PDA

View Full Version : Strictly Barrel Rolls

JABBERJAW
19th April 2009, 04:08 PM
To get some data for the issues of lag and Barrel Rolls, I was looking for some data. If you could answer by number format that would be great

1) If you go "Invite Only", does this stop the pauses during gameplay completely?

2) If you go "Invite Only" does this allow barrel rolls to work every time? If not every time is it better than it is with all invited?

STATUS OF BARREL ROLLS: Pure and Pulse had major barrel roll issues, it was finally solved with HD, but has gone back to pure/pulse status. I like barrel rolls with this style of gameplay, however since they do not work all of the time here is the million dollar question

3) Since Barrel Rolls do not work every time using the left-right-left manouever, BUT button presses ALWAYS WORK for weapons/absorb/thrust, do you think it is time to go to a Button press for Barrel rolls, since it would work every time?

My answer to number

3) would be "YES" if this not working cannot be fixed. yes it would take some of the skill out that I have worked on for a while and others as well, but this would make it a little like wipeout 3 where you really have to watch your energy since you could do BRs easier, and they would ALWAYS work. The game would be faster as well.

Zoth-Ommog
19th April 2009, 04:37 PM
1) Yes AFAIK.

2) Don't really know, haven't paid attention enough.

3) Hell no.. faster yes, but i like this skill aspect of executing BR's, practice leads to perfection.

JABBERJAW
19th April 2009, 04:44 PM
Zoth, even if they only work half the time? and are not fixable? I like the skill as well, don't get me wrong, but when I try and they don't work 5 times in a row on sebenco (basically every jump on lap 5). I feel like they need to be switched to a button. This was not me doing it wrong and had nothing to do with lack of practice, it just didn't work, in fact, I probably did the input 3 times on some jumps before landing. I could be wrong, they may be fixed tomorrow, and give a big thankee-sai!!! to sony.

KGB
19th April 2009, 04:50 PM
1) couldn't answer that with total confidence but i think not.

2) even in an invite only game, Br's do not work all the time, i think it might improve the success rate though.

3) it would be a step backwards IMHO to make it a one button execution. So no again. they were working fine up untill the update.

JABBERJAW
19th April 2009, 05:03 PM
KGB, same question for you, if they are not fixable, or just not fixed, what would your answer be then? As you can see, I am very worried about this, to the point on not wanting to play when it only works sometimes.

Zoth-Ommog
19th April 2009, 05:23 PM
I would not go to button press BR's even if this current situation with BR's would be unfixable. But that's only my opnion, if it went to button BR i just have to accept and adapt it.

crawdad62
19th April 2009, 05:27 PM
I probably shouldn't post since I really can't answer first two questions but I feel compelled to just for your third. I would really hate to see BR's become as easy as a "button push." There's some actual physical skill involved right now. A bit of finesse. What might be nice is maybe having the sensitivity of the BR maneuver increased.

KGB
19th April 2009, 05:31 PM
I know what you are saying, it needs to be consistent, because at the moment they are a joke, I would personally race with them off if i could but it isn't the answer.

They can put the DLC on hold as far as I'm concerned until they fix it. If it's just a matter of getting rid of the spectator mode for the freezes then get shot of it pronto, it looks awful anyway.

Not sure exactly what has caused the loss of BR's but we need to get them back soon. if they can not bring them back as they were then it's a hard question to answer. I would have to go for the same as you JABBERJAW, but the game would change into something else then. All these great pilots who have practiced hard to get them in places that no one else can would be slightly peeved.

I'm really hoping they are going to fix this soon as even though i am very addicted to this game still, i am not enjoying playing it anymore. I'm constantly shaking my head at the problems online. so much so i have even started SL, which i hate!

JABBERJAW
19th April 2009, 06:35 PM
Great replies guys, keep them coming

I just tested playing against isaac online (invite only two players). We tested a few things, When he was constantly exploding, I could not perform a barrel roll it seemed during or around that time I saw the red showing up. Also, it seemed that it was harder to do the barrel roll, when weapons were going off. A GOOD NOTE THOUGH, was that they worked almost all of the time playing against him here, at least similar to how it used to be, so the tourney will play out nicely with everyone in the same house I think. It just seems the more stuff going on, the more they don't work, and it seems that SPECTATOR mode put it over the top for not working.

