PDA

View Full Version : An idea...

bik3rluke
6th July 2009, 01:16 PM
Has anyone ever suggested having a normal WipEout race but without contact? Many racing games have this option and I think it'd work well in WipEout.

I am sick and tired of taking the correct line around a corner, only for someone else to pile drive into me whilst the other 6 ships zoom past me and then all proceed to lay mines and bombs directly after. :o

Also, I'm not sure if anyone is aware, but the contact system is NOT accurate. I was racing with my step-dad (xTHORGODx) side-by-side on holiday and we were purposely avoiding contact with each other. On my screen I had flown past him and wasn't touching him what-so-ever, but on his screen I was next to him and was contentiously colliding with him. A lot of the contact with other ships won't actually be on purpose.

So, how about an option to turn collides off?

leungbok
6th July 2009, 01:30 PM
Exactly the thing i hate the most online (f****g ramming !).

kanar
6th July 2009, 01:32 PM
Well the only way to avoid contact is to set your region settings to korea or Australia for example, when you're living in europe. Something of this kind happened to us last saturday; I joined kyoto, then after a bunch of races he let me the host. I kept it & hosted laggy ghost races lol. Definitely not a good solution though. I agree with you, I would be glad to turn the collisions off, regarding the PING differences we all have, and the way the predictive code handle these collisions. Most of the ramming is not on purpose.

dobyblue
6th July 2009, 01:35 PM
I was just mentioning this yesterday in the online chat with Kanar, Zor, etc., etc.

Collusions are the bane of my existence and I am sure it happens more because I'm in Canada racing mostly Euro's. I don't know, but I would friggin' LOVE to see that option in the game.

Mu5
6th July 2009, 02:36 PM
A 'hologram' race mode would be well cool ;) :+

silverfoxy
6th July 2009, 02:46 PM
But these races wouldn't be the same without bumping, ramming and lag.

Would they ?? ................

:lol

Rapier Racer
6th July 2009, 02:53 PM
The weapons would still work in this mode yes?

RedScar
6th July 2009, 02:54 PM
Posted this in the "Small Changes" thread in the WO Future, but ya I am completely behind this.

bik3rluke
6th July 2009, 04:13 PM
The weapons would still work in this mode yes?
Yep, I can't see any reason why not.

PLazarou
6th July 2009, 04:38 PM
I was going to make a new topic about this but my query is fairly relevant here...

Why is it that more often than not, if someone contacts me going at a similar speed, we get sort of stuck together until I'm rammed into wall and the other person gets ahead? (Along with several others usually)

It seems to happen far too often with me. I'm comfortably in the top three, and then suddenly I'm last because I've just become stuck to someone else. It's so frustrating. How does everyone else deal with it? Am I using a weak ship? Am I supposed to side-shift out of the stickyness? Maybe the game favours the ship with the more stable internet connection?

Handmadelion
6th July 2009, 06:10 PM
I doubt it's glitching, but when a ****ing harimau sideshifts into you and it takes your health from full to zero and eliminates you, it kinda kills the fun of the race. This ship-raping in WOHD, for me, has given me the most accurate prison-life experience I'm likely to get.

lunar
6th July 2009, 06:34 PM
I definitely support this idea if the ramming problems can`t be improved. I like to think that ships should actually be able to hit other ships because that is more realistic and challenging, but nothing takes the fun away from the game more than flying the most efficient line only to be banged off the course, or to be serially wall slammed into elimination by other pilots :(

I don`t believe that the situation can`t be made better though, with keeping collisions in. On Xlink Kai, which was a completely unnoficial and bodged way of playing online with Pure, the ramming was never this bad. I`m sure there must be a way to make it less of a pain without resorting to hologram ships, but if not then I think we definitely need it.

