PDA

View Full Version : What do you play WipEout HD on?

bik3rluke
6th July 2009, 05:02 PM
For me, it's either this:

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt47/kryptix/1.jpg

...or this:

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt47/kryptix/9a171949.jpg

The above set-up is where my step-dad (xTHORGODx) plays most of the time.

PLazarou
6th July 2009, 05:07 PM
Ooh I recognise that second shot from the AVForums.

kanar
6th July 2009, 05:11 PM
Mate, your set up is superb. I'll try to arrange mine when I'll move out, I've good systems but my place is really not compatible to this kind of eden you have. But now more important; I'm sure you're a great addition to the members here, like thorgod, so please, take time to read that http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/announcement.php?f=23, and please link your pics. This forum doesn't allow posting this size of images, cos' some of us are using little harware like psps to watch the site, so no huge pics and so on. Hope to race you soon mate, I'll have a pic of your set up in my mind when I'll see you online lol.

ok Lance did the job lol.

Handmadelion
6th July 2009, 05:23 PM
ugh, mine's so embarrassing. I may edit this post later with mine though. I've got a 27" block television in my room. And it has about 20+ horizontal lines obscuring my visibility when I play. But only like 1/6th of the screen, at the top. And its colors still show and some of the image so it's not a real handicap. But it does affect my brilliant HD experience. I am planning on getting a new one for that very reason. That and WOHD (esp WOHD Fury) deserve to be played in hi-res. :D

Lance
6th July 2009, 05:28 PM
Can PS3s be plugged into a computer to access the hi-rez monitor?

EuphoricActivity
6th July 2009, 05:34 PM
Wow you guys are living the high life. Mine is a 22" Benq 1080p computer lcd screen in a small corner of my home studio (sound recording engineer). Boring!

Lance
6th July 2009, 05:50 PM
I guess that answers my question. :D

eLhabib
6th July 2009, 06:12 PM
to the OP:

1) I don't really believe that this is your setup, as I have seen these same exact pictures before, posted by someone else, on this very forum I believe.
2) This is the biggest willy-waving, I-have-to-compensate-my-underdeveloped-procreational-limb thread I have seen in a long time, so even if it were your setup, that's pretty sad.

*waiting to receive your bad rep*

you know it.

Handmadelion
6th July 2009, 06:17 PM
fight! fight! fight!

i mean...

race! race! race!

Lance
6th July 2009, 06:20 PM
grrrrr WOOF!

Aeroracer
6th July 2009, 06:37 PM
i play on a 50inch samsung plasma and sit like 3 foot away from it. Cos its used as a PC monitor too. Was really hard to get used too.bUt it's good to play on now.

kanar
6th July 2009, 06:41 PM
Elhabib, he said it was Thorgod set up, not his personal set up (the second one). And even more complicated lol, bik3rluke (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/member.php?u=4579) is kryptix too. You know, same person, Well that's what I understood, but gah I'm still zombified so... Anyway, why am I posting btw. Should be on a break.

Hellfire_WZ
6th July 2009, 06:45 PM
I'm currently on a 22" LG 1080i job which doubles as my computer monitor. However, I've got one eye on a new 24" 1080p monitor, and the other on my bank balance...

sny
6th July 2009, 06:51 PM
Err, like Kanar said, he didn't claim either setups as his own, and besides, what's wrong with some d1ckwaving here, it is a racing game forum, isn't it? ;)

LOL, silly me, forgot to add that I'm playing on a Panasonic Viera TX-37PZ (I think it was), 1080p of course...

Lance
6th July 2009, 06:58 PM
um... cos willywaving is pointless and boring?

sny
6th July 2009, 07:37 PM
Agreed, but it wasn't out of place among all the other minor wobbling willies (pardon the visually disturbing wording :rolleyes:) which were left unremarked upon... that was my point.

I'm just saying it isn't the worst case of e-peen stroking I've seen by a long shot, so let's not crucify anyone for it. :)

Darkdrium777
6th July 2009, 07:39 PM
I guess that answers my question. :DHaha, yes.
You need to make sure though that your computer monitor supports HDCP (A quick Google search for the model number will give you the exact specifications of your monitor), and if it does, you can use an HDMI to DVI (http://www.digitalconnection.com/spec_images/shdmidvi_rg.jpg) cable to plug the PS3 in the monitor. Now it depends on the monitor you have, some will support only 720p correctly and will inappropriately scale 1080i/p (Often times cutting off a part of the picture), while others will support all resolutions the PS3 can output. I'm using a ViewSonic VX2035wm (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/x-series/vx2035wm.htm) in this way with an HDMI to DVI cable, and it supports 1080p perfectly so I can play on it with no problem.
For sound, even though my monitor has integrated speakers, I have a Samsung HT-X40 (http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-systems/samsung-ht-x40/4505-6740_7-32445874.html?tag=rnav) bought cheaply at BestBuy (Compared to other 5.1 systems, and no the price on CNet is far higher than what was paid for it, at least four times too high) and it's served me well... I have the desktop computer on it too, though it only has 2.1 in the case of the computer (5.1 through Digital Optical for PS3)

IH8YOU
6th July 2009, 07:55 PM
I play wipeout hd on an etch-a-sketch and i make all the sound effects with my mouth, except for quakes... I lean back into my chair and cut a thunderous blast to elevate the realisim. Hardcore gaming.

Lance
6th July 2009, 08:07 PM
...........so let's not crucify anyone for it. :)

Oh, c'mon; don't be a killjoy; let's do it.

LOUDandPROUD
6th July 2009, 09:01 PM
Let the willy-waving commence! :lol Here's my new setup: A Panasonic Viera TC-P50G10 plasma (also doubles as my computer monitor) coupled with Energy Take Classic 5.1 surround speakers through a Yamaha RX-V465BL 5.1 receiver

Rapier Racer
6th July 2009, 11:39 PM
@ First post, whats the point of all those signs on the wall? Do they have any real functionality? Aside from informing any potential thief what the gear is capable of lol

Darkdrium777
6th July 2009, 11:42 PM
Yes they do

willy-waving

djKyoto
7th July 2009, 12:29 AM
I play mine on a PS3.

What. Doesn't everybody else?

Lance
7th July 2009, 02:04 AM
I use a DS.

Except for the Wipeout HD part, of course.

ProblemSolver
7th July 2009, 02:14 AM
PS3 launch model! :hyper The chrome trim makes a huge difference.
That's teH secret! :nod

Lance
7th July 2009, 02:45 AM
I like the Lunch Model, so sweet you can eat it.

Kyonshi
7th July 2009, 05:43 AM
I play on a 40" LCD Sony Grand Wega. Pretty modest set-up but it does a good job anyway.

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/album.php?albumid=78&pictureid=744

It's actually larger than it looks... :)

djKyoto
7th July 2009, 05:49 AM
I like the Lance Model, so sweet you can eat it.

;) :lol

ElectroBolt
7th July 2009, 08:06 AM
to the OP:

1) I don't really believe that this is your setup, as I have seen these same exact pictures before, posted by someone else, on this very forum I believe.

I don't know about point 2, but you're definitely right about point 1: those pics were posted on this forum some months ago, so the guy's either bringing up an old topic or he's trying to make us believe it's his setup. What's the point?

