PDA

View Full Version : *sigh*...i miss those old airbrakes

WolfKill01
2nd May 2009, 11:25 PM
I miss those old airbrakes from the original wipeouts. You know, the ones that actually helped turn the
craft, instead of just sliding it left to right. I hope they bring them back to a wipeout in the near future.:|

Vartazian
2nd May 2009, 11:34 PM
The do turn in HD. if that is what your pertaining too. Why do you think they got the achievment "Airbreaker" ;)

WolfKill01
2nd May 2009, 11:43 PM
I know what you mean(pertaining to hd's airbrakes).
But it is still very different to the originals' handeling.
I guess it's kinda hard to explain without actually sitting down with the games and demonstrating what I mean.

Vartazian
2nd May 2009, 11:46 PM
Well from the Original to HD (those are the only 2 WO's Ive played) I can see what you mean. but to me the Airbrakes in HD are far more responsive and work as they would in real life.

Excluding the side shift of course I mean the Air "Shifting" the Craft so to say. Again hard to talk about without showing it! =)

WolfKill01
2nd May 2009, 11:58 PM
Indeed.

HD is probably the closest to the way the originals' handled.
But, to me, the originals' just felt more...organic,for lack of a better word.
;)

andy
3rd May 2009, 12:49 AM
I sort of miss them in the new ones :P but then, I don't play the new ones, I only play Wip3out these days =]

I know what you mean WolfKill, the old ones were such a joy to use, you could just throw your ship into bends and it really felt so natural to use - for me it did anyway. They feel so much more precise than new air brakes and just overall nicer.

They added a great flow. The new air brakes with their side shifting seem jerky though and the flow has been lost I think, although I don't know what it's like on wipeout HD because I've not played it yet.

KIGO1987
3rd May 2009, 06:39 AM
Yep thats why me and RR use the old school Wipeout Setup in HD. L1&R1, **** those spongy triggers. Side shifting is so much better.

mdhay
3rd May 2009, 12:25 PM
Does anybody else think that the way the old brakes feel could be down to the camera following the track, not the craft?

Darkdrium777
3rd May 2009, 04:50 PM
Yes, there is a part of that. But then, wall grinding should return, and it would allow us to grind into turns using the outside wall. Now that was great fun :D

d4onps
3rd May 2009, 09:10 PM
I actually played XL for the first time in ages yesterday, and the dynamics are completely different (and strange) compared to HD. I know what you're talking about the airbrakes, like the rear of the ship kicks around on the turns. I guess it's whatever you get used to, but I prefer the current style now. Not to mention, out of habit I kept double pressing the airbrakes to sideshift...

stinkleroy
4th May 2009, 01:11 PM
Ah wall grinding...I REALLY miss that. Scraping round the corners of Valparaiso in my Qirex, watching the sparks fly...ah the good old days!

Lance
4th May 2009, 02:58 PM
Indeed.

HD is probably the closest to the way the originals' handled.
But, to me, the originals' just felt more...organic,for lack of a better word.
;)

The word I'd use would be more... real. ;)

andy
4th May 2009, 04:56 PM
satisfying =]

Edit: I play in internal view so I'm not sure if it's about the camera following the track =p it does help, but there's something more to it. I just cant put my finger on it

Velocitar64
6th May 2009, 07:39 PM
I think the airbrakes on Wipeout64 were awesome.

G'Kyl
7th May 2009, 01:49 PM
WO64 is pretty much 2097 redone, so yes! :)
I too started playing 2097 again only recently and what I love about the airbrake physics is how you can feel the craft being set back into the direction of the airbrake. That is, if you hit the brake, it doesn't only make you turn - it also "pushes" the ship, literally, back a bit. Nice touch. And yes, "real" would definitely be the expression here. :)

Ben

TheFrostE
7th May 2009, 06:12 PM
yes, XL and 2097 had some great handling ... and i did enjoy the sliding around corners in Wipeout 1...and not the bad saturn version handling....ERIC!!!!

