PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout XL/2097 for ps3

blackwiggle
17th May 2009, 03:05 AM
The cat's out of the bag guys.

Due for release 2009 .

WIPEOUT XL for PS3 as listed on IGN's new releases due list.

And at a price of $28 I think this will be a Download only.

http://au.ps3.ign.com/objects/143/14346729.html

But it's got a release date of DEC 31st ....
I hope that is wrong.

Sorry for posting this in two different areas ,but I thought it warranted it.

Darkdrium777
17th May 2009, 03:10 AM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

And at 28$ they must be kidding. I know it's WipEout XL but damn, if it's at that price I'm going on a tour in Quebec (the province) to find a copy, it's going to be less expensive.

For information purposes, the highest price on the PSN Store for PS1 classics is 9.99$, Castlevania SotN.

FatScarf
17th May 2009, 03:11 AM
Great for those who don't have it I suppose. I still have the 2097 original PS disc :) I hope they get round to Wip3outSE on PSN though, could do with that!

(woops didn't notice other thread)

blackwiggle
17th May 2009, 03:21 AM
That might mean 12 player online races.:nod:hyper

JABBERJAW
17th May 2009, 03:39 AM
It would mean 15 player online races :) Don't ****ing change it, The physics I mean. But at least have analog work, dpad would be awful

blackwiggle
17th May 2009, 03:53 AM
I wonder if NeGcon support will still be implemented?

Now that will sent the cat amongst the pigeons,watch the price of those go through the roof [as if they haven't already] if it is usable with this version.

IH8YOU
17th May 2009, 04:01 AM
So is this going to be a psn classic? Or remade with PS3 visuals??? 40 is justified if XL is in 1080p 60fps.

djKyoto
17th May 2009, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I'm guessing if this is true, it will be a 1080p/60fps version of Wipeout 2097, like HD is for Pure/Pulse.

PS1 games on the PSN aren't anymore than $8.45 AU. I'm hoping it's a typo. Some new WipEout stuff could be nice...

stinkleroy
17th May 2009, 11:45 AM
Oh a full HD version of 2097 would rock my world!
I hope that is the case, otherwise that price is ridiculous :?

SaturnReturn
17th May 2009, 12:13 PM
I've not played it before, but I've heard XL is quite good. In some ways I hope it's not true. It could lead to a whole new level of addiction. Although I would quite like to know what all the fuss is about.

blackwiggle
17th May 2009, 12:24 PM
Price quoted is too cheap for a disc.

Where does that leave you?

US $28 on What?

A massive down loadable 2097 in HD .

YES PLEASE.

Amorbis
17th May 2009, 12:36 PM
I highly doubt this, it doesn't really seem like the sort of thing that just happen to me. We already have WipEout Pulse on PS2 (http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation2/4-/9600778/WipEout-Pulse/Product.html) and PS3 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Wipeout-Pulse-PS3/dp/B00260GS58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1242563666&sr=8-2) supposedly coming out within less than a month. There has been no proper proof of either of these, but I do know Studio Liverpool likes to keep things quiet.

I'd like to see it happen as well, but it probably won't. That's my pessimistic view on this sort of thing :D. Maybe a huge E3 WipEout party will happen, which would be awesome.

andybob35
17th May 2009, 12:42 PM
Old skool psx action... hopefully it'll be a 60hz version (like XL) and not the slower 50hz version ive had to get used all these years.... (2097)

Online racing would be good, plus minor graphic tweaks (1080p... hmm unlikey as it'll just be a port)

The d-pad rules... :g

blackwiggle
17th May 2009, 12:50 PM
It's easier for SCEE to appease the die hard wipeout fans with the requests at this forum to reproduce ,what for a better tearm's "The Classic Wipeout" experience.

My god,it wouldn't take much of a search to see how many people here have requested such a thing,I being one.

I would rather have a REALLY well reproduced 'CLASSIC" updated than a half arsed new game.

We [ Niggling doubt's that not all at this forum after the EURO Convention] are completely in the dark regarding the don't know for a fact WHAT is coming.
15 days to go till E3.

If nothing announced during those 3 days then it's back to hypothetical situations.
I'm dreading that COLIN and so should you.

