PDA

View Full Version : Zone Hell!

Hyper Shadow
13th February 2002, 09:48 AM
Does anyone have any handy hints for Zone mode cos I'm simply stuck on Mandrashee 3 (the second level) and I am always dying around Zone 24-27 and it is so annoying!!!!

Nearly got all gold on Challenge and time trial so this is really doing my swede!!

infoxicated
13th February 2002, 10:01 AM
Yeah - me too.

It's the last two corners and the hard left as you come up from the underwater tunnel that always seem to catch me. Even on the first lap!

Strangely I make fewer mistakes as it gets to around zone 20 or so - I find the slower speeds catch me out. But the damage is usually done by then.

I'm thinking of borrowing a NegCon from work to try and give me some more control.

As Heaven Is Wide
13th February 2002, 11:44 AM
Seeing as how i am top of that league at the moment (im really chuffed about it actually :grin: ) i feel i must try to answer this one. umm first of all a little tip (im not sure if it actually works though) if you hold down the down button (while steering) it seems to improve it especially on the upward spiral coming out of the tube (foxy). its very hard to give more tips (im no good at this sort of thing) but ill try anyhow. try to avoid some of the speed up pads at the end of the underwater cavern (not the tube) as this will help on the tricky turns after them (this will lower your score in the long run but i still prefer to do it). Thats all i can think of at the moment but ill try to come up with some more asap.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: As Heaven Is Wide on 2002-02-13 12:51 ]</font>

UncleZeiv
13th February 2002, 11:55 AM
:hyper :fox, it's the same for me. I've got golds everywhere but in the zone. And if it is so difficoult the second sector, I don't want to think how tough can be sector 10! :eek:

:heaven, my congratulations... Which sector have you reached?

As Heaven Is Wide
13th February 2002, 11:56 AM
Call me chris or widey if theres more than one (thanks for that infox) and ive done everything in the game 100%

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: As Heaven Is Wide on 2002-02-13 12:57 ]</font>

UncleZeiv
13th February 2002, 12:00 PM
Whoa, Chris! :eek:

As Heaven Is Wide
13th February 2002, 12:09 PM
Hehe thanx for the :eek: but i think i few people have done 100%

infoxicated
13th February 2002, 12:45 PM
Still - top marks, I've been playing it for over a month (granted only during my lunch hour for most of it) and I'm only at around 62%!

As Heaven Is Wide
13th February 2002, 01:03 PM
Thats not bad for an hour a day though. i think i might be playing it too much.....na hehe

Lance
13th February 2002, 04:19 PM
congratulations, Chris.

i am definitely not playing it enough; i've
made no progress at all! :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-02-13 17:21 ]</font>

As Heaven Is Wide
13th February 2002, 07:02 PM
Thanks lance and everyone else who has/will congratulate me (although i dont see why (unless its about my zone mode scores :smile: ))

P.S I really hope youre joking

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: As Heaven Is Wide on 2002-02-13 20:12 ]</font>

Lance
13th February 2002, 07:56 PM
i'm sorta joking; i'm a Fusionless North American.

Wamdue
13th February 2002, 09:34 PM
hahaha, doing my swede? hehe, funny expression, how/what does it mean and originate from?

Dado
13th February 2002, 10:40 PM
On 2002-02-13 12:55, UncleZeiv wrote:
:hyper :fox, it's the same for me. I've got golds everywhere but in the zone. And if it is so difficoult the second sector, I don't want to think how tough can be sector 10! :eek:

Muahahahaha, You sux big time :smile:)

This is not a question, this's my signature!
Dado, are you spanish?

UncleZeiv
13th February 2002, 11:16 PM
Hey! This one seems to be a wipeout developer... only people from the moon could have coded such a sucking respawn (not to mention autopilot!!!) :razz:

As Heaven Is Wide
14th February 2002, 09:25 AM
How are you doing in the game then dado?

infoxicated
14th February 2002, 09:45 AM
I think he's finished it... literally! :wink:

As Heaven Is Wide
14th February 2002, 09:51 AM
"i dont get it" (quoting fomr homer simpson)lol

P.S I just noticed but it never says when youre on the board infox (so im not always alone :smile: lol)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: As Heaven Is Wide on 2002-02-14 10:57 ]</font>

infoxicated
14th February 2002, 10:04 AM
Because I'm on my computer at work I don't have it set up to keep me logged in. (Wouldn't want to be misrepresented by some sly individual...)

That's why I always show as a Guest. :smile:

As Heaven Is Wide
14th February 2002, 10:07 AM
Ahhhhh i see. whats it like there anyway?

P.S i just noticed ur name on there now, i also just noticed how often i stray from the subject.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: As Heaven Is Wide on 2002-02-14 11:09 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: As Heaven Is Wide on 2002-02-14 11:24 ]</font>

infoxicated
14th February 2002, 10:40 AM
It's cool - nice people. :smile:

(But then I had to say that!) :wink:

As Heaven Is Wide
14th February 2002, 11:13 AM
hehe. Anyway back to the original subject (if you still need help). Try not too look at any of the stats (sheild energy, score etc) because there really is no need (it doesnt make any difference knowing really) and it means that you are looking away from what ur supposed to be doing. Also when steering around a corner i tend to look more towards the inside edge of the track (this sounds stupid i know but) this is because the inside edge is (nearly) always the same shape as the corner, whereas the outside one usually gives a little more space and if you use the extra space too often you will usually find yourself hitting the wall when the track narrows again. Apart from that theres always the general racing game tip of starting on the outside of the track then steering in earlier so that you are already turning when the corner begins. Hope all this helps (tell me if it does or not)

Zebula77
14th February 2002, 12:59 PM
Good tip Heaven. It's better to steer early than late. If you steer too early, you'll only get a slight nudge from the inside corner, whereas if you steer too late, you risk scraping the wall and losing more energy. Hope this made sense.