RJ O'Connell
8th May 2009, 03:57 PM
I loved the old handling too but I'm not too keen on the idea of bringing back the old handling for new games, if I wanted to play a game that felt exactly like Wipeout XL, I'd play Wipeout XL, not a "totally new" Wipeout game with a dated handling/physics engine.

G'Kyl
8th May 2009, 11:07 PM
Not dated, but I'd like the idea of some game using a modern version of the old physics ideals. Also, new tracks for the "old stuff" would actually be good enough for me. ;) At least as far as 2097 is concerned.

Ben

TheFrostE
16th May 2009, 01:12 AM
ya , it wouldnt be a direct port of old turning physics. but the "style" of handling from the old games could be re-created using next-gen engines

DividedXZero
21st May 2009, 06:13 PM
How do you think the "bouncy effect" from XL would be transferred to WOHD taking into account the current BR feature that's been implemented?

And with re-done tracks; the pit would be eliminated, just wonder what type of racing lines and new ways around the track we could find taking the HD's physics and certain degree of track freedom we have now.

AG-wolf
22nd May 2009, 05:40 AM
i did enjoy the sliding around corners in Wipeout 1...and not the bad saturn version handling....ERIC!!!!

Hey, hey, HEY. Saturn WO1 > PSX WO1 any day of the week :P

RJ O'Connell
22nd May 2009, 06:30 AM
It sure does.

Today is opposite day, right?

JABBERJAW
22nd May 2009, 01:10 PM
the physics would work perfectly fine on hd tracks. HD tracks are easier than xl tracks overall. the barrel rolls would have to have a number limit I think, since you can get into the air at any time during the race

DividedXZero
22nd May 2009, 06:50 PM
^^interesting..

So many thoughts and possibilities to play with taking aspects of each installment that was unique to that WO particular game.

Aeroracer
13th July 2009, 02:14 PM
I want ridge racer style airbrakes. The ones that make you go sideways around a corner, they look cool

slimjim
13th July 2009, 06:07 PM
that would mean a whole different style of racing

ACE-FLO
13th July 2009, 08:16 PM
Yep, it's called drifting...
Anyone seen "Initial D Drift Racer"? awesome racing movie - imo much better than the Fast&Furious movies

Lance
13th July 2009, 08:44 PM
I should hope it's better. I like Vin Diesel and all, but the F & F movies are crap.

GalacticSpartan
13th July 2009, 09:27 PM
I HATE the old air brakes, making you all slip and slide. Screw those old breaks.

DividedXZero
13th July 2009, 09:41 PM
I want ridge racer style airbrakes. The ones that make you go sideways around a corner, they look cool

You're a Ridge Racer..?..
Nice...(i still play R7 on occasion, :))

ACE-FLO
14th July 2009, 02:50 AM
Lance, it's Japanese movie about a son of a tofu maker, who drives his dads modded toyota corola ae86 delivering tofu. up and down mount Akina. Until one day he unwittingly beats a pro racer on his way home. That's when the trouble begins. Cool camera work No CGI. it's a really cool movie... With an awesome soundtrack too actually. need to get a rip for pulse. hmmm...

Lance
14th July 2009, 01:51 PM
Several years ago, I collected much of the soundtrack music from the original Initial D series. Sorta the initial Initial, I guess. :D

Anyway, I liked a lot of the music tracks.

slimjim
14th July 2009, 04:06 PM
Lance, it's Japanese movie about a son of a tofu maker, who drives his dads modded toyota corola ae86 delivering tofu. up and down mount Akina. Until one day he unwittingly beats a pro racer on his way home. That's when the trouble begins. Cool camera work No CGI. it's a really cool movie... With an awesome soundtrack too actually. need to get a rip for pulse. hmmm...

the arcade game is awesome too wish there was a wipeout arcade machine