LOUDandPROUD
17th May 2009, 01:24 PM
I haven't played XL or 2097, so I'm pretty excited at the prospect of these games being HD-ified and brought to PS3...it'll be like brand new Wipeout to me! :hyper

blackwiggle
17th May 2009, 01:53 PM
Well it's coming on to easily 10 + years since 2097 was originally released.

SCEE must be of the opinion that since it is such a "Classic Game" that those over 30 would of "Moved on" and "Stopped playing games" so that they could "re Market" XL/2097 to a NEW GENERATION.

WRONG!!!!!

Watch for the backlash fools.

Wipeout is a Generational thing,kids these days will not put the time into learning and mastering the game.
They have far to many other distractions

Spece2goin
17th May 2009, 02:08 PM
Why WipeoutHD was so cheap compared to these announced $28?

hope they'll work to make it worth the money! i'm looking forward to discover the myth!

KIGO1987
17th May 2009, 02:09 PM
Interesting

So there is additional content from the original PSX version to the PSN version, yes?

blackwiggle
17th May 2009, 02:16 PM
Who Knows ?

I don't.

But Logic vis a vie pricing would suggest so

0L4F
17th May 2009, 03:56 PM
uhm, since it was announced at au.ps3.ign.com, aren't we talking Aussie dollars?

KIGO1987
17th May 2009, 04:02 PM
Most likly yes,

1 Australian dollar is about 1.4-5 Euro. i think.

darkfaerytales
17th May 2009, 04:30 PM
at this time is clear if it is simple a psn addition of psx classic like wipeout1, or it is another HD completely re-make?

TheFrostE
17th May 2009, 04:31 PM
for those who have never touched wipeout xl/2097, go pick it up for like 5 dollars on ebay for psx and play it on your ps3...even the original version of XL/2097 is better than HD 10+ years ago. WOHD couldnt dream of ever being as good as XL was back then. With that said id instantly drop WOHD garbage 1.4 for WOHD XL

Spece2goin
17th May 2009, 04:32 PM
28 Australian dollars
then that comes closer to 40€... +taxes = 50€ which is correct for a blue ray game in france (they are at 60-70€ for new games, but wipeout may be cheaper...)

RJ O'Connell
17th May 2009, 04:45 PM
As I posted in another thread, if this is a HD remake of 2097, I'd fix bugs like no shields on Talon's Reach, get rid of shortcuts through solid objects (yeah, Arnaud is going to hate it), and Piranha has to be just awful in one area to make it fair.

That is, IF they're re-making the game instead of what will most likely happen, a digital re-issue of the PS1 original.

TheFrostE
17th May 2009, 04:50 PM
or maybe make pirhana only available offline or if online all players must use it. shortcuts should stay ...i mean, HD has shortcuts as well, maybe not clipping though walls like woxl but they are there...and believe me, woxls shortcuts are much more difficult to pull off correctly than HDs, especially oddessa keys.

but RJ is right , it will probably be a re-release with nothing really new. the price is probably wrong...IF SL is still working on extra things for HD along with that 3d stuff too , it would be silly for them to split the community by releasing another new wipeout while still updating HD. WOHD would essentially die...especially for many of us here, who were raised on old school wipeouts such as 3/xl/2097.

JABBERJAW
17th May 2009, 05:13 PM
If this is true please keep the following

1) scraping physics: It is great how it is, rewarding good driving. Do not make it like the newer games
2) Do not Change the ships statistics: leave it alone please
3) Keep physics as is
4) Keep piranha as is. People don't need to choose it, it's that simple. Maybe a ship select screen for the host to disable that one ship. As many will tell you piranha vs piranha, is amazing racing
5) Use the XL version, or a choice of either one. Either way though, they would run at 60 fps.

Things that would be ok to add

1)solid walls, but keep shortcuts if wall is not in the way. No damn wuss wagon for going one millimeter off course like in pure, or respawn. Actually, keep wuss wagon, but allow the nice shortcuts that don't cut through track walls. I'm fine with lot's of walls, but some skill shortcuts are very fun

2) Add a speed class, yes this game could be much faster, and still easily playable.

3)Add weapons to piranha, like wo64. IF there is going to be a supership, it might as well be a supership. Maybe that could be the choice for online SUPERSHIP: on/off.

4) Make sure there is analog support

5) Sensitivity adjustments for the analog control would be great (not talking about tilt here, but the actual sticks, this would help wheels as well.