Darkdrium777
7th July 2009, 08:38 AM
Wow, I wouldn't trust you guys with finding something (http://www.avforums.com/forums/members-home-cinema-gallery/834863-kryptixs-hd-7-1-thx-living-room-setup.html) on Google even if my life depended on it...
I detect large quantities of cynism in this sector.

cybrpnk
7th July 2009, 09:49 AM
24" Acer something something LCD monitor for me...full 1080 hd which is all I need...

LET'S DO THIS!!!

*waves willy*

bik3rluke
7th July 2009, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure why it's willing waving. I would have thought a lot of WipEout HD players would get the very-best out of the game by upgrading their TV and speakers. You all bang on about the 'glorious HD graphics' (etc). I know there's a few AV-heads on here... Why not get a thread going?

Yes, I'm 'Kryptix' on AVForums too. I was 'Kryptix' on here like a day ago, but I got my name changed to 'bik3rluke' (my PSN name).

kanar
7th July 2009, 11:30 AM
Hey krypix/bik3rluke, we already discussed that ages ago, not your fault, the thread is in the archives now, here's the link http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5569&highlight=denon if you want to know our set up. And you're right, wipeout HD definitely motivated myself to buy some crazy equipments.

chboing
7th July 2009, 12:36 PM
indeed, dont worry your set up is nice, i dont see any willy-waving thing at all, just ignore the bad comments, they're pointless/useless

i'm happy to see some of the AV set up of wipeout friends !
it's a bit too clean imho, but looks nice !

PLazarou
7th July 2009, 03:35 PM
Sometimes I'm on the telly downstairs but usually I'm in my room:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5185/desk1k.jpg

BARTgai
7th July 2009, 03:54 PM
I've been wanting to get a screen that works for both my PC and PS3. Our main TV is nice, but its hard when other people want to watch something. Can anyone recommend a good screen thats not too expensive but allows for HD output (1080p)?

Darkdrium777
7th July 2009, 06:00 PM
How big do you want it to be? I've been using a ViewSonic 20" VX2035wm for the past year or so as the display for my PC (1680x1050) and PS3 (1920x1080)
Doesn't have loads of options, but just enough for both of these devices. It's kind of an old model though, you can definitely get better today and bigger too.

Seraphim1982
7th July 2009, 06:38 PM
A 50" 1080p plasma with a dolby digital surround sound system of course. What else could wipeout hd be played on?

IH8YOU
7th July 2009, 10:20 PM
I use a Dell 2408WFP - 24" with 1920 x 1200 resolution - so 1920 x 1080 is easy going for it.

They aren't that expensive, and look pretty good (picture quality wise) 2 DVI inputs, 1 VGA, HDMI and Display Port, oh and RCAs and S-Video inputs. It's also HDCP compliant - so you can watch Blu-Rays without any issue.

Makes a decent monitor, too.

Think I paid 400 something when I got it - wasn't that expensive actually - should likely be even cheaper by now.

Zitrax
7th July 2009, 10:55 PM
I am playing on the wall. Sound is Rotel + Klipsch RF63. A bit hard to take a photo of though, this was a 6 second exposure:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/inside_the_wire/wall.jpg

DeepMix
8th July 2009, 02:58 AM
daaamn a lot of u guys really living the high life lol i play on a 29" or 27" (cant remember) sdtv :( yep it is true :( and yep it isnt a joke either :( lol

yeldar2097
8th July 2009, 03:20 AM
42" toshiba somethingorother
meridien dsp 5500 or something.
you can tell i know what i'm talking about.... :lol

SuperNova
8th July 2009, 03:52 AM
A 46" 1080p Sony Bravia KDL46Z5500 with MotionFlow 200hz, Perfect for WipEout HD's Fast paced action.

Sometimes on The HD Projector, But not Often.

blackwiggle
8th July 2009, 06:53 AM
That's a $US 15,000 active speaker system you have their Yeldar.
Although they should be a bit cheaper in the UK where they are built.

kaori
8th July 2009, 09:53 AM
I play on a big 14 pouces Full SD

KIGO1987
8th July 2009, 10:06 AM
A shtheap 1999 Singer 52cm CRT TV.

Cant really upgrade to a new telle atm, since the Aus dollar is worth sht, a tv of the same specs this time last year was much cheaper than one of the same specs now. Im prob gonna wait another year before i upgrade, got other concerns atm, like going to ADSL2+.

blackwiggle
8th July 2009, 11:39 AM
CRT displays give better colour rendition and far deeper black levels than any Plasma or top of the range LCD display.
Simple reason for that,a CRT just does not reproduce an image at black,the voltage has been turned off to zero,where a Plasma or LCD display is ALWAYS on,therefore you will always get a graduating scale of black never as deep as a CRT display.

That's why I keep mine.

Hell,I've got a spare 3 lens CRT PJ as back up siting behind me in my computer room just in case anything goes amiss.
Got brand NOS Tubes to replace the ones that are fitted,another 20K hours.

A PITA to set up though.

I learn't a LOT about displays having have to set the bugger up on more than one occasion from scratch.

Even thought going to the extent to becoming ISF certified

lunar
8th July 2009, 11:58 AM
I have an LG 32 inch 1080P which does the job nicely for the money. Next purchase will be an LG home cinema setup with optical in so I can have bigger sound but all still with only one button and one remote. Can`t be arsed with switching on a seperate amp. Most LCD TVs do seem to have pretty thin sound. I wouldn`t want a bigger set than that for playing on. I already have to retreat from the TV quite a distance.

For all those on SD, it really really REALLY is worth the upgrade. Wipeout HD is massively better in HD and you might fly better too as you seem to get more FPS than on a PAL SDTV. If you are susceptible to losing ability with low framerates then HD can make the game easier. Some people can play at 15 FPS of course, but they are aliens.

IMO and at the end of the day it`s best not to get too fussy or anal about which HDTV you get. AFAICT all the popular models from the good brands give you a good picture unless you really want to be picky. Internet reviews can make you worry too much - if you get a popular set that`s a good brand it will be much better than your 15 year old SDTV. You can see a minor improvement on graphics with a 1080P 32 inch set over a 720p, but it`s not essential to have 1080P for 32 and lower IMO. It`s just nice to have, but more important to get a good brand TV than that.

afatsuoM
8th July 2009, 12:04 PM
This is my setup in my bedroom.

http://gallery.me.com/m.mansourbaker/100083/foto/web.jpg?ver=12470532350001

- 20" HD-ready TV (sony KDL-20B4050).
- Fatman iTube Carbon II amplifier.
- Roth Audio Oli1 speakers.
- Comfy chair from IKEA.

I play other games lying back on the chair, but playing WipEout, I usually sit on the tip of the chair with my elbows on my knees. There's a 32" HD-ready TV in the living room (Samsung), but my parents don't want me gaming there all the time.

Also in the picture:
- My old Nintendo Gamecube (for playing F-Zero GX)
- Pentax K10D camera.

[edit]
Wow, the picture looked OK on my phone, but seeing this makes me think I should have taken it with the Pentax.

G'Kyl
8th July 2009, 12:08 PM
I usually play it on a chair. Or a sofa.

I also do willy waving.
But that's another threat.

Ben

blackwiggle
8th July 2009, 12:08 PM
You can adjust a cheap TV to look like a PRO monitor.

You don't have to sell your soul for a great picture.

The problem with the cheaper set's is DRIFT.

