PDA

View Full Version : Trying every ship, which one to pick next?

guillaume
26th February 2009, 12:09 PM
When I started playing HD, I used every ship a bit until I got 8000 loyalty points. Then I settled for Harimau, after reading eLhabib's opinion about it being a good start ship.
After reaching 100K, I jumped in a Feisar. Then I picked Mirage.
I'd like to play every ship to 100K loyalty, but I don't know which one to choose next, and which one to choose after, etc.
The only criterium I'd like is that the transition may be as smooth as possible in terms of handling, like avoiding a Mirage to Piranha transition, for instance.

Please advise! :)

eLhabib
26th February 2009, 01:49 PM
Assegai or Goteki - those 2 are certainly closest to Mirage's handling.

EDIT: although, maybe it would actually be good to try a ship which is totally different handling-wise. This way you learn a lot about the tracks, like ways to approach a turn that you didn't know before. I learned a lot of new stuff when I switched to Auricom.

darkfaerytales
26th February 2009, 02:00 PM
if i were in you i'd try to master all them, little by little, step by step, you can do it:+

there's nothing better than variety in life - i will never get bored to repeat this mantra :P

:rock all ships rocks, even the ones that aren't up there:+

lunar
26th February 2009, 02:11 PM
I think you should just go through them to 100K in the order they are on the selection menu, then by the time you reach Icaras you will be awesome and the decision is taken out of your hands so you don`t have to worry. Also then you would vary your ship-style to learn more as eL suggests. Or you could just go in reverse order.

that`s what I would do, except I would save Icaras for zone mode only, and do Triakis first to get the bathtub-racing phase out of the way ;)

yeldar2097
26th February 2009, 02:39 PM
i'm currently doing the same thing as it happens.
here's my order so far: assegai, ag-systems, icarus, qirex, piranha, harimau, auricom
i quite enjoyed the massive change between piranha and harimau, and i think it did me a world of good.
not sure who to go to next. probs egx but i dunno yet.

Darkdrium777
26th February 2009, 04:07 PM
I'm a hardcore Goteki45 user, although after performing my tests (see the other thread), it opened my eyes about ship diversity. They're all frickin awesome :D
So I join in with the voices from the others: try them all.

guillaume
26th February 2009, 04:44 PM
Trying them all is already my goal. The question was more about the way to do it.
I wanted smooth transitions because if I jump in, say, Piranha right now I'm not gonna be good at it, which is gonna frustrate me, and I'm frustrated pretty easily with this game, like when I touch a wall..., and I'm not gonna like it, especially when I can only play about 5 hours a week.
BUT! You're probably right, maybe I should just suck it up, jump in Auricom or Piranha, and enjoy the difference! :g

yeldar2097
26th February 2009, 05:45 PM
well i was really surprised when i changed to/from certain ships. it was no where near as difficult to adapt as i thought it would be.
a few races to get used to it and after that it's (pretty much) plain sailing and refinement.
i've actually found that once i've got 100k i'm ready to change ship but i've loved every ship i've tried. god i love this game...

eLhabib
26th February 2009, 05:50 PM
you'd be surprised how quickly you'll adapt do a ship that handles totally different. usually there's just a few tight situations in which you really have to remember that you're sitting in a different craft now, and you have to take that corner another way.

EDIT: yep, yeldar beat me to it ;)

Cerium
26th February 2009, 05:57 PM
I'd say just find a ship that you think looks cool and give it a shot. So long as you avoid the whole going from one extreme to the other, the differences between them won't be enough to throw you off your game.

