PDA

View Full Version : I think we might be in for a big surprise.

blackwiggle
26th April 2009, 01:51 AM
We have all be speculating [hey,were good at it ;) ] on the release date for the extra tracks,and what ever else might be installed for us with the release.

My bet is for a June 2-4 release date.

Why?

E3 2009
http://www.e3expo.com/

Sony are being hush hush about exactly what they will be showing ,but word has it [Playstation forum] that it's going to be BIG ,and Microsoft are being unusually timid ,which I read as them knowing what's coming and being worried.

Remember that Sony showed a prototype version of HD in 3D a few months back?

This technology is ready for the consumer market now.

Extra tracks for Wipeout HD will be a certainty [we know that,we've been told that much by Colin] ,if these tracks will be the first 3D game on the market I hazard to guess,but since they have previously shown 3D prototype versions of this game, well,it's not unreasonable to think it would be the most likely candidate.

As for 3D itself,it will come in one of two forms.

Either RealD

http://www.reald.com/

Or

Dolby3D

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/solutions_d3ddc.html

Looks like another possible format war.

Both have industrial and consumer versions [they have to be mastered differently for Cinema and Home use],both require glasses,the RealD circular polarised ones,and the Dolby3D opto shutter glasses that have lens that blink on and off in mil sec's.

Good new for anybody that owns a Home Thearter projector, is that there will be an add on lens that you could put in front of your PJ's lens to turn it into a 3D projector.

yeldar2097
26th April 2009, 02:05 AM
I think I just shat myself with excitement :P
speculation is bad for me...
:excitedyeldar --> :hyper:dizzy:D all rolled into one

blackwiggle
26th April 2009, 02:27 AM
My reasoning for this is.

If it were to be just standard added content for HD ,why wasn't it released ages ago,why to protracted wait?
We know they have finished ,whatever it is that SL have done.

Something's going on that we ,as yet, know nothing about.
It might not be 3D,but then why wait till E3 to release it,[which looks the most likely date since we have waited this long already]

darkfaerytales
26th April 2009, 03:15 AM
as for 3D would be so damned amazing and interesting, just in this moment i still have flashing in my head of WOHD 3D:blarg...

... i'm more and more keen on tracks, this is the thing that matters

i'm not a genius on maths but to me 9+ months of work = LOT OF TRACKS & STUFF TO PLAY

just hope they after 9 months don't come out with just a couple of tracks and nothing more 'cause i will have heart attack & nervous breackdown in that case

don't forget ships as well

my equation is: 9 months of work = LOT OF TRACKS & STUFF TO PLAY and HOLD PEOPLE STICK ON THEIR CHAIRS 4 AGES

leungbok
26th April 2009, 07:54 AM
We have all be speculating [hey,were good at it ;) ] on the release date for the extra tracks,and what ever else might be installed for us with the release.

My bet is for a June 2-4 release date.

June 4 is my birthday :)

blackwiggle
26th April 2009, 08:42 AM
Well that would be a VERY appropriate Birthday present for you .:cake

leungbok
26th April 2009, 09:16 AM
totally !! ;)

Axel
26th April 2009, 09:54 AM
I come back from Miami on the 4th June :D. I see where your coming from Blackwiggle, 9 months is a long time to be making a tracks and a couple of new ships. They must have something else planned. To be honest, I couldn't care much for 3D since my TV wont support it, I want my tracks dammit!!!!!

djKyoto
26th April 2009, 02:41 PM
Better be something nice, my WPHD interest is flailing a bit atm.

Mu5
26th April 2009, 03:02 PM
Yep me too - im hardly playing any more due to that patch.

As stinkleroy put it - im 'patched off' :D

I can remember the wonderous Pulse packs, and the excitement they caused with new tracks and ...new ships :D Those were the days, please bring them back SL! :D

GreenPhazon
26th April 2009, 03:38 PM
I'd like there to be something free, just something small, alongside any DLC that costs monies.

Motorsagmannen
26th April 2009, 05:40 PM
if this is true, its not that long for the long anticipated dlc of awesomeness.
my first priority would by far be new tracks.
some new ships would be fine.
and new gamemodes, on and offline would be awesome.

Wip3ou7
26th April 2009, 06:18 PM
I think they might announce an all new WipEout game, probably BluRay based. On the official PS blog when they dropped the news about the WOHD update, Daimion Pinnock wrote in a reply to one of the comments made "stay tuned for a big announcement regarding the WipEout franchise". He didn't say regarding DLC, or WipEout HD, he said "the WipEout franchise". This leads me personally to believe it's possible that there is a whole new game in the works.