You set it up perfectly ,then the settings drift out.

This is caused by cheap power supplies.

You can't amend that.

afatsuoM
8th July 2009, 12:18 PM
I usually play it on a chair. Or a sofa.

I also do willy waving.
But that's another threat.

Ben

"threat"

What do you mean? Treat, threat or thread? Could be all three. :lol

ProblemSolver
8th July 2009, 12:52 PM
Here is my setup.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1355/wohdsetup.jpg

Not the best one, but still!

G'Kyl
8th July 2009, 12:54 PM
"threat"

What do you mean? Treat, threat or thread? Could be all three. :lol

I have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about!!

Lance
8th July 2009, 01:03 PM
ProblemSolver: lol. I've got one of those sitting around, too. :)

eLhabib
8th July 2009, 01:08 PM
LOL! Great picture! 256 colors of JOY ;)

ProblemSolver
8th July 2009, 01:09 PM
@eLhabib: LOL what? It's my setup! :g

@Lance: Judging from your age, I guess you have the original one! xD

blackwiggle
8th July 2009, 01:20 PM
I love the Wipeout HD screen visual showing on the ancient computer screen photo [Very subtle PS]:lol

Lance
8th July 2009, 01:37 PM
@@Lance: Judging from your age, I guess you have the original one! xD

Mine is an IBM PC-XT. Monochrome green monitor, 20 MegaByte full height harddrive, 1 MegaByte RAM, two 5.5 inch floppy drives, MS-DOS 3.2

It was already old when I was given it by a friend. My actual first computer was a Commodore 64. I loved it. For two years I played with that thing, writing programs in Basic, Forth, and machine language [with an assembler, of course]. I only used machine language for a sorting algorithm I invented. Everything else ran quickly enough in fully interpreted language. The little C64 accomplished tasks almost as fast as the PC, largely because the little MOSTEK 6510 processor was a semi-RISC machine, even though the clock speed was only 1 MHz while the PC's was 4.77

blackwiggle
8th July 2009, 01:56 PM
I've got PC mag's and APPLE specific Mags from that era that have a 1gb HD costing around $5000.:eek
If you had a 1mb ram Mac .....you were flying!

LOUDandPROUD
8th July 2009, 04:22 PM
@ ProblemSolver - Ah! So, that's how you're able to achieve zone 125! It all makes sense now! LOL! :lol

ProblemSolver
8th July 2009, 06:02 PM
Ah no! For a 125 zone run I need a perfect sound system, a perfect light, and
a very comfortable chair. So I usually play in my living room; Have a look. (http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2457/dsc00302mnx.jpg)

@Lance: IBM PC-XT? Kewl. Are you still using it?
I went a similar road. The Cphi was my first love, so to speak, and I did also
some Basic programming. I even hacked my first game (called R.A.F., what
a game! xD) on my Cphi by studying its code to get more money for buying
better weapons (in-game). xD

I have a nice little story; I was at Games Convention at Leipzig (Germany) two
years ago where they also showed (kinda of an exposition) lots of old-school
computers including the Cphi. All the people (mostly teenagers) were stunned
by looking at what they saw. Some of those computers were actually running.
And yes, Cphi was running as well. But there was also a clear sign reading;
Don't Touch! Hell, I couldn't resist!

I was typing:

10 PRINT "Cphi for the forEVAR"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

(and hit return)

As I turned around they all look at me with their jaws dropped! I felt like
being a hero, honestly! xD It was a great feeling for me to give my old love
another go.

Next in line was Amiga500 (best computer ever, in my opinion), PC (286,
386, ...), PS2, and PS3.

I always wanted to have an SGI computer (an Indigo 2) back in the days.
Right, I was into 3D graphics on my Amiga500 a lot (Deluxe Paint, Imagine,
and Reflections, if someone does remember). But for me, an SGI computer
was the ultima ratio. Aged 13, I was visiting CeBit (Hannover / Germany) for
the next 5 years in a row to get a little bit closer to my dreams each year. I
grasped every bit of detail they provided. SGI really got me going. In the
following years I climbed to the highest heights. And ten years ago I even
got my hands on an SGI Onyx, a Power Challenge, and a Indigo 2 at my
former university / institute. But that was already the time were SGI was
going to die. :( I'm with RISC since ever. Hell, I even have a PS2Linux and
PS3Linux running at home. The PS2 uses a RISC MIPS R5900 processor and
two vector units. And the PS3s Cell processor (its architecture) is the best
thing I've seen by a long shot, despite some people, i.e. cry babies -- PS3 is
sooo difficult to program -- mimimi, say otherwise. Its design is native /
back to the roots and RISC all the way down with explicit memory controllers.
That's the way to go if you wanna do serious parallel programming on
multi-core architectures. Once you have your libraries in place, Cell really
shows. The problem today is that there aren't simply enough masters of
computer science around with good programming skills and a thoroughly
understanding of micro-processor architectures. I mean, they all do learn
Java/C# or whatever languages slows your computer down by a factor of ten.
Today, one can finish a master of computer science without ever having wrote
a single line of assembler or without even knowing how a modern architecture
really works. WTF!

Oh ... I'm off-topic. http://forum.gcult.de/images/smilies/more/finger2.gif

Just one question; The sorting algorithm you have invented, is it based on
comparisons or buckets? Have you ever done a runtime analysis in the sense
of worst/average/best case, and Master's Theorem & Friends?

Lance-sort. I lol'd! Nice!

PS: If anyone else here is still interested in SGI and stuff, there you
go; SGIstuff (http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/).

Lance
8th July 2009, 07:59 PM
ontopic:
I don't play HD, but if I did, I would use my little 19 inch....
Samsung with HDMI/DVI inputs or five-part RCA which worked well with my neighbor's 360.

offtopic:
I don't use the XT anymore. When I did, I just used it for Lotus 1-2-3 to do rough horsepower calculations [to hell with kilowatts and newtons] for varying levels of performance for submarines and cars whose design I was playing with. It's a hobby. :D

I always wanted an SG Indigo, but alas...
Same goes for Amiga. Other interests arose, and I didn't want to work that hard for the cash to get the computers instead of other things.

The sort worked by comparisons and dual index arrays. I made it far more efficient than a Quicksort by specialising for database programs [I had written one, and was trying to make its operation as fast as I could, barring using machine language for everything.] which enabled me to eliminate a lot of useless comparisons.

diddymal
16th July 2009, 04:09 PM
I crank my PS3 on a 42" LCD High def, it looks fantastic. I'm looking into a 50" plasma in the next few months though, plus I need to get my amp fixed. I'm running sound off the TV speakers and it's pretty bad.

Rubix42
16th July 2009, 05:49 PM
Currently rocking a 52" Sony LCD. Goes to 1080i, but I mostly play in 720p. Attached is a Odyssey 7.1 surround system. Sit about 10' away in one of two chairs. A big ol'comfy armchair, or a easy glide rocker with footrest.

Wipeout is generally played in the armchair. Rocking and playing wipeout messes me up.

Looking into a 60" plasma this year maybe. I want 1080p, and I like the glass front, easier to clean with 2 little young ones running around.

Jambo
16th July 2009, 06:05 PM
At a desk with a 21" 1080P monitor when at my student home.