EDIT:
@eLhabib:
And you both beat me. Even worse is that it seems it took me almost 15 minutes to write two sentences...

eLhabib
26th February 2009, 06:06 PM
ah, you probably do the same as me, which is opening all new threads in a seperate tab and then reading them one after the other, right? ;)

Mateo
26th February 2009, 11:53 PM
i'm doing the same thing, but i'm never flying one ship from 0-100k. for me it's more fun changing the whole time. first i maxed out the combination ag-systems/feisar/qirex and at the moment i'm doing harimau/mirage/assegai/piranha (alle between 35k-50k atm).

it's pretty strange flying different crafts every day, but you get used to it, there are just sometimes little accuracy problems (e.g. i scratch much more often the walls on sol2 than normally)

Constrictor
27th February 2009, 06:33 AM
One ship at a time from ~10k to 100k. Currently Harimau (don't like this one *sic*, though it looks good in blk/yel painting imo ) at 85 k. Soon this will be over. 4 to go. Next one will be muricom or goteki. quirex and Piranha are for the finals. But before that I'd backup my profile.

alterego
27th February 2009, 07:25 AM
Hi All.

who knows me knows how I am in love with agsys ;)

but i want to reach 100k on every ship....for now i reach the goal with feisar,goteki,piranha and agsys.....next one maybe qyrex or icaras.

Online i use almost always feisar or agsys
offline i use also icaras for my tt or bl

but.....now....in view of race in a death match :) ......It's better if i try to use a little 'the Stone' Triakis.... :D

Read you soon!
CdRom

Tovslan
8th March 2009, 05:02 PM
Great thread!

I will now stop looking for "the best ship", say goodbye to sleeping and master them all.

Lightlord
10th March 2009, 02:59 PM
Heh I'm working on the 100k myself as well done Feisar, AG Systems, Piranha, Triakis, Auricom and Icaras. So far now working on Goteki 45 its interesting to play with the other ships throughout the 100k gives you a proper insight into the strengths and weakness each craft have when you actually use them rather than going by just the stats.

Eloï
10th March 2009, 05:56 PM
I wish we could go over 100,000. As a perfectionnist I don't like to see these loyalty points wasted after each race... but I don't want to part from my harimau because of this... :brickwall
That ship has a unique handling.

superpj1
11th March 2009, 11:46 AM
So far I used Icaras (my favorite ship) whatever happens. But I've noticed that when you take part in a race with a lot of contestants, it's better to use a ship with a better shield otherwise everyone will shoot you and you will explode in 5 minutes :brickwall

JJPAP
11th March 2009, 12:14 PM
... and you will explode in 5 minutes :brickwall
Hopefully it never takes you 5 minutes to finish any of the 16 tracks ;)!

I have had the same thought: Pick a ship with a better shield - survive a little bit longer. But it doesn´t seem to work out that way - for me at least. I´ll explode even faster because of wall-scraping and hitting bombs/mines, I would have avoided using a lighter and more manoeuvrable ship.
What I like to do is "warming up" using some less manoeuvrable ship like the Piranha.a. or Triakis, then going back to my beloved and now even more responsive Feisar.

Motorsagmannen
18th March 2009, 09:43 PM
personally i dont like the ships with handling under 70, especially on rapier and phantom. so for me the triakis and auricom will prob never reach 100k ( the pirahna gets of the hook cause its friggin cool ;) ). the icaras was selfexplanatory in my book for diciple because of its awesome lack off shield pluss high speed,and decent boost and handling. now i tend to use mostly Harimau, AG-Systems or EG-X.

darkfaerytales
20th March 2009, 08:24 PM
a 70 isn't decent, 70 is quite scanty, or mediocre/insufficient

a 70 should be equivalent to a 2 over 5 in the old stats scale

Motorsagmannen
20th March 2009, 11:56 PM
yes i see your point but im talking premairly off the feel between the ships with 60 vs 70 handling, imo theres a bigger gap between 60-70 than 70-80.
i have thought about putting the old scale on the new stats too, but in the end im not focusing on the number but the ships to which the number is attached.

