunes and the like are proving that theory wrong

Personally I love the idea of downloading games, I can go online and buy a new game at any hour of any day, that is a great freedom and choice to have. I think its fantastic, do any of the current systems do it perfectly yet, no, but things are getting better at an exceptional rate. I think its cool that in years to come, people will be able to get a console on christmas day and go online and download a game they want and play it there and then (with ever increasing broadband etc) that rocks so much more than going to shops to buy a disc based game, where the shop takes as much if not more, money than the company making and publishing the game.

Wipeout HDs initial release perhaps had less features than we would have had had we decided to do a blu-ray, but it also gave us freedom to react to opinion. We never thought people would miss eliminator for example, yet they did, and thus we brought it back with Fury. Had we just done a one hit blu-ray, eliminator would not have been there.

I dont see the down side to the model we have adopted, the inital release is substantial and though it took some time, it took less time than a full blu-ray release would have, and it allowed us to get things to the consumer earlier. By doing so we can then react both to trends of the players and the market. Once Fury is out, the actual content of HD and Fury with all the features, will be in some ways larger than had we planned it for blu-ray from day 1. What HD did was allow us to get things out there and get the reactions of people, oh can we have this option in multiplayer and this, can we have this. We would have planned for many things that are there, but we certainly wouldnt have had them all.

What we have done has been more dynamic than simply doing a blu-ray would allow

On top of that there are other factors of development to consider, from available resources at particular times, to what the company requires at any point.
HD, and though it sounds shitty for me to blow the trumpet, but I will, HD set the benchmark for downloadable games, 1080p, multiplayer enabled, decent features set, less than 1gig initial download on PSN at a decent price, that is defining and setting a standard. Which frankly no other companys have come close to in overall terms
Had we just opted to release a blu-ray version, well... we've done that, ok not a blu-ray, but we've done disc based versions, why not try something different.

People can download HD and try Wipeout without a £40 or $60 commitment, if they like it, they can now get Fury, total price is still less than a disc based game - inital release £15 plus £8 for DLC... £23... without naming names I can think of other games I'vebought for more that offered less.
That can not be a bad thing giving that choice. Also by making it download only as we did, it hopefully, encouraged people who had dared to go online to buy it, to also go online to play it, which is personally, and yes its selfish, but personally that is what I want, because no matter how much work is done on AI etc, there is nothing quite like playing against friends and with other people.

Also the idea had we done it blu-ray from the off with all the content it would have arrived earlier, I dont think it would, things still take time and resource.

As a developer, the download model game us the opportunity to push the PSN, pushmultiplayer gaming, and test out some things, as a gamers player it gives choice allows for tweaks that wouldnt otherwise happen and gives a ceaper initial investment to trying something.
I appreciate those factors are not for everyone, but for me personally (and the decision is by no means mine I'm just a cog in a bigger machine) I think thats pretty cool

PLazarou
18th July 2009, 07:06 PM
Hmmm. Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed response. :)

I find two of your statements particularly surprising - that you wouldn't have included Eliminator had it been a Blu-Ray release from the start, and that you don't think this level of content would have arrived sooner had you done it the traditional way.

Now that I've been sufficiently corrected, I am thankful that you chose to do it this way - the thought of no Eliminator is deeply upsetting! :o

Z_Zoquis
18th July 2009, 07:06 PM
Afaic, DLC is the way of the future and I don't mind a bit. I have no real need whatsoever to have my house cluttered up with game packaging. I don't miss the plastic containers and pretty cover pics for any of the download games I've purchased and not having to worry about my kids destroying the discs is a bonus. I'd expect it won't be many console generations before downloading is the primary means for getting the games.

I also don't mind at all having been able to enjoy Wipeout HD for the past 6 or 8 months while they worked on FURY. Frankly, I don't think HD is that much "smaller" than a full game release anyway. Sure, you could argue that eight tracks is a little light but theres full games that don't offer more than that - the original Motorstorm for one.

Obviously though, if you happen to be philosophically opposed to DLC in general, you're not likely to see the "bright side" of the coin in this case...

leungbok
18th July 2009, 07:12 PM
Wipeout HDs initial release perhaps had less features than we would have had had we decided to do a blu-ray, but it also gave us freedom to react to opinion. We never thought people would miss eliminator for example, yet they did, and thus we brought it back with Fury. Had we just done a one hit blu-ray, eliminator would not have been there.

People miss online time trial atm !! :P

_Rubbernuke_
18th July 2009, 07:16 PM
When my PS3s blu ray packed up the only PS3 nourishment I had was downloadable games- Wipeout as a download literally saved my sanity!! Plus it means (being the lazy git I am) I dont have to keep on putting a disc into my PS3 when I want to play...

