PDA

View Full Version : What HUD variation do you use

Feisar Ltd.
16th February 2009, 08:40 PM
Personally I use the Wip3out hud, so refined and minimalistic....

GreenPhazon
16th February 2009, 08:52 PM
I tried the others, but the standard HD one is so clear. I'd prefer there to be a shield bar like in other game as opposed to the weird gauge at the top of the screen.

LOUDandPROUD
16th February 2009, 08:55 PM
Ditto and ditto!

Darkdrium777
16th February 2009, 09:10 PM
Hasn't this been posted before? I have a feeling of deja vu... Maybe it's just me. :?

Anyways, currently I'm using the default HD one, although I might switch because I hate it when the numerals for the shield go off the screen when you get hit with a weapon. Doesn't help when you go critical, it's when you need it the most, and the numbers stay off the screen for so long it seems... Uhh :(

Before I was using WO3, I might switch to WO3 again.

Cerbis
16th February 2009, 09:48 PM
I personally stuck to the HD HUD, since I felt it a bit easier to read in the midst of hectic moments but there's no denying the sheer aesthetic refinement in the Wip3out HUD.
I might go back to it and get a little better at reading it, it really is just gorgeous at 1080p.

blackwiggle
16th February 2009, 10:51 PM
I use the HD HUD mainly because I find the proximity gauge a lot easier to read than the others.
A must when you race in cockpit view.

CaptainWipeout
16th February 2009, 11:47 PM
I use the HD HUD mainly because I find the proximity gauge a lot easier to read than the others.
A must when you race in cockpit view.

I'll second that.

Connavar
17th February 2009, 12:15 AM
2097 hud here, I just tried the wip3out hud, it does look good but it's very difficult to see
how much energy you got, compared to the 2097 hud, so i exploded a few times :)

I don't think it has a proximity sensor, and anyway I found that the best way to win a race
is to focus on the track itself rather than the racers behind.

guggle
17th February 2009, 12:17 AM
Being the huge WO 2097 fan that I am, I was rapt to unlock the HUD from same game. But then I saw how dated it was - blergh!!! The standard HD HUD is the only way to go!

BARTgai
17th February 2009, 12:46 AM
Wipeout 3 hud here :) It's simple and has the normal layout (The HD hud shield gauge at the top and the pointless thrust/x button pressure thingy in its place messes me up all the time. Not to mention it reminds me of Fusion's hud :blarg)

Axel
17th February 2009, 06:53 AM
WO3 HUD all the way TBH. Once you know the tracks, the proximity aleart becomes useless as everyone more or less uses the same line.

Also it's clear and doesn't clutter up the screen like the HD HUD. 2097 HUS is purdy nice as well.

blackwiggle
17th February 2009, 11:04 AM
The proximity alert can be your best friend.

If you know the player immediately behind you,well you can double think them.

IE:They know you have run over a weapon pad,but they don't know what you picked up,or if you absorbed.

Nothing like your pursuer thinking they can creep up on you, and then you suddenly release a bomb after you have been holding it back for a third of a lap at Phantom speed. :lol

Can be a winning move.

Cerbis
17th February 2009, 11:25 PM
A'ight, now I've done a few laps against the AI with the Wip3out HUD, and I noticed that it's got all the warning lights that the HD HUD does, only not quite as apparent. I'll treat you to a quick-ish breakdown of the Wip3out HUD too, if that's not too far off topic? :)

Bottom left, you have your current time, and the time of your previous three laps, or four. I think it might depend on the speed class you're currently in.
Next to the big counter for your current lap time, to the right, is a smallish proximity indicator. It's a white box with a yellow arrow in it that goes left and right in the box to indicate where the opponent is relative to your craft. It is however microscopic and probably impossible to read on non-HD televisions...

