PDA

View Full Version : wipeout pulse vs wipeout hd

Aeroracer
11th July 2009, 12:10 AM
wipeout pulse is much harder game to beat in campaign.
I am doing perfect laps on speed trails and still getting bronze cos i missed a few pads or dindnt cut it close enough to the corner. On hd you just need to finish the course to get gold it's that easy.

Oh btw wipeout pulse is cool

ACE-FLO
11th July 2009, 12:25 AM
Well, the general view around here is that Pulse is faster than HD, when comparing the Phantom speed class across both platforms. Also, Pulse has 12 tracks white/forward and 12 tracks black/reverse/alternate... I know HD has 8 tracks and a further 8 reversed.

So imo, Pulse would be harder to master, but would feel sweeter, nailing a perfect lap on phantom.

This is a pretty half arsed opinion as I don't have HD yet! but it's what I tell myself to make myself feel better coz I don't have HD...

stin
11th July 2009, 12:31 AM
Jasmin!, The difference between Pulse and HD, I will be brutal honest to you, HD is actually alot harder than Pulse by far BUT!, put Pulse and HD together, then Pure are far superier than the rest, if, you had played Pure?

Few guys would agreed with me! :) or maybe not!, but I do actually prefer to play Pure than the rest!

IMO!:banzai

stevie:)

leungbok
11th July 2009, 07:06 AM
I agree too, HD is harder... if... you can deal with the tiny screen and the poor psp paddle ;)

Jambo
11th July 2009, 07:22 AM
I feel HD is harder, AI is so aggressive on elite.

NightArh
11th July 2009, 07:38 AM
These games are made for different platforms. PS3 has the most powerful processor so developers had a good possibilities to realise AI behaviour they want. I think play with AI is much harder in HD (I didn't play HD yet so cannot say anything about it) One thing I can say AI in Pulse is very dull ;)

ACE-FLO
11th July 2009, 12:23 PM
Yeah, the AI on Pulse is slightly retarded. Even on Phantom lol. true, true, that's why I only play online lol...

DawnFireDragoon
11th July 2009, 07:30 PM
It took me longer to finish Pulse....whereas i seemed to breeze through most of HD, though if you crank up the AI difficulty, it is, as others have said, absolutely mental on HD. But, i have more experience with Pulse, as i myself do not yet own HD, so i can't say for definite. Just how it appeared after a couple of play through's on each.

And Pure is still amazing...i find it difficult to rank the games in any kind of preffered order, but Pure is up there. :)

Amorbis
11th July 2009, 08:19 PM
Pulse can be a difficult game at times, but then so can HD. I agree that Pulse feels a but faster than HD and the handling makes perfect laps/super fast laps less frequent. HD's physics I think allow for more precise piloting which is just as difficult to perfect as in Pulse. The AI in Pulse is 'dumber' usually, at least it is in eliminator. They're useless at eliminator, even on elite. No number of repulsors and quakes can save them ;).

I'm not really sure what I said there, it makes some sense to me though :lol. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it's almost unfair to compare them really as they're different games on different platforms.

GalacticSpartan
12th July 2009, 08:25 PM
The real diffrence would be the graphics, and I`m thinking on buying it since my bro got PS3 now. and I r back.

SaturnReturn
12th July 2009, 09:13 PM
I think Pulse is easier. I got through the campaign mode on Pulse very easily, whereas HD took me a few goes for certain events. Having said that, when I started at HD I was virtually a complete WipEout noob, whereas Pulse, which I picked up later, I had some experience of WipEout to help me along.

I agree Pulse feels faster though, and that Pure it hard as nails. A really difficult game that one.

ACE-FLO
14th July 2009, 11:59 AM
See? told you my opinion was pretty half arsed, not that anyone requested it though! lol

Need to get PS3 heh heh!

lunar
14th July 2009, 09:43 PM
put Pulse and HD together, then Pure are far superier than the rest, if, you had played Pure?

Agreed mate. Well, if Pure was played on a full size TV screen with a proper controller at least then I would rate it the best, in a million ways that I could bore everyone with by explaining them. :banzai

But that is kind of off topic. I find Pulse harder than HD, but I think this is mainly because of the small screen and that Pulse doesn`t tickle my adrenalin glands much, so I`ve never been very motivated to play it.

MrSmadSmartAlex
14th July 2009, 10:25 PM
I find HD way harder than Pulse, but that may just be lack of practice, combined with my obsession with Pulse:lol.
I can see why somebody might find them the other way round though - today, i played Pure for a while, and got quite into it, then when I switched to Pulse, it was impossible! It is indeed nothing like any other Wipeout game, but taken on it's own terms, it's my favourite.
HD is actually the hardest for me personally.:paperbag

btw - yes, Lunar, Pure is great on a bigger screen!;) I played it on my laptop monitor a few times, and it looks and plays really nice blown up like that.