Proper home 32" 1080p Sanyo, 5.1 surround and nice comfy armchair :D

Am getting a cockpit sorted for my G25 wheel so will see how comfy that is and that may be my gaming seat in general also.

crawdad62
16th July 2009, 06:15 PM
I play on a 46" Sharp AQUOS LCD HDTV. Sound goes through a Pioneer VSX D608 receiver. I used to use the receiver's 5.1 output but since I play late at night I use some old (but very nice) AKG K240 headphones. Now I use them all the time regardless of when I'm playing.

sh1kamaru-
18th July 2009, 08:57 PM
Playing on a Viewsonic VX2260WM here, 21.6" Full HD, I think this is perhaps the cheapest way to play full hd, it's really great for HD, but the 720p games don't look good at all, but I don't mind. :)

Hemicrania
18th July 2009, 09:06 PM
32" samsung LCD and sony 5.1

but I need a bigger tv...

silverfoxy
18th July 2009, 09:19 PM
I've also got a 32" samsung. Don't have surround, to be honest, the sound from the telly is more than enough for my years of damage from clubbing ears !!

Also recently picked up a 19" samsung for the bedroom so I may have to take the PS3 up there on Thurs night to have a good blast on Fury !!

Asayyeah
18th July 2009, 10:31 PM
We are almost on the same boat SilverFox about ears ! (note that on my side it could also possibly come from an old habit of 'shaking' something :o but ermmm it's not the place here to talk about that :paperbag )

Playing on a samsung 32p the weekends , and a 20p Sony for the weekdays, no 5.1

Hellfire_WZ
18th July 2009, 10:45 PM
Now playing on an HP LP2475w 24" monitor on full 1080p :) SEXY

andybob35
18th July 2009, 11:04 PM
It largely depends on what tv ive hijacked for the evening... :lol

40" 1080p LCD with 5.1 at home or 28" old skool CRT with 'bubble' screen at ZoNeS' It doesnt matter what tv you play on, its 60fps.

I think playing it in the cinema would be the best wipeout experience... anyone work at a cinema? hmmm.

ProblemSolver
18th July 2009, 11:25 PM
Isn't PAL 50Hz only? Meaning, no 60fps on a PAL TV.
NTSC (Never The Same Color xD) is 60Hz, if I remember correctly.

Hellfire_WZ
18th July 2009, 11:46 PM
Most sets over here support both 50Hz and 60Hz as standard now.

AnErare
19th July 2009, 12:34 AM
I think playing it in the cinema would be the best wipeout experience... anyone work at a cinema? hmmm.

Where I work we've got 3 4:3 projector screens measuring in at about 2,25x3 meters. From what I've heard there used to be guys playing their consoles on them years ago during the night shifts ;)

Sadly that isn't allowed anymore because those particular buggers are damned expensive :P

At home I play on a Samsung T260HD, also wired to my desktop pc, spaced at about 4 feet or 1.2 meters in front of me. For audio I use a Luxman L81 amp coupled to Spendor BC1 Mk2 monitors. The HiFi are from the 70's and years older than I am but still going strong ;)

_Rubbernuke_
19th July 2009, 06:59 AM
I Hijack the main TV (1080p 42'' LCD) when I can, although the wife is on a mission to distract me all the time when I race...

When I lived with a mate we both had 720p projectors in the flat (boys and toys!) and we often projected our games onto the living room wall, but after about an hour you would get overwhelmed, or have nightmares (playing Bioshock or Crysis with life size monsters is bad for your mental health!).

Lance
20th July 2009, 06:26 PM
I would have thought that with hi-def digital, there would be no PAL or NTSC since those are analogue CRT standards for a scanning electron beam.
?

lunar
20th July 2009, 08:12 PM
I think you are right, Lance, though region coding still seems to exist in other areas for some reason.

Isn't PAL 50Hz only? Meaning, no 60fps on a PAL TV.
NTSC (Never The Same Color xD) is 60Hz, if I remember correctly.

I`m not totally sure about the answer to this one, and whether playing Wipeout HD in High Definition gives you more FPS. I certainly noticed a smoother experience when switching from PAL to HD. Many PAL TVs will do 60HZ, but I think PAL TVs will always be 50HZ with Wipeout HD, and hence not 60FPS, because the PS3 will not tell the TVs to switch to 60HZ even if they are capable of it. The PS3 has no option for 60HZ on a PAL TV I think. I believe this was the case with my old Panasonic SD which would switch to 60HZ with some PS2 games that had that option to force the TV to switch, but with Wipeout HD there was no way to make it switch to 60HZ and therefore it did not do 60FPS when playing in Standard Definition. Does this make sense? I am willing to stand corrected here if necessary. :dizzy

mic-dk
21st July 2009, 05:23 AM
Well, you guys are mixing up fps and Hz. You can run 60 fps fine in what ever Hz you like. Whatever fps the PS is running has no bearing on what refeshrate the screen is using. It could run 16 fps and still be in 50/60/100/120/200Hz.

*** Beware! Willy waving ahead ***

My Pioneer 5090 runs the 60fps at 100Hz in glorious 1080p. :hyper

Sausehuhn
21st July 2009, 04:00 PM
So if my TV has 60Hz, does that mean it refreshes the input video 60 times in a second? So, theoretically, videos with 60FPS on a 60Hz TV change images 1:1, don't they? That, consequently, means that if I had a 100Hz TV with videos running at 60FPS I could not see any difference to the 60Hz TV, as, even though the TV refreshes faster, there is nothing more to refresh?

Or do I totally mix things up? I just would like to know how it works :)

Or, next thought, do 100/200/whatever Hz TVs show the change itself of the frames more fluently? … if that makes any sense ;)

diddymal
21st July 2009, 04:14 PM
Nah you're on the money. the FPS your TV shows is governed by whatever it is feeding it the image. So a DVD running at 60fps on a 100Hz TV will only have 60 frames shown per second, while your TV will simply show you duplicate frames every so often.

mic-dk
21st July 2009, 08:21 PM
Yep, you got it right :)

NeilSmith
24th July 2009, 11:52 AM
Samsung LE40A656; http://www.ngbconsult.co.uk/gallery/Samsung_Le40A656/Samsung_Le40A656.jpg

alka16r
24th July 2009, 12:00 PM
isn't your picture too small...?

Sausehuhn
25th August 2009, 01:13 PM
Question:

I have a 22" 1680*1050 Pixel monitor with HDMI input.
What do I get? 720p (1024*720) stretched to fit the screen size? Black bars? 1080i (1920*1080) cut at the edges (yes I would like that most)?

eLhabib
25th August 2009, 01:46 PM
720p upscaled, unfortunately. 1680x1050 is such an idiotic resolution really...

Connavar
25th August 2009, 02:13 PM
PS3 + 46" PLASMA (panasonic I believe) + 5.1

yeldar2097
25th August 2009, 02:20 PM
well that's not fair...

my sound is good i think...(meridian dsp5500 + sub) but the TV is too small :(

i want a cinema for wipeout...mmmmmmmmm

Sausehuhn
25th August 2009, 03:34 PM
720p upscaled, unfortunately. 1680x1050 is such an idiotic resolution really...

Cool stuff that is … not. So is it stretched then? 'Cause 1680*1050 is 16:10 which is – oh surprise – not 16:9. Or do I get black bars? I have an 19" also, which has 1280*1024. Black bars there on top and bottom?

eLhabib
25th August 2009, 04:30 PM
Depends on the screen, but on most of them you can defy the stretch (which is usually default) in favor of some fancy black bars ;)

Aeroacer
25th August 2009, 09:17 PM
I got a 97" 1080p front projection screen with a Sony 5.1 digital surround system.