Asayyeah
18th July 2009, 07:29 PM
Great news Colin & Paul :hyper
Can't wait to DL it yihaaaaa :banzai

IH8YOU
18th July 2009, 07:42 PM
I'm content with Wipeout on PSN - but even I desire something tangible - I'm not sure about others, but I've got a couple totes in my basement that contain my consoles of yesteryear. There's nothing quite like opening up one of these old boxes, and thumbing through the original Wipeout (inside a long case, no less) and playing it up. That's the downside with download only - should my drive fail, or become corrupt 10 years from now - or should PSN fall through - what then? I'm still able to play all my other games - even my NES stuff still works *knocks on wood*.

While the game is there - an element is missing with just data on a platter - the box, artwork, manual and disc itself bring something that my Western Digital cannot.

It's like the difference between commuting via city bus to get to work, or your own motorcycle - they both accomplish the task, but one has more feeling to it.

Then again... I am nuckin futz...

DawnFireDragoon
18th July 2009, 07:57 PM
HD was a bargain and Fury is definitely a bargain, shame the hardware required is so expensive!!!!

i will give my mate a tenner and tell him to download it.

one day ps3, one day, you will be mine (and resonably priced)

also, that was an interesting read Colin, just out of curiosity was HD always going to be PSN or was it Blu-Ray early in development? And have HD sales been good on PSN? i always wonder how/if the digital only thing really effects things like that much, seen as so many people are online these days.

Colin Berry
18th July 2009, 08:04 PM
Hmmm. Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed response. :)

I find two of your statements particularly surprising - that you wouldn't have included Eliminator had it been a Blu-Ray release from the start, and that you don't think this level of content would have arrived sooner had you done it the traditional way.

Now that I've been sufficiently corrected, I am thankful that you chose to do it this way - the thought of no Eliminator is deeply upsetting! :o

Eliminator went in Fury because we saw people expressing a desire for it once we released HD, we wouldnt have seen people missing it without and initial release and would likely have tried something else, I probably cant say for 100% it wouldnt have been there, but I'd say the chances are it wouldnt. the fact when we released HD people expressed a desire for it in reviews and on forums made us rethink and rework it for inclusion in fury.

The delivery method does not really affect how long the content takes to create, the levels / art work etc, still take time. The only way to deliver earlier would have been to have put more poeple on the project, something we werent in a position to do. Plus there are little things such as blu-rays take longer to get out from master sub to release (with download there are no discs to press etc), maybe only a month or 6 weeks more, but it would all have added up.

Edit - HD was always intended as a download PSN title

KIGO1987
18th July 2009, 08:19 PM
Eliminator went in Fury because we saw people expressing a desire for it once we released HD,

Must of been that pleasant request PM i sent to Paul ages ago that made the difference of the addition of Eliminator:) Im happy that it is included:)

diddymal
19th July 2009, 05:06 AM
Eliminator is an awesome game mode, I can't imagine why it was originally going to be excluded :?

RedScar
19th July 2009, 06:28 AM
I enjoy WOHD hugely, and while the downloadable only tag was hard to swallow at first, it shows just how well the system can work. PSN is the closest
thing to how DLC should be done as of yet, and I also am invovling steam in my comparison. The main issue plaguing steam is the many issues it has with
compatibility. Example is the possible incompatibility between a steam version of the game and a non-steam version of a game to name one.

What I think sets WOHD apart from other game which are DL or have DLC is that it truly is a deal to buying it online. Many gamers dislike DLC since
most developers use it to release "extra" content at a price even when that content should have been in the game to begin with. Examples of this
include Soul Calibre with "buying" yoda when he is actually already on the disc and you are only paying to unlock him, and the Resident Evil MP option.
DLC is being abused buy the big names, and embraced by the small ones (not that SL is small), with Q-Games (Pixel Junkie) and other companies releasing quality
games that people are willing to buy. I am looking forward to Titan Studio's new game Fat Princess, another PSN only (least I think it is) game.
It looks full of content, has all the piece of a full borne disc game (actually more then some of my disc games), but at the same time not abusing
the price point.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Games/Fat_Princess (if u are interested/confused)

I can't wait for fury and the price point of $15Can almost feels like im stealing when I look at a $70 game with least content. SL needs to go and slap the
gaming press for giving it the cold shoulder and get its self in the spot light for once since it deserves it for the quality of a game it has produced.

KIGO1987
19th July 2009, 10:19 AM
Eliminator is an awesome game mode, I can't imagine why it was originally going to be excluded :?

It nearly was to become a online feature in Pulse. But never came to be. Awesome feature in Pulse, love it.

OBH
19th July 2009, 12:16 PM
Anyone who still hasnt been convinced HD + Fury is a bargain will be eating your words soon enough.

Maybe instead you should go spend your money on 2 Killzone 2 maps for £5. No no weapons, not even "new maps" as such, just ripped totally from a single player mission.

Now theres a "bargain".

jimsin
19th July 2009, 12:28 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Wipeout HD is actually saving me lots of money becuase every time I think about buying another game, I decide against it because I want to master Wipeout HD first.

