PDA

View Full Version : Baaad timing

Mr Phlanj
13th June 2009, 12:33 PM
I was racing today with kanar and other WOZerz. one of my first times raceing with these guys and it was my 1st race today, it was on VK and i had managed to keep my 2nd position for alot of the race, THEN IT GOT TO LAP 3 and just as i was flying into the tunnel the screen froze and i blinked, then the ps3 shut down.

and now when i turn it on the yellow light flashes indicating a hardware failer. so im buggerd. you see i wouldnt mined sending it back to sony waiting the 1-4 weeks but its not my playstaion its Osama bin haydns. he had to make a split second choice to leave it or take it last night and he left it and now its broken.

s h i t......

Spece2goin
13th June 2009, 01:17 PM
ask him if you can open it.

try to remove and replace the HDD,
and if you can, check with a computer the data integrity
that's the only non-electronic thing one can do.

ProblemSolver
13th June 2009, 01:19 PM
It's broken, so what? Life ends? The YLOD was already on its way. And I don't think
that the YLOD cares about whether you or OBH were playing.

Well, I think OBH can handle this.

Sh!t happens....

Darkdrium777
13th June 2009, 01:33 PM
Hard drive is NOT readable anywhere else than on that particular PS3 system. If the data wasn't backed up, it's lost forever.

Mr Phlanj
13th June 2009, 01:34 PM
well truth is im more annoyed of the fact that i could have got myself a little bit of rep for raceing against some of the proper good guys and get a pole position, and i think haydn will be more anoyed of the fact he had bought his ps3 back of his mate not too long ago.

but your right the light was on its way anyway so we'll have to get over it.

(hmm i wonder where the box is??)

@Darkdrium - s h i t!!!

chboing
13th June 2009, 02:21 PM
hey that a pretty sad story Mr phlanj, but this avalon event isnt gonna stop soon so you'll be ready for next one i'm sure.

I've raced against you some times ago, i remember it cause i was like :
"M-r - p-l-a-n-j" ? how does it sound, and i tried several pronumciation in my head to choose the one i prefered

i remember you were a fast pilot, had to be very consistant to be 1st agaisnt you.

we'll race again you soon in FURY :) !

djKyoto
13th June 2009, 02:48 PM
If you've got an afternoon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr1zyAGwnuU

Mr Phlanj
13th June 2009, 03:15 PM
I would give that video a go if it was my ps3 (the last time haydn said i could try fixing something i broke his old ps3 controller) but it is good to know what the problem is and how i can remove the hard drive before sending it away.

@chboing - haha i got that name when warcraft 3 came out and my mate said i should have flanj as my login then we settled on Mr Phlanj (keeping the f sound) just on the basis it looks funnyer

OBH
13th June 2009, 03:43 PM
Just seen it, what a load of poo.

Amorbis
13th June 2009, 03:59 PM
Argh, that's bad. And I'd just got used to racing with Haydn again. I wouldn't go blaming yourself Mr. Phalnj, you can't really prevent this sort of hardware failure.

I hope it gets fixed before the England Vs. Flying Dutchman game next weekend, otherwise we might have to reschedule. We don't want OBH missing out on his chance of showing the Dutch what he's made of again :lol.

OBH
13th June 2009, 04:08 PM
Cant find anything about repairs on the official uk site anywhere!!!!.......... A n g e r......... b u i l d i n g.......

:bomb:bomb:pirate:pirate:bomb:bomb

kanar
13th June 2009, 06:47 PM
oh my god, awful news here. Feel really sorry for you guys...

Amorbis
13th June 2009, 07:04 PM
After a look on the UK PlayStation website I found a help page (http://faq.en.playstation.com/cgi-bin/scee_gb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?locale=en_GB&p_faqid=842&p_created=1206969213&p_sid=iAMIUgAj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9OCw4JnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZ wX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXllbGxvdw**&p_li=&p_topview=1). It has some phone numbers for getting in touch with Sony. I'm sure they do an online help system, but when I used it they always referred me to their phone service.

yeldar2097
14th June 2009, 02:22 AM
since when did PS3's start breaking? silly machines...
bad luck obh, i hope you can get one sorted for the match...
i know it's probably the least of your worries at the moment but i'm sure the thought of grinding my bug into a guacamole-like paste will boost your eagerness to find a replacement :P

TheFrostE
14th June 2009, 03:52 AM
man OBH cant catch a break :(

IH8YOU
14th June 2009, 05:27 AM
A bit late, I know, but PS3s need to breath a LOT to keep cool. Problem is, they inhale a lot of dust over time, and this can drastically impede their ability to cool down - and result in over heating.

