PDA

View Full Version : My Times, my beautiful Times...

Task
10th October 2002, 09:21 AM
Pavel Ramirez, G Mathews, and Josh Derkins (A new challenger has arrived!!) have been doing a good job of destroying what used to by my near-total ownership of the tables...
Well, it'll take me some time before any of my Rapier times are solid (never mind my Phantom times, those are totally beyond my current vision) and I'm not as fast on SR as I am on TT, but I just can't have anyone but Lance beating me on Terminal dammit! 8 )
So, besides Porto Kora (which apparently just isn't my track, 'cause I just can't keep a record there for long), there's only P-Mar Project. Then, I can own the TT again!
After that, I guess I'll hafta concentrate on getting better SR times, 'cause I've hardly got any records there now. 8 P
Good times, fellas!

Wiseman
10th October 2002, 09:51 AM
I haven't played Wipeout 3 in months now, so my times are pretty old themselves.

I did manage to get around to racing Hi Fumii (Venom) a couple of weeks ago, though, but could only manage a 1:37.44 race time with a AG-Sys (my Icaras times were worse, to show you how bad I suck at racing now).

Then I looked at your 1:30:43 race time, and really saw how far behind I am! :lol:

At least I still have you on some of the Rapier tracks, although I know I couldn't get anywhere near those now. In other words beat me in those and you're pretty much secured for a while. :lol:

Maybe this contest coming up will get me "back into the groove" again.

Task
10th October 2002, 10:56 AM
I've been busy with Fusion (Zone is SO much harder than I thought it would be) and Monkeyball (if you're wondering, yes, Monkeyball 2: Rox) so I have been racing, but I've been away from the WO3 for too long. I took back my LS104 (1:30, hoo-yeah!) but what I'm really proud of is my (TT) Venom Terminal lap time: I broke the 30s barrier! Yay!
It only took me an hour or so to get back into the groove, it took me longer than that to remember what tricks to use where to get the best times.
I still have no idea how to improve my Vector Terminal (When I made that 1:15 I was pretty sure it could be beaten, but not by me, and here go you and zargz beating it by a solid 2 seconds! Geeze!) and I imagine it'll take a lot of practice to fix my Venom P-Mar. I assume you're using most of your hyperthrust on the double jump so you can clear the second chicane? I have trouble landing that one, flying is tough with the digital pad...

Lance
10th October 2002, 03:34 PM
i've hardly played wo3 at all for months, but i've played it on a couple of tracks in the last 2 days. yikes, i am back in FOURTH place on terminal in vector SR, the track that for 2 days i had the world's best time on. holy sheet, Jay! what the smeg are G and zargz doin' to us there?! i thought we were close to perfect there. sigh, so wrong. oh, btw, i've started driving phantom a bit, but not posted new times. we're all going to have to see if we can get a bit closer to Al on all these circuits, say... the length of the long straight on Porto Kora. although after that first lap, he'd be out of sight. ;)

i don't have the games to do the new DJT Challenge, so at some point in the near future, i'm going to have to start a new wo3 challenge, probably in something faster than vector class for a change ;)

zargz
10th October 2002, 07:08 PM
I'll have 2take alook @the tables 2see what happened the last month.
task did u get the cd I sent u?
pleez try'n find a wo3 ntsc 4me coz otherwise I cant compete with u guys .. :(

Lance
10th October 2002, 09:03 PM
zargz, i thought you already had your wo3 ntsc. btw, the times tables in ntsc land have pretty much not changed as far i can tell. [also, there are still a couple of obvious mistakes in at least 2 of them.]

Wiseman
11th October 2002, 09:06 AM
pleez try'n find a wo3 ntsc 4me coz otherwise I cant compete with u guys ..Yeah, I thought you had it too, how are you posting times on the NTSC tables then?

Anyway, I managed to race some Terminal TT Rapier/Phantom and Manor Top TT Rapier/Phantom today. Didn't beat either of my Terminal records but I did manage to beat my 1+ year old Manor Top Phantom TT record. But you have nothing to worry about from me there, Jay (still have me beat by over 15 seconds race time!)