COULD THIS BE THE 3D VERSION?

darkfaerytales
17th May 2009, 05:22 PM
As I posted in another thread, if this is a HD remake of 2097, I'd fix bugs like no shields on Talon's Reach, get rid of shortcuts through solid objects (yeah, Arnaud is going to hate it), and Piranha has to be just awful in one area to make it fair.

how you are sure about that, i haven't read it anywhere, until someone from SL come here and say what it's going on i'm more willing to think on a simple psn reissue of 2097/XL like wipeout did, otherwise to me has no sense...and since i've already have my original copy from years...

but RJ is right , it will probably be a re-release with nothing really new. the price is probably wrong...IF SL is still working on extra things for HD along with that 3d stuff too , it would be silly for them to split the community by releasing another new wipeout while still updating HD. WOHD would essentially die...especially for many of us here, who were raised on old school wipeouts such as 3/xl/2097.

exatly, i can't understand why simple don't do this tracks to put in HD and make a huge game compilation instead to do 2 games splited a-part belong to the same series and released more or less same period of time...IT MAKES ZERO SENSE

Dogg Thang
17th May 2009, 07:12 PM
28 Australian dollars
then that comes closer to 40€... +taxes = 50€ which is correct for a blue ray game in france (they are at 60-70€ for new games, but wipeout may be cheaper...)

Just a correction here. It's around €15. What was WO HD? Is that comparable?

This news is coming from Australia. Was there a WO XL in Australia or was it 2097 like other pal territories? If there is a hint that this is actually related to 2097, I'd be pretty certain that it won't be a remake in any sort of real remake sense.

The main hurdle there would be the physics and I would be stunned if SL move away from their WO HD physics any time soon. People have been calling out for 2097 handling since, well, 2097. If they could or would do it, I think we'd have seen it by now. And 2097 physics would be entirely different to HD, so I think it would be a massive amount of work from scratch.

There also the tDR art issue but they could replace the logos and tDR design work I guess.

Just all sounds very doubtful to me.

Yet, if the price point is right, it's too expensive to be just the PS1 game.

If it does turn out to be 2097-related at all, then I'm guessing a WO HD type with classic tracks. But the classic tracks would likely be very altered, as they were with the classic tracks in Pure. They'd have to be to work with the HD handling.

But who knows? I certainly don't. I'd actually be surprised if this amounted to anything more than just add-on tracks for HD.

eLhabib
17th May 2009, 07:22 PM
This thread is a perfect example of how quickly a rumor can turn into wrong expectations.

People, think about it! We KNOW that SL lost the track data of the old wipEout games! How in the world are they gonna HDify 2097 without the code?! Also, as Dogg Thang mentioned, there are legal issues to consider as well.

Sorry to burst that wonderful sounding bubble of an HD 2097, but there's no way this is gonna happen...

TheFrostE
17th May 2009, 07:24 PM
you just ruined my hopes and dreams of wipEout becoming excellent and godly again ;)...but yea your right habibinator...never happen, for many MANY reasons

rivvit
17th May 2009, 07:37 PM
ive only started A.G racing since the release of WOHD.im hooked! the wifes hooked! cant be bad:dizzy taking WO back to the future's got to be good:robot

Darkdrium777
17th May 2009, 07:46 PM
I don't know where people got the idea of WipEout XL in HD, however I'm still hoping for a release of XL on the PS1 Classics, at a reasonable price (Like, NOT 28$).

mdhay
17th May 2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah, at maybe, say, nothing? :lol
(I want this game again so bad, and we all know what my mum would say to buying it:().

darkfaerytales
17th May 2009, 08:29 PM
This thread is a perfect example of how quickly a rumor can turn into wrong expectations.

People, think about it! We KNOW that SL lost the track data of the old wipEout games! How in the world are they gonna HDify 2097 without the code?! Also, as Dogg Thang mentioned, there are legal issues to consider as well.

Sorry to burst that wonderful sounding bubble of an HD 2097, but there's no way this is gonna happen...

yeah, indeed, remenber there's a supposed wipeout pulse for ps3 to come as well

mdhay
17th May 2009, 08:41 PM
That isn't likely to happen. At all.

AG-wolf
17th May 2009, 09:31 PM
Step right up folks! If this is indeed a remake, then watch as SL rapes every wonderful memory you have of the best entry in the Wipeout series!

