PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

Xavier
10th April 2009, 03:33 PM
OK, so I've made a decision -- I've got a lot of work to do, then two weeks of research in Okinawa at the end of this month, and when that's over, I'm going to treat myself to a PS3, and of course the first thing I buy will be this game.

Let me ask some questions. Please forgive the noobishness!

* Does it matter which version of the game you have? Since the PS3 is region-free, I'll probably pick up the PS3 here in Japan, but buy the US or EU game as it's slightly cheaper (yen is very high now) and the default language will be English. If I set up accounts in the US, Japan, and Europe, can I buy the game from any of those places? Can you go online against people with other versions?

* If there is DLC, will it be available everywhere, or will the Pulse fiasco be repeated? This is one reason I want the European version.

* How does the voice chatting work? Won't people be babbling at each other in all different tongues?

* Game-related questions: in Pulse, I was very frustrated by not being able to see the finishing times of all the ships after a race. In Pure, they were displayed, so I knew what kind of time to shoot for next time, but in Pulse, they don't tell you anything except the order of finish. How about in HD? Having access to as many details as possible will make you a better racer!

Darkdrium777
10th April 2009, 04:55 PM
1. No
2. Unknown. Most likely worlwide.
3. Forget about voice chat. It fails to work 99% of the time.
4. All times are visible.

Xavier
13th April 2009, 06:10 PM
Darkdrium, thanks! Too bad about the voice chat; that would have been fun.

They definitely improved thinga by making the times visible again. With Pulse, I just found myself extrapolating from how many seconds behind I was after the next-to-last lap. I'm sure I'll be finishing somewhere other than first for a while after getting the game, so this will be a big help!

Darkdrium777
13th April 2009, 06:24 PM
The first no is addressed to the first question in your first point btw, just to make it clear. It doesn't matter which version of the game you have, like Pulse it is worldwide.

KGB
13th April 2009, 06:35 PM
Is there not an issue with buying things from another country than where your credit card is registered?

SaturnReturn
13th April 2009, 07:49 PM
I don't think that's an issue now 'cause they have those virtual online debit card thingummies so you can pretty much buy from anywhere if you understand the lingo, or are willing to risk guessing your way through the japanese PSN store. Dangerous!

afatsuoM
14th April 2009, 09:06 AM
AFAIK these cards are blocked by Sony (aargh!). I've been trying to buy PSN titles using wirecard (http://www.wirecard.com/wirecard) but with no success. Had to borrow my dad's credit card to buy Wipeout HD. This was, of course, worth the effort. ;)