PDA

View Full Version : rage-quit

AG-wolf
5th February 2009, 04:18 AM
YOu know those pansies who start doing crappy in a race/tourney and then just leave the game instead of sticking it through to the end?

I did that today. My first time. but jesus F****** christ I couldn't help it. Mines, mines, bomb, slam into the wall with 3% shield and explode. Happened like three times, all on tracks I was good at, too. I felt like a tool, and a part of me died inside... but I couldn't help it; it was that or be continually slapped in the face by my TV and PS3. Apologies to Chaos80, soccermums, and whoever else was on at the time... not like anyone necessarily cares, but still, I don't like being one of Those People.

anyone else dropped out of a race after being continually raped?

RedScar
5th February 2009, 04:45 AM
No, you finished what you start regardless how the race is going.

blackwiggle
5th February 2009, 04:56 AM
Chaos80 and his Assagai are well known for "Ramming the crap out of you".
You are not by your self in this regard.

Best policy I have found,is to let him run then KILL,far easier.;)

djKyoto
5th February 2009, 05:06 AM
I felt like rage-qutting after being smashed every god dam race by 'the4th's huge ass Goteki 45 ship against my little AG-S. But I finished it reguardless.

Darkdrium777
5th February 2009, 05:38 AM
I do that. I usually message the zone pilots about it though.

Case in point: I was eliminated by a noob with PA on who just crashed on my side and grinded my shields from 30 down to 3, and then well I died obviously because he then pushed me against the wall. Anulpha Pass Forward man.

PS3 was turned off the second after. :mad:

It doesn't happen often, it takes a great deal to make me RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEEEEE, but when it happens I just switch it off.

FatScarf
5th February 2009, 07:08 AM
ah that Chaos80 guys well known is he? I came up against him before and I wasn't much of a merry guy I tell thee :( Just disappears into the horizon.

alterego
5th February 2009, 07:13 AM
Hi All.

...for this feelings I prefer a lot single race......the next one.....maybe better.... ;)

but when i'm in a tourney and find some prob with other ramming pilots.......I don't shutdown ever......sometimes I've some disconnections.....but I ever advice my mates by msg.

Rage only....lonely...in my room I say very loud......'bastard!!!!!' :D

Do someone remember the first convention? :D

.....but rage away and remember......Wipeout phylosophy.....

Let's Be Friends!!!

read you soon
cdrom

Nadia Elenova
5th February 2009, 07:47 AM
AG-Wolf and others with low tolerance on ramming racers: Just change your mind, don't try to pass them and let you ramming, turn on eliminator mode and concentrate in using some serious fire power on them. Tension out, you don’t need to finish first, elimination is the goal. That way you can continue the tournament with a smile. :P

lunar
5th February 2009, 07:59 AM
True Qirex philosophy! That`s what I do sometimes. If someone has ruined my race with ramming I just make a new game called "eliminator". It soothes the soul. :banzai

I understand how frustrating HD can be at times, but also agree with Alterego to never forget the Wipeout motto ;) But it is hard to do. I once rage-quit playing Pure on Kai, and felt terrible about that, but never did it since. I have been close on HD, but try to remind myself that everyone is suffering the same problems. We are all getting rammed and having nightmare races. Thinking your own suffering is unique will make it worse. At the time I`m not so calm as that, but I try to be afterwards. I think the best way not to suffer the bad things is to be faster so no-one can hurt me, so that`s my goal even if I`m a loooong way short of it.:blarg

KIGO1987
5th February 2009, 09:03 AM
I felt like rage-qutting after being smashed every god dam race by 'the4th's huge ass Goteki 45 ship against my little AG-S. But I finished it reguardless.

You did quit in mid tournament a few weeks ago in the room Greenix was hosting, remember? First track was VinetaK, and i killed you with the leech beam? You pulled out a few tracks later in Sebenco climb.