- Craft with weight and momentum? Gone.
- Non-penalizing wall-scraping? Gone.
- Qirex in its rightful place as an AG powerhouse above Auricom? hahahaGone.

etc etc blah blah blah hatred for post 1999 wipeout games etc

RJ O'Connell
17th May 2009, 09:41 PM
But a Wipeout 2097 "HD Remix" is about as likely to happen as Cricket becoming the United States' most popular sport within the next year, and even if it were to happen, despite what you think Studio Liverpool aren't stupid enough to turn the game into "Wipeout HD 2097 Season Mod". Nick Burcombe won't allow it.

SaturnReturn
17th May 2009, 09:43 PM
Sorry if I'm being stupid. But where does the figure of $28 come from?

RJ O'Connell
17th May 2009, 09:46 PM
An article posted on IGN Australia. Which is why I'm calling shenanigans on the "oh it's going to be a remake!" part, since Australia's inflation rates are much higher, if I'm correct (if I'm not, please point it out.)

SaturnReturn
17th May 2009, 09:49 PM
OK. Where is the article? Has anyone linked to it in this thread? I can't see any price details in the one linked to in the first post.

RJ O'Connell
17th May 2009, 09:52 PM
http://au.ps3.ign.com/objects/143/14346729.html

If you look closely before the page loads entirely it says MSRP: $27.99.

I feel inclined to just wait until E3, but ****, that's a long way away.

SaturnReturn
17th May 2009, 09:57 PM
OK. Well I'll just have to take you guys' words for it. I can't find a price anywhere on that page. Even turned ad-block off and searched the whole page for "msrp", "28", and "$". I got nothing - how strange.

RJ O'Connell
17th May 2009, 10:01 PM
It's like it disappears once the page is fully loaded as if they don't want you to see it...whatever.

Connavar
17th May 2009, 10:10 PM
Hmm this sounds good, but I'd prefer a good DLC (new tracks) + some fixes,
than another, probably inferior game (the gameplay has evolved and I think
Wipeout HD gameplay is better than any previous wipeout).

Darkdrium777
17th May 2009, 10:11 PM
Resolved link (http://ps3.ign.com/objects/143/14346729.html)

Now it will show the price and date correctly.

DawnFireDragoon
17th May 2009, 10:38 PM
i think this thread is the perfect example of their needing to be better communication with fans. for example.

1. the so-called official wipeout site's 'latest news' advertising the fact the wipeout pulse packs are now available.

this is not the latest wipeout news in the slightest, is incorrect and also taunting those who have not been given the oportunity to purchase this promised content.

2. despite various sources giving us info on the apparent release of wipeout 2097 on psn, wipeout pulse on ps2, wipeout pulse on ps3 and now wipeout 2097 on ps3...sony or studio liverpool have not even clarified things.

i think they need a weekly/monthly update or something. i would suggest the official site, but it is a bit of a joke.

maybe studio liverpool could request of infoxicated a weekly/monthly thread, that only they could post in...to keep fans apraised of studio activity. Would Sony or Studio Liverpool's top peeps have anything against that, if the information was offical, correct and controlled to protect themselves and/or any of their products been represented!?

just a thought.

Sausehuhn
17th May 2009, 10:41 PM
We KNOW that SL lost the track data of the old wipEout games! How in the world are they gonna HDify 2097 without the code?!

I don't know how far reverse-engeneering goes on the PS1, but I can imagine to at least get back the polygons of the tracks, meaning there's a chance that at least tracks can be re-constructed based on their original code.

Nonetheless: I fully agree with those who doubt an 2097-HD. I simply cannot see it happen.
It's probably just like WO1 in the Store; simply a 1:1 port with wrong price tag.

DawnFireDragoon
17th May 2009, 10:46 PM
whatever the case, i hope someone from Studio liverpool clears things up about this and the supposed pulse port.

or Sony pull their finger out and take advantage of E3 in a few weeks and put things straight!

Colin Berry
17th May 2009, 11:08 PM
First I have heard of it.

I can state 100% no work is being done on this, so its 100% likely just the old psone ver appearing on the store. Ergo no 15player online or whatever else you might think

I'm just gonna post that AGAIN in case anyone wants to quote me wrongly..

