PDA

View Full Version : Vote: If sl cannot fix the problems, do you still want the patch?

JABBERJAW
10th April 2009, 12:56 AM
I am not voting yet, since I haven't actually tried it, but either a yes or a no will do, and an explanation if you like. yes if you want the patch to stay, or no if you want it gone and the old way of playing was better.

guggle
10th April 2009, 01:01 AM
Leave it but fix the problems

stinkleroy
10th April 2009, 01:03 AM
A definate no patch. Appreciate the features but the gameplay has suffered, it is very unenjoyable for me now.

Lion
10th April 2009, 01:25 AM
Yes.
If you are mainly playing offline, it makes no real difference anyway.
The problems are pretty much all multiplayer centric. Also if your PS3 is connected to the internet and you don't patch, your races get interrupted by nag screens.

SaturnReturn
10th April 2009, 01:43 AM
Hmm, this is a tricky one...patch?...or no patch?...nice cup of tea?...or kick in the nuts?...I wonder which I'll choose...hmmmmm. I mean I sure do like tea, but if I don't get kicked in the nuts then how will I know what I'm missing out on?

Definitely no patch. If I wanted to play a lottery, I'd play the lottery.

Ruud van Stinklerooij - weapons off races when it's less busy and not too glitchy are still close and fun. So far that and offline games are the only thing I've found that are worthwhile.

Cerbis
10th April 2009, 02:12 AM
Aside from the occasional stutters, I really like this patch. I feel it's a lot easier to keep a community going with it, as you can easily find and join your friends' games. I've not noticed any changed in handling, so far... and there's even a post on the boards from one of the Wipeout Creators that there should be no handling changes (and that he'd look into it, it seemed like?)

All in all I'd say this is a keeper, especially for the added customisation for multiplayer. Can't say I like the visual changes to Zone mode though.

Vartazian
10th April 2009, 02:17 AM
Personally I think the people that are being highly critical of the patch are whining because they are losing more.

Yes the Lag is annoying.

Yes Barrel rolls are harder.

L.A.W.

Learn it

Apply it

Win it

Being humbled by coming in second or third wont hurt you. I know the lag and BR's have affected me just as much as everyone else.

I like the patch. Get rid of the lag though.

djKyoto
10th April 2009, 02:28 AM
Patch is awesome, leave it alone. Quit moaning.

Part from the random lag stops.

SaturnReturn
10th April 2009, 02:31 AM
JABBERJAW - Can we get an actual vote on this thread? I think that could be interesting.

Vartazian - Damn right I'm whining because I'm losing more. Equally I could say that the people who really like it only like it because they're winning more. So what if it evens the odds. Since when was this game all about luck? I'm losing because it's a lottery now and all the hours I put into practising and improving and becoming more skilled now mean absolutely squat. If you don't get a good start you're screwed. So essentially you may as well not even hit the accelerator if you start 8th. There's just no way I can compensate for the mines issue. None! I can't magically jump over them if they're all over the track.

It's a racing game with weapons. Weapons that should add an edge to the racing, not completely destroy the racing element. I hated mines and bombs to start because they take no skill at all. They never did. Neither does quake but at least it looks really cool. I think the only weapons should have been cannon, rockets, and plasma. They all take skill to aim while still maintaining a good racing line.

Barrel rolls are a bit harder in the offline game but still possible. In the online game they frequently are not. They just don't work half the time.

I don't want to insult people by suggesting any particular reason why they might not have noticed any handling change. But it's there. There's just no denying it. The whole feel of the game is different. It's slow and unresponsive.

If slightly different handling and a bit of glitching were the only difference/issue then sure, that wouldn't be worth whining about. The former is something that a person could become accustomed to fairly quickly. The latter is something that hopefully could be fixed fairly easily. But there is so much wrong with it now. So I'll whine all I want.

The main reason I'm whining so much? Well I've gotta do something with my time now that I can't be bothered to play the game any more.

AG-wolf
10th April 2009, 02:43 AM
Look, the things they TRIED to do were good ideas... the online race options and stuff? great idea, but it was just implemented very poorly. That, coupled with the "discrete" handling tweaks that are blatantly obvious, is enough to turn me off... the visual and functional changes and options, but they need to be cleaned up, and the handling needs to return to normal. I liked responsive barrel rolls...

Vartazian
10th April 2009, 02:45 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess. but the changes werent that drastic.

Yeah bombs drop more frequently (and are more Accurate) which is a plus. And they do drop more frequently. Is this your first online game saturn? Never had a patch ruin a game before? I have... it sucks so I feel your pain.

But Really Whining about it wont help. Just Adapt. The Lag jumps will go away. Get your timing down on the BR's (they seem to have changed it) and they did make Icaras a little bit Lighter so its turning is a bit off.

Just Adapt and you will be fine.