I assume you're using most of your hyperthrust on the double jump so you can clear the second chicane?Yeah, that's how I do it, I don't think there's any way you can do that section otherwise. I've got landing it down quite well though, I actually have a VHS of me flying off the edge of the long curve after that part, it looks really cool!

(If you're wondering what on earth I'm doing videotaping myself racing, well, I do it sometimes when I get really fusturated with a certian part of a track, once I'm done, I can watch the video objectively and see where I need to improve at)

I've also been racing Wipeout and Wipeout XL recently, especially Firestar in the original. I love that track, I might make a contest with it sometime.

Task
11th October 2002, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I sent zargz a copy but his chipped machine got fried a while back so he hasn't been able to play it. I found a place I can buy a good copy and I'm sending it to him, he'll be able to compete with us again soon enough. 8 )

Dude, you study your taped races to improve your times? OMG, I think you might be more L33T than I...I... I may hafta try that out. Whatever it takes to go faster, right?

Someone: "Jay, I hear that if you tape pickles to your head, you can shave two seconds off your Rapier times!"
Me: "No way! Cool!"
(time passes)
Me: "Well, it took a while, but I took off three seconds. I don't think the pickles are helping much, though."

zargz
11th October 2002, 04:21 PM
thanx task .. no! .. thanx J .. or? .. aehum ..
as far as I see there's nobody here called J so y dont u take that name?
wasnt that what u call uself out there (on the web)?
remember when I was Ramirez 4 awhile? 4 the then new forum ..
it got confusin so I just mailed infox and he changed it back.
with everybody here calling u J ..
u should ask him to change task to J no?
just an idea ;)

*changeing to wait mode* (waiting for the wo3 cd)

Lance
11th October 2002, 04:55 PM
argh, you guys all play way more than me. it's gotten so i almost never play any game other than wo3 and only play that for maybe 2 consecutive sessions once every month or two. possibly this is the reason i don't have a string of first places. [yah yah, Lance, you just keep telling yourself that. it couldn't pOSSibly be insufficient talent. :D ] must get busy. it seems like in any hotly contested race, i tend to come in behind foxzero, wiseman, jay task, and zargz. and in phantom class, al sartwell as well. out of the medals, yuck. [as in The Prisoner, they call me Number 6]

enough moaning

if it's going to take a long time for that multi-game challenge proposed by DJT to get rolling, we should start something more limited to keep ourselves entertained and sharp. now that i can at least put in the occasional rare 'perfect lap', i.e. not smashed my ship into a wall, in rapier class on easier circuits, i'd like for it to be in rapier or phantom. i may still be relatively crap afterwards compared to the top finishers, but i'll be better than i was before the challenge. this is ''a good thing''

xEik
11th October 2002, 07:46 PM
Talking of not having opportunities to play WipEout? I probably won't play it until Christmas. :cry: My records are just there hoping not to be attacked very much since they can't be defended.

On a side note, I realised that I'm already a Senior Wiper. Wahey! 8)
Well, compared to Lance, 150 posts don't seem that much :roll: but, hey, I'm in the new forums since the first day (can't say the same from the old ezboard ones, though). The problem is that I can spend a whole week only reading and then the day I decide to write something it can be four posts in a row.
I should give up 'burst posting' :P

However, I have to agree that, since Fusion was released, the rate of challenges and Timetables updates has dropped dramatically. Although I won't be able to take part in, it would be nice to see some activity again. :wink:

PRACTICE HAS ALWAYS LED AND WILL ALWAYS LEAD TO PERFECTION !

zargz
18th October 2002, 03:26 AM
gutdamit! I've been checking the tables and I c leonardo cruz
is breakin my cojones Big time! :o :evil: :-? :( :roll: :P :wink: :) :D 8)

Wiseman
21st October 2002, 06:39 AM
Well, I was able to race some this weekend, and, needless to say, my times sucked royally. :lol:

I tried racing some Stanza Inter SR Phantom, and I barely was able to get 1st place, least yet get a good time! :lol:

Only "good" thing I can say is that somehow I was able to get a 2:26.83 race time for LS101/NP62 SR Phantom, which should help me keep my distant 2nd place from Al, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, at least my "natural" skills have improved, in that I can pick up the game after a long time of not racing and race a lot faster than I would have doing that same thing a year ago.