I can state 100% no work is being done on this, so its 100% likely just the old psone ver appearing on the store. Ergo no 15player online or whatever else you might think

Of course, I could be wrong, there could be a whole room of people on a secret floor of a secret building making this...
But there isnt

Turn your excitement factor down a notch, its just the Ps3 compatible dload release of the Psone ver.

Edit
Oh and wipeout Pulse on PS3 .. . ?
Let me kill that one dead as well, Amazon have that wrong.

AG-wolf
17th May 2009, 11:09 PM
Unfortunately, Studio Liverpool =/= Working Designs as far as audience and fan communication.

RJ O'Connell
17th May 2009, 11:11 PM
lol pwnt

silverfoxy
17th May 2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks for clearing it up Colin, appreciated.

Colin Berry
17th May 2009, 11:20 PM
Unfortunately, Studio Liverpool =/= Working Designs as far as audience and fan communication.

Well to be honest we arent really supposed to say anything, thats down to SONY EUROPE MARKETING, not the Studio Liverpool DEV TEAM. Its not our job, indeed we have to be very careful to not cross a line.
Still, we kind of go a little against what we are supposed to do, and people like myself, crob, paul etc post things up when we feel we can and when we feel its worth it, though each time we do, we run the risk of fan backlash or indeed pissing someone off internally.

Its no more the job of studio liverpool to keep the fans updated, than it would be for a factory worker of Pepsi, to tell people about new and exciting sugar free caffeine free pepsi free cans of pepsi.

edit
I'll add to that and say, that press releases, information to fans about games / dlc, etc etc, is planned and handled particular ways for a reason.
That is why they have press days, and E3s and the like. You cant necessarily expect a company to make announcements via a fansite, ok I am 100% sure someone can find an example where that is done, but it is not the norm.
Lets take for example the DLC pack for HD, its being worked on, it is coming. When ? When its ready. What is it ? There will be a planned announcement of its contents closer to release to build talk about it. Once its been announced then members of the team can talk more freely about it, but until then they cant.

AG-wolf
17th May 2009, 11:25 PM
any communication is welcome... it adds a more "real" atmosphere to the development process. Shame the bureaucratic bullsh** of most companies tries to tone that down :/

IH8YOU
17th May 2009, 11:47 PM
Colin - thanks for the honesty on the XL/2097 bit.

That said - I would totally throw down serious cake for a re-done XL/2097 in 1080p. I know how much $$$ it would cost, and how difficult it would be without original source, ect...

Think 2097 is my favorite to date.... Never got to play W3SE - heard that was pretty epic as well. (SCEA has denied me the pleasure on that one)

To dream....

Darkdrium777
17th May 2009, 11:51 PM
lol pwntBrilliant! :lol

Thanks Colin, for the information. Now I can point newbies to this thread too and be crapped upon. :)

RJ O'Connell
18th May 2009, 12:08 AM
Never got to play W3SE - heard that was pretty epic as well. (SCEA has denied me the pleasure on that one)
Maybe that'll be the version of Wipeout 3 they'll add to PSN. I hope.

DawnFireDragoon
18th May 2009, 02:06 AM
thankyou Colin!

that has cleared a lot up. Much appreciated.

You and the Studio Liverpool guys do a great job and it must be hard when you cannot talk to the fans about certain things...even if you want to.

We understand, and when you throw us the odd bit of news and clarification it is well recieved. :)

Again. Thankyou!

AG-wolf
18th May 2009, 03:55 AM
That said - I would totally throw down serious cake for a re-done XL/2097 in 1080p. I know how much $$$ it would cost, and how difficult it would be without original source, ect...

Step right up folks! If this is indeed a remake, then watch as SL rapes every wonderful memory you have of the best entry in the Wipeout series!

- Craft with weight and momentum? Gone.
- Non-penalizing wall-scraping? Gone.
- Qirex in its rightful place as an AG powerhouse above Auricom? hahahaGone.

I'd love to see XL in HD too, but unless the game is exactly the same other than the improved resolution, it might be a mighty disappointment. The closest anything can come would probably be having XL/2097 DLC tracks in WOHD, and just making their entire color-scheme/atmosphere/etc look just like it did in XL, except updated.

multibodydynamics
18th May 2009, 12:56 PM
Oh and wipeout Pulse on PS3 .. . ?
Let me kill that one dead as well, Amazon have that wrong.

Thanks for the info Colin! How about Pulse on PS2? Is that incorrect info aswell?

