PDA

View Full Version : National flags

Charlie_Bingo
16th April 2009, 08:35 AM
Last night when i was visiting my friend, i noticed that when he was in a online lobby, all players had national flags next to their ranks. Funny thing is, that i cant see any flags at home, or find an option for it ^^ any clues ?

ps. Glad to finally join this awesome community :)

multibodydynamics
16th April 2009, 09:12 AM
It depends on the resolution that you are playing in. On my old TV I also did not have the flags but on my new HD TV they are displayed.

Charlie_Bingo
16th April 2009, 09:42 AM
ah, that makes sence. i dont have a HD tv, but my friend does :) problem solved. thx mate!

Zitrax
16th April 2009, 08:51 PM
Another thing about the flags, you almost never see some countries is that becuase they have their own servers or simply because they have very few players ? For example asia, I can't recall seeing other countries than Japan. And why are there so many french people ? :)

Amorbis
16th April 2009, 09:03 PM
Other regions do have their own servers, you can see them by changing the region filter. If you press Square on the lobby it should come up with a list. Whilst I've been playing online I've seen people from areas of Asia and not just Japan, South Koreans and Singaporean pilots are around too. I've never seen a Chinese pilot except Designer, who for some reason flies under the Swiss flag.

Cerbis
16th April 2009, 09:08 PM
I think that the flag shown in Wipeout HD is chosen depending on what nationality the account used to play is set to. Soccermums made an alternative account set to US, I think, and he shows up with a US flag despite still being in Denmark.

Perhaps that's why Designer shows up as Swiss despite logging on from China?

blackwiggle
16th April 2009, 10:38 PM
Designer79 was using the flag for China until just recently .

Somebody was using some other sort of icon instead of a flag,I don't know what it was or how long it's been available as I can't remember even seeing it before.

It was a little blue sort of pentagon shaped thing,it might be a wipeout nation icon

Amorbis
17th April 2009, 12:14 AM
That's crazy, I'm saw Designer using the Swiss flag. It was most definitely a white cross on a red field. Maybe he has a Swiss account? Or something crazy on my side.

Blackwiggle you are most likely referring to the flag of Israel. The flag has a blue star on a white field, as can be seen on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_israel.

blackwiggle
17th April 2009, 01:24 AM
No it wasn't a flag at all ,it was an icon defiantly,maybe it's a default if you don't choose a flag

designer_79
17th April 2009, 01:34 AM
Hmmm that makes for some interesting points about location vs. account informations.

To clear my case up for you my friends: I am actually a Swiss guy :lol

so naturally the store location (credit card related) and everything else related to the PSN is set to Switzerland. But my current location is Shanghai, so I don't know if the game automatically connects me to a Chinese server (which i heavily doubt) because if I host a game it shows the location as KR (Korea i guess) and with all the internet **** happening in China i don't think there are WO servers here. Could be wrong though

Lion
17th April 2009, 02:12 AM
I was under the impression that the in-game region thing only changed what it said beside your name when you were hosting?
If I change from the AUS region to EUR I see the exact same list of races

Sch@dows
20th April 2009, 09:16 AM
It depends on the resolution that you are playing in. On my old TV I also did not have the flags but on my new HD TV they are displayed.

With SD TV, you also can't see the tracks' name. Only the logo which is very annoying since I don't remember those u_u

crawdad62
20th April 2009, 02:08 PM
I find this quite interesting. Do the flags/track names get "cut off" of the screen in a SD resolution or is this information only transmitted via HDMI? Does anyone have their PS3 hooked up through component cables?

Sch@dows
20th April 2009, 02:13 PM
Thoses information don't appear at all on the screen.
I don't know if it is associated with the HDMI output, or just the displayed resolution.

rdmx
20th April 2009, 02:59 PM
Flags are present on 1080i component screen.
They are simply not rendered on SD. I'm guessing likewise with the symbols for track names, to avoid crappy little small text. Additionally, in SD the loyalty amount is displayed as 'Loyalty [56420]' instead of a little triangle symbol with the number next to it at the top of the bar.

Sch@dows
20th April 2009, 03:33 PM
I have the slider (a gray bar filling with light blue-green ?) on my SD TV.

rdmx
20th April 2009, 03:34 PM
Corrected my wording. The bar is present, but it is more 'stylish' on HD.