I don't have the time for this, but two or three guys should get together, and test this out online under invite only, and see if it performs better. Start wtih two, go to three, then four. Just make sure it is invite only.

Connavar
19th April 2009, 06:59 PM
I would have a 1 button command input, it's fine the way it is: L-R-L.
The real issue is not the LRL it's the lag, I mean it works damn fine offline!

leungbok
19th April 2009, 07:24 PM
Hmmm, if br would be reduced at only one button, i'm sure that my interest on searching new spots to perform them will go approximatively to :... 0 :frown:

Motorsagmannen
19th April 2009, 08:21 PM
yes i agree, if BRs are reduced to the press of a button it would be a really bad blow to this game.most of the records will be up for grabs, and the feeling for acomplishing a hard BR manouver would be next to zero.

TheFrostE
19th April 2009, 09:57 PM
i would say no to #3. only because i am sure they will fix this. pulse and pure had their BR issues yes, but it wasnt as easy to just patch an update for those games to fix it. once SL is fully aware which i am sure they are by now, they will be working on it.

JABBERJAW
19th April 2009, 10:18 PM
Me too froste, but I don't think they can be fixed without getting rid of spectator, which won't happen. Mabye a button tap of the brakes might work better left brake right brake left brake, who knows.

yeldar2097
19th April 2009, 11:03 PM
i'd rather stick with LRL even if they don't work 100% of the time (more like 10-75% at the mo).

in fatal inertia it was double tab of the airbrake but it was horrible because you could do it whenever so you were very often sent into walls against your own volition.

just fix it for me SL and i'll be a happy chappy forever more :D

Regarding BR consistency: has anybody else found that BRs offline have been affected? speed lap, zone and time trial are all perfect but in single race i find certain BRs have become very hard to pull off. some of them work 100% of the time but some of them (in specific places on each track) very rarely seem to work.
Anyone else got this?

blackwiggle
20th April 2009, 12:35 AM
If you had asked me this question when HD first came out I would of said change the control input needed for BR's.

I'd have to say NO now,even though I'm not a master of performing them I can still do the vast majority of them after extended practice.
Well I should say,I used to be able to do them pre update.

I'm not sure if the non functioning BR is caused by what's going on at the time.
I've had races of Chenghou where there have been no bombs or mines and nobody is firing at each other,yet going over the jump and trying to BR doesn't work, and that's after mashing LRL several times.

The real problem is the now total inconsistency of BR's.

I think your correct about the likelihood of SL removing spectator mode would be low,but they must realize by now that this newly added option is the culprit for all these problems that have arisen.

Motorsagmannen found that if you change the filter to Friends only just before a race [thus disabling spectator mode] that these problems disappear.
A bit of a PITA having to do it for every online race,but if it restores normality that's what now has to be done.

Maybe if they discreetly disabled it or at least give us the option to disable it things might return to normal

JABBERJAW
20th April 2009, 12:51 AM
that would be nice, not friends only, but a "No Spectator" option. It seems that it is just too much going on, like it was at it's limit pre-update, where it still didn't work sometimes, but it wasn't bad at all, something in the update might have just put it over the edge.

Connavar
20th April 2009, 03:41 AM
blackwiggle: Friends could join and spectate ;)
Someone needs to try "invite only" just before starting the race, this should work better!

blackwiggle
20th April 2009, 03:56 AM
I was thinking the same thing.
I haven't been able to try what Motorsasmannen has found to be a work around.

I left a window open in my computer room to air it while I was out,it rained and a lot of gear got wet,including my modem/router,so I haven't been playing online.[USB works but Ethernet connections are on then off again :turd]:frown:

mic-dk
20th April 2009, 06:28 AM
#1 Invite only definately eliminates the micro (and not so micro) lag spikes. Same as I haven't experienced it in a full race/tourney. Once the first guy leaves OTOH...

Regarding barrelrolls, I'd much prefer the way it's done now. Pressing a simple button would eliminate much of the skill part of BR.

Asayyeah
20th April 2009, 10:15 AM
I am pretty sure if we do that single button BR we will have the same problem of non-operating BR system. it's not related to a bad movement or a missing one ( left-right-missing left i.e.) but simply in few circumstances BR are not active at all.

crawdad62
20th April 2009, 01:46 PM
but I don't think they can be fixed without getting rid of spectator, which won't happen.