JABBERJAW
18th May 2009, 02:27 PM
thanks for the information. what would be nice would just be analog moveiment for the ships though, since analog was in xl, albeit with a negcon. I know it's very unlikely though. Pulse on ps2 sounds very possible to me now, based on colin's comments, time to start another rumor :)

El Habib: One thing of note though. The PC version of XL was made to run on the mac, so they must have had the code to adjust certain things? maybe ? If it can run on a PC/mac, or a computer, it would seem possible to make it run on a Ps3 I think, and the good graphics as well. I don't know if they could add to the graphics or not though.

mdhay
18th May 2009, 02:54 PM
...what would be nice would just be analog movement for the ships though, since analog was in xl, albeit with a negcon. I know it's very unlikely though.

+1 with this. Right now, only psp's can do analog, but there's an option for it, so I don't see why not.

Sausehuhn
18th May 2009, 04:49 PM
[…]and the good graphics as well. I don't know if they could add to the graphics or not though.[…]

I imagine that once they can modify the game, they could modify the polygons as well.

But they won't. Because a design-update takes time. Even though WOHD is based on Pure's and Pulse's tracks it took them months to reach the graphical experience we have now. You cannot simply place a building here and more details there. The graphical update would most likely take most of the time.

And once you update the design only, people are craving for more which would then end in a 2097HD. With more modes, more models and more options - to compete with WOHD.

And that's exactly the thing that won't happen, just like Colin said.

JABBERJAW
18th May 2009, 05:01 PM
then what would be awesome would just be a conversion of the pc version instead of the ps1 version. It would be like a new game. Also, the PC version already has analog support, so there would be no need to add it. I know this is not going to happen, but here is wishing.

OH, there was multiplayer with the mac/pc version as well, lan I believe. Doh!! now I want it.

eLhabib
18th May 2009, 05:33 PM
El Habib: One thing of note though. The PC version of XL was made to run on the mac, so they must have had the code to adjust certain things? maybe ? If it can run on a PC/mac, or a computer, it would seem possible to make it run on a Ps3 I think, and the good graphics as well. I don't know if they could add to the graphics or not though.

AFAIK, the guys at SL stated some time ago that they had lost all the data for the old games, that's what I meant.

Sausehuhn
18th May 2009, 06:48 PM
The game was released back in January 2002; the question is when they lost the code.
And note that the game itself wasn't changed as far as I remember. For example: The added option to choose a higher resolution is outside the game; before you actually get in the game itself.
Maybe that's an indication for the game itself not being changed (?).

AG-wolf
19th May 2009, 04:00 AM
http://www.x-cult.org/ has a good community of members who are rather adept when it comes to programming... They reverse-engineered a number of older games to get the source code from them; there's a possibility someone there could accomplish something

Asayyeah
19th May 2009, 08:31 AM
to find back the old source code from Neggie as well ?

TheFrostE
19th May 2009, 07:50 PM
Never!!!!!!

DawnFireDragoon
26th May 2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the info Colin! How about Pulse on PS2? Is that incorrect info aswell?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00260GS58/ref=s9_simx_gw_s0_p63_t1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0BA0HGTZB4FN57WF9JT2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

going on this sudden change from ps3 with a mock up ps3 box picture, to ps2 with no mock up...it would seem to be coming out on ps2 in a couple of weeks :)

cheeper here, uk shoppers!!!

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation2/4-/9600778/WipEout-Pulse/Product.html

JABBERJAW
27th May 2009, 02:12 AM
this is not on the same scale as madden, but I thought companies were about making money. This is not against colin and the guys making the game, since they are probably muzzled by the marketing dept

seriously here. There are two sites here saying june 12 release date. I would order immediately if I knew this was true. If it is true, this is complete bullshit that noone knows about it yet besides the stores, and the sony marketing department is ASS. If it is not coming out at this time, just ****ing tell us. Who the **** keeps their games secret, what a crock of ****. Sorry, but this is ridiculous. I have never seen this happen with other games. They might get delayed, but they tell you, not to mention that you actually know about them. Did you ever see EA just say, oh, you know what, madden is getting released next week, but let's not advertise or tell anyone about it. yes, this is not on the same scale as madden, but I thought companies were about making money.