I'm hugely excited about Wipeout Fury, but would still be happy with HD for months to come - to get that much value from a game is pretty much priceless.

diddymal
19th July 2009, 03:39 PM
Anyone who still hasnt been convinced HD + Fury is a bargain will be eating your words soon enough.

Maybe instead you should go spend your money on 2 Killzone 2 maps for £5. No no weapons, not even "new maps" as such, just ripped totally from a single player mission.

Now theres a "bargain".

You'd have to be a chump to buy that game anyway, it sucks pretty bad. I bought it, still pretty bitter about that.

XBARNSTERX
19th July 2009, 04:30 PM
8 quid , worth it just for the new tracks without the modes or ships. without the tracks i don't think i would of been as much interested (as much as i love this game) I mean at least were not paying a fiver for new ship skins which doesnt add much to the game really. Take dead space , this game had some of the most pointless add ons, like the one for new guns skins . Whats the point as it doesnt change the game at all. My point being we have new tracks to get blown up on, rather than seeing our new ships needing new paint jobs. I'd Ilike to thank SL for providing me with hours of fun and the many more to come with Fury;)

YouAreFubar
19th July 2009, 11:01 PM
@ diddymal, how can you say that about KZ2? I really enjoyed that game! The campaign was solid, kept your interest and the intensity all the way through and was very satisfying. The online mode is very well thought out and great fun too (if a little hard)! Its a tactical shooter, not your normal run 'n' gun FPS and for me that made it all the more interesting.

diddymal
20th July 2009, 03:34 AM
I think it's because I've played heaps of CoD4, the aiming and guns just felt really clunky in comparison. Plus it was annoying emptying a whole magazine into an enemy and not kill them. -4/10

Darkdrium777
20th July 2009, 03:43 AM
Colonel Radec is a pretty cool guy, eh takes 32 shotgun blasts and three assault rifle clips to the chest and doesn't afraid of anything :D

/offtopic.

Checked this out the other day on PSP at an internet cafe but didn't post (It's a PSP... :|), thanks for the news though I had hoped it would have already been released. It would have diluted a bit of the feeling left by 1.5 weeks of rain, rain, rain and more rain... :(

I don't think it's necessary that I state it as you probably already know, but you have my ten bux. ;)

OBH
20th July 2009, 04:20 PM
@YouAreFubar
Game was decent. Addon is a total rip-off.

Amorbis
20th July 2009, 05:42 PM
Killzone 2 was a good game, it did everything right as an FPS with a good single player campaign and fun mulitplayer. It didn't do anything new but what it did do was great. The only let down is the DLC, I'm not paying nearly £5 for two maps. The next map pack sounds better value with adding new guns but I doubt I'll buy it, especially when it comes out on the same day as Fury. Unlucky timing for Guerilla and Studio Liverpool since I'm sure some people might be split over the purchase.

Anyway, tomorrow is patch day! Early excitement for something better on Thursday.

tileon
20th July 2009, 06:53 PM
what's best about it is not having to WAIT for the game to update right after thursday's purchase. Terrible news is I'll have to wait for the american store update...

Not that I wanted it, but I bought my copy of the game on the US store. It has been a recurring problem on PSN to have perfectly functional accounts and credit cards get blocked for no reason.

It happened last year the day wipeout hd was released. I had to create an american account and buy the game from it.

I also discovered that buying every game on this foreign store was 30% cheaper and was 100% compatible with euro accounts and trophies... sorry SL.

YouAreFubar
20th July 2009, 07:22 PM
@YouAreFubar
Game was decent. Addon is a total rip-off.
Agreed about the DLC, it seems to be the norm for FPS these days though. And @ diddy, the game was meant to feel more realistic to set it apart from the usual FPS fare. But thats not for everyone and obviously didnt float your boat.

Lance
20th July 2009, 07:29 PM
You should start a separate Killzone discussion thread rather than hijack this thread.

Sideshow
21st July 2009, 01:02 PM
Aw c'mon, don't you see the irony in this thread being hijacked? :P

dobyblue
21st July 2009, 01:48 PM
errrr baaaad timing for me. Gah release date in the middle of my holidays, I'll have to wait one more week before enjoying my beloved tech de ra and the rest of this fantastic dlc. Long life SL!

Tell me about it - my 1st wedding anniversary is July 25th, THIS WEEK-END, and my wife already hates how much I love to play WOHD.

:(

Looks like most of you guys will get a week-end's head start on me.

silverfoxy
21st July 2009, 02:18 PM
**Touches Wood**

So far, since the update notice BRs have been noticeably better for me, virtually flawless.

Please let this continue

Rapier Racer
21st July 2009, 02:31 PM
Is there something to download? I ain't getting squat.

Hellfire_WZ
21st July 2009, 02:32 PM
They did this before, the update was announced a good few hours before it was made available. It'll probably be up later this evening.

As Heaven Is Wide
21st July 2009, 03:21 PM
I saw the features list for version 2.0 pop up and got all excited. Not yet, still 1.40. Online did seem smoother though.

silverfoxy
21st July 2009, 03:23 PM
Whats this German flag next to people over rank 50 as well.