On the other hand it would be nice if we could get the players who were randomly banned from WOHD playing on their main accounts again in the mean time...

GreenPhazon
26th April 2009, 07:31 PM
Better not be Pulse on PS2... :mad:

darkfaerytales
26th April 2009, 08:23 PM
I think they might announce an all new WipEout game, probably BluRay based. On the official PS blog when they dropped the news about the WOHD update, Daimion Pinnock wrote in a reply to one of the comments made "stay tuned for a big announcement regarding the WipEout franchise". He didn't say regarding DLC, or WipEout HD, he said "the WipEout franchise". This leads me personally to believe it's possible that there is a whole new game in the work.

ok, but colin has pointed it out 2 times, the second time even specificy that the patch 1.30 and the upcoming dlc were indeed 2 separate things, pointing out that he can't tell when and what exact content but people will not be disapointed

on another point there're even be people around that know what's the content of the upcoming dlc, as feisarltd have tell us, he have listen one of the psnation podcast and the guy tell that he knows what it is

you find everything on the last pages of the " when first dlc..." thread http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5418&page=63

on a side note i'm surprised that nobody comented further on the news that people on the game press industry already knows the exact content of the dlc, and lets that thread die...

in the best of all cases we might get a generous dlc and a brand new game ready for a late summer/fall release:lol

AG-wolf
27th April 2009, 02:57 AM
I feel like the only person who really isn't interested in ANY upcoming updates if they haven't fixed whatever-the-f*** problems the 1.30 patch has created. Hung out with FrostE this evening and I just had no interest in the prospective 3D element, either... There's something about the future of WOHD that really doesn't keep me as captivated as the replay value in WOXL/64/3...

I hope, I nearly PRAY, that somethnig epic rears its head this next E3, otherwise I may shut off all my systems for the summer.

Quantum Redshift 2 plz

BlochNWhitey
28th April 2009, 06:00 AM
I've found that it's just easier in the long run to not look forward to add-on packs and such, then when they DO come out it's a big surprise.

yeldar2097
28th April 2009, 09:09 AM
me too! also means that i'm (usually) never disappointed.
low expectations rule :D

stinkleroy
28th April 2009, 10:02 AM
I'm with AG-wolf on this one...the game needs to be fixed first. I'd love new tracks but would feel the same frustration playing with the patch problems. Any new track before a fix seems pointless to me.

multibodydynamics
28th April 2009, 10:35 AM
Agreed. It has been 20 days now since the release of the patch and still no bugfix for the framerate hickup problems. Are they even going to fix that? It should be prio 1 to make the 1.3-patch to work flawlessly, prio 2 is more levels and ships. That's what I feel.

Sausehuhn
28th April 2009, 11:04 AM
Good new for anybody that owns a Home Thearter projector, is that there will be an add on lens that you could put in front of your PJ's lens to turn it into a 3D projector.

That means 3D Video without any glasses? Now that's interesting!

Lance
28th April 2009, 05:42 PM
~snip~Good new for anybody that owns a Home Thearter projector, is that there will be an add on lens that you could put in front of your PJ's lens to turn it into a 3D projector.

My PJs do not have a lens, and never shall! ;)

Avenger2197
29th April 2009, 04:07 AM
I hope we get a double-whammy, in that, along with new ships/tracks, we also have a new Wipeout announced.

C'mon SL, make the FX-500 a reality!!!!:D:D:D

IH8YOU
29th April 2009, 06:18 AM
The biggest surprise I can imagine at this point?

Studio Liverpool un-f king 1.3 :turd

Anything outside of that is a pipe dream... Although, I could always look forward to some DLC, or new game that'll work for 6 months until they (@*$ that one up too...

I'm in a (@*$$y mood, just got out of a freeze / glitch fest....

AnErare
29th April 2009, 06:49 AM
Argh!

Moa Therma and De Konstruct at zone 80+ in a fully immersive 3D environment..

This will not be good! I already feel my stomach fighting like Kanar's Cambodia. Not to think of ProblemSolver going at zone 125, insane!

Anyway.. We'll see it when it comes. :P

H3avyM3tal
30th April 2009, 10:51 AM
That can't be good :lol

DrMannevond
30th April 2009, 01:19 PM
This is from december last year, but still - very interesting :

http://ps3.qj.net/PS3-getting-stereoscopic-3D-support-next-year-/pg/49/aid/127446

blackwiggle
30th April 2009, 03:21 PM
I'm kind off hoping that they don't go down the "Pop Stereo 3D" route.