I mean, angry rant aside, what the hell. What is the problem with just saying whether it is, or is not being released on the specified dates of two large stores? I don't understand what there is to hide, it's not like anyone is competing with hovercraft racing games. they have a monopoly ATM, so take advantage of it. Do you really want to sell a maximum of 2164 copies of the game?

Darkdrium777
27th May 2009, 04:55 AM
Al, see here (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=125725#post125725).
I will start a thread about this, because we are all asking this question. I believe our concerns to be fully justified. We are paying customers as well as fan, and both of these aspects of us hate being left in the dark.
As you said, there is absolutely no reason for them to withhold information about published release dates on websites like amazon. Saying "Yes" or "No" to whether its correct is not a big deal, but it's a big deal when you don't say anything. You can't expect people to buy something that suddenly comes up without any warning. That's just wrong.
What we want is not developer insight or special informations about the games, we only want to know what is going on. And what is going on right now? We have no idea. We know DLC is WIP for HD. We don't know what, when, where, how much. We know WipEout XL/2097 has been rated by the ESRB for release as a PS1 Classic. We don't know when, where, how much. We know Pulse is being ported to the PS2. We don't know when, where, how much.
It should come to no surprise that there are so few WipEout players in the world, considering what we know, and what we don't know. Also, keep in mind that everything we know, still has yet to be confirmed by Sony. There hasn't been an announcement about DLC. There hasn't been an announcement about XL/2097 appearing on the PlayStation Store any time soon. There hasn't been an announcement about WipEout Pulse on PS2. How do you expect any good result then?

thread created (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=126693)

OBH
27th May 2009, 07:46 AM
I picked up 2097 yesterday from a charity shop for £1.50 :g what a bargain!!

KIGO1987
27th May 2009, 09:54 AM
You know whats the cool thing about 2097 is that its such a high benchmark game, and even today you get random people still talking about it over half a decade over its release.

I was talking to an old family friend of mine, he said you remember that awesome game back on the original Playstation that had all the Red Bull advertisements on it as well as that killer sound track on? 2097 is ****ing awesome, im looking forward to the opportunity to buy it off the PSN store in the near future, have it on my PS3 as well as my PSP. Awesome:D

IH8YOU
27th May 2009, 10:43 AM
Half decade? Double that. ;)

Edit: gawd im gettin old. XL/2097 release date Sept 1996. I wasnt even driving then.. Zomg!

KIGO1987
27th May 2009, 10:57 AM
Sorry ****ing typo there.

I was ment to mean, nearly a decade and a half. Damn miss the 90s so much:frown: This decade was so crap.

IH8YOU
27th May 2009, 11:02 AM
Word, miss those days.

DawnFireDragoon
27th May 2009, 12:49 PM
i agree with what JABBERJAW said above and Darkdrium's thread is very interesting. something is very wrong with sony marketing this generation. so called 'smaller games' need promoting too. see any xbox live arcade game for example, promoted well. sell well.

just to confirm JABBERJAW's comments on the multiple site's thing here's a third site stating the same release date!!!:

http://www.game.co.uk/PS2/Racing/~r339144/WipEout-Pulse/

someone needs to say yes this game is coming, get fans excited and people with ps2's interested. i can't believe anyone is waiting to announce this one at E3, one week before it's release. HD content, yes. pulse ps2...no thats just stupid beyond beleif.

G'Kyl
28th May 2009, 10:30 AM
There are two sites here saying june 12 release date. I would order immediately if I knew this was true. If it is true,

It should be about right or just right.

this is complete bullshit that noone knows about it yet besides the stores, and the sony marketing department is ASS.

Yes and yes. People know, but since Sony keeps delaying games without explanation who still gives a .... until it's actually f...... out?

And about D777's long thread: Sony marketing is virtually non-existent. It's not just WipEout. What else can you say.

I have never seen this happen with other games.

I think I have, actually. IIRC. ;)

Ben

Darkdrium777
28th May 2009, 07:48 PM
Sony marketing is existent for Infamous, Killzone 2, and PAIN, but not WipEout HD, which is what I said I found weird and sad. :(

Reezy
24th June 2009, 02:40 AM
PS2 wipeout pulse is in stock @ amazon apparently: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Wipeout-Pulse-PS3/dp/B00260GS58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1242563666&sr=8-2
Really doubt this is the case though.

Lance
24th June 2009, 02:51 AM
Back on topic, please, gentlemen.