AG-wolf
10th April 2009, 02:47 AM
No, the point is this is a very direct and dedicated group of people to a game that already has a niche market to begin with. This is the first place anyone at Studio Liverpool should be looking whenever they do ANYthing Wipeout-related.

SaturnReturn
10th April 2009, 03:00 AM
Just Adapt and you will be fine.

Yes this is pretty much my first online game. I've played others but not to the same level. I have to say I'm getting very annoyed with people that are telling me to adapt. I already feel I've adapted to the handling changes. That's not my big issue. My big issue is that the game is now a lottery to which I have no chance of adapting. You can't learn luck. The skill is gone, the challenge is gone. If there are mines strewn all over the track then I can do nothing to avoid them. Most of the time I don't even get a warning that they're there. As AG-Wolf says I also feel this has been implemented very poorly.

Maybe I have some problem with my connection that's making things worse. I seriously can't believe that some people aren't getting the same issues that for me are basically ruining the whole game.

Whining won't help make it better, but it will help me vent my frustration. I'll try and calm myself down again, a second time, as I realise I'm going a bit over the top with all the complaining posts now. I realise I can't make other people feel the differences that I feel. That's a big shame. If you could I'm sure you'd agree.

LOUDandPROUD
10th April 2009, 03:04 AM
@ AG-wolf - Exactly, which is why all of our concerns are definitely worth whining about here.

@ Vartazian - I don't have a problem losing more...it's WHY I'm losing more that I have a problem with.

@ SaturnReturn - I truly feel your pain, as I'm experiencing the same issues as you. Things didn't seem so bad when I first tested out the update yesterday, but I didn't spend quite as much time with it as I did today and was excited and really wanted to like it...so, I think my perspective was a little skewed. After another go-around today though, thinking more clearly, I'm not too happy at all with the gameplay tweaks. I'm a bit depressed about it actually...lol.

SaturnReturn
10th April 2009, 03:08 AM
LOUDandPROUD said it better in one line than I did with all my crazy rants put together. Point well made I feel. I'll try to shut up now and direct my complaints to the source. Sorry.

stinkleroy
10th April 2009, 03:32 AM
Hehe Ive got to chuckle at the people suggesting that the only people unhappy about the update are people who are used to winning all of the time. Believe me Im used to losing ;)

Vartazian
10th April 2009, 03:37 AM
Perhaps Ive just been around the multiplayer scene that ive grown used to patches ruining games.

And I never said once that venting and whining wasnt okay. Hell Ive nerd raged over more silly things then this. Vent on Brother.

Hopefully they fix the Lag IMO

And Fix Rockets they are far to powerful for the start of the race.

RJ O'Connell
10th April 2009, 03:43 AM
The last thing I want is for SL to roll back all the features of this patch. Period.

SaturnReturn
10th April 2009, 04:07 AM
I don't think they should need to roll back all features. If the option is patch or no patch, then I vote no patch. But if there is an option for a patch with not just more features, but a measured approach to these features that still lets me play the game that I enjoy so much, then I'd take that any day.

Mines are making my games ridiculous - let me turn them off.
Glitching is very bad (probably due to spectate) - Let me turn spectate off.
Extra effectiveness of leech beam and rockets at slowing/halting other players is annoying me - let me choose weapon effectiveness. Give me a sliding scale for damage or something.

People were annoyed by pilot assist before, so now we have the option to disable it. Great! Some people don't like barrel rolls. Now those people have the option to disable them. Great! I don't like grinding to a halt 5 times a lap every couple of races. Give me the option to stop it happening. You see? What this has done for a lot of people is create even more annoying issues than existed before. They could easily have addressed the minor issues with the game first but instead they've thrown so much in that it has just made things worse.

Vartazian
10th April 2009, 04:11 AM
You can get rid of mines its called "Weapons off"

If you start differentiating which weapons then you are getting borderline rediculous.

RJ O'Connell
10th April 2009, 04:14 AM
Individual weapon switches aren't ridiculous. It can easily be done in 1.40 once we get there if enough people ask for it.

Vartazian
10th April 2009, 04:16 AM
Yes it is... The faster racers who are straight up jerks will definately turn off quakes and turbos to make sure they stay in the lead.

It wont happen IMO

But Time will tell...

RJ O'Connell
10th April 2009, 04:18 AM
Because a Missile, Rocket, Cannon or Plasma Bolt can't knock someone out of the lead either, just quakes and turbos.

:brickwall

Vartazian
10th April 2009, 04:20 AM
Phantom. 2.5 seconds ahead. good luck hitting someone with a missile. maybe on a straight away?

Im just stating possibilities

AG-wolf
10th April 2009, 04:33 AM
sounds more like someone needs to tighten up their racing line to close in on those 2.5 seconds ;) lol just giving you a hard time

SaturnReturn
10th April 2009, 04:47 AM
I don't see why weapons options would be ridiculous. There are plenty of games where it's a standard feature.