And why not have the option anyway? Pure had it for the TT races, but I would prefer to have (less damaging) collisions on for a more full-blooded race generally. :banzai

Darkdrium777
6th July 2009, 07:47 PM
I've said this since the beginning. There needs to be an option for all ships to be ghosts, because the predictive code used is the worst I've seen in a game so far (Bar The Darkness (http://www.2kgames.com/thedarkness/local.htm).) Ship ramming is the reason I don't play online so much, physics and handling seem to be screwed around with once you hit online races.

nexusc
7th July 2009, 02:52 AM
to me, racing without collisions kinda defeats the purpose.. when you are racing, the best line is not always the best option!

however i do think they should reduce the amount of "ram" damage that's done, and make it occur to both craft (if it doesn't already work that way) - "nose kills" are a bit of a joke...

bik3rluke
7th July 2009, 10:41 AM
Yes, I'd agree, but there's so much lag that the person doesn't even know he's colliding with you... So in that sense, it's completely luck and no skill. It should be removed if it cannot be fixed/improved.

For the record, I'm on 20mB Virgin Media cable in London. xTHORGODx is on 8mB ADSL and his is a LOT worse.

Rapier Racer
7th July 2009, 11:23 AM
Virgin Media and their cable broadband products don't have a good reputation in this area. I've also experience first hand how poor they are.

chboing
7th July 2009, 01:02 PM
because the predictive code used is the worst I've seen in a game so far

lol :) come on darkdrium, be serious...

i sometimes have some ramming problems but nothing really awful
and once you understood the inside of a turn is the place to be when there are many people, you have no problems at all.

infoxicated
7th July 2009, 01:36 PM
But these races wouldn't be the same without bumping, ramming and lag.
WRC04 had online play where although you started at the exact same time as the other players, you played against their ghosts. It was intense - I really liked it. :)

Amorbis
7th July 2009, 01:51 PM
OutRun Online Arcade has an option to turn collisions off and it works very well, if not better with them off, although OutRun was always meant to be a single player game. If you do play with collisions on then it really messes it up if for instance one player has terrible lag and takes you out with one big swipe due to the lack of position prediction.

I'd say it's similar for WipEout HD. Even though the other ships are meant to be able to ram and collide the lag ruins it. The option to turn collisions off would really help a few people. I'd still race with collisions in a weapons race but without weapons I'd almost certainly turn collisions off most of the time.

As Rapier Racer mentioned, I also dislike Virgin Media's internet services. A bit of a whinge from me but I used to use Virgin Media's ADSL service, it was the most pitiful connection feasible. Their 20 kilobytes a second speeds were worse than the dial up I used to use. Their staff weren't very helpful either. I'd rather not use their services again :cold.

silverfoxy
7th July 2009, 02:06 PM
I was trying to be sarcastic about the ramming before. I think Amorbis has summed it up perfectly IMO.

With regards to Virgin I use them but we were previously Blue Yonder then NTL. Connection here is always pretty decent. I'm on the L package. I don't know if it makes any difference or not but most people round here use Cable broadband as they made a real effort a few years back with their services (BlueYonder).

Another avenue I explored with the ramming issue was opening my ports and enabling my DMZ. The only game I absolutely have to do this for to be able to play online is PES (if you don't enable DMZ it won't let you connect). Tried this the other night on Wipeout (during Avalon) and if anything it made it worse and BRs were less responsive.

There do seem to be more and more people online lately and maybe all this extra demand is making collisions worse.

I'm no expert on all of this but thought I would put my views forward more explicitly than previously.

Darkdrium777
7th July 2009, 06:16 PM
lol :) come on darkdrium, be serious...I am serious. I'm a big FPS player and if ever we had the precision of WipEout HD's prediction code in any of those FPS games it would simply be unplayable online (See: The Darkness). There's no excuse like "oh it's only a racing game so it doesn't need to be as precise"... yes it does! Motorstorm, a launch title for the PS3, has better prediction code than this... I'm telling you, make the prediction code better and more precise and you wouldn't have any problems at all with ship lag.
It was fine on the PSP because it's a small console, but for the PS3 I find it's absolutely ridiculous. :( WipEout deserves better.

Handmadelion
7th July 2009, 08:21 PM
It was fine on the PSP because it's a small console, but for the PS3 I find it's absolutely ridiculous. :( WipEout deserves better.

And it will be on the actual Wipeout game for ps3 that comes out on disc. I'm sure. This is just something to wet our whistles with, I think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wipeout_PS3

If there are no such plans for a game, and they are just going to keep playing with this game for several more years, well then isn't that a shame. ;)

dobyblue
7th July 2009, 08:54 PM
And it will be on the actual Wipeout game for ps3 that comes out on disc. I'm sure.

