PDA

View Full Version : WipEout 2097/XL Soundtrack: best WipEout soundtrack ever?

XpanDrome2097
13th July 2009, 10:28 PM
YEAH! The soundtrack rules....i don't know nothing about US release, but the European version presents the most good electronic songs ever listened from T.F.S.O.L. ("Landmass" expecially), Prodigy ("Firestarter" instrumental), Chemical Brothers, Cold Storage, Daft Punk and others.
And now I've got the CD version, I've found it just today, in a little music store in my city at a very little price, and it represents the perfection!!!!
For me is the best WipEout soundtrack, what do you think about this?

BulletWraith
15th July 2009, 07:53 AM
I agree, I love it to bits, just got the XL version a few weeks ago, so lucky to get it here in NZ
actually I bought the Soundtrack to 2097 a few years before I ever got a PS2, it's what led me to buying wipEout2097 in the first place :D

FireStarter Instrumental +1
but the Atombomb version sucks, I much prefer it off the Gran Turismo Soundtrack or off the Fluke albums

-zer:donutshen

sny
15th July 2009, 07:43 PM
The track that plays under the demo of WO2097 (I think it's one of the 'The Future Sound of London' tracks) is stuck in my head to this very day, even though I haven't played the game or the demo in, like, a decade. Definitely a great soundtrack!

Lance
15th July 2009, 10:03 PM
We got an, AFAIK, somewhat different set of tracks here in North America, with some additional tracks by Tim Wright, hisself. :D I really like Landmass by FSOL, but I think I like Tim's soundtracks from WO1 the best.

G'Kyl
16th July 2009, 10:24 AM
Absolutely! They still amaze me, and they are holding up incredibly well against all of the later tracks when added to the Pulse/HD custom soundtracks.

Ben

XpanDrome2097
16th July 2009, 01:29 PM
I agree!
The Pure and Pulse soundtracks are very good (more Pure, less Pulse), but the soundtracks of the first two episodes are absolutely amazing ;).
What's your favourite tune from 2097/XL's soundtrack?
My favourite one is "Landmass".

komatos
16th July 2009, 03:05 PM
Tin There (favorite song in the entire series), then Landmass, Loops of Fury, We Have Explosive/Herd Killing, pretty much almost every track on the game/soundtrack.

G'Kyl
16th July 2009, 08:57 PM
Ah, yes, Tin There is pure awesomeness! :) I'm so glad HD finally lets me listen to the entire track while playing. I always missed that in earlier games, and particularly for this track.
Landmass would be my second favourite. For some reason, in my mind it has a strong connection to Sagar-Matha. I guess it's the chilliness that connects them.

Ben

KIGO1987
16th July 2009, 09:17 PM
2097 really set an extremely high bench mark in music genre in games. Even over a decade onwards its still recognized today for its brilliance, seriously the 1990s rocked, this decade has been utter ****, and to top it off at the end the decade the recession seriously isnt cool at all.

Fluke
Prodigy
Cold Storage
Chemical Brothers

It just rulled.

SpaceMunky
22nd July 2009, 09:00 PM
LOL well said.

IH8YOU
28th July 2009, 03:36 AM
ZOMG I ALSO associate Landmass with Sagar-Matha - I hear it, and those visuals just pop into my head.

Weird - that I have the same association.

I've locked Body In Motion to Gare'D Europa, for some reason. I can still see flying by the subway car - and into the tunnel as the thunder echoes throughout. *crack twitch*

Herd Killing (intro song I think?), Landmass, Tin There, Canada, even Loops of Fury.

Yes, that game had the most killer playlist to date.

I really hope they release it on PSN - because the audio is crap playing the original on my PS3 (cuts out or starts mid song - and the disc is mint) - if not for that, I'd play it to death.

Edit: Loops Of Fury is also great. One of my favorite tracks from that game. Did the US version get different music tracks than the PAL version? Because I noticed a lot of different songs on my disc than the playlist calls out. (which has PAL for the album cover art)

AG-wolf
28th July 2009, 04:04 AM
as absolutely awesome as the licensed tracks in XL/2097 were, you HAVE to give props to Tim Wright for his own full 2097 soundtrack.. it still has canada and body in motion, but you HAVE to listen to these other tracks sometime:

Kinkong
Plasticity
Hakapik Murder
Surgeon
Tenation

and the three remixes
Messij XTND
Messij RCVD
Body Plus

Messij RCVD is a second part of the forst "Messij" song from the original game, and Messij XTND is the whole 9 minute song from beginning to end. Body Plus is a really chill remix of Body in Motion :D

I used a few of them for my wipeout XL videos I put on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=31831EE2844702B1

G'Kyl
28th July 2009, 04:16 PM
I grew up playing the PC version, so I knew Tim's soundtrack by heart. :) I don't think it's as gripping as what he did for WO1, but it's still great to listen to! Btw: Anyone else thinks Tim's music sounds like he was trying to replicate the console licensed soundtrack in a way?

Ben

AG-wolf
29th July 2009, 04:30 AM
nah I didn't think he was trying to replicate it... at least his own tracks never felt similar to me anyway... Didn't he compose them before the licensed tracks were decided though?

Dr. Angryman
2nd August 2009, 05:00 AM
The XL soundtrack is not only great gaming music but it is also a great primer for most electronica. If you think you don't like "techno" this may change your taste.

