PDA

View Full Version : Possible NEW TEAMS in the next WO game, and their ship design

designer_79
18th March 2009, 07:28 AM
Hello Zoners,

Having had some free days, I started thinking about the background story of WO so far, what could happen story-/teamwise in the next game. So for the next (maybe FX500?) racing league it is possible to imagine a scenario where other teams could merge/form an alliance like in the case of Xios and EG-R to EG-X.

I had fun imagining a merge of Feisar and Piranha (Team codename FEAR-A, not only because they are my favourite teams in WOHD but also, cause the combination of their respective strengths (handling AND topspeed) would create a craft that could possibly outperform most of the competitors and bringing it closer to Icaras, where the topspeed-handling balance is much better.

I even had more fun thinking about a possible design of that craft and trying to realize it. So far I did first wireframe drawings, that will help doing the 3D-modelling. What looks now like a nose-heavy pimped out version of the original Feisar design in WOHD will get it's speciality through a pretty thought out new detached airbrake system mounted under the winglets. (Anybody who played WO 2097/XL remembers that the Piranha craft was actually a prototype designed by the Chinese airbrake-developer for all teams ? :nod) So the back view is still pretty sketchy, cause it'll fill up with a lot of technical detailing that needs to be designed, probably thought out first in the 3D-model. I will keep this post updated with renderings to follow later

So if you have any ideas yourself, what could happen to the teams or have design speculations, please let us know and post them! ;)

eLhabib
18th March 2009, 08:45 AM
That's very nice-looking already! Keep up the good work!
If there's one thing I'd like to criticize, it's the fins pointing upwards at the end of the wings... that's very atypical for the wipEout universe, and somehow doesn't fit (in my very humble opinion). But other than that, ace! :+

Mad-Ice
18th March 2009, 10:33 AM
That one is looking sweet! Yeah, the fins upwards are strange, but different and maybe I even like it, not sure yet?

Lion
18th March 2009, 11:48 AM
that struck me as a defining feature of the ship design, and therefore a positive :)

my only issue is that if that team existed, it would be at the cost of feisar and piranha :P
elements of it's design remind me of eg-r to be honest.

I don't seem to be able to get my head around any 3d editing software, but I'd like to see a re-interpretation of a van-uber

rdmx
18th March 2009, 12:21 PM
Lion you may be interested in google sketchup - very easy to use.
I like it, except the winglets look like they'll snap off the first chance they get!

designer_79
18th March 2009, 01:16 PM
Yes, it would be at the cost of Piranha and Feisar, but it's funny , in almost every WO game the Feisar team is always described as a team that cannot really get their act together and therefor are somewhere in the midfield of the league. I found it somehow consistent with the storyline if it would be exactly that team that tries to find a new approach for the new generation racing league. It might be challenging though for some players if 2 of the oldest established teams merge into something new.

For the 3D modelling, does the newest version of sketchup include a mesh modelling function? (where you set points and connect them to Polygons) Because IMHO that's the easiest approach to model any kind of hull / car body or similar. Of course it's an advantage as an architect to have access to pretty sophisticated modelling software ;)

I actually wanted the fins, knowing it's not really a wipEout typical element , but the whole design should be a bit more streamlined, i kinda feel most of the actual crafts are too 'blocky'. I'll redefine the design with the 3d model anyway, so thank you all for the feedback :+

Lion
18th March 2009, 01:23 PM
feisar isn't just one of the oldest, most established teams. it's iconic! the ship design and even the team logo has changed considerably less since the original game than that of any other team. a wipeout wouldn't be the same without them

yeldar2097
18th March 2009, 02:26 PM
looks a tad like the phoenix craft from fatal inertia. anyone else play that (waiting impatiently for WOHD to be released :P)?
can't say whether that's a bad thing or a good thing, all i can say is great model!
:)

designer_79
18th March 2009, 03:15 PM
Thx Yeldar ;) not a model so far, just a 2D Sketch. Modelling yet to be done and that'll take a while ......... zzzzZZZzzz .......

/offtopic Didn't play Fatal Inertia, but do you know the 'Homeworld' RTS series? They have pretty wicked ship designs too ... A little old school now that game, but still great :+ /offtopic

As for Feisar, I KNOW it's the icon of the game ... I was just trying to find some underlying storyline, that could somehow inform the design. But Lion, don't worry I don't work for SL , so these guys will not take that team out of the game ;) It's just play of thoughts what would happen if ....

designer_79
20th March 2009, 05:50 AM
Update: Started with the modelling. Attached a screenshot of the work in progress ... If any one would be particularely interested in modelling tips, feel free to pm me.

I myself find it important to start with a design idea on paper (or computer). The more accurate and detailed the drawings are, the more easy it'll be to turn them into a 3D-model. Usually you can use these reference views as a background image in the Top-/Side-/ and front view (it works the same in sketchup) to give you the idea of proportions already. and it gives you reference points where to shift your polygons to!

I found the comment about the similarity to the EG-X craft interesting ... maybe EG-X becomes the team that is always looking for better alliances and therefor tried a new merge with Piranha ... ? It'll become an important question for the skin-design anyway