PDA

View Full Version : Cheating online?

spinstartshere
3rd July 2009, 01:27 PM
Is it possible to use cheats when playing online?

MrSmadSmartAlex
3rd July 2009, 01:54 PM
Why, are you thinking of using some?:lol ;)

Yes, there were a few cheating players in the past, and maybe the odd one or two now. I can't understand why anybody would bother. It's not like they can achieve a real win, or impress anybody (except hackers maybe?). Have you seen something suspicious while playing online?

spinstartshere
3rd July 2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I've seen one or two players in the past and one today, whose abilities, if I'm to be perfectly honest, were too rigid and predictable. Why haven't the people at Sony done anything to lock it down? It's really quite annoying, especially when a cheat is the only person you can play with. If I wanted to play against logical perfection, I would play on my own.

Rapier Racer
3rd July 2009, 02:19 PM
It takes too much time and money to crack down on cheating I guess, also its Pulse on the PSP so don't expect anyone at Sony to care about that now, its all about HD, and I'm not complaining about that at all.

MrSmadSmartAlex
3rd July 2009, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I've seen one or two players in the past and one today, whose abilities, if I'm to be perfectly honest, were too rigid and predictable.

Now that's not necessarily cheating. Could just be somebody having practiced their lines well. Pulse's physics allows pretty consistent race times. Often to within half a second.
Cheaters are more likely to use something like infinite leech beam, or always have a shield on.

spinstartshere
3rd July 2009, 02:36 PM
I don't just mean the way they navigate the track, I mean the way they always manage to come up alongside and then right past me, and how once they've overtaken me by a second it's impossible to catch up. It's not a gradual speed increase, either; more of a sudden burst.

Rapier Racer
3rd July 2009, 04:22 PM
Infinite turbo sounds like the criminal, I raced a guy doing that once quite amusing at phantom, didn't work out for him what with those pesky walls constantly getting in the way.

MrSmadSmartAlex
3rd July 2009, 04:33 PM
:lol:lol Constant turbo at Phantom!! Great idea!:banzai
I think this problem is lag though, making the ship appear to jump forward and backward on track. Makes it hard to get a weapons lock, but it's not "cheating", as it's just a bad connection.
Then again, maybe there are still cheaters lurking online...

archman
3rd July 2009, 06:36 PM
I was once pissed off at infafa about that he is the cheat, but he wasn't (in that way). It was like he absorbed twice on the section where there were no pads. But it's just a lag. Happens nowadays, too, with non cheaters. It's just that they absorb when they are very near a pad, that's all...

ACE-FLO
12th July 2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I've seen one or two players in the past and one today, whose abilities, if I'm to be perfectly honest, were too rigid and predictable.

can you elaborate on who it was? so we know who to look out for and see if they display any strange racing traits.... then report back here!!!

NightArh
13th July 2009, 10:59 AM
Sony decided do not implement Trophy System (as in PS3) because of hacked PSP System which allows to use cheats... It's a pity! :frown:

ACE-FLO
13th July 2009, 12:44 PM
Come to think of it - has anyone actually come across online cheats here???

Coz when I first started playing online - I was so rubbish, I thought a lot of pilots were using cheats. Especially Infaxsu, who would seem to do the most amazing things like "backquake" lol (which is not cheating - just risky)

Anyway, Pulse allows for a pretty steep learning curve, which, once you've adequately mastered, begs of you to test your new found skills online. Only when I got there (online) I found pilots to be like at least 3 times as good as I was, until I started to play online only, and started to pick up certain maneuvers, and perfecting my game became a lil second nature (I'm still not perfect)... Now, I'm, guessing that if a noob was to join my game, and he/she got beat with like 15-20 seconds to spare (maybe even getting lapped lol), they would probably feel like I first did when this happened to me and brand me a cheat / get discouraged and not play... not purchase any future wipeout titles... etc

Besides, this Pulse scene is a pretty small one at the moment, and all pilots have raced eachother at some point, I guess. I don't think there are any cheaters here on this scene...

The good thing is - that with Pulse going Platinum and being available for download from Playstation store - I have seen many more noob pilots playing online.

I do have a request here though, let's not noob bash them please, instead, let's try encourage them to do better - so in future, we have a bigger, better scene. Let's create rooms like "Wanna Learn ?" and host a track like Moa T with weps off from Venom (1st race) Flash (2nd race) Rapier (3rd race) and Phantom (4th race) then move to venom again, to show the noobs that by doing the same track - over all 4 speed classes, now they are back to venom - they can see progress... the fear is gone!!! And shows them that the Wipeout community, is not a selfish one, but a very special community indeed!