Lance
21st October 2002, 07:16 AM
G, actually, i had already beaten your distant second place, which i suspect you know, since i mentioned it up there somewhere, i think, maybe; but you are now ahead of me a bit. hm... i shall have to do something about that

Wiseman
21st October 2002, 08:02 AM
G, actually, i had already beaten your distant second place, which i suspect you know, since i mentioned it up there somewhere, i think, maybe; but you are now ahead of me a bit. hm... i shall have to do something about thatSeriously?

::looks at time charts::

Whoa, go Lance! 8)

Nope, I reread the topic, and you didn't say anything about it, doesn't matter, didn't know it anyway.

Hmmm, what other of my Phatom times have you managed to pass right on by... :wink:

Lance
21st October 2002, 03:46 PM
well, ..ahem.., that's the only one ....so far [tries to summon up a threatening look]

i mentioned it somewhere, but i'm not sure where, although i may have just said that i had only one second place in phantom [and obviously no firsts. i mean, Al is there!], but maybe i didn't say what circuit. anyway, next time i'm in the mood to race, i'll see what i can do about that now thirdplace time

dang! on that track, i used to be fourth in vector, second in venom, first in rapier, and second in phantom. i'm gonna go cry now

Wiseman
24th October 2002, 06:04 AM
I was looking around, and noticed that you're several places ahead of me on some of the Venom times though, nice job! :)

I think there were some where you were ahead of Task as well.

And on not being first place on Phantom, be thankful Al doesn't post his times in any of the other leagues, although I have a funny feeling we would be giving him a 'run' for his Wiping skills on Vector, as a lot of his advantages over us are gone (not to say he couldn't beat us though).

Lance
24th October 2002, 01:24 PM
thanks, G. it's just cos you guys have been slacking even more than i have, i suspect.

yup. Thank Al that Al doesn't race in any of the other classes. as you say, vector might be the one place where we could get close [wishful thinking?] because with only 2 laps, which would somewhat reduce his advantage of consistent high performance, we might get in a flukily brilliant 2 laps in a row

Wiseman
28th October 2002, 08:17 AM
Actually I was referring more to the speed, not the amount of laps.

We can all race Vector without hitting any walls, all our times are getting better now solely on finding a better method of racing the track. Al's main advantage in Phantom is that he can race laps without hitting walls, something most of us can't do, but down on Vector, we can, so his margin of superiority is greatly reduced, possibly to none.

Lance
28th October 2002, 01:30 PM
we can hope this is the case.
meanwhile, i need to practice driving at phantom speeds. 2 days ago, for the first time, i drove phantom on manor top, p-mar, hi-fumii, and stanza inter. i see why Al sticks to phantom; even though all classes have their own difficulties in the quest for perfection, phantom is just the most exciting

zargz
30th October 2002, 02:10 AM
way2go lance!! :D

J, I still didnt get the cd ..
I'm begigning 2worry .. :cry:

Lance
30th October 2002, 04:06 AM
thanks, z

___

i'm wondering if the thailand government is so pissed at the posters in the Christina Aguilera video that they're blocking all shipments from North America!

mm... or are you back there, now?

zargz
30th October 2002, 08:14 PM
no .. :-? I'm trying 2make some money 2go there for @least a couple of weeks or a month.
what about those posters?? :o
havent seen them .. :roll:

Lance
30th October 2002, 09:32 PM
supposedly the two posters displayed in the boxing sequence translate into english as ''Thailand’s sex tourism'' and ''young underage girls''. some people in Thailand feel that this sullies the spotless reputation of Thailand and its wholesome tourist industry. the posters are apparently genuine posters from Thailand.