DrMannevond
25th August 2009, 09:24 PM
Sony Bravia 40" 1080p with a fiber-link(can't remember what you call them) to my PC with a cheap-ass Creative 5.1 surround system (but the sound is actually pretty decent!). Machine Gun by Noisia sounds glorious in 5.1!!:P

DISRUPTOR
25th August 2009, 10:28 PM
42 inch sony bravia.

IDReaper
26th August 2009, 12:20 AM
Samsung Syncmaster 940MW 19" LCD 16:10 Aspect Ratio

Due to the aspect ration of my screen everything is warped and appears taller and more narrow. Not good :)

blackwiggle
26th August 2009, 06:12 AM
You can change the screen size in HD's game options so it won't look stretched out.

afatsuoM
26th August 2009, 12:22 PM
So if my TV has 60Hz, does that mean it refreshes the input video 60 times in a second? So, theoretically, videos with 60FPS on a 60Hz TV change images 1:1, don't they? That, consequently, means that if I had a 100Hz TV with videos running at 60FPS I could not see any difference to the 60Hz TV, as, even though the TV refreshes faster, there is nothing more to refresh?

Or do I totally mix things up? I just would like to know how it works :)

Or, next thought, do 100/200/whatever Hz TVs show the change itself of the frames more fluently? … if that makes any sense ;)

You're right, but not completely. The TV's that display at 100hz/200hz also use a technique to "calculate" the frames between the duplicate frames. So the chip in the TV actually creates new (non-existing) frames to make the picture look smoother.

I saw a Sony display at a local store showing a 60hz, 100hz and 200hz TV next to eachother. They were displaying the same 60fps input signal. The image was a newspaper moving back and forth really fast. The text on the newspaper was not readable on the 60hz TV, but clearly readable on the 200hz TV.

This technique works really well for movies (much smoother image), but there's a catch when playing games. The chip that calculates image enhancements, takes few extra miliseconds doing this. This means that the image is not immediately displayed. Now all TV's have this so-called input lag. But the more techniques used to enhance the image, the longer the lag is. The technique described above creates extra lag (but the image is smoother).

In games like WipEout, this extra lag is really annoying. So it's best to turn off these techniques while playing fast-paced games like WipEout. Most newer TV's have a special game-mode in which only the basic image enhancements are enabled.

In short: 100hz or 200hz TV's are great, but don't add anything for games like WipEout.

Jguesty94
26th August 2009, 10:03 PM
50" Plasma Pioneer (here (http://myhdtvchoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/pioneer-kuro.jpg)). A great TV, but it doesn't half give off a lot of heat, makes the whole room hot.

Or 32" Sony Bravia, which is sadly 1080i

Sausehuhn
27th August 2009, 02:54 PM
I have a surprisingly good image here on my 22" HP Screen. I'm testing it with a mate's PS3 right now. Seems like it cuts out the edges, as I get 1080p on it :) Sadly I only have the Motor Storm Demo to test it, which only features 720p.

z1r0rEi
28th August 2009, 12:43 AM
46" SHARP Lcd Tv 1080p & 37" SHARP Lcd Tv 1080p

GalacticSpartan
28th August 2009, 02:04 AM
1080 ftw lol.

G-Hob
31st August 2009, 02:36 PM
For all those on SD, it really really REALLY is worth the upgrade. Wipeout HD is massively better in HD and you might fly better too as you seem to get more FPS than on a PAL SDTV. If you are susceptible to losing ability with low framerates then HD can make the game easier. Some people can play at 15 FPS of course, but they are aliens.

Why would the framerate be lower at 480i than at 720p or 1080p?

abukii
31st August 2009, 04:32 PM
Right now, Im running on a 15" Prima HD (720p) and upstairs, 42" Sceptre HD (1080p).
WO just looks GORGEOUS in full HD :)

AG-wolf
31st August 2009, 04:35 PM
grrrrr WOOF! lol, really now? :P

I use a 42inch 1080p Sharp Aquos. No fun surround or any fancy-schmantsy stuff like that. *shrug*

abukii
31st August 2009, 04:42 PM
lol, really now? :P

I use a 42inch 1080p Sharp Aquos. No fun surround or any fancy-schmantsy stuff like that. *shrug*

Oh, I hear ya. My 15" has PC speakers attached to it. Although it has a sub-woofer (3"), its just not the same. The 42" has 5.1 surround, but not hooked up to anything but the dvd player...ugghhhh...

xEik
31st August 2009, 10:04 PM
I just got myself a Bravia 40W5500 to match the PS3 I'm going to buy this week.
The audio will go to a Logitech Z-5500 I bought some time ago also with the PS3 in mind.
Strange numeric coincidence. :?

rdmx
1st September 2009, 11:07 AM
Why would the framerate be lower at 480i than at 720p or 1080p?
NTSC 480i TVs display a 60hz signal, but the effective framerate is effectively only 30fps as interlacing draws only half the image at any one time - odd fields, even fields. Field rates are twice the framerate.

G-Hob
2nd September 2009, 03:11 AM
Oh, I see.

RedScar
5th September 2009, 06:05 PM
22" Acer LCD monitor, 720p
It is also my computer monitor, so I swap between the DVI cable to my PC with a HDMI to DVI cable when I wanna use it for my PS3.

Golgofier
5th September 2009, 07:55 PM
40" Samsung LCD (1080p)
Yamaha receiver with 5.1 hook-up
Comfy sofa - now with WO imprint...
Adrenalin (occasionally)

G-Hob
7th September 2009, 09:54 PM
I now play it on this 37 inch 720p LCD by LG:

http://www.lge.com/us/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-37LH20.jsp

IH8YOU
8th September 2009, 03:01 AM
I've upgraded to 480i - stereo - old, huge, POS Tube.

I can't even see what names I'm racing against anymore - but my PS3 has been getting worse and worse playing with my 1080P display - and sadly, it's not the display.

The strangest part, was the HUGE amount of lag I was used to playing with. I continually turn INTO corners prematurely now - and I keep botching the boost-start at the countdown. Don't get me wrong, being able to avoid mines now is awesome, just need to re-program my brain after xx months playing the old way.

Now only if it was HD, and a clear picture with that response time - I'd be able to play worth a damn. (perhaps)

robanddee
8th September 2009, 07:32 AM
I play on an old SDTV which is slowly dying, occasionally the screen goes all fuzzy and the brightness/contrast is poked - I've got bright turned all the way up and yet when I go through a tunnel I can't see a thing...have to navigate tunnels (or sometimes shaded areas of track) by memory - have no idea where other ships are until I get out the other side!:frown:

As Heaven Is Wide
8th September 2009, 09:50 AM
I play on a 28" (widescreen) CRT TV which is excellent at what it does but no HD so :paperbag

My sound setup on the other hand is a bit more interesting.
I have a Victor SU-DH1 headphone amp which is the japanese version of this

http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathId=2&modelId=MODL027291&page=1

The only real difference being that the japanese one can be plugged into a mains socket. This gives a surprisingly good surround sound effect through normal headphones (in my case Sennheiser hd555's).

xyntacx
8th September 2009, 10:56 AM
I play on Pioneer "Kuro" PDP-LX5090, 50". Sitting about 3,5 meters from the screen gives best performance on near-view. If I run on cockpit mode I sit closer for best performance (and I do that only in zone races), but prefer to sit a bit back from the screen. It is just fantastic!

assoartu64
8th September 2009, 12:42 PM
i play on sony bravia lcd 46"...i stay on my bad in front of this like “sitting bull mode”.

the distance.......1 meters only...i like the "immersive" mode!!

it is no good for performance .....and eyes:eek but it is fantastic:rock

Lance
8th September 2009, 02:31 PM
This gives a surprisingly good surround sound effect through normal headphones (in my case Sennheiser hd555's).