Also Vartazian, I think you are completely missing the point. In the chat box we all wind each other up and we all congratulate each other when we have a good close race. Generally we also admit if we got a lucky start. Sometimes people go over the top. Sometimes I'm one of them. But I've posted plenty of videos of this game. Some where I've won, many where I've lost. Some recently where I think I've made a genuine achievement. This is partly selfish in that I like receiving compliments when I've done something well. But also it should help other players improve, just as I've improved from watching other people's videos in exactly the same manner. I don't know a single person here who I would call a jerk. I think everyone enjoys a close race and I think everyone tries to help each other improve to that end.

FatScarf
10th April 2009, 05:30 AM
Am i the only person who is genuinely happy they added new server features that has improved the availability of games? fair enough the ranking system is for cod-aholics like myself who like a bit of recognition for the hours put into playing the game, but i like it. the badges are a nice touch too. Personally I'm thankful that SL has put effort into improving the functionality of the online service rather than leaving it looking so basic.

Lemmings = win patch

stin
10th April 2009, 05:52 AM
My answer, would be yes, because, we cannot stay in the past and we must move forward and SL will fix it eventually.

TBH, we don`t know what we are facing.....

stevie:)

Vartazian
10th April 2009, 07:58 AM
@ Saturn - Im not attacking you. I think you are a pheonominal racer, Substatially better then me I might add. I just find that you seem to be repeating (And correct me if I am wrong) that the mines are the things that are really bugging you in this Arguement. (aside from the BR's and lag which is pissing me off) You seem to be the most passionate about this, more then anybody else. Thats a good thing, you take your game seriously. I respect that.

I guess im just intollerant of people whining about games after Ive been on multiplayer for so long.

My apologies for this.

leungbok
10th April 2009, 08:03 AM
JABBERJAW - Can we get an actual vote on this thread? I think that could be interesting.

Vartazian - Damn right I'm whining because I'm losing more. Equally I could say that the people who really like it only like it because they're winning more. So what if it evens the odds. Since when was this game all about luck? I'm losing because it's a lottery now and all the hours I put into practising and improving and becoming more skilled now mean absolutely squat. If you don't get a good start you're screwed. So essentially you may as well not even hit the accelerator if you start 8th. There's just no way I can compensate for the mines issue. None! I can't magically jump over them if they're all over the track.

It's a racing game with weapons. Weapons that should add an edge to the racing, not completely destroy the racing element. I hated mines and bombs to start because they take no skill at all. They never did. Neither does quake but at least it looks really cool. I think the only weapons should have been cannon, rockets, and plasma. They all take skill to aim while still maintaining a good racing line.

Barrel rolls are a bit harder in the offline game but still possible. In the online game they frequently are not. They just don't work half the time.

I don't want to insult people by suggesting any particular reason why they might not have noticed any handling change. But it's there. There's just no denying it. The whole feel of the game is different. It's slow and unresponsive.

If slightly different handling and a bit of glitching were the only difference/issue then sure, that wouldn't be worth whining about. The former is something that a person could become accustomed to fairly quickly. The latter is something that hopefully could be fixed fairly easily. But there is so much wrong with it now. So I'll whine all I want.

The main reason I'm whining so much? Well I've gotta do something with my time now that I can't be bothered to play the game any more.

although I almost agree with your post, Saturn, i'll add my own feeling.
First, about br i didn't notice big changes offline. Online, it really don't works sometimes and i suspect that the feeling of no successfull brs must be the same than with the br/disabled new feature. And believe me, mates : I KNOW how to barrel roll.
I was already whining, before the patch, when i had bad luck during a race :lol But even if it's far more frustrating now and although if i don't like the game's new face (people who wants shooters, buys shooters, those who wants racing games could be disappointed by the new wohd :?) i prefer to see all of that as a new challenge to achieve. If my mate Wotan still win most of his races, that means it's possible ;)
Online has always be a lotery game, of course skills helps to compensate, and on the long range the best pilots have the most victories.
You're a top pilot Saturn, your results on offline TT or SL proves that (and i consider as elite players those who are high ranked on those boards because you start with the same chances as anybody and you just have your lines and your reflexes to perform a good time, but it's my own feeling, ok ;)). So, don't give up mate ! As i already said to Stinkleroy "if it don't kills us, it'll makes us stronger !". :banzai
PS : for me too, mate, mines will become my biggest fear online, LOL.

EPSILON
10th April 2009, 08:08 AM
I think that it is a good patch (lot of option are very excellent) in the 1.30 update but the only default is the LAG.

The Option of No Barrel ROll is excellent, it is the origin of Wipeout games even if i love the races with BR, I love the race with NO BR, very old school gameplay and Intense races with this mode.