Lance
2nd November 2002, 01:20 AM
G: ive not beaten your time yet, but ive closed in a bunch.
on laptime, one-tenth of a second behind [27.27 set with an AG-S. also tried a Pirhana and got a 27.56 with it].
racetime is down to 2:28.90, 2.07 seconds back. set with an Assegai.

both of us can do way better; i'm only getting one or two 'perfect' wallbangless [WBL] laps per race, and i'm missing boost pads all over the place. and i can't be using hyperthrust in the right places.

hoo eeeee, this phantom class stuff is great!

Task
3rd November 2002, 02:35 AM
I found that while racing Phantom, anywhere I could use boost was fine. It's not like you've got a whole lot of time on the track, at Phantom speeds even the long straightaways go by in a second... Of course, that only holds for the tracks where you can pit. A lot of the tracks I just can't pit at Phantom, I get slower times. For those ones, I end up choosing one spot to boost and using it there every lap. By the time the race is over, I'm outta boost.
Still, the best part is in discovering when and where by yourself. 8 )

zargz: You still haven't gotten it? How long did it take to get to you last time?

Lance
3rd November 2002, 04:53 AM
i've been finding 2 or 3 places on some circuits where boost is useful. unless i can perfect pitting, though, i can only use little dabs of boost in each one, or i run out of boost and shield before those 5 laps are up, and i need shield energy when i lap the slower ships on that last lap or two. well, ive only gotten good enough on one track in phantom class to do any lapping, but i'm extrapolating in a very positive-thinking kinda way about the others ;)

_____

update on the update, G, i cut only one one-hundredth from my fastest lap, but i cut the racetime to 2:26.30, a lead of .53. Al is less than 19 seconds ahead! woohoo... sorta :roll:
if we keep pushing each other, we may actually get in sight of him. :o

oh, just for giggles, i tried a Feisar a couple of times. 2:38.03, and it can go faster. i was surprised. also tried Icaras. argh. tough to drive. after about three tries, i got to 2:39.xx. at my current level of skill, i found Assegai, AG-S, and Pirhana to all be about equal to each other. [on this course]

Wiseman
4th November 2002, 07:32 AM
Woo hoo! Great job Lance, I'll have to try to give you some challenge (I've noticed that you totally own me on that track in Venom and Rapier too!), as soon as I can drag myself away from playing Vice City. :lol:

Continuing on the thrust conversation, on this track, I usually only pit once every 2 laps, on the other lap (when I'm not pitting) I use the straightaway to put on full thrust. Just got to make sure I slow down in time to make the upcoming corner, hitting it would just make the whole fiasco worthless! :lol:

zargz
5th November 2002, 12:24 AM
Xactly what track r u talking about?

J, I dont remember but now it's been more than 2weeks!!! :o

is that the video where she 's showing her @$$ on a boxing ring?? :)

Lance
5th November 2002, 02:11 AM
the prototype 1 course. the one where FoxZero blistered us all severely in the vector challenge

i hope you get that ntsc disc soon

i do believe that is the video, yup. :)

Task
5th November 2002, 03:47 AM
zargz: I'm pretty sure it takes at least 2 weeks. How long was it between you sending SE and me getting that? That was a little while. It'll reach you before the WO3 portion of the tourny, that's for sure. 8 )

Prototype1: Oh, so that's the course that the action's been on! I hadn't checked that area in a little while. Wow, you guys have made some serious improvements there, haven't you? Okay, time for me to get into this... (time passes)... Okay, at least I've caught up to y'all now. Nice times, Lance, you're definitely getting the hang of the faster speed classes. I'll hafta put some more time into this one, I'd forgotten how much of a nice track this is. A good opportunity to practice with the airbrakes, that's for sure.

And good lord, what video are you guys talking about? No, wait, I don't think I wanna know. 8 D

In case you're wondering, no, I haven't taped pickles to my head recently. What I have done is played XG3. I keep going for the fire button to boost now dammit!