IDReaper
21st March 2009, 02:25 PM
I actually find the handling stats to be rather relative to the craft's particular handling style. For example out of the three 60-Turn ships, I find Auricom most comfortable because the steering feely tight, unlike the looseness of Triakis and Piranha. So if you know the track well Auricom's stiff handling feels like and accuracy bonus and prevents excess movement that can lead to wall collisions. You just have to set up for turns well. As for the OP's question, I wouldn' say try Auricom if you don't want a large jump, because in all honesty from Mirage to Auriom is quite the leap. 70-Turn ships like Goteki45 or EG-X however would be smoother transitions. The high thrust of both of those machines would help counterbalance any handling loss you might feel. Then again you might like the good swing both of these ships have the same way I do :D

Motorsagmannen
22nd March 2009, 03:15 PM
big fan of the goteki 45 and eg-x myself

guillaume
25th March 2009, 01:09 PM
As for the OP's question, I wouldn' say try Auricom if you don't want a large jump, because in all honesty from Mirage to Auriom is quite the leap. 70-Turn ships like Goteki45 or EG-X however would be smoother transitions.
EG-X it is! And indeed, it only took a few races to adjust, thanks for the tip! :)

guillaume
2nd June 2009, 12:10 PM
Allright, by my next HD session I'll have maxed out EG-X, so...
I'd like a slightly heavier ship better than a slightly lighter ship. Which one fits? Goteki?
I have to say it's been only a few hours of racing since I've started enjoying EG-X... And I hardly see anyone using it online. Not the most pleasing ship it seems.
More than two months since my last post... I'm nowhere near the end of this!! :g

IDReaper
2nd June 2009, 12:59 PM
Goteki does feel slightly heavuer in that its steering is a bit more sluggish, but the high level of thrust and the narrowness of the hull cancel that out, making it good for accellerating out of tight turns(come race me on chengou and I can show u;) ) and leaving the pack behind at the start. Do you like slow sensitivity in your ships handling? I didn't reccomend it before but if you need a heavier ship for stability Auricom is probably your best bet. Definitely heavier and does steer as bad as the stats may say. A bit more sluggish as well, but if you know your line I find hat Auricom is deadly accurate because it isn't all twitchy like some other ships.

Spece2goin
2nd June 2009, 01:12 PM
when it comes to Phantom Race, i can't do without my Harimau, because i didn't have many hours of practice.

But on lower classes, i'm free to chose the ship i want, and i play EG-X mostly for it's speed vs handling.
i tryed Auricom only once and i thought i didn't have many time to play to waste it with a ship i can't control and need more hours to master.

but if i were you, and able to play everyday, i'll play every ships
and with Eliminator mode, it will be easier to play ships you don't like in a race.

I'm like that, i don't want to see 11 of the 12 ships wasted in my garage, and want to use them! but i have a lack of play time in HD

for me it's like using every single weapon in unreal tournament3 (the pew pew link gun owns but is a bit hard to hit with, and there are not many players who take it)

guillaume
3rd June 2009, 12:02 PM
Tried Goteki today, and it feels better than EG-X already. Thanks again IDReaper! :)
Using EG-X must have helped, because last time I tried Goteki it felt slow and hard to manoeuvre, whereas now, even it's still hard to turn, it feels fast!

IDReaper
3rd June 2009, 12:24 PM
Hey good to hear you enjoy Goteki45, my fav ship definitely. Yeah the monstrous thrust is very exhilarating:D

Constrictor
5th June 2009, 10:51 AM
Just to show-off a little: 45k w/ Triakis :blarg left until ... what is it 12 x 100k or is it 14 x 100k ? ... whatever. I'm really proud w/ myself for achieving this unofficial trophy soon. And all that right before HD Fury will hit the street. And for the time being, I've no idea what ship is or will be my favorite: Feisar, Harimau, Auricom, AG, Goteki or Piranha ... ? And what will be the next challenge ... CU

edith says: Triakis - 100k points - DONE!

Connavar
17th March 2010, 11:04 AM
I'm now feeling the original Icaras very well, using it in SL/TT I guess.
The ship was the best looking one in HD, out of 12 ships, now it appears to look
even better because there are 24 different ships (excluding Zone and Detonator).
Icaras+ on the other hand, is a real monstrosity...

Also the "7" handling is perfect because it prevents me from zigzagging too much,
forcing me to learn the track too. Right now online I'm using EG-X or Goteki,
also 7 handling ships so the feeling is about the same as Icaras.

(Phantom class)