PDA

View Full Version : botched ranking online?

TheFrostE
10th April 2009, 05:16 PM
just talking to yeldar about your "online rank"....some ppl are 22 plus already...people not from here and what not. not saying they arent good but how in only two days do they move up so fast....i know there are a lot of factors. i may be wrong so im not accusing but i think there could be some people possibly boosting for rank points kinda like doing an "eliminator" mode with their friends in races

Amorbis
10th April 2009, 05:20 PM
I'm already on rank 20 and I've haven't spent too much time online. I did spend the best part of yesterday racing but no more than I usually would. The people who are the higher ranks will have just been playing a lot, at least that seems to be the most likely case. For all we know they've been racing non stop since the patch launched. Even if you lose a race you get some points so everyone can get to a high rank with time.

Darkdrium777
10th April 2009, 05:21 PM
Wotan is playing a lot for sure. The others, yes probably stat padders.
But in a game like WipEout where the rank is just some icon or some text, it doesn't matter as much compared to games like Killzone 2. ;)
Don't worry, you will be rank 50 eventually, and you can beat the padders anyways so it doesn't really matter xD

RJ O'Connell
10th April 2009, 05:25 PM
Damn. I'm a lowly stat padder.

:(

TheFrostE
10th April 2009, 05:31 PM
ya its just always bugged me how ppl have to exploit things just to have a status simple that they know dam well themselves they dont deserve. it actually just happened in Worms as well, im in 1st place globals for Pro scheme. and the 2nd and 3rd place guys were stat boosting each other to try and take my top spot, then i called them on it and they stopped as soon as i rolled them both online

Wotan
10th April 2009, 05:33 PM
Yes i played a lot during the last two night (sleepless) . i think everybody can obtain rank 50 . It just necessary to have a lot of patience .
So i'm not interested by this ranking . I still prefer TT and SL ,which are more revealing of the skills of each .

Edit: i'm curious of what happenned when everybody will have 50th rank :pirate

pirahpac
10th April 2009, 06:15 PM
i completely agree with wotan..me too i played a lot last night.. all players can up rank playing a lot..not like tt or sl

KIGO1987
10th April 2009, 07:17 PM
Has anybody some of the single race records have been badly corrupted just like Pulse. Check out the single race reverse track records. 15seconds on Moa Therma for a total time, WTF!

XBARNSTERX
10th April 2009, 07:54 PM
ya i noticed that, if you join a game to spectate depending on how long you watched you still get a global record, i was being placed way ahead of my capabilitys as a pilot like 1 minute 16 on some, didnt know that they were actually kept as records though. This needs sorting quick:naughty

Firedshot
11th April 2009, 04:05 PM
I'm a little confused looking at the rank system, whats it for? it doesn't seem to prove anything just that you've played more than the other guy? some one shed some light on it please.

Also with this stat padding i raced seb climb (flash) todayi'm rank 8 online and rank 3 multiplayer track rank it was set to 6 laps and the guy in last place who i lapped was rank 21 online. So again what does this prove? just seems a little pointless?

leungbok
11th April 2009, 04:09 PM
let's wait and see mate, time will maybe balance that !

chboing
11th April 2009, 05:10 PM
sure who knows, maybe if you're rank 40 and you loose against rank 25, then you'll loose some points ?

no one can judge this system yet as we dont know for sure time will make everyone rank 50 ... so just wait and see.

pirahpac
11th April 2009, 05:11 PM
lool yesterday i was with other account level 0..i was with 4 or 5 level 17+..= 5 or 10 secondes on 3 races= level 3 ,77% rank progress on 3 races haha.. so now,time to wait lot of medium pilots (unknow here) get fast level 50 soon..let play the nolifes " who cant have any top ten multi ( lol hn9354!) tt or sl but want show their names on top with playing a lot "..its very funny to see actually in top ten ranking only wotan who have 32 tt sl and 16 record multi..rest 0..funny funny^^

chboing
11th April 2009, 05:18 PM
where exactly does that bother you if people likes spending their times on multiplayer pirhapac ?
stop making fun of people just because they arent as good as you or wotan seriously ... its getting boring!!

they like to play multiplayer.
they arent as good as you
they dont like sl or tt
they just play for fun ...
they dont care beeing rank top ten or anything.