Why exactly is that? Don't get me wrong the idea is very appealing but the execution isn't that great. Not only that but it seems to be at the crux of a lot of the problems of the update. I've tried it a few times and it's okay but it's not a "killer feature" that I would miss if it were taken out. It's kind of slow and jerky (at least my animation is). Again don't get me wrong I don't want to set the precedence of removing features but if it takes that to make a more seamless online experience Spectator Mode would be at the top of my list.

stinkleroy
20th April 2009, 01:59 PM
I don't hink anybody would really miss spectate mode to be honest. Great idea, just doesn't work very well I've only used it once as I don't want to glitch peoples races, but from what I saw it was nothing like actually watching a race, very jerky, doesn't follow the players actual racing line and ships fly off/outside the track etc etc. I'd rather that went and things went back to semi normal :)

mic-dk
20th April 2009, 02:17 PM
Come to think of it - I would actually miss Spectating mode if it would remove the abillity to join races in progress. IMHO, joining a friends race, no matter if its running or not, via the triangle is my favorite feature of 1.30.

Unfortunately this also seems to induce lag-spikes :(

stinkleroy
20th April 2009, 02:23 PM
Without a doubt joining friend races is a very good feature and I would miss that, but if removing it brings back the opportunity to BR at will and no more glitches...I'd be all for it :)

crawdad62
20th April 2009, 02:24 PM
Being able to join a race in progress and being a spectator in said race is two different things to me. I certainly can sit in a room at watch the banner count off the remaining laps but I don't have to actually watch the race. If the two are one-in-the-same then yeah I wouldn't want to loose the ability to join in progress races but if not I could certainly loose the ability to watch some horribly jerky racing.

blackwiggle
20th April 2009, 02:25 PM
And I've just found out applying the friends filter doesn't stop the glitches either :frown:
I'll post what else I found out in 1.30 complaints thread.

stinkleroy
20th April 2009, 02:27 PM
Nope, even having a full game of 8 players doesn't stop it which I find utterly bizarre :?

JABBERJAW
20th April 2009, 02:30 PM
blackwiggle, I think that invite only will work, as long as noone joins mid game. Try that with a few people if you could, see if the BRs work better, I think they will

GreenPhazon
20th April 2009, 04:56 PM
Am I the only one who hasn't really noticed a difference in BR'ing since the patch?

Connavar
20th April 2009, 05:23 PM
People filtering out spectators, make sure you also close any chatroom...
I'll do some tests later tonight.

The culprit is not even the LAG, I was wrong when I mentioned it, it's the
microfreezes. Because of them, some commands inputs are not registered...

When you turn or pitch the ship or accelerate, you won't notice anything
because it's a continuous action: you hold the button/direction down, so
losing a frame or two won't matter.

However! When you're executing a combo (BR), losing a frame is disastrous,
you're going to miss the R from the LRL combo, meaning 0 BR!! :evil

(Oh btw it can be a problem when you want to USE a weapon, sometimes
it won't register that action, so instead of converting the weapon to
energy, the game would just keep the weapon, anyone else noticed it?)

What SL needs to do is get rid of all those slowdowns OR at least let the
game buffer command inputs during those freezes, then no more BR missed.

When the PS3 update with chatrooms was released, we already noticed some
slowdowns in the game, so it's not just that patch methinks.

Motorsagmannen
20th April 2009, 05:53 PM
yes i noticed the weapon glitch to, and it was in combination with freezes. so your conclusion seems to be quite solid. :+

jaminjack
20th April 2009, 05:56 PM
The joystick left right left, and right left right sucks. I would rather see the joystick button used. This way when your turning left and you click down the button, left barrel roll, and the the same for right. With the stick in the middle you could do a Lomcevak (a 360 flip with a 360 flat spin). Push forward and a forward flip, pull backward and a back flip. Flying with inside the cockpit view would be exhilarating . This would be a pretty cool feature for the next update.

Jack

LOUDandPROUD
24th April 2009, 07:22 PM
am i the only one who hasn't really noticed a difference in br'ing since the patch?

Yes. :p

JaceMc
28th April 2009, 11:37 PM
...very jerky, doesn't follow the players actual racing line and ships fly off/outside the track etc etc.

It's kind of funny when you're in spectator mode and it's showing the ships flying off of the edge of the track, or even under the track. Your music just can't keep up. "Bwap bwapbwabwowowowowow bwap bwa bwow bwowowowow"