Every 3-6 months, maybe more, or less, depending on your air quality (extra dust or pets?), ambient temps, and how often the PS3 is running... You should blow out the ports with canned air, while the PS3 is running. Don't be afraid to get the straw right up to the vents, you want to really stir things up to clean the fins. (just don't stick the straw inside)

I'm not saying OBHs failure was related to this, but I know of someone directly who had this failure, and they had a lot of dust inside it. (which ended up causing the failure)

They tend to run a little cooler in the vertical position, well, at least mine does. (the fans run a lot faster / louder when it's horizontal)

Not many people appreciate how much heat these things pump out - I actually heat my entire bedroom with mine in the winter. (folding at home) - Most humans generate about 100 watts of heat, while a PS3 is upwards of 300, and they can't sweat to get rid of it, so keep em clean.

Mr Phlanj
14th June 2009, 02:07 PM
In my house it sat in a corner with the other electronics around it on a thick rug, i mean you could feel the heat but we never realy gave it any thought seeing how I dont know anyones ps3 to break so far.

one thing that sucks is soulcaliber4 is still in it but then i thought "thank god it wasnt infamous"

stinkleroy
14th June 2009, 02:26 PM
Yeah the PS2 suffered from a lot of dust intake too...tried to open mine up to clean it as it broke after 8 months, realised I didn't know what I was doing, then realised I'd voided the warranty and had to get a new one. Yes I'm clever :lol

That sucks mr phlanj and OBH, hope you can get it fixed soon :)

AnErare
14th June 2009, 03:27 PM
lol

Real proper cheeky monkey business stinkleroy :P

Mr Phlanj, you could try to take the cover off and get the disc out of the drive, that should be a straightforward trick. If OBH decides he'll allow you to do it ;)

Mr Phlanj
14th June 2009, 03:43 PM
if u watch the video djKyoto put up (even tho it isnt to do with the disck drive) it looks like one basterd to get open, and I would try it but I dont think haydn will let me :D

OBH
14th June 2009, 05:02 PM
youd have a fork sticking out your neck :)

cheers for the help amorbis, i hate telephone customer service, but need to do it!

Amorbis
14th June 2009, 05:09 PM
You're welcome Haydn. Don't worry about the customer service, they were helpful enough when I got my SIXAXIS replaced under warranty. Be prepared to go through a lot of different departments, though :eek.

blackwiggle
15th June 2009, 02:24 AM
I find that video of the "FIX" disturbing, but equally enlightening one on what has probably gone wrong with your console

If the CPU or Graphic chip have lost contact with the motherboard it would infer that heat that that PS3 was creating internally [with probable ambient surrounding temp] was enough to softened the joins, and that the vibration of the Fan,HD and disc reader were enough to break the contacts over time.

Seeing that the MB is situated at the bottom of the unit,and reading that you had the PS3 sitting on a thick rug [trapping heat beneath the console],with other electronics [more heat],would suggest that your console has suffered the same CPU/GC connection problem.
Cold comfort I know. :frown:

But no way would I go "Tool Time" with a heat gun on a MB as shown in that video,how many other components are going to suffer failure after that treatment,plus the guy said it was the second time he had done this to the same unit.
I bet it ended up on EBAY after that video was shot,I pity the poor sod who bought it if it did.

I have all my equipment sitting on Vibrapods http://www.vibrapod.com/ in a open rack with heaps of air around them,even then some hot summer days I will turn the PS3 off if I can hear the fan working harder than usual.
I just don't want to risk having to go without it .

Hope you can get it fixed quickly,by a authorized repairer [Sony sub contracts everywhere,some are better than others]

Darkdrium777
15th June 2009, 03:39 AM
Actually no, Whetzel fixed his PS3 like this. ;) He hasn't sold it AFAIK.

Avenger2197
15th June 2009, 12:42 PM
Damn, I feel for you Haydn, I really do. I'm just going through the same thing. All these PS3's going at the exact same time. Makes you wonder.