We all want real comptetiiton, it's up to us to create it...

Aeroracer
13th July 2009, 01:33 PM
Wow if only all gaming communities were like this.

archman
13th July 2009, 02:06 PM
...Let's create rooms like "Wanna Learn ?" and host a track like Moa T with weps off from Venom (1st race) Flash (2nd race) Rapier (3rd race) and Phantom (4th race) then move to venom again, to show the noobs that by doing the same track - over all 4 speed classes, now they are back to venom - they can see progress...

Maybe better to tell them to actually practice the game offline?
lol

NightArh
13th July 2009, 02:23 PM
yes but competition with real racers is more exciting ;)
lets create games with this name "wipeoutzone" to invite them here

ACE-FLO
13th July 2009, 02:27 PM
Maybe better to tell them to actually practice the game offline?
lol

Good point - if you're telepathic Arch!!!! LOL

My reason for what I wrote - It shows these noobs that we are not cheats - we play the game fair and square - and also demonstrates to them the level of progress they can hope to achieve. No personal gain here Arch, just spreading some "positive aura" around the scene - pardon me for using your terminology lol

archman
13th July 2009, 02:40 PM
Well, all I can say is good luck in making that real. I doubt that many noobs are there anyway. This scene is almost dead. And it's a matter of months when the servers are going down. I'm ok with this crew nowadays. We will have some tourneys for sure this summer. I'll prepare something from tomorrow as I'll be completely (I hope) free from everything. If any new players wanna join, welcome, but I'm not gonna waste my time in "helping someone to walk". I'm ok with organizing. Takes enough time already.

Good luck.

ACE-FLO
13th July 2009, 02:54 PM
Cheers bud, I think I spend more hours in the evening lurking the servers than you do, so yeah, this responsibilty suits me fine - I dont mind helping someone to "walk" as you put it... besides Arch, I have already started to help, with my new noob duplicate account (raised eyebrows here???) and yeah, there have been some noobs joining so you never know dude!!! you just never know!!!

MrSmadSmartAlex
13th July 2009, 04:12 PM
I think it's good to encourage new racers to stick with it. But while I'm quite happy to help by discussing lines, barrel rolls, etc. on here, I'm not going to race slow online, or do Venom - I don't have a lot of time to play, and I want to enjoy it when I do. I'd rather play TT if there's no tight Phantom races to be had online.
Also, I think it really comes down to hardcore practice.

btw - I saw your noob-training rooms online a few days ago, ACE. Nice job.;)

ACE-FLO
13th July 2009, 04:27 PM
This scene is almost dead. And it's a matter of months when the servers are going down.
Good luck.

Yeah, that's what I thought at first but - they realeased Pulse on Playstation store very recently as I mentioned earlier - so somehow I don't think the servers will be going down...

... Smad - you saw? Cheers bud! I wans't noob bashing - promise! lol nah, It's hard coz though I slow down each lap to let em catch up and follow lines, they just think its a competition and wanna go try overtake - NOT HAPPENING!

However, there are a few noobs who actually "get it" and stay - but it's more the exception than the rule!

I agree - it's more a matter of hardcore practice! But, I'll still host the Noob training rooms when there's no one online worth really racing...

Small request though Smad! - If you see me host one of these rooms again, and it's only me in it - join then leave - I'll then join your room for some hardcore sessions!

NightArh
13th July 2009, 05:05 PM
We should to ask SL to add message with advertisement in the game while connecting online with following content: "Please visit www.wipeoutzone.com to find useful related information in the best Wipeout community ever!" and the message: "Cheating is a crime in all countries! Be careful!" :hyper

Lance
13th July 2009, 05:29 PM
Be careful to not get caught, do you mean? ;)
It probably should just say: "Don't cheat." It's bad for your karma and your chances at the state of mind called nirvana or at being inducted to 'Heaven' become severely restricted. :D

NightArh
13th July 2009, 05:32 PM
Sure! It is a good warning message ;)

ACE-FLO
13th July 2009, 05:33 PM
lool, inbetween load times, there should be a notice which pops up which reads "Cheating is good, if you can win whilst cheating, but with seriously talented pilots here, you're better off learning the game - coz you may at risk of getting beaten - and that's gotta suck for your MOJO" LOL