I never met a Sennheiser that I didn't like. :D

abukii
8th September 2009, 04:45 PM
Just think, when you guys and gals running in SD finally do get an HD TV, it will be like night and day. When I made the switch, I didnt have Component cables, and was thinking, whats the big deal about this...looks like :turd still. When I got component cables (Monster HD), I was like , OMG!!!! Heaven!!!!:rock
All Im saying is that its a substantial difference:)

eLhabib
8th September 2009, 04:50 PM
You can get that OMG feeling once more if you switch to HDMI :)

IH8YOU
8th September 2009, 04:55 PM
And get that feeling another time if you don't get Monster as they rape and pillage (especially with HDMI). Amazon it next time. :nod

abukii
8th September 2009, 05:08 PM
Sadly, my tv, seen here: http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/prima-15-lcd-hd-ready-tv-l1510p does not have an HDMI input. As for the Monster Cables, I got them for 25 USD, and can signal clearly upto 1080p. My tv does 1080i, but I run in 720p for the Progressive Scan capabilities...and its a 60 (generic) hz

As Heaven Is Wide
9th September 2009, 10:17 AM
I never met a Sennheiser that I didn't like. :D

:rock
Although that double-negative confused me for a sec there. I was halfway through thinking of a defensive sounding paragraph before I noticed :D

Whizzer The Hawk
11th September 2009, 11:59 PM
I've got this little bubby TV for my room:

http://www.cyprus-pc.com/cyprus_pc_v7/front-end/main.php?action=productdetails&page=productdetails&design=default&prod_id=2966

Big things come in small packages I say. Firstly It's bigger than it looks in the picture... My one has some extra bits and bobs also. I strangely got a 5 year warrenty on it which was the main excitement. :rock

superpj1
12th September 2009, 01:26 PM
Here's what I play Wipeout HD on (you can see my room :g) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK8xwEasuFI

abukii
12th September 2009, 04:11 PM
LoL...nice. You can see my screen name when you zoom into the Zone forum. Im famous!!:rock

superpj1
12th September 2009, 07:15 PM
don't forget to take a pen when you go out to sign autographs :+

morfeo378
12th September 2009, 07:53 PM
here is where i play. is a lg 37 ", sorry for quality, the photo is taken with phone

Kaede
17th September 2009, 12:50 PM
Playing on a good old P1230 22" CRT here, using a HDMI->VGA adapter (HD Fury 2) http://espacekamal.com/ecran_dell_p1230_noir.jpg
Yes, it's 4/3 (I know...)
Since the PS3 outputs a 60Hz signal , it does flicker a bit but the image is perfect and the screen is extremely responsive.

As for audio, I'm using HD650 headphones with a X-Can V3 amplifier and an external DAC (Headroom Micro DAC).
http://www.onhifi.com/product/pics/sennheiser_hd650.jpg
http://www.colab.be/upload_images/products/occasions/xcanv3.jpg
Or sometimes I use JBL speakers I've (but these aren't that good :))

DeepMix
21st September 2009, 04:12 PM
well i just got a new tv 3 days ago :) im finally playing in HD

the tv is a LG 32" LH70 (Scarlet 2)
http://www.lcdtvreviews.org.uk/lg-lcd-tv/lg-lh70-lcd-television-the-new-face-of-scarlet-series-lg-lh70-lcd-television-the-new-face-of-scarlet-series/

and im using this pc speakers with subwoofers
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/231&cl=us,en

i dont have any photo yet

OBH
16th October 2009, 04:23 PM
Where the magic happens. :g
How can i lose with yoda and his raving glasses watching over me!

ProblemSolver
16th October 2009, 05:47 PM
... the tv is a LG 32" LH70 (Scarlet 2)
http://www.lcdtvreviews.org.uk/lg-lcd-tv/lg-lh70-lcd-television-the-new-face-of-scarlet-series-lg-lh70-lcd-television-the-new-face-of-scarlet-series/ ...
Thought spending my money for that one as well, but decided to go with
the girl right next to it. :D

Darkdrium777
16th October 2009, 08:56 PM
Pics or it didn't happen. :p

eLhabib
18th October 2009, 12:22 AM
Thought spending my money for that one as well, but decided to go with
the girl right next to it. :D

So, how much did that cost you? :P

ProblemSolver
18th October 2009, 12:34 AM
Pics or it didn't happen. :p
Are you full-aged already? ;)

@eLhabib: After getting dirty with her she actually paid me. :+

AurigaAB
1st January 2010, 07:03 PM
I'm looking into 1080p. It's my new year's resolution.

Xavier
2nd January 2010, 03:05 PM
I'm looking into 1080p. It's my new year's resolution.

For someone whose first language is presumably Spanish, I have to say "well played"! :+

Lance
3rd January 2010, 04:36 PM
And presumably, your first language is Japanese, Xavier? :g

AurigaAB
6th January 2010, 02:28 PM
google translate is getting better these days :nod

Koleax
9th January 2010, 07:26 AM
I've been catching up on the news for OLED displays from CES, and the rumors about an OLED multitouch tablet Mac coming from Apple in a couple weeks, so I think it's about time I mentioned that I play Wipeout HD on an 11" Sony XEL-1. When I get tired of the small screen, I have a very cheap 19" LCD from Polaroid (this is also what I use when making videos, since the XEL-1 is limited to 60 hz). Then when I get tired of that, I go back to the XEL-1 and it looks fantastic as ever.

Every time I go to Best Buy and look at the large 1080p displays, and think about how much I want the high resolution and immersive feeling of a huge TV, I just can't get over how they don't look as good as the XEL-1. Even the really expensive high end plasmas and LED-backlit LCDs now that cost four or five thousand dollars, I think they look kind of cheap.

I bought my XEL used off eBay so don't think I'm strutting around with money bags. :P I just can't wait until everything goes OLED. The experience of having an absolute black level, with zero light emission, really changed the way I look at a display. Say you have a picture of two lights against a black night. They actually look and feel like separate independent light sources, not like two parts of one image, and after all they actually are independent OLED light sources. Something as simple as playing Space Invaders on an OLED screen becomes something new and different, like you're looking at bugs on a table or something. Pac Man C.E. is like a haunted house on an OLED. All of a sudden I realized, "whoa... ghosts." lol

Well, I could write forever, but I can't wait for everything to be OLED. The new Apple tablet should be great and I'm saving up for when the iPhone makes the change.

Constrictor
11th January 2011, 07:35 AM
Well, maybe this thread is not exactly the right place but why start a new one when it nearly fits.

I'm currently in the decision making progress on my new home cinema / media room that should also act as a PS3 games playground.