Hyper Shadow
14th February 2002, 01:30 PM
@Wamdue,The phrase 'doing my Swede' was a favorite phrase back in the days of high school between me and my friends, it generally meant 'doing my head in' but sounded a bit funnier, no racial pun intended though.

I've played Fusion for about a week now (12hours, 43mins) and am about 78%-80% of the way through the game.

A little thing that I've picked up on though is that on the progression screen it says 'Features - 100%' yet I havn't unlocked all of the Gold chalenges yet, so the stat isn't nescessarily true.....hmmmm.

Wamdue
14th February 2002, 04:50 PM
oh dont get me wrong! im not offended in any way! i think its an excellent expression! :wink:

As Heaven Is Wide
14th February 2002, 04:58 PM
Replying to zebula 77: Glad you found it useful.

P.S call me widey

As Heaven Is Wide
14th February 2002, 10:38 PM
Another tip, (this one i didnt realise myself doing until now) just tapping an airbrake button (on its own) is a very good way of making very slight turns (very handy at higher speeds)

UncleZeiv
15th February 2002, 12:44 AM
Well, I finally managed to pass sector 2 after a row of sessions reaching zone 29... :-
Now I'm on cubiss which doesn't seem so difficult (anyway I reached zone 24)

As Heaven Is Wide
15th February 2002, 09:28 AM
Good for you, hope to see you on the leagues soon.

UncleZeiv
15th February 2002, 09:14 PM
Things are getting better now. Today I reached sector 5 in 45 minute, which is a great achievement for me :cool:
I posted some time too... but most codes were not accepted (stupid font!) and I was almost everywhere recorded as a g-tech while I used a Piranha. :???:

As Heaven Is Wide
16th February 2002, 12:54 PM
Yeah it takes a while to get used to that font, a general rule with it is that there are certain numbers and letters they dont use (cos they look too similar to something else), some of these letters are v,5,8,0 (zero) and z. Hey infox if you have any access to the font used for the codes maybe you could put a guide for them on here in the features section or something (just a suggestion it probably aint necessary)

infoxicated
16th February 2002, 07:39 PM
That's a good idea, actually - anyone else want that?

Hey - I got to Zone 30 on Mandrashee today. Could probably have hit 32, maybe, but I got a bit overexcited at hitting Zone 30 and I went all over the place.

Anyhow, on my first attempt at Cubis I got to Zone 24, but I'd been playing for almost three hours at that point, so I decided to save and give my eyes a rest. Thanks for the advice, Widey - it was watching the inside corner instead of just trying to stay to the center of the track that made the difference. :smile:

As Heaven Is Wide
17th February 2002, 12:12 PM
Im glad you found the tip useful. Cubiss float 1 is actually one of my favourites for zone mode, it seems tricky at first but once you get used to the trickier corners (you probably know which ones im talking about) its not so bad.

P.S i came up with a good idea :grin: (thats rare for me)

P.P.S (or was that P.S.S i cant remember) i like the egr pic beneath ur name

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: As Heaven Is Wide on 2002-02-17 13:21 ]</font>

Hyper Shadow
17th February 2002, 05:32 PM
And I'm still on Mandrashee (sobs).

As Heaven Is Wide
17th February 2002, 05:46 PM
What zone are you getting to now then?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: As Heaven Is Wide on 2002-02-17 21:27 ]</font>

Hyper Shadow
17th February 2002, 09:11 PM
I just managed a 28 (16 seconds to go). I thought that I nearly had it but I mainly seem to be scraping around the underwater S bend and the final turn before the water exit. I can do it on the first lap but I seem to drift into the walls no matter how hard I try.

I've just 100% the rest of the game now, managed to do the first G-tech challenge and the gold challenge. That puts me at 96%

P.S.
@Widey, I've set a challenge for you in the arena (and anyone else who wants to join in)
@infox: I think that a legend for the font would be a godsend, cos I can't stick half of my times on the fusion league cos I can't decipher that font.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hyper Shadow on 2002-02-17 22:13 ]</font>

As Heaven Is Wide
17th February 2002, 09:50 PM
With those corners just try to stick to the left before aproaching them (to avoid the speed up pads) and turn in early. The only other suggestion i can make is to keep practicing (i know this doesnt help but it works)

Hyper Shadow
18th February 2002, 09:56 AM
I finally managed to get to Cubiss Float! Yahoo!! It helped breaking my lap record in the Piranha for a few laps to get good handling at high speeds.

The Cubiss Float track shouldn't take too long to complete, just the last corner and a deceptive slight right/left/curve right to get to grips with.

As Heaven Is Wide
18th February 2002, 12:56 PM
Yeah those are the tricky corners (i suppose you know how to do them though), the only other tough one to look out for is the one right after the first drop cos at higher speeds you jump down this (this is how i usually end up finishing).

UncleZeiv
18th February 2002, 08:33 PM
Once I passed sector 2, completing zone mode was not that difficult :grin:
So I reach Chris at 100% ! Whoo-hooo!!! :eek:

_dave_

As Heaven Is Wide
19th February 2002, 08:57 AM
Good for you, Whats ur name on the league tables, i'll keep an eye out for you.

UncleZeiv
19th February 2002, 05:18 PM
It's the same: UncleZeiv :cool:
Anyway I didn't achieve any interesting time, so I posted just a few