I did pull out of a tourny with Andybob a few days back cause i was cleary getting pissed of the weapon non response. Last lap on Metropia, i said **** it. Then went on GTA4 straight after for some anger management. ****ing foul night to sleep, sticky, humid, and this new AC for some reason fells like its lost its gas. Gonna need to take it back. Christ, is everything built these days inferior and **** from previous years models?

blackwiggle
5th February 2009, 10:54 AM
Yes .
Everything new is inferior.
The attitude of most new racers are sadly NOT in the "LET's BE FRIENDS" mode

It's Kill Kill Kill,you MotherF-cker,Cheat,sh1t,Arseh0le...etc.

That's getting messages from those that have some sort of actual diction happening.:frown:

yeldar2097
5th February 2009, 10:57 AM
i must admit i did it a few times back when i started playing HD; i forgot that lag could be a factor and thought that everyone had some sort of vendetta against me.
not done it since i realised that mr.lag is the person i should really hate.
sometimes i get angry at people using PA and say "so you want to take advantage of my poor little icarus/ag sys? welcome to my world of pain, i nicknamed it triakis"
sorted

JJPAP
5th February 2009, 11:12 AM
I never quit! - (and I´ve had my arse beaten severely several times).
Unless:
1. The host changes speed-class milli-seconds before starting the race.
2. Disconnections from the internet (has happened less than 5 times during the period I´ve been playing WO HD).
3. I have to wait more than 52 minutes for the "Waiting for"-screen to dissapear.
4. My house is striked by lighting and the electricity goes bang-bang (has never happened!).
I simply don´t get why some would quit during a race because of journeys to hell or other racers - who also wants to win the race - are ramming them. Quit afterwards if it´s getting on your nerves. I´ll suggest doing Time Trial or Speed Laps instead.
Me myself, I would certainly do anything possible to cross the finish-line as no. 1. By wanting to do everything to win myself, I accept everything being done to me to make me the looser.

stinkleroy
5th February 2009, 12:26 PM
I'm with Yeldar on this one, it used to infuriate me too and in the early days I have quit a few races due to 'rammers'. Now that I understand that its most likely due to lag, it does'nt really bother me anymore and I can keep my calm.

Due to some rough and tumble during some Avalon races last weekend, I ended up upside down on the track twice! I just found that funny though.

:D

silverfoxy
5th February 2009, 12:30 PM
The only time I quit races is due to "real life" events. (I know, how dare something so trivial get in the way of something so important)

Having a Mrs, 4 year old girl and 1 year old dog means that emergencies or problems can strike at any time so apologies if I do disappear.

I still don't get the point of ramming though as surely it slows you both down allowing others to benefit. Never a tactic I've purposely employed

Firedshot
5th February 2009, 12:40 PM
I hate being rammed and i have left race's before when i've been down to 5% energy with in a lap and the guy you want to get past is weaving around trying to stop you from overtaking the just makes me mad! The only ramming i do is side shift on to the racing line if i've been hit so that i'll get rammed back up to racing speed. Works quite to lol

Connavar
5th February 2009, 01:13 PM
Trouble like yours happens often, but then I finish good last.
If I quit early it's usually network disconnects, or sometimes I need to do something else.

IH8YOU
5th February 2009, 02:14 PM
I must have something wrong. The races I get smoked are the ones I enjoy most! It drives me to play better.

I never emo-quit, except when my PS3 freezes or the network bricks. :(

AG-wolf
5th February 2009, 02:27 PM
I never said anything about being rammed into the wall :P

Though, I'll agree it bothers the **** out of me... I fly Qirex, I should be the one ramming people all over the track, but HD's physics engine doesn't seem to make that possible. It always feels like the other ships on the course are immovable and I'm just a paper-airplane, haven't quite grasped how to ram people and make it work for me. The only time it has any effect is when I turbo into someone's tail-end and they shoot forward, taking all my speed :P Being pushed around doesn't bother me enough to quit, because I've never been eliminated by it... and I figure it's par for the course for how brutal I used to be in XL and WO3.

I usually make it a point to stay in races, like I said that was the only time I've quit in the middle of it. I totally appreciate the sentiment of seeing things through to the end, but for sake of not totally destroying the $400 paperweight I bought to play WOHD, it was necessary -_- Glad I'm not alone at least :D

RedScar
5th February 2009, 02:50 PM
I must have something wrong. The races I get smoked are the ones I enjoy most! It drives me to play better.

