PDA

View Full Version : "Fake analog" controller

JimProfit357
11th March 2009, 07:19 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm on the lookout for a third party controller that allows mapping the D-pad to the analog stick, so I can play the first two WipEout game with the analog stick.

A long time ago I had a Madcatz Dual Force Wireless controller for the PSone which worked surprisingly well but I can't find mine anymore.

Can you guys reccomend a newer, preferably wireless third party controller with such features?
I presume I'm not the first WipEout addict who's thought of that.

I'm considering getting a Negcon as well, but I'm not sure if the newer WipEout games support it so I'd like to keep a standardised setup as much as possible.

Thanks.

Lion
11th March 2009, 08:42 PM
the negcon will work in wipeout 1, 2097/xl, 3/3se, and ('m not sure about this, but:) some versions of fusion.
No such luck with either of the psp versions (unsurprisingly) or wipeoutHD

AG-wolf
12th March 2009, 04:47 AM
Mapping the d-pad to the analog stick still won't give you analog control, though. Unless you could get the controller to be recognized by the game as a NeGcon, then map the twist-axis to an analog stick... but I don't know if any controller is quite that complex :P

JABBERJAW
12th March 2009, 04:31 PM
There is an analog controller for the ps1 that looks like the dual shock, that performs in negcon mode, meaning you have analog control with the analog stick. The Thrustmaster Dual Trigger controller is awesome for wipeout HD, you can map buttons, and sticks, and dpad anywhere you like. The wired one works the best. GET a NEGCON as well

the "MADCATZ DUAL FORCE CONTROLLER" is the controller that allows the analog sticks to be negcon mode

d4onps
2nd May 2009, 08:55 PM
I guess I'm asking the same question but for the PS3. I've got the negcon, but the video quality is so much better on an hdtv going through the ps3. So if there's I way I can get some sort of analog control, that'd be great. I tried plugging the negcon through an adapter, nothing. Thanks.

G'Kyl
3rd May 2009, 09:30 PM
I tried the same thing - nothing. Well, it kinda works but you can't play the way the PS3 "recognizes" the controller. Don't remember exactely what the problem was, though. ANYway... from what I hear that's what it is - you cannot use neggy with a PS3.

Ben

JimProfit357
28th May 2009, 10:28 PM
A late thank you for all the info + update.

I haven't found my Madcatz Wireless Dual Force yet (I'm sure it's in the garage somewhere), so I can't say for sure wheter it's just mapping digital to analog or if it's NeGcon emulation.

I tracked down a Thrustmaster Shock 2 Wireless controller, that has NeGcon emulation and was less than pleased: the pad feels cheap, the analog sticks are too far away from the thumb (and I have large hands) and much more sensitive than the Dual Shock, the buttons stick, the L2/R2 buttons are particularly terrible, even the dpad is nothing to write home about. Also, it's the kind of lame wireless controller which you have to sit directly in front off and since WipEout is the kind of game that makes you lean uncontrollably in sharp corners (you know you do!), it's very easy to just lose control. I wouldn't reccomend it to someone wanting to play WipEout 1/2097 with the analog sticks.

Then, I went ahead and bought a Thrustmaster Upad wired controller (mine has the Korea/Japan world cup on it) off ebay.
Night and day compared to the Thrustmaster Shock 2, nice rubber grips, solid buttons, pleasant form. The analog sticks are still a bit lighter than the Dual Shock but are comfortable where they're positioned.

I really reccomend those, they can be had on ebay for cheap and I'm comfortable playing Phantom Qirex with it.