PDA

View Full Version : Naming the Turns

QjonPL
21st June 2009, 08:38 PM
In Formula 1, legendary turns on classic tracks (such as Monaco street course or Spa in Belgium) have their own names (for example Bus Stop on Spa).
Did anyone think about giving names for some corners in Wipeout HD? The classic ones, like hairpin corner on Chenghou etc

Maybe we can try to name some of these to make them even more legendary? :hyper

chboing
21st June 2009, 08:44 PM
ace idea, i'll think about it :)
i'll sum all propositions for you here:

VinetaK
First corner :
-The Big Dipper
caves:
-the clutter caves
last left before the final straight (and after the drop):
-the bucket

Anulpha pass
narrow section after bump
-bottleneck

Moa therma
small dent on the magstrip of Moa Therma:
-Parking Lane

Chenghou Project
The long sloped corner at the end of the first straight on Chenghou Project:
-Bollocks Bend
Hairpin:
-Chuck Norris (cause it kicks your ass with a roundhouse)
-The Wallgrinder
-Mono-Star

-centrifuge

Metropia
corner that leads immediately onto the mag strip on Metropia :
-pre/post magstrip
-Bastards Bend
Magstrip:
-Roller coaster

Sebenco climb
first turn :
-Steven Seagal (not chuck norris, but still kicks your ass if ur not ready for it)
awful banked turn on Sebenco after the descend on forward
-the cave grinder
-Nosedive
zigzag section:
-Sea Sick

Ubermall
chicane which is usually cutted with turbo and BRs
-pot of Petunias
chicane on ubermall too, with the cat near it:
-cat section

sol2
-double whirl
Last chicane of Sol2:
-Stin Way

-----------------------------------------------

VinetaK R
First cave :
-SaturnĀ“s Cave

-the clutter caves

Anulpha pass R

Moa therma R
The lefthand corner on Moa rev going into the loop:
-loop skipper twill
small dent on the magstrip of Moa Therma:
-Parking Lane

chenghou project R

metropia R
The blind chicane after the magstrip
-Zatoichi

Sebenco climb R
awful banked turn on Sebenco before the ascend on reverse
-the cave grinder

ubermall R
chicane which is usually cutted with turbo and BRs
-pot of Petunias
chicane on ubermall too, with the cat near it:
-cat section

sol2 R
-double whirl

QjonPL of course, you can take this and keep it updated in 1st post, maybe it'll be better ;)

Spece2goin
21st June 2009, 09:32 PM
i propose :
-the "pre/post magstrip" in Metropia.
-the "mall chicane" in ubermall which is usually cutted with turbo and BRs... and just cutted on reverse.
-the "cat section" : chicane on ubermall too, with the cat near it.

i could have many other ideas with time.

eLhabib
21st June 2009, 10:00 PM
Agree on the cat chicane.
The other one on Ubermall, I call the pot of Petunias ;)

The blind chicane after the magstrip on Metropia R I call Zatoichi - figure that one out by yourselves :P
Then there is that awful banked turn on Sebenco (after the descend on forward, before the ascend on reverse) which I call the cave grinder.
Then of course there is the bottleneck at Anulpha, the centrifuge at Chenghou, and the double whirl at Sol2.

Other than that I have no distinct names for parts of track...

Hellfire_WZ
21st June 2009, 10:10 PM
Bollocks Bend - The long sloped corner at the end of the first straight on Chenghou Project. So called because it's a miracle if I don't shout "BOLLOCKS!" at least once when tackling it.

ProblemSolver
21st June 2009, 10:13 PM
I'm always wondering why SL haven't done this already. They gave names
to buildings, etc (http://www.WipEoutHD.com)., but not directly to any turn. Well, I think SL should officially
label all the turns in the future. We may provide some good names over here.

AnErare
21st June 2009, 10:50 PM
Nice idea, I've seen a few giving casual names to sections around the threads but this is the real thing, almost ;)

The lefthand corner on Moa rev going into the loop: "loop skipper twill" because one can easily fall off the track through the right side if you fail to catch the magstrip, or thanks to AkFurtif: actually skipping the entire loop :D

The lefthander on Metropia rev onto the 2nd last straight with the dip in the middle: "speedpadshifter." This because when shifting into it one can shift right onto the speedpad but especially because by shifting you can pass opponents easily as if there was another pad.