Favorite tracks:

Daft Punk - Musique
Prodigy - Firestarter
Chemical Brothers - Loops of Fury
The Future Sound of London - We Have Explosive/Herd Killing

ARKALUM
10th August 2009, 01:43 PM
hey all

my first post

yep; best video game sound track i can think of.

now back to trying to work out how to add records

Lance
10th August 2009, 02:55 PM
Hi, ARK, welcome to the WZ. If you want to, introduce yourself in the "Pilot's Lounge" > http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Koleax
7th October 2009, 11:08 PM
Pretty close, if not.

I do think the voiceover is the best, though.

LurifaxFlux
26th October 2009, 12:04 AM
I like the W3O soundtrack way more, in fact I think it's the best of all the WO games, but thats just my taste ^^
I also think the WO1 soundtrack is better than XL, Tim's music is very "special" somehow.

WolfKill01
21st May 2010, 11:51 PM
I found the XL soundtrack at my local FYE. :o Needless to say, I overreacted right in the middle of the store and ran to the checkout desk full blast. I wouldn't nessecairly say it's the BEST wipeout soundtrack, but this cd is essential for any hardcore wipeout fan. Loving all the songs that weren't in the actual game like Daft Punk and Orbital. :D

UB3R~JKP
22nd May 2010, 02:21 AM
I hunted down the WipEout 2097 soundtrack too!
Prodigy are fantastic and the Firestarter "Instrumental" Ties with X-Project as my favourite WipEout Anthem!

Dan Locke
22nd May 2010, 05:14 AM
I actually copied it from the PC version, back when I still had it. Tim Wright's a genius.

Speaking of him, is anybody here familiar with his Amiga work? He did some great stuff on that platform.

Lensy Lohan
6th August 2010, 06:43 PM
-Dust Up Beats
This Chemical Brothers track has such a cool buildup a little past halfway through it, the part with just the beat & the bassline playing- Sick. It's the only song suitable for Piranha drives through Gare D'Europa. Gives me goosebumps.

-Landmass
It's a good song.

-WHE: Herd Killing
Specifically, the short mix/cut that plays during the game intro. It just sounds badass.

Favorite music from any WipEout game?

That would be "Icaras" by Sasha, WipEout 3. That's actually one of my favorite songs ever. :donut

quickbeam
13th October 2010, 07:34 PM
So, I get home from Trade a Game and pop the disc into my PS2. I wait a short while for everything to load. Then, to my amazement and pure delight, Prodigy's Firestarter begins to play at the title screen. I knew, right then, that this was going to be my kind of game.

WolfKill01
27th November 2010, 11:35 PM
WipEout XL got second place on X-Play's top 5 game soundtracks of all time.
:D. I just thought that was significant considering the age of the game and the countless number of games those guys go through. It made me feel all fuzzy inside ;).

F.E.I.S.A.R
28th November 2010, 11:25 AM
Was 2097/XL the one with Atom Bomb by Fluke? I saw the music video for that.I was quite curious about the "WipEout"-esque cartoon/animation.In fact,it looked like it was from F3600(WipEout):The anime!

Dexito2097
3rd December 2010, 06:46 PM
Yes it was. and it was awesome: Atom Bomb ( with no lyrics )

this song was later remixed and featured on the movie soundtrack inspired from another famous videogame... Tomb Raider.

But my favorite track from WOXL is not Atom Bomb...

It's Underworld - TIN THERE
It really makes me feel the speed when I'm racing on WO
I've even tried it while driving and actual car... ( it can be dangerous... hehehe )

Dan Locke
13th December 2010, 03:15 AM
"Body in Motion" is my favorite, although "Surgeon", "Tenation", and "Canada" come close.

Kyonshi
13th December 2010, 03:23 AM
Landmass is the ultimate and best WipEout related song ever, hands down. The atmosphere this song projects is what WipEout is all about. The aerial piano overture, the uplifting beat and bassline steadily pushing in a rush of speed on the tracks; after all those years, im still blown away by this track whenever i play XL. Timeless epic!

This is a true and eternal master piece just like FSOL knows how to do it! :D:+

bonjoF3600
20th January 2011, 09:57 PM
i trashed 2 mb quart speakers while playing wipeout , they couldn't handle "we have explosive" , that was my fav song that time and when i saw the trailer with that song i said " coin ups u are so DEAD ! "

i remember when i was asking for my friends to to play they were sayin nahh better sitting back and enjoy , it was the combination of direct cd playback along with the ease of "sony" to gather some reputable artists that brought to gamers a new lvl of gaming , a lvl that to my ears/eyes havent even got close by something else ( 3d tech now may have a chance in near future ), i remember when i was wondering " if i have that system capable of those things now ( 95-97 ) what will i have in 10 years? well ... my friend i have ps3 just for blue ray , only game i purchased is gta , i play mostly on pc,
14 years after i thank god , ps3 has psx emulator and i have A COPY OF WO 2097 !!! ( only bad thing is that im 30+ years old now and i care for police NOT knocking my door for warnings )

my 1st wo2097 copy was into my audio cd collection long before ps2 launch , 2097 along with loaded are two very good "car" cd's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMzCpy0fXc&ob=av2nm