I've got a few movies [DVD's] and the glasses that are in that format, I found it gave me a dull ache right between my eyes and some lightheadedness ,and that's watching on a HD projector.

This might be some newer variation on that process.
[With a AUS$80 premium for the official Sony 3D specs no doubt]

I still can't imagine that you would be able to race for a long session ,I'd reckon 20 minutes tops before you got a bit dizzy.

Guess we will see what eventuates.

crawdad62
1st May 2009, 03:01 PM
3D would be awesome if it was supported on a "normal" TV without the need of any special devices to see it. I don't see that happening though. Glasses would be the worst since I use headphones most of the time so I don't wake the rest of the household up. I'd hate trying to juggle a pair of cheap glasses under/over a pair of headphones.

I suppose if it were a Blu-ray release there could be two versions on the same disc. That would work for me.

OBH
1st May 2009, 04:26 PM
June 4 is my birthday :)
1 day before mine :)

JJPAP
1st May 2009, 06:28 PM
1 day after mine :o

Golgofier
3rd May 2009, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty sure my brain would melt if I played WO in 3D... :D

ProblemSolver
4th May 2009, 10:47 PM
Argh!

Moa Therma and De Konstruct at zone 80+ in a fully immersive 3D environment..

This will not be good! I already feel my stomach fighting like Kanar's Cambodia. Not to think of ProblemSolver going at zone 125, insane!

Anyway.. We'll see it when it comes. :P
I guess, running ZONE in 3D really improves the feeling of zoning. Judging
the distance in a three-dimension space is a lot easier then judging it from
a two-dimensional projection of that space. Anyways, if that
three-dimensional effect requires to render two different frames within the
same amount of time we will get a decrease in framerate by half. And one
thing is for sure, running ZONE in 3D at 30fps would never lead to those
results obtainable at 60fps. But who said that SL isn't able to pump up
WipEout HD to 120Hz such that we get a frame rate of 60Hz for 3D? :)
Or, why not using an additional PS3 to render the odd (resp. even) frames?

There was a show a few month ago where Polyphony demonstrated GT5P at
240fps@1080p using four PS3s. So it's likely that we will get a 3D GT5(P)
at 60fps using two PS3s. The same technology could be used by SL. So there
might be an offering like; WipEout 3DHD, with a special note that you can
increase the refresh rate by using an addition PS3s. Just dreaming.... xD

blackwiggle
4th May 2009, 11:24 PM
There is a complete nutter that posts at the AUS/NZ Playstation forum that has 9 PS3's ,why he has 9 I don't know ,but he would be all over that if it ever became possible.

ProblemSolver
5th May 2009, 12:56 AM
Well, I can put 9 PS3s to good use. He might also do some scientific
computing stuff. I don't know....

GT5 will have such a feature because GT4 as well as GT3 also had such a
feature to render a right as well as left view on two separated PS2s.

I would even encourage some lead developers to consider such a solution
(using more PS3s) for the last third of this console generation, if the following
conditions are satisfied (in that order);

1) It improves the gaming experience,
2) the PS3 become cheaper, and
3) a PS4 may feature an extended Cell processor (i.e. 16 SPEs).

The benefit of doing this is obvious from the perspective of a developer who
investigates into parallel computing for building larger immersive worlds. If
point three becomes true, then one cannot start early enough building a
data-driven model of one's game engine independent (more or less) of a
fixed amount of SPEs.

I honestly think that Polyphony is into that business! Why showing GT5P at
240fps utilizing 4 PS3s? Technically, the interesting point here is that they
could split GT5P' data model such that it scales linear with the amount of
PS3s. In essence, they didn't needed a fifths PS3 to handle the additional
communication overhead.

Well, I think WipEout HD (its engine) would be an ideal test bed for the
things mentioned above. One thing obviously is to build a real
three-dimensional and fluent immersive gaming experience using the
stereoscopic (or whatever) effect. Secondly, increasing the resolution of
all the tracks, the crafts geometry as well as the overall track / map complexity
would yield an even greater immersive experience.

For the sake of completeness;
My thoughts from above are more or less of a technical one. I know that a
nice DLC with some new maps as well as some new racing modes would help
WipEout HD even more atm than splitting it over multiple PS3s. ;)

love9sick
11th May 2009, 12:34 AM
Don't know anything about this 3D tech stuff but I sure would be happy for some new track already :hyper