The caves on both Vineta's: "the clutter caves." No matter what you're on, weapons or non-weapons races they always fill up and mess with a lot of ships :P

RedScar
21st June 2009, 11:48 PM
Chuck Norris - CP Hairpin (cause it kicks your ass with a roundhouse)
Steven Seagal - SC first turn (not chuck norris, but still kicks your ass if ur not ready for it)
Sea Sick - SC zig zag (trying to draw a straight line but was sea sick)
Nosedive - SC right turn after long downhill (Since I always ****ing bang off the ground)

Frances_Penfold
21st June 2009, 11:52 PM
awesome idea :)

I'm not a good candidate for naming the curves though, they would all be like...

"shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiitttttttt dammitdammitdammit"

and

"arrrrrrghghhhhghghghghhggh"

YouAreFubar
22nd June 2009, 12:03 AM
Good thread, the difficulty is going to be getting everyone to agree on one specific name per corner..... I think some kind of poll will be needed for that.

The hairpin on Chengou should be 'The Wallgrinder' or 'No Chance, Your Not Getting Through This Unschathed, Especially If There Is More Than One Of You' or 'No Chance' for short. On a more serious note, the first corner on Vineta forward could be 'The Big Dipper'...

KIGO1987
22nd June 2009, 12:29 AM
Lol, already named a turn on a famous Pulse track.

On Arc Prime White and Black, there is a corner just of the main straight where the are no shoulders on it, a ship can fly off the edge quite easily.

Its called Leungbok Bend. As when racing on Arc Prime last year that was Leungbok kriptonite in the game.

OBH
22nd June 2009, 01:20 AM
"the bucket" for VK last left before the final straight (and after the drop). Dont know why, but always pictured that corner as dropping into a bucket :)

blackwiggle
22nd June 2009, 01:30 AM
The corner that leads immediately onto the mag strip on Metropia forward I call Bastards Bend.
Drives me nuts.

ProblemSolver
22nd June 2009, 02:01 AM
Play some ZONE on Metropia and you will laugh about that corner once you
go back to normal racing. For sure, this corner is difficult in ZONE mode, but
the insight you get will help you in normal racing. Ah you don't play ZONE ...
bad dat is. ;)

blackwiggle
22nd June 2009, 02:21 AM
I don't play zone because of the size of my screen, 2.2m across,the screen flashing does my head in ,it can be like standing directly in front of a strobe light, and I really can't be bothered changing video cables to the smaller TV.

Same reason I don't like driving in the real world,if the sun is strobing through a succession of trees I can have micro blackouts.
Some people are more susceptible to this than others I suppose.:frown:

KIGO1987
22nd June 2009, 02:42 AM
Bastard Bends on Metropia, lol. I called them that for a bit on Pulse.

Avenger2197
22nd June 2009, 03:12 AM
You could call the hairpin on Chengou "Mono-Star", as probably only 1% of pilots can make it around that corner at least somewhat cleanly.:lol It would fit with the mono-rail system right above it;)

ProblemSolver
22nd June 2009, 03:42 AM
@blackwiggle
2.2m? Awesome!

... Same reason I don't like driving in the real world, if the sun is strobing through a succession of trees I can have micro blackouts. ...
You potentially suffer from photosensitive epilepsy.
Right, better you don't touch the ZONE mode at all.