Says rank conqueror on the online rank record thing

Hemicrania
21st July 2009, 03:56 PM
erm...it also says fury is available for download NOW! :? Cant see anything in the store though...

diddymal
21st July 2009, 04:08 PM
So is Fury going to be released simultaneouslyworldwide, or will it be staggered like most other games? I'm going to be super pissed if I have to wait any longer.

Hemicrania
21st July 2009, 04:23 PM
we will have to see, I think we will know in a few hours or so (my guess 2)

Darkdrium777
21st July 2009, 04:26 PM
Update 2 is out now, get your DSL connections warmed up: 109 MB.

"WipEout HD V2.00 update - New Features.

The latest update for WipEout HD brings the following new functionality.
We have added a brand new Statistics section to help you keep track of everything, from the number of gold medals you have to the total distance you have travelled. You can find this in the EXTRAS - OPTIONS screen. Most of the statistics will work retroactively and accurately display your achievements to date, however some will not and will only start counting from now.
We have reworked the ship and track select screens with a more coherent design. It should make selecting your desired track and team quicker and it clearly displays the tracks and ships you have yet to unlock.
New Community functionality has been added to make it easier to play with friends online. Hit select anywhere in game to check out where in the game your friends are and send them a nudge to play online. Accepting a nudge will automatically add you to an online game lobby so you'[re ready to play with the minimum of fuss.
We have also made several small improvements to both single player and online gameplay."

Hah, there's no way I took 39653 photos, I think there's a small error there :P
Platinum skins look like ass in the menu, but they're fine in the game.
Be careful, the update resets your control scheme.

Hemicrania
21st July 2009, 04:48 PM
and it still says the fury has been released.... weird, will it come this evening?

tileon
21st July 2009, 04:53 PM
it's... so cool!

bleh.

Want the actual update! Can't waiiiiit.

EDIT: Oh but now I know just how many of your asses I'm short for the silver 50 online frag trophy!

Reezy
21st July 2009, 04:53 PM
Uh oh, crashed 2/2 times when trying to play online :( :( :(
Once at the joining game screen, and again when the ship select screen came up (only half loaded).

Darkdrium777
21st July 2009, 04:55 PM
Ha, no more boost select boost it is.
I'm checking right now for that Sebenco thing we talked about Paul, then it's off to Zone mode.

EDIT: Okay, the Sebenco one is still there :'( Please fix it, it's not fair if I can beat Wotan this easily.

DrMannevond
21st July 2009, 04:55 PM
Just had my first online race with the new patch. This is what happened :

Raced one other guy on Chenghou P. fwd, and he was sitting at the mouth of the tunnel the entire race, and he won!
I then quit to the lobby, but I was still hosting apparently, and when I tried joining my own race my PS3 froze...
And this was the FIRST time I played with the patch. So, basically - three errors in the first five minutes of the new patch...:eek

silverfoxy
21st July 2009, 05:03 PM
Loving the stats, some of mine are hilarious.

Not sure about the online menus, a lot were saying the race were 0 laps. Just joined a friend instead and had no probs so far in races.

Seen a new badge as well - most accurate. Sure there are lots more as well.

They haven't fixed the AP zone scores tho. Poor.

okam
21st July 2009, 05:05 PM
I can't even DL the patch - stuck on 0% for a few minutes then a generic error message... 3 times now. Hopefully just launch issues, will try again later this evening. Very curious about the stats screen (and also how to get the stats related trophy...).

EDIT: They removed BSB on some tracks? If so, why some and not all...
EDIT2: Yay it's downloading! 1% in and 120 minutes left!... and no background download... waaaaa....

BARTgai
21st July 2009, 05:08 PM
Seems this update did more harm than good. Just going to the online lobby I saw multiple bugs.

Picture I took for reference (http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm260/BARTgai/errors.jpg)

Haven't tried joining a game yet, but from what people are saying I might hold off until it's fixed. :?

OBH
21st July 2009, 05:11 PM
Oh dear. Doesnt sound good.

If theyve taken away boost / select / boost what will they do about times?? Cant leave the ones already there that used it, and just let no-one use it from now on surely......

What extra stats are you guys talking about?

breadhead
21st July 2009, 05:12 PM
So far I have tried two speed lap sessions and each time I have tried to end session my PS3 has just frozen :?

Barrel Rolls seemed to be very easy to do though, could just be wishful thinking!

okam
21st July 2009, 05:13 PM
Ouch, that screen looks a right mess... maybe I should cancel the patch, and/or prepare for a patching of the patch ^^ That can't be right.

micky1984
21st July 2009, 05:16 PM
iv had to game freezes so far one during the race and one just after when it was saving:eek to early to tell if its patch related but ill keep u posted

NeilSmith
21st July 2009, 05:25 PM
My initial thoughts and discoveries with the patch;

1. Stats - Exactly what we've been asking for, I love them! ;) Some stats are a bit hard to distinguish from as their color code is hard to compare. The "Photos Took" stats must be bugged, I have only taken 7-8 photos, yet my stats tell me I have taken over 800 photos. And last, the stats for each individual track should have the track names underneath their icons\logos.