The speed and thrust gauges have been combined into one, being a gray translucent bar that fills up bluish when you press the thrust button, with the actual speed being a white bar that fills the bar from the left, on top of the blue.
Thus, blue gives way for white as you gain speed.
Below this, you find your energy bar, which is less obvious. The white bit at the far left of it is actually the start of the bar, and the energy remaining is the darker gray bar to the right of this. As you lose energy you'll notice that the gray bar recedes, revealing an even more translucent bar beneath.
Thankfully, your remaining energy is also shown with white numbers to the left of the energy bar, same as with the numbers to the left of the speed indicator bar.

It really does work when you get used to it, and I find it stays more readable when things happens to your craft... with the added bonus of being positively gorgeous :g

Sideshow
18th February 2009, 08:30 AM
IE:They know you have run over a weapon pad,but they don't know what you picked up,or if you absorbed.

You can see if they absorb or not, provided you can divide your attention away from less important stuff like corners.

FrenkyV
18th February 2009, 08:12 PM
I get really distracted when i use others, so i'm sticking with HD

G-Hob
7th September 2009, 10:01 PM
What do you need to do exactly to unlock the HUDs from the old Wipeouts?

I've only played the game for a couple of hours so far (new PS3 owner) so I guess I'm stuck with the HD HUD for a while.

[EDIT] I found it here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/code/938148.html

G-Hob
25th September 2009, 06:54 PM
Wipeout 3 HUD all the way for me now I've unlocked it.

I much prefer having the energy on the bottom right than up top.

TheFrostE
25th September 2009, 07:15 PM
i personally dont like any of the HUDs. i would like the XL one but they did it wrong. and i would much rather just have the basic WO1 HUD....lots of memories and very streamlined look.

Aeroracer
28th September 2009, 12:22 PM
i think all the HUD's are crap. I want a HUD like you get on a fighter plane or spaceship. with grid and cross hairs..and flashing lights and dials..like to create the impresion your inside a ship.

Its nothing major as i think the game looks brilliant already i am just being fussy now:P

Sausehuhn
28th September 2009, 04:32 PM
I use the WO3 HUD and it's a shame there are no such variants for the Fury game modes. It's simply clear and minimalistic.
I would also like to see a HUD that maches the WOHD/Fury menus. So basically a crossover of the WO3/WOPure HUDs. Only with the WOHD font (which is Helvetia). I like the energy bar on top (WO3 zone HUD), so that can stay ;)

Koleax
29th September 2009, 10:51 PM
2097. My introduction to the series.

I was hoping you could unlock voices from previous games. Wouldn't that have been fun?

brummpahh
29th September 2009, 11:13 PM
2097. Fastest readout for me.
Don't need proximity alert, i'll hear you coming...

Koleax
29th September 2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah, there's something to be said for that. My surround sound speakers have proven to be invaluable.

afatsuoM
30th September 2009, 07:47 AM
2097. My introduction to the series.

I was hoping you could unlock voices from previous games. Wouldn't that have been fun?

2097 was also my introduction to the game. But I only use this HUD while playing Zone. In the other modes, I like the way the standard HD HUD presents it's information.

Woopzilla
30th September 2009, 01:26 PM
I find the Shield display and Zone 'list' on the left to be distracting in the normal HD view, so 2097 is nice in Zone Mode... It stops me glancing at how much HP I have or how many more zones until the next 'level'. Helps me focus more on the track and not ping-pong-ing to death while going for Zone Zeus. :P

I like using the Wip3out HUD for normal racing. Love the way it looks.

Kyonshi
30th September 2009, 05:10 PM
XL HUD for me. I played this game for so long i think it has fused with my DNA :lol

Also im deeply used to read XL HUD and pick-up symbols, i got no difficulty there. I like how the energy meter is displayed, couldn't be more clear. I actually dont need proximity alert, as i can hear an upcoming ship near my tail, and quite frankly, the thrill is way more exciting this way! :D

billychanxtr33m
30th September 2009, 05:44 PM
wo3 for zoning and hd for everything else

Skvall
5th October 2009, 09:09 PM
I use wo3 hud all the time.
it looks best and the menus looks the same so it fits the game perfectly.