RedScar
22nd June 2009, 04:52 AM
Going down? - Sol2 drop after that back to back rights, always feels like the ship just floats for a quick sec before falling straight down.
Roller coaster - Metropia mag strip

PS: Problemsolver, you amazing me. I just got zone zeus on AP with 76 zones, HOW can u do 127 (I think thats what u have done). Your tank dude

stin
22nd June 2009, 06:43 AM
Last chicane of Sol2 I normally shouts at the players, This is stin way and you all **** off! :hyper

stevie:lol

JJPAP
22nd June 2009, 07:28 AM
Although not a turn, I always refer to the bottomless pit, entering the first tunnel at Vineta K Rev, as SaturnĀ“s Cave.
SaturnReturn will know why - a video might even (still) exist :lol

AnErare
22nd June 2009, 08:03 AM
Ah I think I do too, that is one of the early Nordics vs Flying Dutchmen matches isn't it? :)

Sausehuhn
22nd June 2009, 08:06 AM
Don't some tracks actually have original names for some turns? I thought there were a few names at www.wipeoutpure.com.

leungbok
22nd June 2009, 08:08 AM
Lol, already named a turn on a famous Pulse track.

On Arc Prime White and Black, there is a corner just of the main straight where the are no shoulders on it, a ship can fly off the edge quite easily.

Its called Leungbok Bend. As when racing on Arc Prime last year that was Leungbok kriptonite in the game.
Lol,
Really, the devs always places the speedpads on the open sections where it's risky to hit them. Kind of sadism ! ;)

blackwiggle
22nd June 2009, 08:15 AM
And we Masochistic racers try to pass over them.;)

Connavar
22nd June 2009, 08:30 AM
I think we could also name the Barrel Rolls...
many of them found by Leungbok or pirhapac or Flashback_Jack.

blackwiggle
22nd June 2009, 10:07 AM
Too many found by that trio.
It would get confusing for those that don't know of them :eek ,not that there would be that many here who haven't seen their exploits on the various video posts.

lunar
22nd June 2009, 10:22 AM
the concept of"Barrel Roll Locations" is fairly redundant in HD given that you can barrel roll basically anywhere that has a bump which is at least as high as dog turd and which doesn`t have a mag-strip.

However I think certain turbo tricks that involve BRs are worthy of names, but some already have them. I really like eL`s "Petunia" for the chicane that is jumped on Ubermall. I like it even more when eL is chasing me there and jumps off the track, if this has ever happend :D

Real race tracks don`t have descriptions of what the sections are do they? So you don`t use words like "chicane", "bend" etc. So on Ubermall we would just have "Cat" and "Petunia" to describe those key parts. I also like just "Bollocks" as Hellfire said for the Chenghou spiral, as in "I was flying into Bollocks at an uncontrollable speed."

also I think "Chuck Norris" works great for the hairpin :lol

mic-dk
22nd June 2009, 10:39 AM
BR trick #1: Leungbok Bop - pitch down -> up -> fire turbo. Insta'Air! :)

I also very much like Bollocks Bend :lol My only problem is that I have several turns with that description!

QjonPL
22nd June 2009, 12:31 PM
Don't some tracks actually have original names for some turns? I thought there were a few names at www.wipeoutpure.com.

Indeed, but only a very SOME turns have their names and it's fun to make our own names ;)

I'll try to mark all of your suggestions on track images and I'll upload them later here.

eLhabib
22nd June 2009, 02:10 PM
Heh, Stephen, I knew right then when I flew off the track, waving to the pot of Petunias, that you were gonna rub this in my face ;)

I really like the name Bollocks Bend at Chenghou as well :+
I remember back in September when HD came out, I would always forget about the small dent on the magstrip of Moa Therma (you know, where the loop crosses), and crash into it because I just couldn't remember it was there. That's why I call the right part of the Moa magstrip (left on reverse) the Parking Lane :D

KIGO1987
22nd June 2009, 02:30 PM
You could call the hairpin on Chengou "Mono-Star", as probably only 1% of pilots can make it around that corner at least somewhat cleanly.:lol It would fit with the mono-rail system right above it;)

Last chicane of Sol2 I normally shouts at the players, This is stin way and you all **** off! :hyper

stevie:lol

God both these corners are right up there on the Cuntyometer. The one on Sichuan Province [Chengou Project], no amount of Triakis skils can turn the Triakis ship successfully around that corner without cutting the throttle power. I just go through a max velocity and take that right wall out, with the side of the ship along with anyone in my racing line, its also a similar fate while navigating on the final Bend on Sol2. Like i always say with my motto;

"When In Doubt,
Go Flat Out"

[I practice alot in real life also, lol]

ProblemSolver
22nd June 2009, 02:41 PM
... PS: Problemsolver, you amazing me. I just got zone zeus on AP with 76 zones, HOW can u do 127 (I think thats what u have done). Your tank dude
Business as usual. :coffee
Actually, my best is a 125 but the current entry shows a 124 (did more
perfect zones on this run).