Aeroracer
14th July 2009, 11:18 PM
A.I on HD is rubbish. The race just feels like and plays like a time trail. Do the race in a good time to win.Dont worry about the other racers, they dont do anything a real racer would, as they get weapons without using pads and get priority on collisions and get speed boosts whenever.Corner the same speed as they go down a straight in.

HD is the best wipeout game as its big screen, fast and good graphics.Pulse and pure only lose out cos they are PSP, if they were PS3 they would be as good, especially pulse with custom ships option.

NightArh
11th September 2009, 08:50 PM
I have just began WipeoutHD Campaign on Hard Mode without AP. It is enougn easy to play because half of all presented tracks I know from Pulse. At 1st Zone track Ive got Zen speed. Only hard thing is to learn new tracks and adaptate to new ship behaviour

PS
I want to take my words back :) It is not so easy for newbies further

Frances_Penfold
12th September 2009, 02:49 PM
Personally I find WOHD much harder than Pulse mainly because of the "elite skill" A.I. and the trophies. Admittedly the latter aren't in Pulse but they add a whole new level of challenge.

I am in the minority here but in general, I do better with the handheld Wipeout games. I think it is a combination of the portability (which allow me to play the games much more frequently) and my poor distance vision (I can see and "feel" the gameplay much better on a screen that is only a few inches from my face). Part of the reason that WOHD is more challenging to me is that I don't practice nearly as much-- and when I do play, I tend to get a headache :(

archman
12th September 2009, 03:09 PM
About the headache...I got it too, so it sucks. I can't play older wipeouts :(.

ACE-FLO
12th September 2009, 03:27 PM
Our Admin, Rob, got it spot on when he said that HD tracks were an assault on the senses. I, for one, agree. Too much colour on some tracks.

Like you, Frances, I too am short sighted - migraines are common when I play on a larger screen (fusion lol) so I also prefer the PSP!

EDIT: I do sometimes get migraines when I play Pulse for too long (like a couple hours) and I have to switch it off - and deal with the migraine by being in a dark room and trying to sleep it off! That is a suck but I hate taking ibuprofen whenever I get migraines... also, having stigmatism in my right eye doesnt help either, especailly when I'm experiencing frames drop in online play! Tracks like 07 are just too much for me, after the second lap, my brain gets real hot and melts my bad eye :D

Frances_Penfold
12th September 2009, 04:32 PM
Heh, it seems I'm not the only one ;)

Sometimes I wonder if the division between handheld and home consoles relates to eyesight, with near-sighted folks favoring the handhelds.

It's completely ridiculous but I think I would enjoy WOHD much more if it had some sort of option for displaying on an attached PSP, kinda like Lair did.

XpanDrome2097
12th September 2009, 10:12 PM
About the headache...I got it too, so it sucks. I can't play older wipeouts :(.

Baaaaahhhh archman, if this can make you feel better, I never played WipEout HD, because I don't have a PS3 :).

Headache....mmmmhh....oh no....WipEout Fusion :!!

MrSmadSmartAlex
12th September 2009, 10:48 PM
It's completely ridiculous but I think I would enjoy WOHD much more if it had some sort of option for displaying on an attached PSP, kinda like Lair did.
Maybe ridiculous, but I agree!:lol
In the unlikely event of me actually buying a PS3, I'll be playing WOHD on a small computer monitor (with HDMI input), as I don't like the way WOHD plays on a big screen, and I never watch TV anyway. I still don't think I'll ever really enjoy that impossible handling though.
But Pulse will remain my favourite by far, until a new WO I like better is released, no matter if people say Pulse is "dead" (whatever that means).:pirate

Frances_Penfold
12th September 2009, 11:12 PM
For me, Pure > Pulse but I definitely think that Pulse doesn't get due credit :)

I think that if Pulse hadn't been released in the wake of the very successful and widely played Pure, or if it had been released on a home console (perhaps PS2 at an earlier point in its lifespan), it would be much beloved and more active.

Once I pick up the DLC for Pulse-- hopefully within a few weeks now-- I will be playing LOTS of Pulse. Right now I am doing Pure time trialing mostly though...

MrSmadSmartAlex
13th September 2009, 12:08 AM
The DLC tracks are awesome! Gemini Dam Black is my favourite track in the whole of Pulse.:)
They all look amazing, and are all tricky but not too hard once you've learnt them, and they can be raced online (although not many people seem to play them).
The ships are also fun to use, although they don't work online unfortunately, but are all as balanced yet unique as the standard ships.

Pure is a cool game, great atmosphere and track design, but the evil cheating AI is among the most infuriating gaming experiences ever for me.:bomb
Maybe I'd have liked it more if I'd been around when it was still popular. Then again, I came to Pulse too late (got my PSP in Feb or March), and still rate it as one of my favourite games of all time.:D

NightArh
13th September 2009, 10:03 AM
Our Admin, Rob, got it spot on when he said that HD tracks were an assault on the senses. I, for one, agree. Too much colour on some tracks.