When the game charge the screen resume all the information, result of tournament, races etc..Good thing !

the Spectator mode is probably one of the cause of LAG I suppose but They make a new update in a short time...I hope ! :P

One thing, have you seen yesterday the number of Host ??? Enormous !!

It's a good news for game, it's a good thing for us ! ;)

Vartazian
10th April 2009, 08:11 AM
They shoudl fix the lag shortly they wont just let their game rot.. will they?

SL has a better reputation then that.

Speaking of Reputation... what is with all the hate towards me? Im getting de-repped like mad for mereley stating my opinion... I see that as highly unfair. Is it not okay to have an adult discussion about a game?

kanar
10th April 2009, 08:29 AM
I fully agree with Leungbok, Saturn... This is cool, I don't have to develop, you guys explained everything. Hope it's just some settings to change for SL, I mean in a BR-on race, BR should work lol. But my main complaint is for all the ISP (internet service providers) in the world : We need this f*****g optic fiber NOW. All the problems we're experiencing are for most part due to our s****y connections. The more your connection is good, the more you feel like an offline race. TRUE. How am I supposed to have a perfect experience racing my Australian or American or Japanese friends, for example, with my little ADSL??? It's still great fun anyway. But it will be even more awesome in a near future, with real broadband connections everywhere.

djKyoto
10th April 2009, 08:32 AM
One thing, have you seen yesterday the number of Host ??? Enormous !!

This actually. Theres heaps of people online now. Probably the best thing about the patch is renewed interest.

Darkdrium777
10th April 2009, 08:35 AM
We need this f*****g optic fiber NOW+1 Indeed. These pushing physics we keep getting online is just because of that. The lag we get on Spectator is just because of that. Because of **** internet connections, prediction code has to be written. When we get Optic, this will be barely needed anymore. :o (Speed of light yeah)

archman
10th April 2009, 08:41 AM
They will fix those problems with the next game on PS4 and add more bugs, so they'll have some more sells to get on the PS5. :D
The options you guys are talking about are probably the easiest ever to implement, and should be in the game, but you'll see 'em on the PS6 console, so they will have some reason to say that they did some cool new featurings. :D

Alejess
10th April 2009, 08:50 AM
I vote yes. The changes are in general very positive, and I think are intended to help maintain a healthy online playerbase for longer. Dwindling numbers of players online has always been my greatest fear, so hopefully the extra online options, new ranking system etc will help keep people motivated to play for no longer, and encourage new people to join. Don't underestimate the power of things such as a ranking system to appeal to people's competitive edge, and so help keep Online healthy.

As for the downsides: the bugs etc in the new patch are all (hopefully) fixable: we just have to be patient. Patches to fix patches are the norm, not the exception.

The big unknown for me are the changes to the gameplay (such as the changes to barrel rolls, or the allegation that bombs are dropping more frequently, or the changed handling to some ships): haven't really played enough to form a firm opinion about these.

OLOuk
10th April 2009, 08:56 AM
100% agree with Saturn, Leungbok, Kanar... etc. There is no point write again what is ok in v1.30 and what's not.

I don't know how rest of you pilots but for me WipeOut from the beginning was all about CONTROL, PRECISION and FUN... nothing more and nothing less. This update change it.. :( now even if I win with pilots better then me I will know that wasn't fair fight... shame. :frown:

silverfoxy
10th April 2009, 09:55 AM
After a solid days play yesterday I feel more able to contemplate the positives and negatives about the latest patch.

The most annoying part for me is the glitches. Has anyone worked out if this is when people join the room after the race has started and start spectating. It would also be good to know if the glitches affect everyone at the same time of if they are just individual. We should organise something at some point to see if this is the case.

With regards to BRs. Personally, have not found there to be much difference. I'm able to do them on some really tricky places but yet I also missed one on the big drop on Chenghou. Not sure if it that was my poor piloting skills (or the green :o) but it only happened once and that did used to happen before. Are the people that are struggling stick users or D-pad users ?? I'm a D-pad man.

I'm liking the badges at the end of races and I'm finding myself being much more aggressive than before to get a badge. Also liking the ranking system and progressing from rank to rank gives me that "one more race" syndrome.

To be honest, I'd virtually stopped playing online as there wasn't much more progression I could make. I'm not in the same league as most of the Phantom Zoners on here and I did well do get within 5 seconds of them. I'm not much better now but the new update has given me more motivation to try.

So all in all there are faults with the new update but I think they will be ironed out over time and if it gets more people playing the game (as I think we can all agree that there were a lot of players on yesterday) then surely that is progress ??

So I'd vote YES to keep the update :lol

aerobie
10th April 2009, 11:26 AM
Once I got around the start-up freeze glitch, it was all good times. I enjoy the added incentive of ranks and badges. I've scarcely noticed the tweaks mentioned in this thread, and those I have noticed have only changed the gameplay for me, not made it worse or better.

