PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout on XP

Djara
30th October 2002, 10:29 AM
Hey all

How do you get Wipeout to work on WinXp (If at all possible), it gets so far then it trys to start the game and closes itself. Am I going to have to dig out my Win95 machine (cos thats too hard)

Thanks

Djara

DJ Techno
30th October 2002, 08:05 PM
it should work, because wipeout xl pc version it did fine on Windows 98 and XP for me.
I am no computer wiz but you should not be having difficulty starting it on XP.

Djara
30th October 2002, 08:07 PM
Hmmmmm strange, I come to select the game and such and it loads a map of the track (for a split second) then the program just disappears and i'm left with my desktop (though a nice picture I prefer to play the game than keep seeing the desktop image)

DJ Techno
30th October 2002, 09:09 PM
loads a map of the track?

I don't get it

it should be loading or uploading the screen that says Wipeout blah, blah, then go to press start (space bar or enter or roll mouse)
and then say loading
and then you should be... playing the game
Right. :-?

Djara
30th October 2002, 09:35 PM
it loads THE map of the track, as in i get an image of the race track. sorry for the confussion.

I can select game, I can select racer and I can select the race track, after that the program shuts itself down. Now I've just run in on a Win95 laptop and it was fine so there is nothing wrong with the CD, that leaves something wrong with my WinXP computer, there must be some setting thats wrong or something

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Dj

Lance
30th October 2002, 10:23 PM
the original wipEout for the PC requires MS-DOS to run. windowsXP does not have MS-DOS, so presumably it will not work, unless you still have an earlier version of windows installed on the computer alongside XP, and have a way of booting up in the early version. that is my understanding of the situation, but of course, i could be wrong.
2097/xl is made to operate in Windows of any variety up to and probably including XP

hi-nrg
15th December 2002, 12:59 PM
I once got my hands on WipEOut (so to say part I) for pc and i got addicted ever since :) but i can't find it nowadays. There is still some CD's for PSX at E-Bay :)
Any ideas whether i can play WipEOut on PC with an emulator? Does such an emulator exist? How can i get it?

Common, help me, please. I need my drugs ;) (...i liked that Japanese track and the desert one so much...i think it was called Altima something :?).

Wiseman
16th December 2002, 06:29 AM
Any ideas whether i can play WipEOut on PC with an emulator? Does such an emulator exist? How can i get it?Are you talking about playing the PSX version on your PC?

Yeah, you technically can do that, but unfortunately, it has some problems.

Whenever I try to play it on ePSXe (THE best PSX emulator there is), the game runs, but it runs smooth (30fps+) for about a second, and then stops for about a millisecond. Although a millisecond might not sound that bad, it is when it happens every second. So it's like ruuuuuuunnnnnnn-stop-ruuuuuuunnnnnnn-stop-ruuuuuuunnnnnnn-stop-ruuuuuuunnnnnnn-stop-ruuuuuuunnnnnnn-stop........... etc. Argh! :x

And I have a powerful machine (1.5GHz/512MB/GeForce 3) too....

Anyway, you can get ePSXe at http://www.epsxe.com if you want to try it out and see if you have any better luck.

If you're talking about running the old DOS PC game on XP, well, you can try right clicking on the application itself, and head on over to the "compatability" tab. I know there's options to emulate Win 98/98/NT/etc, but I can't remember if there's a DOS one or not. I'm not currently on my WinXP machine so I can't check.

xEik
16th December 2002, 12:57 PM
Whenever I try to play it on ePSXe (THE best PSX emulator there is), the game runs, but it runs smooth (30fps+) for about a second, and then stops for about a millisecond. Although a millisecond might not sound that bad, it is when it happens every second. So it's like ruuuuuuunnnnnnn-stop-ruuuuuuunnnnnnn-stop-ruuuuuuunnnnnnn-stop-ruuuuuuunnnnnnn-stop-ruuuuuuunnnnnnn-stop........... etc. Argh! :x
Maybe you can find a solution here for your problem

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8289#8289

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

error_child
18th January 2003, 05:21 PM
wipEout needs dos, windows xp has done away with dos completely, (does anyone know anything good about win xp, it seems to me its for all the people that just got their pc for christmas or something, trying to make everything as simple as possible)

Anyway
There is a program called Connectix Virtual PC, it lets you run more than one operating system on your pc. Maybe that will help.

the surgeon
14th September 2003, 06:14 PM
use the compatabilty program and select win95,wipeout will then run on xp no problems :D