So why making fun of them ???

let them live in peace ffs

that said, it's obvious that if you wait everybody to be ranked 40 online, then you'll get faster to rank 50 ... looks like the ranking system is like that

pirahpac
11th April 2009, 05:57 PM
funny funny ^^ i understand u dont worry chboing^^ ( t est le chef des frustre quoi hein? ta essaye de faire des tt valable tu t est rendu compte que c est trop dur pour toi donc plu facile maintenant pour toi de cracher sur ceux au dessus..a chaque fois jdonne mon avis ici tu saute pour critiquer) ps : si jdevai parler comme tu me la fait une fois pour "rigoler" j dirai que moi ok j ai des quakes de "pd " ( je cite) mais toi ta des tt de tarlouze! ps2 : le seul rank 1 que tu pourra jamais avoir dan ce jeu c est celui de contibutor ..lol

Lance
11th April 2009, 06:50 PM
This is an English language forum so that the largest number of the international WipEout community may understand the posts. If a post contains a message [other than an obvious greeting] in a language other than English, then it must also be shown in English in that same post.

--------------

pirahpac is suspended for 7 days for repeated disrespect to other members, and for frequently ignoring the guidelines of the WipeoutZone.

leungbok
11th April 2009, 06:59 PM
Tss, Pirah, Pirah :rolleyes:

Connavar
11th April 2009, 10:01 PM
About this leaderboard, I know it has about 0 actual meaning except showing who
plays the most, but I'm very glad it exists as it incites people to play more,
and it attracts new players as well, no doubt some of them will be top class
very soon!

We want Wipeout HD to be as popular as possible, right?
That's the only way to keep getting DLC and future Wipeout games.

eLhabib
11th April 2009, 10:16 PM
I wish this ranking system would work in a different way, like in SF4 for example. You gain more points if you win against a higher ranked player, less points when you win against a lower ranked player. You lose just little points if you lose against a higher ranked player, but a lot of points if you lose against a lower ranked player.
If done this way, the rank would really reflect a player's ability. The way it is now is really only there to attract new players...

I played a guy today who's rank was 21, never seen his name before. Then I lapped him, twice, on an 8 lap Sebenco phantom race (no guns, PA off). In short, the guy was a noob - but he had rank 21. Shows you it means nothing at all.

Amorbis
11th April 2009, 10:29 PM
I have to admit I'm not a fan of Street Fighter IV's online points system. It does give an idea of how good someone is but can be a real pain if you're up against a really cheap fighter or something. It would be OK for WipEout if implemented properly. You can't be cheap in a race so it would fit in quite nicely, however I feel it might put some people off. I have to say I quite enjoyed not having any ranking at all, much like old PC games. Your skill was proven and not represented by a flashy badge.

Mu5
12th April 2009, 12:44 AM
Great idea El - That is exactly what I was expecting it be like :D

I was intrigued as to how this online ranking was going to work, especially after looking at the leaderboards and seeing that I have an online rank per track. After looking at it today it looks like I have exactly the same rank for all tracks (apart from one), even though I have not played some of the reverse tracks online since the patch.

Also, I see there is a 'rank percentage' next to each pilot. I think there may be some point in the ranking if it looked at how you performed every time you played a specific track, but it doesnt look like its working.

That aside, I feel it has made everybody more hungry to do well in online multiplayer, which is making some racings very exciting :D I was so glad today when my level 8 Mirage kicked some Level 18/20 ass it was great :D

Cheers SL! :beer

Connavar
12th April 2009, 12:53 PM
The system El suggest would be the ELO system, used in Chess and some other games.
If you check the double ladder competition here, it's using the exact same system.

stinkleroy
12th April 2009, 01:57 PM
I agree with El, I woud have preferred the rankng system to be more reflective of peoples abilities rather than just how long they've spent online. It hasn't inspired me to play anymore than usual as essentially your rank doesn't really mean much. Great for new players though :D

Avenger2197
12th April 2009, 03:18 PM
You know I also would like to point out there are those people who sign in under the same account twice.(different locations, maybe?) I noticed this the other night, kinda did a double take when I saw it.