I'm all for SL continuing to work on WOHD to keep it fresh and to try out new concepts for the next big WO release.

GreenPhazon
10th April 2009, 12:29 PM
I feel the patch has been nothing but good. The onyl issue I have now is finding online races is a pain, as there are so many icons.

SaturnReturn
10th April 2009, 12:46 PM
that the mines are the things that are really bugging you in this Arguement.

Well I have mentioned other issues a fair bit too. It's probably true that right now mines seem to be the worst aspect for me right now, but as I mentioned in the other thread that may be due to differences in connection as they're absolutely fine in the offline game. But I know some people with really high speed connections that still get a lot of bad lag issues, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to whether I should upgrade. It coul djust be a waste of money.
Also, I think it probably bugs you most that it bugs me most so we got stuck in a vicious cycle. Agree to disagree and drop it now? Hehe, and I'm not usually so passionate or angry, I'm just having a weird time right now. The real world has seemed a bit off to me recently - something's just not quite right with the my world. As sad as it sounds WipEout HD was my constant. Now it's changed I just feel a bit lost. Coupled with the anniversary of a family death and my Dad being a bit ill (getting over it now thankfully) I suppose I've been wrongly directing all my emotion at this update. A bit silly of me but there you go.

Are you getting negative or neutral rep? I thought I got some negative but I think now actually it's neutral, even though I'm not sure neutral is an explicit option. Anyway, I agree and would encourage everyone to not give negative rep to people for having a disagreement and sharing their opinions. Thanks.

EDIT: I'll keep my complaints to the right thread now because my posts stopped being about the vote a while ago. Sorry about that everyone.

stinkleroy
10th April 2009, 03:49 PM
Sorry to go off topic but in answer to some peoples fibre optic queries, I have a 10mb fibre optic connection and I also get horrible lag...the ISP still chokes your connection at certain high traffic times

Zitrax
10th April 2009, 04:34 PM
I vote for the patch. But it does have a feeling of "beta" quality to it. I hope there are some fixes for the problems without too much delay.

Asayyeah
10th April 2009, 04:57 PM
I vote also for the patch.

Why ?
Wipeout HD original = 18 euros + patch enables playing the laps you wanted till 20, the BR on/off option, the ranking , badges, sending invite to friends for your race or tourney, and all those little details ( possibilitie to join a tour or race of your friends and waiting into a room)

SL did a lot for us , imo, so please be kind with them , things will get in order soon, bugs will be solved , i am sure.
( sorry typing this in the shop/ still working so i can't tell everything i want ;, no time would be a better reason :D)

JABBERJAW
10th April 2009, 06:24 PM
When I get home I will try and switch this to a actual vote selection, if I can edit it that way. The yes/no will be regards to:

If studio liverpool CANNOT stop the 2 second stops in gameplay/ barrel rolls not working, do you want the patch

yes
no

This will clear up the question a little bit. This way the question regards what ifs and there is no ambiguity.

I am not sure which way I would vote. I would have to go with the patch I think under this circumstance, because I can play with my son in multiplayer. Man, this is a hard one. I am going to test playing against Isaac , who lives upstairs, and see if there is lag when we are so close.

leungbok
10th April 2009, 06:32 PM
Yes for the patch, it will probably brings new players on wipeout (even if i dislike some parts of the new gameplay, but this is only my personal taste ;))

KGB
10th April 2009, 06:37 PM
You have to vote for the patch, you know it makes sense. We all want it to grow and grow. :lol

Someone tell me when some of the bugs are fixed as my wife tells me I am decorating all easter. Won't be online for a bit, you are all gonna get those ranks before me. :frown:

Vartazian
10th April 2009, 07:30 PM
@ Saturn - Aight man Ill agree to Disagree... everyone has the right to hold their own opinions on the topic.

Also... It was negative rep. Big, ol, Red dot o death. I was somewhat insulted by some of these people Being so close minded to other people thoughts.

However... Ihope they do change some of the bugs and return wipeout to its former glory!

CaptainWipeout
10th April 2009, 10:53 PM
:turdNo patch:turd - more tracks.

blackwiggle
10th April 2009, 11:46 PM
I don't know if having a faster connection speed would ever sort out the lag problem.
It seems we are throttled by the PSN ,take how long it takes you to download anything from the store or download the latest update for example,ages compared to downloading something to your PC.
Because of the now feature laden PS3 OS [it's starting to become a Gamers console version of VISTA]things are bound to be slow, and the more features they add the slower things will become,you have messaging,chat,voice chat all operation at the same time,all available on call from all the people on your friends list,no wonder things are slow and we are suffering the lag problems.

If you have a look at all the things we have requested in the "What would you like to see" thread.
Well I think you would have to agree the SL did a bloody god job with this patch.