2. Community Feature - Great stuff, easy to access plus nice to be able to see what people are playing\doing.

3. Speed Lap reset - Since the select button is now mapped to the "Community Feature" you have to press and hold L1 for 2-3 seconds for the Lap to reset and gain a new turbo. However, since there is a slight delay before you get a new turbo the tactics for using the old Boost Select Boost function has lost some of it's function. I believe some of the records that were done pre-2.00patch is now impossible to do any longer. I believe either a records-cleanup or wipe is the only fair option. Or atleast have some way of distinguishing between which method was used to aquire the score\record.

4. Barrell Rolls - Seems to be easier to do now. More testing is required.

5. Game Lobby - Great changes to the system. Easier to see which races are in progress and which races are open. I experienced a crash when browsing to the bottom of the lobby but apart from that everything looks dandy fine.

So far so good, Studio Liverpool seems to be doing us all a huge favour in delivering all the stuff we have been wishing\requesting for :) I'll update the post with more stuff in the next 2 days

Darkdrium777
21st July 2009, 05:29 PM
Paul I must ask a personal favor: delete my 21.24 time with Icaras on Sebenco Reverse, if/when it shows up. Thanks. (I inadvertently saved, sorry guys :()

Thanks for telling the reset boost Neil :)

I've had one freeze as it was loading up the badge section and I was chatting with Luxoflux. Other than that, no real troubles yet.

Nunalho
21st July 2009, 05:33 PM
According to the stats i have taken 16589 photos... :clap

Lol.

Also i dont understand how can i have only 52 or so races... i ve played for 74hrs.

Noticed they ve changed the pick up icons for when you use 2097 or W3 Hud, good job!

Overall great update, good work.

Paul Tweedle
21st July 2009, 05:33 PM
Seems this update did more harm than good. Just going to the online lobby I saw multiple bugs.

Picture I took for reference (http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm260/BARTgai/errors.jpg)

Haven't tried joining a game yet, but from what people are saying I might hold off until it's fixed. :?

That issue was caused by some people still playing the game since before the update went live. If they quit the game and install the patch this will go away. In short, in a few hours no one will see this again.

Thanks,

Paul.

Darkdrium777
21st July 2009, 05:35 PM
Unless I am doing something wrong: ZONE GLITCH IS FIXED!
I am using your method ProblemSolver, the one you explained to me in PM, and it deals damage when you do what you must do for the glitch, 1 time out of 2 times. I haven't tried the one from the video that was posted on the internet, as that seemed pretty random... Hopefully everything is fixed.

micky1984
21st July 2009, 05:35 PM
barrel roles are deffinetly better :) also im not sure if it is because i havnt played in a while but phantom kinda seems faster to me or this could be a side effect of the controls being more responsive.

BARTgai
21st July 2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Paul! :)

Paul Tweedle
21st July 2009, 05:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I can confirm the following fixes and / or improvements;

The Anulpha Pass Zone "glitch" is, indeed, fixed. The tables will be sorted out at some point after the release of Fury. Basically as soon as we can.

The barrel roll code has been reworked so they should now be more consistent (some of you have noticed this already). Perhaps we'll see some new records?

The problem causing what you guys call "Vista pads" has been fixed so these shouldn't happen anymore.

As mentioned in a previous post - the people who had problems logging in should now be fine (this was fixed a few weeks ago server side).

We have improved the online game list a lot so you can now see, at a glance, which games are in progress and even how far through they are.

I think that's the lot but I have a list at work (I'm at home now - that's how dedicated I am :nod ) so I'll double check it tomorrow in case I've missed some off.

Hope you're all super happy with the update and I hope you all buy Fury on Thursday!

See you on the track,

Paul.

Rapier Racer
21st July 2009, 05:46 PM
The only disaster so far was when I went straight into an online game not realizing that this patch had reset my control setup, theres me hammering for a sideshift on Sol 2 Reverse and getting nothing but look back!! Disaster I say!!

Vista pads gone? Excellent!

NeilSmith
21st July 2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the update\list of changes Paul. It's is very satisfacting to know all the stuff has been fixed. Hopefully ProblemSolver will stop bitching now ;)

Darkdrium777
21st July 2009, 05:49 PM
See you on the trackSpeaking of which, any chance you can play online yourself? :p

Paul Tweedle
21st July 2009, 05:51 PM
Speaking of which, any chance you can play online yourself? :p

I'm online now...

Colin Berry
Paul can play online, but he is rubbish, he is even worse than he is at Pro Evo

muhahahahahhahahahahahaaa

Paul Tweedle
Paul can play online, but he is rubbish, he is even worse than he is at Pro Evo

muhahahahahhahahahahahaaa

Damn your eyes, Berry! Who's 23 points clear in the league eh? ME! That's who!