Lance
5th November 2002, 02:54 PM
thanks, Jay. maybe Al's information about the reflexes going when i hit 59 was off by a year :D

good going, yourself, on the phantom time; less than 18 seconds away from Al, now. we're closing in! we're gonna catch up, i just know it!
of course, he might put in an even more startlingly good time just before we get there. but that's more incentive for the rest of us, right?

but first, i'll see what i can do about your lead, next time i get a session in

zargz
5th November 2002, 11:57 PM
Task:
'zargz: I'm pretty sure it takes at least 2 weeks.
It'll reach you before the WO3 portion of the tourny, that's for sure. 8 ) '

let's hope so ..

lance:
'the prototype 1 course. the one where FoxZero blistered us all severely in the vector challenge'

grrrrrrrrrrrr .. I shouldn't have asked .. :evil:

'i do believe that is the video, yup. '

well then I'll hafta take anatha look @ it just 2c those posters .. aehum ..
I think then I'll look something like this .. :o

Wiseman
7th November 2002, 08:00 AM
LOL, you know what's funny about this?

Our 3 times are flipped for race vs. lap. Lance gets stuck in the middle either way though. :p

O.K., I think I'm at a point where I can stop playing Vice City now, already chased away the stupid evil tax collector (:D), so my businesses are safe for profits now.

I'll have a go at it tomorrow to see what I can do.

Lance
7th November 2002, 02:12 PM
[evil grin] that's okay, i'm the only one of the three of us who's got an overall first. :D
[however temporary and brief] :(

zargz
7th November 2002, 07:16 PM
I got the game .. and was so happy ..
but it didnt work .. :cry:
so it's the multiX in my machine that wont work
I dont get it coz it's an ORIGINAL!!! :o :evil:
well well .. some times u win some times u lose ..

Task
7th November 2002, 07:24 PM
Yeah, FoxZero is a _demon_ on this track. There's no way I'll ever beat him at Vector, but I'm sure that with a little practice I could take Venom and Rapier. 8 )

zargz: You got it, good! I didn't think it was gonna work for you. It's region 1, and you're not, that's why you need to mod your PSX before you can use it. I modded mine really cheap, but I'm handy with a soldering iron. You should be able to pick up a mod chip for $10 (no idea what that'll translate to for you, but it ain't 'spensive) and the provider often offers installation for the same amount. MultiX? What's that?

zargz
8th November 2002, 01:17 PM
that's the mode chip :D = my psx is allready moded!!
I was looking @my 'toasted' psOne and it's ntsc/J so that's y I could play the cd
u sent me b4. it has been modyfied 2play PAL games!! (I bought it in asia)
anyway my bro says it might not be fried so I'll go downtown 2 c if I can get some
kinda adapter fr 110 to 220 volt .. :roll:

Vasudeva
9th November 2002, 10:47 AM
On boosts:

Even on phantom there are places where to use them better... The long straight on Mega Mall, the pre-tunnel piece at Sampa Run... or the long straight in Terminal?

I recently was struggling at the Mall again... Next time I'll try to do Altima at SE. Why do so few people insert their times from the SE Classic tracks? We need a little competition here! :D

V.

zargz
10th November 2002, 10:21 PM
2days ago i got an adapter and it WORKS!!! :D I can play my new(2nd hand) ntsc wo3 !!! yahoo!! :lol:
and the psOne was NOT toasted as I thought (i'm not so technical but if it begins 2mell burnt then ..)
anyway .. lance? .. aehumm ..
check out the prototype1 track we were talking about some days ago will'ya? :wink:

Lance
10th November 2002, 11:46 PM
okay, i'll go look....

28 lousy little hundredths of a second?! argh.
grrrrrrr.
did it all [and more] on the second lap, eh?
okay, i'll try again sometime. something tells me those 28 hundredths are going to be hard to erase

congratulations, zargz :)

DJ Techno
11th November 2002, 07:48 PM
well, on a lighter note...

I have finally decided to post my Wipeout 3 Single Race times
just look for Mike Techno on any of the NTSC Single Race forums

off course, I do relise that I have to beat Icarus times