Sure we are experiencing some problems,but we had that before with the second HD patch,people have forgotten all about that one.

Although it's a bit of a bummer with some of the problems,what would you have preferred? that the game stagnate [it was beginning to,you just had to look at the online board for proof]

I'm giving it the thumbs up:+ .
Maybe if we had the ability to tailor the PS3's operation system to turn off some of the "Features" for individual games [giving optimal online performance] and keep those as a preset for each game,then maybe the lag problem would disappear.

Firedshot
11th April 2009, 12:23 AM
No and my reasons... (i did write out alot but i've edited to things that i don't think other people have mentioned!)

I'm a little confused by the ranking system does this re-set every month or can some one thats an average pilot be higher rank than a great pilot because the average pilot plays more? ie i work long hours lol

As i don't play for trophies and i don't really play single player i only play multi and my aim is to race the best pilots and to try and beat the world record on which ever track we are racing on, i can only comment on that and 1 of them options is now gone because if the track requires a barrel role your never beat the record any more!

why is it you can no longer change the number of players that can join the game? it would be nice to set it to say 5 to reduce the number of spectators.

Personally i think that the patch should have been tested more before it was realsed, i can see how it can make the game better but not in it's current form.

1 last thing, i herd some one mention some thing about records being set that are to fast? If anyone plays F1 they might have noticed that SL never re-set the glitched times on there so i can see them not doing the same for wipeout!

blackwiggle
11th April 2009, 12:50 AM
The positions still adjust with account for Lag or Glitch ,if and when it is detected,that might be a problem,the actual detection might of changed,I don't know.

JABBERJAW
11th April 2009, 01:41 AM
What would be nice if this thread was locked or deleted. I phrased the question wrong at first, now people aren't reading the rephrasing of the question which was

IF SL CANNOT FIX THE PROBLEMS, DO YOU STILL WANT THE PATCH?

Not if or maybe, not what if they work on it

, say they can't make barrel rolls work right. I have missed near 10 in a race due to the bug. Say the 2 second or so delays keep happening, and they cannot fix it.

don't get me wrong, I hope they can fix it, but I'm worrying here.

blackwiggle
11th April 2009, 03:48 AM
Tough question.

If they can or can't "Fix" the BR situation I'd still keep it,so a yes.

Was this performance hit "Purposeful"?
Colin thinks not,just a by product of something else that was changed.
With my Dr Negativo suit on, I'm having my doubts about that.

The way I'm looking at it the patch has as given the game some sorely needed legs,so I would still say yes, mainly because more people are playing it now.
Pretty pointless being a master of a game hardly anybody plays,no matter how good that game is/was.

I think that might of been part of the problem,some people got so good at the game while others just plateaued [didn't practice] ,the discrepancy in skills was obvious,that's why so many chucked it in after being thrashed race after race.

This is what I think might of been a reason for the performance hit [conspiracy theory like I know :rolleyes:] if it WAS purposeful.

If there was a option to roll back the patch,how many would?

We are looking at it in a pretty one eyed way as die hard Wipeout nuts,if you look at it in a more general overall perspective you have to ask,will it get more people playing Wipeout,I think it will,which is what we all want in the long run,and I'm sure SL and SCEE want that as well.

All that being said.

I would REALLY like to be able to race as before.

Connavar
11th April 2009, 08:02 AM
Yes, even with the issues, I prefer the game with the patch.
- Offline is more or less unaffected
- Online is better, more options and no more annoying bomb explosions.
Sure there are slowdowns and BR are harder but well.

Vartazian
11th April 2009, 08:33 AM
I just got a major F*** you from the wipeout gods... Me and Darkdrium77 were racing last night. and in 16 races I won One.

But guess what? in about 7 of the races he got photo finishe because he got turbos when I would be in first

or

he would get mines (too many for one person to count) or turbos In the lead..

SL REALLY needs to fix the weapons given to People in Seconds to be more missiles turbos or quakes. It was Unbelievable how many Shields and bombs I recieved while in second almost Drove me insane

Luckilly I didnt launch my controller (but man I was Really F***ing close to).

DD77 is an amazing racer though and admits that he got 4 turbos a race and that I should of won more then I actually did, but a Win isnt a win unless it says 1 - Vartazian

Im just venting... but maybe its a sign I need more practice.

Clearly 5 hours a day isnt enough.

leungbok
11th April 2009, 08:49 AM
@ blackwiggle. I have this feeling too, that the new patch helps to slowdown the fast pilots (like you i'm a sort of fox mulder :lol). But it was here from the beginning with the long range quakes (more than pulse) and the persistent bombs.
Really, i have two antagonists feelings about that :
1/ (As a speed addict and compulsive searcher of tricks to improve it ^^)SL don't rewards his hardcore fans, those who are working a lot to master the game for good results (including the difficult mastery of all brs), but helps the casual gamers in their lazyness (of course it's caricatural, some people have no time to play), to artificially improve their results. I really hates that (not only on video games) ! People wants to be good and renowned WITHOUT ANY EFFORTS !!! WTF !