Overall, the rank system doesn't make a whole lot of sense, good for new players sure, but needs a small revision to it's dynamics.;)

JJohnEames
12th April 2009, 03:38 PM
I was so happy when i heard about the rankings because i thought id finally get to see what sort of skill i had. Its very disappointing knowing that i only have a decent rank cause of the amount of races i've done.:frown: I was expecting a street fighter style ranking system aswell, i think it would work well in wipeout. Heres hoping they change it soon...

Feisar31
12th April 2009, 07:18 PM
I have to admit I'm not a fan of Street Fighter IV's online points system. It does give an idea of how good someone is but can be a real pain if you're up against a really cheap fighter or something. It would be OK for WipEout if implemented properly. You can't be cheap in a race so it would fit in quite nicely, however I feel it might put some people off. I have to say I quite enjoyed not having any ranking at all, much like old PC games. Your skill was proven and not represented by a flashy badge.

I agree with Amorbis 100%. I'm glad the ranking system is the way it is, even if that means it's a little pointless.

Zitrax
12th April 2009, 10:03 PM
I would also prefer a rating system that better showed the skill level of the player even though that might point out how bad I am :)

Some game sites use a system like this which I think work very well:

* You have a rating and a rating deviation (RD)
* The RD increases with low activity and decreases with high activity (it's measure of the uncertainty of your rating)
* When winning or losing a game your real rating gain or loss depend on the RD, so if your RD is high you gain or lose more at the end of a game.
* And obviously you also gain more rating by winning against a high rated player than a low rated player, so your rating change depend both on your RD and the other players rating.

But I guess it's a problem to introduce a system where some players basically gets a "you suck" rating, so I doubt this will ever happen for wipeout.

TorquedSoul
12th April 2009, 10:33 PM
There seems to be no penalty for losing ... so anyone who plays enough will attain level 50.

hn9354
13th April 2009, 03:53 AM
I played Wipeout HD so far more than 348 hours and I play from now on.
It was a honesty shock to see this thread...but I do not mind this "online rank" at all.
I enjoyed a lot of races since 1.30 patches appeared. And I thank for having made a race together.
pirahpac, I was glad to make a race with you.:P

Thank you.

Alejess
13th April 2009, 09:06 AM
Do we know for certain that you can't lose points in this ranking system? It could be that we are already losing points in some races, but don't know it as the amount is so small. However, this amount would grow as our rank increases.

I was imagining something like the very top ranked players occupying ranks ranks 48-50, 'good' players 42-47, 'average' players 35-41 etc etc

If something like this is true, then I wouldn't expect us to notice it when we lose ranking points until people start hitting mid-late 30's ranking positions.

rdmx
13th April 2009, 02:26 PM
Losing ranks would only encourage stat padders or quiters who are afraid to lose their ranking. The quiters problem can be easily solved though. Then you'll get the people making new accounts to start on the middle rank again. Then you'll get people like me who are turned off online mode because they don't want to lose ranking *hides*

Zitrax
13th April 2009, 02:56 PM
If the rating went down by inactivity and quitting people would not stop to play to keep their rating as it would not be kept. A record of highest achieved rating for a player could be kept in addition so there would be a record of how good you once was. So the only possible way to keep the current rating and not loose it would be to play and win. And if creating a new account would mean you would loose all wipeout trophies and personal records I think that would keep most people from doing that. People who do not like ratings could be given the possibility to create unrated games.

d4onps
13th April 2009, 04:42 PM
Yes, I also find the ranking system to be a bit pointless if it's just based on how much one plays. I'm only hoping that it gets exponentially tougher to get the higher ranks. The new ranking feature made online play more of an incentive to play. Usually, I'm just after trying to beat TT and SL times. But I do agree with what has been said that it has brought alot of players online and it's been great fun racing with you all!

chboing
14th April 2009, 07:40 AM
i disconnected from a race yesterday.
and this mornig, i just notice i had less progression in the 20 rank so you can loose some % ....

edit : happened to me again, was level 23, first race ps3 crashes, i reconnect and i'm level 22 :)

designer_79
14th April 2009, 05:37 PM
chboing picks up a point here , happened to me too just beginning building up the ranks. dropped from rank 3 to 1 just because of ongoing server disconnections. This is a little annoying cause you get punished for something which is not your fault ...I mean the server issues are somewhat annoying already, but that it makes you lose points because the game does take it as 'quitting' is not so funny :(