PDA

View Full Version : really old school

auslander
20th October 2002, 05:51 AM
since Nick Burcombe wrote about the genesis of the Wipeout series in the craft design of that really old Amiga game Matrix Marauders, i looked it up.

so here's a picture of the very first Wipeout AG craft before it was even a wipeout AG craft:

http://www.amiga-online-games.de/games/Matrix%20Marauders/pic_02_big.jpg

:) Jim Bowers is the Man!

aus

Synthetic Consciousness
20th October 2002, 07:36 AM
*visualizes that thing on a track* :o Wow, and I thought the Goteki 45 was a boat. :lol:

xEik
20th October 2002, 12:16 PM
The colour may not very good but I've to say that I like the craft design.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Lance
20th October 2002, 03:58 PM
it looks pretty nifty to me, like a predecessor to the AG-S craft of wipeout 3, but still with a wide and aerodynamically inefficient afterbody, instead of the slim and sleek AG-S pilot-and-thruster compartment

auslander
20th October 2002, 05:56 PM
it's funny how even 64 years after the first wipeout league the wipeout 3 version Feisar, AG-Sys and Icaras still have basically the same design. :)

i'm thinking, wouldn't it be if the next wipeout game would be wipeout zero? Taking place in the good ol' days circa 2040 where AG racing was an underground sport?

I've always wanted to see that Nx1000 AG vehicle in action on the Nevada flats :) . Maybe that image is closest thing we have next to our imaginations...

aus!

jmoid
21st October 2002, 05:07 PM
yeah, cool idea!
love that picture.

Lance
21st October 2002, 06:33 PM
auslander, that's a great idea for a wipeout game!

rhys
21st October 2002, 07:08 PM
the ship on the nevada flats would make a great intro movie :) i love that idea for the next wipeout

Feisar
21st October 2002, 08:19 PM
i would fly that beauty! :wink:

auslander
21st October 2002, 11:01 PM
Now all we need to do is convince Sony and Studio Liverpool!

^_~

(either that or a fan-made version)

aus!

Apr 15, 2035 - Nevada public demonstration of the Nx1000 AG vehicle. Pierre Belmondo utters the words: "A ball bounces. A pin drops. A man falls. Gravity is the glue that binds us to our planet. We are about to apply the solvent which will free our species forever."

Spaceboy Gajo
22nd October 2002, 07:27 AM
I've always wanted to see that Nx1000 AG vehicle in action on the Nevada flats :)

Now I know we've talked about this in person, I thought I'd share my comments on the subject.

Hate to burst anybody's bubble but I don't think the NX1000 AG vehicle would be much to look at. I imagine something put together like it belonged on Scrapheap Challenge or or as it's referred to on the left coast as Junkyard Wars.

Nothing but the essential components for AG flight built on top of a large wood board, with a few instruments to record the scientific data. Quite possibly with a seat for a pilot. After speaking with auslander, I figured he had a point about rollbars or a cage for protection. Although I believe the first flight was unmanned.

I state this because the craft was built secretly from the rest of the world, so there wasn't the resources for anything flashy. Especially something like a full blown craft with aerodynamic surfaces. Look at all the test bed technology that scientists build and you'll find them to be large and bulky.

Take the Xbox for example :wink:

Okay low blow but I had to put it there.

I think it's part of design. First you build to see if it works, then you design it some more to try and make it a bit more presentable.

spaceboy gajo :D

Hybrid Divide
22nd October 2002, 07:32 AM
Nick Burcrombie wrote stuff about AG Craft history and design?
Where!?
I want to read!

Vagrant Logic OUT

Spaceboy Gajo
22nd October 2002, 07:37 AM
(either that or a fan-made version)

Now that would be something. We've certainly got a lot talented people on here and maybe we can make a fan film. Infoxicated said that Sony was planning to make a movie way back when and had a partial script.

Better yet, we can get some people to write a script, the others to animate and those music makers with scoring and sound effects All of these areas can be covered by those of us who write fan fiction, who produce music and those of us who animate. A big group effort, since there isn't a whole lot out there for us to download in the Wipeout universe.

How about a yay or nay?

I'd say yay, but if I touch a 3D program I fear that poor Pascale will get herself in a little trouble :D

spaceboy gajo :)

infoxicated
22nd October 2002, 11:09 AM
Nick Burcrombie wrote stuff about AG Craft history and design?
Where!?
I want to read!

Damon Fairclough wrote a lot of stuff that's in the features area of the site, regarding the history of the teams: www.wipeoutzone.com/features.php

God that page looks awful - cant wait until the annual re-design! :)

Lance
22nd October 2002, 02:28 PM
Nick Burcombe discussed the origins of the ship design for the first wipeout game in the 'questions for the game creators forum'. any of you who haven't read that topic already will probably find most of it to be interesting
___

as to the nature of the first AG racecraft, yeah, they would be fairly primitive, but a race between a bunch of experimental hotrods would still be fun. there's a sort of parallel to this in the Star Wars podracer game, where the racecraft all homebuilt with a lot of crudities about them

xEik
22nd October 2002, 07:11 PM
God that page looks awful - cant wait until the annual re-design! :)
What kind of webdesigner makes changes to one of his greatest sites once a year? Just kidding :wink: . We know you have many other things to do, like most of us. In fact, I've planed to do my own website for two years long and I don't have anything decent yet.