2/ (as a multiplayer addict who loves fun races and "coups de théâtre"^^) I'm happy if more people are coming in the game and as i already said twice on other thread, new gameplay (mines etc.) is a new challenge to master. And it's cool to have big fights sometimes, even if i loose ! And be sure i'll have no scruples to use quakes or tons of mines if i can ;) I'm sure, mates, that skills will always win at the end, and even if i'm not as pleased as my friend Asa, i think after much thought, that the patch is a good thing on the long term.

Hey SL, it's time to give us new tracks to find huge amounts of br and shortcuts on it and also the best places where to leave mines ;)

Hope my awfull english will be well understood, my goal isn't to hurt anybody, just to explain my two cents on different feelings i guess in some post since 2 days :|

Darkdrium777
11th April 2009, 08:51 AM
Yes indeed. 4 turbo per race, at the very least 3, for a streak of 15 races, is something I've never got before. Maybe I am lucky, but I have doubts...
The mines and bomb combos as well that showed up occasionally also were pretty good timing...

blackwiggle
11th April 2009, 01:08 PM
The more I play online the LESS I'm beginning to like this new patch.

Getting eliminated at the second corner of the first lap on Moa Therma never happened before.

I ran into a bomb,got hit with a missile,ran into another bomb then got hit with rockets all in the space of 3 seconds...WTF

Damm glitches have cost me big time,Murphy's law tells you that is going to happen at the worse possible moment,and it does.

I had a race on Vineta K reverse phantom and lead for the majority of it,not one weapon pad work for me until the last lap,I thought maybe the host had selected weapons off,they hadn't.

I have had my console freeze on me 4 times in 2 hours,it's probably done that as many times since I got it over 2 years ago,every time was just as a race was loading.

As interesting as the concept of the update is , bottom line is.

It doesn't work properly.:(

LOUDandPROUD
11th April 2009, 01:35 PM
Well, I played for another 3 1/2 hours last night with an awesome group consisting of Stinkleroy, Amorbis, Soccermums, Feisar31, Ze1roio1oriLOL, KlockiLEGO...and Wellington86! There were a few others that popped in and out who I can't recall too...wait...caller77 was one of them. Anyway, after that long session, which was a blast and the most fun I've had playing WOHD in a while, I realized that the micro-freezes were far less frequent than they had been the night before. It still happened a few of times, but I'd go a bunch of races without it happening at all. BR's seemed a little better maybe, but still more difficult than normal. Still a lot more carnage out there due to the weaponry tweaks, but I think I'm starting to come to terms with it...not to say I'm thrilled about it, but whatever. Lag, of course, cropped up plenty of times, as did faulty weapon pads. I also played some offline last night for the first time since the patch. BR's have definitely not been affected offline and are just as easy to pull off as ever. In fact, I decided to give Zico another go, to test the BR's, and ended up beating my old time...still wasn't enough to beat Zico though...a damn 31.05...SO CLOSE! UGH! I did, however, mess around with Zone a bit too (I never play Zone...I played when I was forced to during the campaign and that's it), which paid off, as I got the Airbreaker trophy on my 2nd attempt and the Own The Zone trophy too! All I need for Transcendence is Zone Zeus & Beat Zico. In other words, I'll probably never get Transcendence...lol. Anyway, my point of this long and partially off-topic post is that I'm starting to warm up to the patch a bit now. I definitely vote YES. :+

Asayyeah
11th April 2009, 01:36 PM
I had a race on Vineta K reverse phantom and lead for the majority of it,not one weapon pad work for me until the last lap,I thought maybe the host had selected weapons off,they hadn't.
Damnit! someone hacked Avalon concept or maybe it's SL who secretly try to 'reset' the rules of Avalon : 4 laps without weapons , last lap with :o.
Seriously speaking i had this happening thursday at night like many of us but sooner or later this will be an ancient story.

JABBERJAW
11th April 2009, 01:46 PM
I think the weapons are random now, how they should be.

An advantage should never be given to the person in behind or the front, that is cpu assist, or the computer making you win bedcause you are behind. If you want speed boosts, or better weapons when you are behind, you should pick up mario kart or hydro thunder, skill doesn't matter much in those games, where the person behind always catches up, same with fatal inertia, given all the best weapons when behind, wrecked the game.. Driving Skill should be 90% ofthe game, while 10% goes to the luck of the draw with random weapons and you skill with them. With that being said, I feel like I used to pick up more turbos before the patch, but that was possibly my poor driving that day.