YouAreFubar
21st July 2009, 05:52 PM
This all looks very promising, ill have to try and download it in a bit when I get a chance to and test it out. Ill be very happy if the BRs are sorted out! Roll on Thursday! :rock

Hellfire_WZ
21st July 2009, 05:52 PM
I'm having serious issues with this patch. Speed Lap mode is f*cked, every time I end a session the system locks up. I've just tried to quit the game and have had to switch off the PS3 at the back.

Hemicrania
21st July 2009, 05:53 PM
Paul, whats with the "Fury is available now"? :)

silverfoxy
21st July 2009, 05:53 PM
Great work guys, BRs for sure are so much more responsive than they were. I'd noticed that from about 2-30 this afternoon.

Loving the stats screens, I'm always up for info like this.

Great work and thanks for listening

Light
21st July 2009, 05:55 PM
I like the DLC that is coming next thursday.

I really like the new interface design.

One problem though, i've got a PSP with Wipeout Pure & Pulse on it.

But on those versions there are weather effects like snow, rain, etc...

How come those weren't included in the HD version?

Was it because of the 60 framerate target?

Also a Night/Day Toggle would be nice =)

Greetings

Light21M

Paul Tweedle
21st July 2009, 05:56 PM
I'm having serious issues with this patch. Speed Lap mode is f*cked, every time I end a session the system locks up. I've just tried to quit the game and have had to switch off the PS3 at the back.

I'm not getting either of those issues, Hellfire. Do you have any more details?

Paul.

Paul Tweedle
21st July 2009, 05:57 PM
Great work guys, BRs for sure are so much more responsive than they were. I'd noticed that from about 2-30 this afternoon.

It was a code fix in the update, so this afternoon's improvement was nothing to do with us...

Paul.

Rapier Racer
21st July 2009, 05:58 PM
I like that little in game advertisement for Fury I saw popping up during the loading screen for an online game! Cool. You are online Paul? What class are you racing at?

Paul Tweedle
21st July 2009, 05:59 PM
How come those [weather] weren't included in the HD version?

Also a Night/Day Toggle would be nice =)

Greetings

Light21M

Hi Light32M,

Not too sure about the weather. I'll ask around tomorrow...

As for the night/day, wouldn't that be SWEET! Alas, it's not possible with the current lighting solution. We do have some nightime action in Fury though...

Paul.

Light
21st July 2009, 06:00 PM
Hi Light32M,

Not too sure about the weather. I'll ask around tomorrow...

As for the night/day, wouldn't that be SWEET! Alas, it's not possible with the current lighting solution. We do have some nightime action in Fury though...

Paul.

nice!

Paul Tweedle
21st July 2009, 06:02 PM
I like that little in game advertisement for Fury I saw popping up during the loading screen for an online game! Cool. You are online Paul? What class are you racing at?

I'm dipping in and out to reply here. I race at anything but Phantom- I'm not good enough for that... yet! I keep practising.

Paul.

Light
21st July 2009, 06:04 PM
Also i've got an another idea for Wipeout, --> RPG elements

For example, wouldn't it be sweet after getting enough kills in eliminator to transform your wipeout vehicle to something über ?

For example, getting a stronger shield/boostpack during the race, while this happens you see the ship getting extra plates or engines.

Also something i would want to ask, when you watch online races of other people, the ships seem to stutter?

can that be fixed or is this already fixed?

Just an idea though for the RPG thing :)

TheFrostE
21st July 2009, 06:05 PM
platinum skins are now black!?! very sleek ^_^

Hemicrania
but...the fury not tonight Paul? ;) hehehe. Looks like were gonna have to wait 2 days. The new update will keep me warm though.

Hellfire_WZ
Well the quitting thing seems to have been a one-off, but everytime I see my results for a speed lap session and then press X to advance, the game locks up.

SaturnReturn
21st July 2009, 06:07 PM
Just out of curiosity and in no way a complaint or anything like that (honest :))...Has anything been done, or is anything in the works to fix the glitches with ghosts in Time Trial and Speed Lap? They often show the wrong ship, display a random slow ghost, or the ghost skips ahead and then behind again. It would be nice if that could be fixed once the guys at SL have taken a holiday (if it's not already in the works)

That aside, the stats do look fun, but I'm very afraid that they are going to make my addiction to this game a bit too apparent. The fixes for barrel rolls and vista pads will be great too. :rock Hopefully the problems reported by Hellfire and Co aren't anything that can't be sorted easily. If that's the case then it should be a good update all round.

It's a shame we can't do bsb any more as it's kind of fun, even if you're like me and can't do it succesfully, there's no other way to fly that high and it's a cool feeling. But if it's thought that it shouldn't have been possible in the first place it's understandable that it's removed. It will be very difficult to clean up those records as on some tracks people will have used it to improve times but won't necessarily have got them a top rank and so it won't be as obvious. I wouldn't like to see a complete record wipe as someone suggested might happen. That would be heart breaking. It's a tricky one that.