PRACTICE LEADS TOPERFECTION !

auslander
22nd October 2002, 07:38 PM
Vagrant: It's that history that i've always loved about the series!

Spaceboy: I dunno about the floating test-bed description of the NX-1000, the 1000 indicates that this ship was the first public demonstration of a technology after quite a few test models. Plus usually when a group does a technical demonstartion of experimental technology in front of the world's press they usually like to 1) Hide the internal mechanism (to avoid idea theft) and b) Dress it up a little to show how groovy it is.

Although, i think the NX-1000 had *wheels*! :D just so they'd blow everyone away half way through the test when it actually starts to levitate.

I really wonder what Sony wants to do with the Wipeout franchise. Does anyone think that they'd licence the brand to other developers? Or will they hang on to it until either they make a sequel themselves or let the brand die?

Infox: The page looks good ;) but change is always good.

aus!

Lance
22nd October 2002, 08:59 PM
i suspect that they would prefer to let the series die rather than let someone compete against them with what used to be their own

rhys
22nd October 2002, 09:17 PM
they cant let wipeout die, its such a cool game :cry:

id seriously love to see that ship on the nevada flats, as i said.

Spaceboy Gajo
23rd October 2002, 06:54 PM
Spaceboy: I dunno about the floating test-bed description

You have your idea and I have mine. I seriously would love to see floating test-bed down the flats. That's the beauty of imagination, it's all different!

With regards to the theft idea, well it didn't matter after the demo was done. Everybody was making AG craft after that point. The secret was already out on how AG was achieved.

spaceboy gajo

Vasudeva
23rd October 2002, 07:47 PM
A wipEout film would be a cool thing, but I'm very much afraid it would go down history like Tomb Raider or Street Fighter, both of which rank among the worst movies I've seen :-? .

V.

Spaceboy Gajo
23rd October 2002, 09:30 PM
Well Vasudeva, I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with fan films. They're short and I'm certain that they'd be pretty descent if not better than the crap for movies we see. You should see some of the fan films that Star Wars fans have made. Some of the special effects look like they're cutscenes from video games, if not better. Which says a lot about a small fan film that's not licensed by Lucasfilm Ltd.

However, if there were ever to be anything produced from the Wipeout franchise, I don't think a movie is the way to go. I always envisioned a TV series totally made in CGI. For example what they did with Beast Wars and Reboot. That way in the series you can cover a lot of material instead of just the racing. Seriously, it's better than watching a 90 minute movie all about racing. Then perhaps with a series we can find out really what Anastasia's secret is :wink: .

Now I realize it probably sounds better that she has a secret other than finding out exactly what the secret is.

Most likely, the movie or a series are not going to happen, but one thing this Wipeout franchise gave me is fuel for my imagination.

auslander
24th October 2002, 03:03 AM
If it were up to me, i'd licence the Wipeout franchaise and write a comic book.

:)

Unfortunately right now Sony would most probably sue if i tried, as Lance said.

Hmmm... you know Vas and Spaceboy, a really short fan film, done in a unique style and given away for free would probably be acceptable. And *live-action* with CGI effects. The only question is which story to tell and which era?

Anyone got an ideas? :)

aus!

Spaceboy Gajo
24th October 2002, 03:19 AM
Well the consensus we've had is the Nevada flats. That's the one I'm leaning to.

However, I'm into it being entirely CGI.

Although that will be tough, a live action fan film would be good. The best era and the most plausible is the Nevada flats version. That's because it's a little closer to present day than any of the other eras.

Vasudeva
25th October 2002, 03:19 PM
BeastWars was pretty cool, especially if you had seen Transformers (I was a huge fan!). Still, while the result *could* potentially be great, it could just as well be incredibly lame.

On a totally different note. Not to nitpick, Auslander, but I think your nickname would more correctly be Ausländer :) .... ?

V.

Hybrid Divide
25th October 2002, 03:40 PM
You know, there is an bilboard in WipEout for a WipEout movie!
It says "Stuff Blows Up In Wipeout The Movie!"
At least I think that's what it said, I'm in class at the moment and not able to check! :D

For film study in 11th grade, I wrote a short screenplay based in the WipEout universe. Though some names are made up and things are mixed from different eras, I got a decent grade on the project nonetheless. :wink: Ah, the thrill of the opening race of the 2099 season at Gare' D' Europa!

As for the Nx1000, I think it looked like a smaller / unpainted version of the AG ships on the WipEout intro.

Cheers all!
Vagrant Logic OUT

Lance
25th October 2002, 04:53 PM
anyvay, vee k-noe vaht he meenss, yah? :)

auslander
28th October 2002, 03:36 AM
On a totally different note. Not to nitpick, Auslander, but I think your nickname would more correctly be Ausländer :) ...

Well, i'm not privledges enough to have a keyboard with easy access accents. But it's weird, i picked the name first, (i was thinking of Pop will eat itself Ich Bin Ein Auslander) i didn't realize later that Auslander is a regular surname (w/o accents). Like that guy on St. Elsewhere, Dr. Auslander!

So maybe i'm just a big St. Elsewhere fan :)

But I really wish i could do a Wipeout comic book ;) plleeaaasssee sony!