Rapier Racer
22nd June 2009, 03:05 PM
I can think of a few names for that blind turn on Metropia reverse, but at the risk of getting a scalding I won't be posting them ;)

Spece2goin
22nd June 2009, 03:28 PM
pot of petunia : hahaha nice one! i usually land in the flowers... especially on reverse...

Connavar
22nd June 2009, 03:29 PM
lunar: naming BRs would be about the USEFUL ones, as many BRs are completely
useless ;)

lunar
22nd June 2009, 06:49 PM
Sorry Connavar, that was just part of my daily campaign against barrel rolls. I fight spam with spam ;) :paperbag Aaargggh there I go again.... I cant help it. Obsessed, moi?

@Kigo I love your new name for Chenghou Project. That is going to stick with me. :lol

@eL, sorry about that, but after spending the majority of the rest of the session chasing you hopelessly I could not help myself today. Perhaps such an incident in Petunia could become known as "Watering the Flowers".

eLhabib
22nd June 2009, 07:08 PM
:lol I always wondered how they got the plants up there anyway...

OBH
22nd June 2009, 07:18 PM
Yeldars dimise -- Whichever corner lead to him wanting to quit :g

Spece2goin
22nd June 2009, 07:20 PM
just went on the official site

there are few names for some turn or section.
so we can add :
Anulpha Pass
last turn before the over pass
Greenline split

Chenghou Project
the inverted bend is called
the bowl, or the depression
the turns after it are
R4robot bend in reference to the "Robots build Robots" kind of industrial facilities.

Metropia
the WTF hairpin after the mag strip on reverse is the
Gemini's pin

those are real names given by SL, but i like our funny ones too...

eLhabib
22nd June 2009, 08:45 PM
Metropia
the WTF hairpin after the mag strip on reverse is the
Gemini's pin

I like Zatoichi better :P

Spece2goin
22nd June 2009, 08:49 PM
didn't know what Zatoichi means.

but that makes sense, good one.

IDReaper
22nd June 2009, 08:55 PM
Wow lots of good ones here. My genericness starts now:

Ubermall Chicane at the end = Cat Litter, 'cause when you see it, you'll $#*% bricks.

YouAreFubar
22nd June 2009, 11:21 PM
I was more more thinking 'Jerrys end' for the Ubermall chicane, as in Tom and Jerry the cartoon... you know... if Jerry was the cat that the tunnel goes into.... well.... actually..... thats a bit rubbish. :frown:

ProblemSolver
22nd June 2009, 11:55 PM
Metropia
the WTF hairpin after the mag strip on reverse is the Gemini's pin...
'WTF' is a quite good match, I guess. xD

Spece2goin
23rd June 2009, 07:53 AM
fortunately, SL gave us somme orange arrows over the mag strip to tell there is a left turn at this place!! xD

Mateo
23rd June 2009, 12:23 PM
We should "sell" them to the AG-350 league sponsors.

Magec Hairpin
Ignition Chicane
Maglock Looping
etc.

:g

KIGO1987
23rd June 2009, 03:16 PM
Cunty corners:

Corkscrew on Sichuan Province, as well as that bastard monorail turn.

Sol2 last one is really cunty too, same with that one you can br off, thats if you get it right.

Metropia Reverse after the mag strip has a series of real cunty corners.

Yeah the last one on Ubermall is a real cunty experience.

Hellfire_WZ
24th June 2009, 05:28 PM
First right hander after the first mag-lock on Chenghou Reverse should be The Allotments. It's so rarely used from everyone boosting straight over it that people have started growing f**king vegetables there.

nexusc
25th June 2009, 03:10 AM
Metropia Reverse after the mag strip has a series of real cunty corners.

I Lol'd.

Nothing worse than hearing "energy low" as you're on the magstrip on the approach.. :D