Your right. I lost my orientation on Talon's Junction yesterday when played it first time online because of transparant track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvpQ5UYca5A). It is good for me I know half of tracks and it is only deal of time to adaptate to WOHD physics and those HD environment...:)

archman
13th September 2009, 10:49 AM
Baaaaahhhh archman, if this can make you feel better, I never played WipEout HD, because I don't have a PS3 :).

Me neither, nor will. :lol

leungbok
20th September 2009, 01:38 PM
Bah, if you love wipeout, the three games (pure-pulse-hd) are equally great !!
With their advantages and defects ;)
I really can't choose any as my favorite, even if i play more on hd (because it's more comfortable for my eyes than the psp's tiny screen) :)

KIGO1987
20th September 2009, 02:31 PM
Pulse is the best, since it has the largest in game content. Pure has too many stupid tracks, but it has some good DLC stuff in it. and HD is just way too small,

So Pulse wins this, thats what i recommend.

yeldar2097
21st September 2009, 03:55 PM
Anything that involves a real pad (a la DS3) is my winner.

After playing HD: Go and play some piano/roll a cig
After playing pulse on psp: "£$"£%! MY HANDS! GIMME SOME ICE!!

:g

MrSmadSmartAlex
21st September 2009, 04:12 PM
Ha! I don't get any problems with the PSP compared to the DS3, which actually causes problems for me with it's stupid spongey L2 and R2 buttons. You do need to be careful not to hold a PSP too tightly though, yes, or it will cramp up your hands (getting drunk before playing helps with this, and also reduces eye-strain, as you don't/can't stare at the screen so hard :lol).
But this is a point about the system, not the games. I'd happily play Pulse using a DS3 on a big screen over playing HD on a PSP, just because I prefer the way Pulse plays.:D

yeldar2097
21st September 2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah the L2, R2 buttons are a pain. I switched my brakes to L1, R1 instead cos I was getting cramp :)

Pulse is fine except I find it a bit too bouncy in places: Moa therma BR at the end is hard to control (for a pulse noob like me anyway :) )
The end of Amphiseum White after a BR is a massive OMGWTFWHAAAAAA :eek
:lol

MrSmadSmartAlex
21st September 2009, 04:40 PM
Hehe. True, that Moa W BR is a tough one, but is the only feature of the track other than the first chicane, which is also a bit tricky. Still doesn't save the track from tedium for me though.:lol
The Amphi W drop is easier if you boost before the drop, BR, land in the corner facing left, then BR again!:banzai
I hold up on the dpad the majority of the time, so I don't get so much of the bounce, and if I want it for a BR, I just release up, or sometimes push down. I found that holding up on some of the nasty corners in WOHD prevents the bounce too, but doesn't seem to provide a speed/thrust boost like in Pulse (which is one huge improvement in WOHD IMO, although this BSB thing looks like the new Jaytech :lol).

leungbok
23rd September 2009, 02:47 PM
although this BSB thing looks like the new Jaytech :lol.
Yes it seems, except that bsb can't be advantageously used by average pilots, contrary to jaytech ! ;)

archman
23rd September 2009, 05:26 PM
So it's even worse, cause the most frustrations come from matches with experts, and those frustrations are risen by "cheats".

leungbok
23rd September 2009, 05:55 PM
Bsb is not a cheat, some calls that an "exploit", me i call that a technique. Like doing some difficult brs or shortcuts, that's all. And it only concerns HD speedlaps. It's a feature available INSIDE the game (not an outside element you can place under your psp stick). But i'll not start another "bsb war" on the pulse thread, lol. Only thing to say is that MrSmadSmartAlex is right when he compares bsb and jaytech, because both are ingenious finds (task for jaytech and Pirahpac for bsb), and both are controversial, but they're also totally differents ! ;)
here's a bsb example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MttTY3GotRk

MrSmadSmartAlex
23rd September 2009, 06:21 PM
For the record, I don't really consider either of them "cheats" as such, although I never tried Jaytech, and only play WOHD casually at my friend's house. I just meant that they're similar in terms of all the controversy and arguments surrounding them, not to mention the entertainment factor for me (e.g. reading accusations of "You used ___!!!?! You're a cheater!?!?" XD).

But I guess BSB is worse than Jaytech though, because while Jaytech is just a lazy way of doing something that can be achieved manually, the removal of this BSB feature without resetting the tables is a bit :turd - so Pulse wins!!!:D
But I'm sure the BSB records can still be beaten with enough thought and practice, just like all the (non-cheated) Pulse records on wipeout-game.com can still be beaten.;)

KIGO1987
23rd September 2009, 07:23 PM
Yes it seems, except that bsb can't be advantageously used by average pilots, contrary to jaytech ! ;)

Sounds like you are holding a bubbly white when you said that.

leungbok
23rd September 2009, 08:38 PM
I mean bsb is not a dishonored technique IMO. People that uses it don't take the easy way, i like that !