Setup today is a 52" LCD . Distance to screen is some 3.2 meters (1 foot). There are two possible solutions for the projector and screen upgrade.

1. Keep the LCD and install a ceiling mounted motorized screen that lowers in front of the LCD when I'm in movie and TV mood. PS3 gaming will be mainly on the LCD. Pro: Keep the LCD and my gaming experience with this size. Con: Motorized screens tend to get wrinkles and are not exactly even or flat -> this sucks when watching movies. price. no (easy) masking.

2. Get rid of the LCD and install a ~110" wall mounted screen used for everything. Pro: perfectly flat. masking possible. One screen for all. The LCD will move to the living room. Con: Motion sickness (maybe)

Now, with 2. I see a problem when playing WOHD. I did this once at a friends and it didn't feel good. I got a little motion sickness esp. when I tried WOHD. 1st person shooters (i don't play that often) are not that bad for me.

Here's my question: Did anyone with a similar setup experienced some motion sickness at the beginning and over time adjusted to this feeling when playing on a big screen?

Constrictor
30th July 2011, 02:47 PM
Well, finally I did it. Last week I did a lot of home improvement. I got rid of the LCD and am now playing WOHD (besides watching movies and stuff) on a 100" projector + frame screen setup. The room is not yet optimized (walls and ceiling are still white and that's bad for a projector setup) but this is the next project.

It's near full immersive WOHD playing on this size @ 3.2 m distance, but to date I do not experience any motion sickness. Well, I think it's even better than on the 52" LCD.

trackripper
30th July 2011, 04:20 PM
Either on a 50" 3D TV, sometimes with the 3D effect on if I can be bothered :P Other times on a 100+" projector screen with a bass to potentially cause stomach pains :P

Colonel
30th July 2011, 04:27 PM
Wow Contrsictor, that must be immense.

Constrictor
30th July 2011, 06:40 PM
Hi Colonel,

yeah, it's impressive IMO. Though, I'm eager to get the wall and ceiling done. The reflections on the walls suck. Already ordered the black fabric and some carpentering (sp?) needs to be done.

Here're some show-off pics: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/album.php?albumid=330

@trackripper: Nice to hear I'm not the only one with a setup like this. And yes, the 5.x sound is nice. I really like the the sound of the cannon :g

Colonel
30th July 2011, 06:46 PM
Looks amazing, I'm envious. I bet watching films on it is great too.

trackripper
30th July 2011, 09:16 PM
@trackripper: Nice to hear I'm not the only one with a setup like this. And yes, the 5.x sound is nice. I really like the the sound of the cannon :g

Heh, all thanks to my dad, who's an avid classical music listener and all round technology fan, so all the HiFi stuff up there along with the projector screen is top-notch, making it an absolute joy to play games and watch films on :P The bass in the tracks on WipEout really push the subwoofer, surprised the neighbours haven't complained yet... Oh wait they already have, due to my piano practice though, not the booming bass... :P

blackwiggle
30th July 2011, 11:20 PM
As somebody who has built their own HT and changed it numerous times [on my 3rd PJ] here's a few tips that I can give looking at your setup as it is now.

Blinds won't really cut it for light-proofing that window along the side, it only takes the smallest light leak to wash out a portion of the projected image [even a bright LED on a piece of equipment can do it, especially blue LED's]
Get some curtains made lined with some rubberised 3 pass blockout material [1 and 2 pass don't work, it has to be 3 pass, it also stops the curtain material from fading], have it so that the curtains run slightly over either side of the window, also build a enclosed plenum over the top of the curtains, which will stop light leaks at the top of the curtains.

Wall colour, well black is best, but unless you intend to use that room solely as a HT it's impractical, if not outright depressing.
A Matt Purple is the next best colour for the walls, you should if possible [not absolutely necessary unless your PJ is coffee table mounted] treat at least a portion of the ceiling to counter the light being reflected back from the screen, measure the distance from the ceiling to the bottom of the screen,that will give you the distance of how far out into the room from the screen wall you need to go.
If you don't want to permanently colour the ceiling [or part of it] you can make adjustable one out of two lengths of curtain wire [one nearest the screen wall, the other out into the room at the measured distance, and as close to the ceiling as possible] running across the room with some dark material, like a sideways curtain.

I don't know if it's the photo, but your picture looks washed out.
Get a Video Calibration disc, or for a really basic calibration get any Sony Bluray disc and when at the menu enter 7669, a HD test patten will appear, use the black/grey graduated bars at the bottom right to get your contrast and brightness levels correct.
I personally think that anybody that builds their own HT should learn how to calibrate their equipment to 1] get the best out of it 2] be able to keep it at that level as the PJ's lamp changes colour over time/use.
You just need a PC, a Tripod and a Colour meter [around $200]and possibly how to get in the service menu of your PJ where all the really fine tuning controls usually reside .[A visit to the AVS forum will usually get that info for you, just do a search for your model PJ in the correct PJ sub forum list on the left]
http://www.avsforum.com/
This site explains the procedure and the software is free.[Best site on the internet for anything PJ related]
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Your speakers are positioned exactly at the place where you would expect to get room corner bass reinforcement [can be really bad if you have a sparsely furnished/reflective hard surfaces room, which can make things get overwhelmingly bass boomy and swamp over the other frequencies making listening to dialogue problematic.
You might want to build some small bass traps to put behind them in the corners, this should tame that problem and is a simple and cheap remedy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyYUpkpL0gw

siriusglee
31st July 2011, 07:19 AM
I use a 24" HDMI Gateway monitor that I bought on a whim and at very little cost due to the fact that it had enough inputs to support my all of my gaming habits. Right now, for e.g., I am waiting for a 10 lap race to end on Wipeout HD so I can join in, but only 'waiting' in the sense that I'm using some red mushrooms on Mario Kart Wii through the component input.

I delegate to my lil bro to do the HT stuff. He's got it all set up, complete with a racing wheel and all. Whenever I go his place there has to be this massive re-arrangement of furniture so I can sit closer to the screen -- otherwise it will just seem like he's always winning all the races.

Constrictor
31st July 2011, 08:33 AM
Hey blackwiggle!

THX for the hints. I'm still in the process getting the room and myself :) optimized. That's for both optics (I will use 300 grams black 'Molton' for the walls and 150 grams for the ceiling - this stuff is used at stage setups and not that expensive) and acoustics (need some absorbers for the 1st reflection and a few other things, too). Though, I measured the acoustics before the projector was mounted and it was ok - IMO. I have some problems in the 90 Hz range and somewhere else. As for the bass traps I will go the CBA way here:

http://www.ibp.fraunhofer.de/en/Expertise/Acoustics/Room_Acoustics/

Ah, the photos. Yeah, they suck. esp. after reseizing them. It doesn't look that bad :g Calibration will be done when the walls are black. I already got the BD images from the avs forum.

And in general: I'm still learning. And this is an evolutionary process. As for the start I'm quite happy, esp. as the pj is somewhat low-end (Epson TW 3200)

blackwiggle
31st July 2011, 09:47 AM
There's a couple of other things you need to consider.

1] Airflow in the HT- Things can get real hot real quick in a light controlled room with all the equipment and a few people in it that doesn't have air conditioning, or some sort of ventilation.
This is seldom considered in peoples first HT build and can absolutely ruin an otherwise excellent set up, I know this from first hand experience, plus living in Australia's heat can compound this problem 200%.