Paul Tweedle
21st July 2009, 06:10 PM
but...the fury not tonight Paul? ;) hehehe. Looks like were gonna have to wait 2 days. The new update will keep me warm though.

Yeah when we wrote the announcement we thought the update would be out the same day as Fury.

A thousand humble apologies.

Paul.

Paul Tweedle
21st July 2009, 06:11 PM
Well the quitting thing seems to have been a one-off, but everytime I see my results for a speed lap session and then press X to advance, the game locks up.

Again I'm not getting that. Will have the team look into it tomorrow.

Are you finishing the event? Which track? What class? The more details the easier it will be to chase down.

Anyone else seeing this?

Paul.

NeilSmith
21st July 2009, 06:12 PM
Has collision impact been changed since the 2.00 patch? In my first race I started at the back and got a boost-start. Flew right into the guy in front of me and my AG-Systems came to a complete halt. Throughout the race I found the same thing to happen several places, every time I hit someone in the back I slowed down tremendously. It could just be that I was unlucky or imagining things :)

Btw, I love the new Game Lobby. I believe some of the stuff I suggested was implemented, thanks alot! ;)

Hellfire_WZ
21st July 2009, 06:18 PM
Again I'm not getting that. Will have the team look into it tomorrow.

Are you finishing the event? Which track? What class? The more details the easier it will be to chase down.

Anyone else seeing this?

Paul.

I'm completing a few laps before ending the session, although the last one I did the game registered the first lap time as over 10 minutes. This is on Phantom Class, and it's happened on a variety of tracks. Crashes every time though. So far all other modes are okay, haven't tried Time Trial yet.

Hemicrania
21st July 2009, 06:19 PM
Yeah when we wrote the announcement we thought the update would be out the same day as Fury.

A thousand humble apologies.

Paul.

well I guess I can wait another 2 days for my Booty Call...:brickwall ;)

ps : she loves the new interface...I might get lucky tonight :lol

Darkdrium777
21st July 2009, 06:21 PM
The campaign thumbnails have lost their "vividness", don't know how to explain. They all appear greyed out, same with the Platinum skins of the ships. Doesn't look so good imo.

With the new boost reset method you're effectively preventing me from flying out of Vineta-K, so that's good :)

For the times moderation job you will want to do later on, may I suggest adding a way for users to delete their own times from the leaderboards, and resynch with the server after? I have a few times I wish to delete myself, the latest being my Icaras glitched time on Sebenco Reverse (Again I'm sorry I didn't want to save it :()

Also please look into the SuperZen track skin, there is some mip map error I believe, it's already been pointed out by ProblemSolver. It appears the equalizer in front of the ship is of a different colour than the black surface of the track. You can see it on Anulpha Pass forward when you reach Zone 42.

Checking out the HUDs, someone said they were changed...

PLazarou
21st July 2009, 06:27 PM
Loving the stats! Amazing they were being counted all this time! I wonder why it was missed off in the first place...

Anyway, after that I went online to the lobby list, love the new progress bar on the races in progress - little touches like this are much appreciated!

However, I was just scrolling down the lobby list, and it froze. Full lock-up, couldn't bring up the Quit Game or anything. Hope it was a one-off!

SaturnReturn
21st July 2009, 06:27 PM
I'm completing a few laps before ending the session, although the last one I did the game registered the first lap time as over 10 minutes. This is on Phantom Class, and it's happened on a variety of tracks. Crashes every time though. So far all other modes are okay, haven't tried Time Trial yet.

Is the over 10 minutes thing on a straight forward lap or did you reset the boost? That, or something similar, happens when you reset the boost I believe.

TheFrostE
21st July 2009, 06:28 PM
somewhere in France leungbok and pirhapac have just shed tears for BSB :beer

Hellfire_WZ
21st July 2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah you're right, it happens when you invalidate a lap. Forgot I'd done that

Never mind Paul, all seems to be well now :)

SaturnReturn
21st July 2009, 06:30 PM
Awesome! With that news, I'll update :D

FrostE - Check out the videos thread, Pirahpac managed to sneak one in early today, cheeky fella. I bet that will stay too dammit.

BARTgai
21st July 2009, 06:32 PM
However, I was just scrolling down the lobby list, and it froze. Full lock-up, couldn't bring up the Quit Game or anything. Hope it was a one-off!

That just happened to me as well.

Hemicrania
21st July 2009, 06:43 PM
speedlap single player flash(ubermall-vertigo), no ghosts on track....hangs after finish and trying to return to menu, music keeps playing though..

Darkdrium777
21st July 2009, 06:48 PM
Feedback: the game lags tremendously when a ship is eliminated. This wont be fun for Eliminator :(
But I saw that other ships catch fire now too. I think the flame effect has detail reduced though, but I'm not certain.