Is there really going to be a disc version?
:hyper

Darkdrium777
8th July 2009, 12:52 AM
I wouldn't believe everything written on Wikipedia.

eLhabib
8th July 2009, 04:33 AM
As a matter of fact, I wouldn't believe anything written on Wikipedia.

And I am 99% sure that there are no plans whatsoever for a 'next' WipEout game (which is not an expansion to HD) as of yet.

Connavar
8th July 2009, 09:42 AM
Well the best solution is to FIX the netcode ... maybe ask the Resistance guys.
I wouldn't like the game without collisions, I mean it's part of the intensity
of a race, otherwise let's just play TT.
What they can also do is decrease the ramming effect.

ProblemSolver
8th July 2009, 10:22 AM
... I wouldn't believe anything written on Wikipedia.
Fully signed. :nod

afatsuoM
8th July 2009, 12:56 PM
This article contains information about an unreleased video game, and may change substantially as more information becomes available. Please do not add speculation to this article, and remember to cite a published source when adding information.

Seems to me the entire page is speculative.

PLazarou
8th July 2009, 03:04 PM
That Wikipedia entry was created back when HD was just a proof of concept (a bit like Gran Turismo HD Concept - the free download before Prologue) but it turned into a much more significant project.

The amount of time SL have put into HD and the upcoming DLC indicates that HD has become the major Wipeout title for PS3.

It's highly unlikely that this is just a taster for a larger retail product.

G'Kyl
8th July 2009, 03:58 PM
Back to topic: Just one more thought here. Am I the only one who'd like to turn collisions off for the sole reason that the respective physics model seems inappropriate to begin with? I mean those ships are, what, 15 meters long? Then why do they feel like 10 grams toys?

Apart from that: Yes, I totally wanna turn it off, because I think even a weapons on race against ghosts would feel more "right" than it does now.

Ben

Kyonshi
8th July 2009, 04:39 PM
to me, racing without collisions kinda defeats the purpose.. when you are racing, the best line is not always the best option!

Errm... Actually, it is. I got lot of experience in WipEout games and i can adopt a fairly decent racing line in WOHD most of the time, which can give someone a hard time catching up to me, even with Turbos and A-P. But i've been racing against players who use a far better line than me, they can literally shave whole seconds off me in a finger snap. So it is the best option, like most of any racing games out there! :)

Secondly, i agree with you, collisions in racing games are an important part of the gameplay. But in WOHD, its screwed up!!! This crap makes me go angrier than a set of Mines and Bombs dropped right into my face, and that's saying a lot xD The minute someones barely contacts my ship, i go drifting into a wall, just like cops when you see them trying to make lose control to a fugitive on the street...

So the best solution remains to be an option to turn collisions off, unless SL is able in some unexplained way to correct the situation and lag...

Kyonshi
8th July 2009, 04:56 PM

Kyonshi
8th July 2009, 05:03 PM
Back to topic: Just one more thought here. Am I the only one who'd like to turn collisions off for the sole reason that the respective physics model seem unappropriate to begin with? I mean those ships are, what, 15 meters long? Then why do they feel like 10 grams toys?

That was exactly my thoughts about this issue.

Let's say you take Auricom. This ship has a low coefficient of turning ability, its feels heavy. So if it has a lot of weight and mass to move around, it should actually be considered a heavy ship in WOHD physics, and having it ramming you with such mass and consequently gathering lots of velocity should send you disintegrating in a wall nearby.

Take this concept in account and apply it to Feisar. Being so swift would mean that the Feisar is the lightest ship around, no? It would be build taking in account that most materials should be light-weight to assure quick navigation when racing, right? It also means that Feisar cannot logically gather as much velocity as Auricom can, right? If all of this makes sense, at the best of my knowledge, THEN WHY THE HELL A FEISAR CAN RAM ME INTO A WALL LIKE IT WEIGHTS 50 TONS AND MY AURICOM IS MADE OUT OF PAPER?!?!?? >=(

Mateo
8th July 2009, 05:53 PM
@GKyl: I don't think they're that long, compare it to the pilot or the cockpit-cupola (don't know if it's called like this).

I'm not a fan of ghost races. This would take out much of the intense of races (at least from weapons on races). A much better solution would be to improve the code for online races.