I wouldn't mind one turbo pad always being turbo though, so there would at least be no speed advantage for anyone. That would mean no turbo pickups on the others though.

Rubix42
11th April 2009, 04:00 PM
Been a while since I posted, I've been caught up in other games a bit. Although no matter what happens, I drift back to Wipeout consistently, year after year, time after time.

This patch does add a lot of options this community asked for back before and when the game released. Granted, it is not a perfect patch, but given the fact that it is SL, I have every confidence it will be tweaked and corrected soon.

I mostly just wanted to pop out of hiding and mention that with all the good things this patch does, specifically the BR and the PA stuff, the landslide of complaints bothers me a bit. SL could have just not supported the game, that is allowed you know. They are not required to add content to a game for free months after release. In fact, very few companies do this ever. So if it has a few bugs that you know will be worked out, why spend so much effort slamming the dev about it? All the negative will is only going to help them make the decision to not support the game further.

Plus, Wipeout is not a huge franchise like it used to be. If the strongest fanbase starts blasting the devs everytime something doesn't work 100% the way you desired, at some point they might just decide it's not worth it anymore.

Anyways, my rant is over. I look forward to seeing you all online again now that I am back in the Wipeout mode. Hopefully I can still compete at a good level.

leungbok
11th April 2009, 05:16 PM
We can wonder what are the devs intentions with those new patch's additions, Don't we ?
As strongest fanbase, it's normal to say all our feelings on new releases, the good and the bad ones. Devs are not stupid, they can pick in all the reactions, the most interesting ideas and complaints.
For my part i had a dream of a faster game (maybe a "zen" class playable on all modes). I remember when the first wipeout was released it was renowned as the fastest racer, same for the sequels, and i loved that. With the new patch disable br option, persistent mines, uber-rockets, the game is made to allow the slowest pilots to slow the fastest ones. To make the game more accessible (and it's a good thing for that), because being fast, in wipeout, requiers skills and training and of course time to play the game (the most important thing).
Ok, for br, the majority here dislike them, but what about all the wipeout hd players of the world ? Maybe it can be part of the fun in that game (like in burnout, pure the quad game...) and, to avoid the recent bug in succeeding in performing br, wasn't that more simple to supress the boost reward and off course the energy loss, instead of changing the ship animation's code (i only ask, i'm more than a noob for game programing, lol).
So i can understand some disappointements from members here, but i'm sure they'll still play the game and support the devs as i'll do off course, and i'm sure that the devs know that too ;) In France we say "qui aime bien, chatie bien !" sorry i don't know how to translate :D

Axel
11th April 2009, 05:53 PM
I'm with you Rubix42. Bit surprised with a few of the members over the top reaction. Remove the patch? Now lets stop being silly here. The bus that has arised can easily be ironed out, no problem. I'm sure SL will listen to the fans once again and fix these bugs and any other valid criticisms we have for the changes.

I'm expecting more changes to come to prepare the game for the DLC packs in the future. Looks like they are going to turn HD into a fully fledge game after all :)

lunar
20th April 2009, 05:14 PM
To answer the original question, I think that if SL cannot fix the problems I wouldn`t want the patch. Nothing is worth putting up with freezes in online races. However, Asayyeah is right to say that these bugs should get fixed and we should not rush into criticism too hard.

I think the patch adds some great features that make Wipeout HD a much more complete online game. Many features of the patch have been asked for and prove that SL listen to fans, and that they want to develop the game. An example of this is the way you can press select to reject a lap in speed lap after you have used your turbo, and get your turbo back before the next lap, in that way avoiding having to do a whole useless lap before you can make another record attempt. I don`t remember anyone asking for that and it`s a cool feature.

Changes to gameplay, like weapon balancing, some people will like and some people won`t. They`re a seperate discussion I think.

My concern with the game is that bugs don`t seem to get fixed, so I understand the worries of some. I don`t understand the technicalities of it all so it is easy to complain, but straight away with this patch I got terrible freezes in an online race. Ever since launch the game has got progressively more broken, with freezes and broken accounts. I`m not a great supporter of barrel rolls, but I do think that if a game is going to have them then they should work all the time, but they don`t anymore. Just as with Pulse, glitched or cheated times and zone results start to appear on the records tables and nothing is done. That all worries me, because new or cool features are not worth much if the basic game gets broken and nobody looks after its basic health. The situation isn`t critical for me, but it`s not far off.

Overall though, I am very glad that SL are supporting the game and do want to thank them for keeping it alive. I just think that if possible the next updates need to be about maintenance and repair rather than adding features. :)

CaptainWipeout
20th April 2009, 05:39 PM
That's a great post Lunar and I agree whole heartedly with everything you've said.

I hope the devs read that.

JABBERJAW
20th April 2009, 10:25 PM
lunar very nice post, you should mail this one to studio liverpool. Very eloquent :)