Hemicrania
21st July 2009, 06:55 PM
speedlap single player venom(metropia-vertigo), no ghosts on track....hangs after finish and trying to return to menu, music keeps playing though..

im done playing speedlaps this evening hehe

Hellfire_WZ
21st July 2009, 06:56 PM
That's exactly the issue I was having. Seems to have stopped for me now so hopefully it's a temporary problem

Paul Tweedle
21st July 2009, 07:11 PM
speedlap single player venom(metropia-vertigo), no ghosts on track....hangs after finish and trying to return to menu, music keeps playing though..

im done playing speedlaps this evening hehe

Please check that your Ghost Ships Visible option is set to ON. Mine was set to OFF which may be an issue with the update because I'm sure they were ON...

I'll keep an eye on the Speed Lap return to menus hang but I'm really not getting it. We'll look into it tomorrow.

Thanks,

Paul.

stever
21st July 2009, 07:23 PM
The update definitely turned my ghosts option off as I know it was on before the update. No hangs for me though.

My only negative comment about the update is that the turquoise text on the grey background of the meltdown campaign grid screen (may apply to the others too but I haven't looked) is really difficult to read because of the lack of contrast with the new dark grey background.

Otherwise an excellent update baed on the few quick goes I've had - roll on the Fury release.

Paul Tweedle
21st July 2009, 07:28 PM
What do you all think of the new ship and track select screens?

Paul.

Hemicrania
21st July 2009, 07:28 PM
Please check that your Ghost Ships Visible option is set to ON. Mine was set to OFF which may be an issue with the update because I'm sure they were ON...

I'll keep an eye on the Speed Lap return to menus hang but I'm really not getting it. We'll look into it tomorrow.

Thanks,

Paul.

yup they were off, weird though cous I was getting them at timetrails. Ill report back later if it helped yes or no.

Report : To everybody having the speedlap problem. Turn on yer ghostships in gamemenu, it should solve the problem. It did with me anyway.

To paul : love everything, online has really gotten the graphic boost it needed. Good stuff m8.

Darkdrium777
21st July 2009, 07:36 PM

Paul.They are definitively better, except for the ship part where like I said the platinum skins look bad and not "platinumy" (I just made that up)
I laughed when I saw that the reverse track selection had the 3D model rotating the other way.
The only thing is I wish the switching between tracks on the track selection was as fast as when you are switching ships.
The fact that the menu loops on itself is good too, don't know if it could do that before (I think not)

So fix the dull platinum ship skins (as well as the dull campaign thumbnails which seem to suffer from the same problem) and the load times and it would be perfect.

Of course that's if you can fix it, the dull ships I think so but not sure about the tracks as it always has been this slow afaik.

mic-dk
21st July 2009, 07:37 PM

To be perfectly honest I liked the old ones better... Sorry :)

But I'll live with them :) BRs seem much more consistent, and the like the community feature a lot. And the stats of course!

okam
21st July 2009, 07:38 PM
My ghosts were still ON after the patch, as they were before. Cant see that any settings have reverted back or changed since the patch...

Also I just got the freeze on the lobby screen. Had to turn off the PS3 with the button on the backside. If it helps, here's what I did before the freeze:

I started the game for the first time after DLing the patch - checked that my options were allright - went and looked at the way cool statistics screen (and cried a little upon seeing my win/loss ratio online) - went online - clicked Join Game - started scrolling down the list and it froze just as I reached the last visible listing on the screen (I could see from the scroll bar that there were plenty more races in the list).

Paul Tweedle
21st July 2009, 07:45 PM
as well as the dull campaign thumbnails which seem to suffer from the same problem) .

What do you mean by "campaign thumbnails"?

Paul.

stever
21st July 2009, 07:52 PM
I really like the new track select grid: putting the reverse tracks below the forward tracks makes it much clearer when you're selecting a reverse track. Before the update there were a good few occasions when I accidentally selected a reverse track when I thought I was selecting a forward track

Hemicrania
21st July 2009, 07:56 PM
the speedlap problem is def. solved Paul, no more hangups.

Paul Tweedle
21st July 2009, 07:57 PM
the speedlap problem is def. solved Paul, no more hangups.

Really? By turning Ghosts back on?

Weird. I think we'll check into this one a bit further though.

Thanks for letting me know,

Paul.

Hemicrania
21st July 2009, 08:00 PM
yup ghosts on, no more problems. At least in the single player, dont know about racebox.

Reezy
21st July 2009, 08:02 PM
I have same problem as Okam, game crashes when scrolling through the available races, and reaching the bottom.

Hemicrania
21st July 2009, 08:10 PM
online is overrated anyway m8...muhahahahha...stupid joke I know...paperbag of shame ON.... :paperbag

mic-dk
21st July 2009, 08:17 PM
I'm afraid the Vista pads are not completely gone. In a 8 player race I crossed several lit up pads, heard the little bell but no pickup appeared.

I guess the servers were groaning at that moment since everybody was trying out the patch, so I'll withhold final judgement on that :)

At least the permanently off pads are gone!