2] DUST - I strongly recommend that you reconsider having the walls clad in that black material as it will cause so much dust you just won't be able to deal with it.
Save yourself the frustration, just don't do it.
Go with paint, you can always paint a room white again and it's cheaper than replacing PJ's & and other electronic equipment [ getting in disc players argghh!]

Your PJ at least will surely have it's air filter clog up within a few months if you use the material, and they are not cheap to replace.
A good trick is to cut out a type of window frame shape out of cardboard and tape two layers of pantihose material to it to work as a pre dust filter, filter.
Just tape that to where the air vents are.
Then you have the problem of getting dust blown onto the deflection block by the lamps fan, which will result in ghastly projected dust spots, and it's and absolute bastard to get out [Never use canned air on a PJ, it just blows any crap even further into places you probably won't be able to remove it from unless you totally dismantle it], plus you have the real danger of scratching it while getting it in and out to clean it.
[I had a free first service on my Sony PJ when I first got it, I took it in and when I got it back found that they had badly scratched my deflection block on a 12 week old PJ, it cost them $800 to replace, and they were supposed to be the experts]

Don't let people smoke in the HT either [I'm a reformed smoker], that yellow greasy smoke will coat everything, it will do it slowly and you won't notice it, then one day you will wipe something and just be appalled by the layer of crap that has coated your gear.

3] Surge suppression - Often overlooked but can save you costly replacement PJ lamps.

It's a lot easier setting up a HT with a modern digital PJ than when I first started out.
You should of seen the amount of work it used to be to set up the old 3 tubed CRT PJ's, they used to drift out of whack so you had to know how to set them up from scratch...:rolleyes:

siriusglee
31st July 2011, 10:26 AM
I think (think), given Blackwiggle's latest post, it may be possible to now have sex in Wipeout HD. I mean, during the game itself, with acceptable results. Blackwiggle provides a lot of technical knowledge that we love him for, and yes, with a small amount of velcro, she and I will be flying together soon in a theater near you.

Constrictor
31st July 2011, 10:27 AM
Well, these things are really worth considering. I think I'll need to learn ...

I read a lot about a separated tech-room, but this will not work for me. AC might be an option if temperatures will have a negative impact. Currently the Summer sucks :D btw, it's for the time being a two-seater, non smoking setup and normally I watch in ECO mode .. .

Ah, yeah, the dust thing. Very nasty from what I read and you seconded. THX! OK, I'll check this regarding the material. As with the PJ filters there's a rule of thumb to clean these every 200 to 300 hours for the EPSONs and switch to normal lamp mode (from ECO) for at least 1 h to 'clean' the lamps glass. And thx for this DIY pre filter. Sounds good.

As with surge suppression you mean electric surges? Well, here in GY we do have some interesting legal rules for electrical home installation that include fast and very fast fault current fuses and other stuff. Only time I had a problem with that was during analogue telephone times (early 90s) when a nearby lightning fried my Zyxel Modem. And finally I do have an insurance for/against that :g

Well, I think we'd move this to some HT forum.

THX again for the hints!

@siriusglee: Err, WTF? LOL!

siriusglee
31st July 2011, 11:12 AM
I'm watching episodes of The Universe, interspersed with bouts of Wipeout HD. Mostly halmless.

blackwiggle
31st July 2011, 01:09 PM
The heat creeps up on you.
You can be sitting there happily watching a movie, then about 20 minutes in the room hits around 24-25C and then will shoot up to really uncomfortable in very short time.
That's another reason for the curtains with 3 pass block-out material.
You can leave the windows open so some air gets in behind them, but no light will.
I always use Eco mode.
If your room is light controlled there is no need, other than personal preference, to use normal or high modes, plus it preserves the lamp life, if not just the colour fidelity longer, the high pressure sodium lamps all will show a very sudden loss in this regard once you hit 300 hours use.
You have to be careful running them much longer than their recommended lifetime as they can violently explode, taking the PJ out with them.:frown:
Same with sudden power surges, that's been known to cause them to explode as well.

That's one of a few differences with digital PJ's over the old 3 tube CRT ones.
The old CRT PJ's are low light output and you couldn't play games on them for any length of time, any static image like the Wipeout HUD would be permanently burn the image into the tubes.
But the old CRT PJ's have a huge contrast range, many thousand times better than digital PJ's, and the lamps lasted 20000 hours +, I've still got a NEC CRT PJ sitting behind me as I'm typing, with a complete set of NOS replacement tubes ready to be fitted, but it's a 65kg beast, runs hotter & nosier than the digital, and you have to have it set at an exact distance from the screen.

They way I've got my set-up atm is as a 3 bay window in my lounge room, curtains with 3 pass block out close across them making the room light tight.
I then have a motorized screen come down in front of the curtains.
Some old photos of how it was about 18 months or so ago.

Too much gear at my place with having separate HT surround and HiFi/stereo systems plus other gear you can't see, and it's only got worse since when these photos were taken, I intend to simplify everything down to one system probably using the new Primare amplification once they sort out the added modules with the DAC's etc, then I'll work on clearing out the other systems in the other rooms....yes there's more.:redface::brickwall

MyNameIsBom
1st August 2011, 10:51 AM
I don't even have a set up.... as some of you already know I dont have a ps3. ( You probably knew from that dramatic post I posted ) But I play on my mates ps3, I can't wait until I get mine, I will constantly be playing online 24/7, ok that's a slight over-exaggeration.. LOL

Hope to race you all in the future ;)

Constrictor
1st August 2011, 11:08 AM
Hi blackwiggle!

That looks good. I like the masking and colors of the frontsetup. And let me second your plan to simplify your equipment :D .

btw, you got a motorized tension screen? You happy with that; it's plain?

blackwiggle
1st August 2011, 11:41 AM
I nearly fell for the "Sell" by Stewart Screens saying that all drop down screens need to be tensioned.
That might be true if there is nothing immediately behind them to stop them flapping about.
But as you can see, I have curtains that are lined with 3 pass block out.
These stop any flapping about, and the need for screen tensioning

At the time those photos were taken it was around 10.30 am.
The window faces due East, the SUN would of been shining directly through that window big time.
[I should take a photo so you can see the view of the SCG and it's surrounds, actually I should do a panorama so all can see Sydney as I wake up to it every day, something to do later ]
But due to the 3 pass block out and curtains it appears as a light controlled room.

I use wide strips of Masonite covered in black velvet as variable screen masking.
It's a separate entity to the screen, and basically floats slightly above it.
I can alter the Masking as needed to the aspect ratio of the image being projected.

Told you I've been doing this for years. ;)

NX-01
1st August 2011, 06:44 PM
55 inch Samsung LED with 5.1 dolby "Onkyo receiver & Polk Audio surround system" Would love to have a 3D plasma just for WipeOut HD :rock Maybe for Christmas :nod

trackripper
1st August 2011, 06:47 PM
I have to say, the 3D effect is damn good. :P

NX-01
1st August 2011, 07:49 PM
Yes! Saw the WipeOuT HD demo on a 55 inch Sony LED and was blow away with the 3D effects. To bad you must wear the glasses to achieve the end results. :blarg

trackripper
1st August 2011, 09:41 PM
Well, the glasses are really a small price to pay :P Plus if you don't you get that fake nauseous 3D effect which the Nintendo 3DS has. Bad.