I never emo-quit, except when my PS3 freezes or the network bricks. :(

Amen. If im losing it means I'm
a. racing like crap
b. the other dude is a great pilot

Generally its b, and to quit on a good racer is stupid and disrespectful.

Also, what the point of quiting? not like HD has stat tracking.

zeeZ
5th February 2009, 03:18 PM
I don't intentionally quit unless there's some imporant thing I gotta hurry for, and even then I at least try to finish the current race.

However if I get bombarded with bombs, have mines thrown in my face like some enraged kid would throw sand on the playground, pull an Icaras on every single turn and really feel the need to ragequit, I DNF. I hit the brakes right in front of the finish line and wait the few seconds left. It's a race that doesn't deserve to be finished :cold

Darkdrium777
5th February 2009, 03:38 PM
Just to clarify, I don't quit when I lose, I quit when bull**** happens and messes up my session. Like the elimination I talked about. I was second in that race and was eliminated by a noob we had lapped because he crashes into me.
So yeah I said **** it.

IH8YOU
5th February 2009, 03:48 PM
I'll agree that it can be annoying when you're about to get a 1st place global time, and the person you lap then screws you out of it - but this is to be expected! It's a game with weapons. Splosions happen! :lol

The only time I intentionally quit a race, is when my XMB freezes, and I only get to stare at my ship, floating idle, as people fly by. I h8 that! You can't even message people to tell them why you're not interacting, either. And after you restart, you can NEVER find that same room.

I think that's more annoying then when people quit mid-tournament, getting kicked out of your own, and not being able to go back for redemption! :blarg

KGB
5th February 2009, 03:54 PM
I never understand quitters, what are they gaining by doing it?

If I'm having a bad race and getting hit loads it does make me angry but the aim changes from wanting to win to damage limitation for me, if I'm at the back then the aim is to catch the next racer up.

I always try and get a positive out of it, though i know it tests all our patience to the extreme, when things go from bad to worse i sometimes don't know if i should laugh or cry.

Personally I have more time and respect for people who stick around who are being beaten badly, than people who may win one or two but then leave when they start losing, which i know happens, not so much on Phantom class which is mainly populated by people who understand the nature of the game more. But definitely on the lower classes who maybe are used to winning lots but hate losing so leave to find another less able room .:naughty

EDIT: Besides, you may have a couple of bad races, but how many more races will you have, thousands? You win some, You lose some.

AG-wolf
5th February 2009, 04:37 PM
"pull an Icaras on every single turn"
lol awesome description

"I never understand quitters, what are they gaining by doing it?"
not killing their ps3? :3

LOUDandPROUD
5th February 2009, 04:43 PM
@ KGB1971 - I agree with you 100%...my sentiments exactly.

KGB
5th February 2009, 05:13 PM
not killing their ps3? :3

Yes AG-wolf there is that. :lol what was i thinking about ;)

JJPAP
5th February 2009, 05:20 PM
Spot on KGB.
Maybe the best thing is to get beaten and then still carry on trying to get better.
When I´m racing, say Greenix, Wellington86 or Wotan999 (and a lot of other superior wipers), I know I´ll have a hard time keeping up with them.
What should I do:
1. Quit and pretend they don´t even exist (aka I'm - in my own little head -wiper no. 1 in the world)?
2. Practice some more and learn from what other wipers are doing better than me?
The answer is simple if you´ve become a WO-lunatic like me.
Regarding ramming: I think it´s obvious that ramming just for the fun of it doesn´t make you any faster, but your opponents slower - and you wont even see the rear end of the fastest wipers.
I dont care a f*** if i´m ramming other wipers because of sideshifting to keep my line. And if I´m side by side to, say, KGB1971 ;) just before the finish line (not that it happens often), I wouldn´t mind doing every dirty trick to stay in front of him.
See you on the tracks, when the smoke has dissappeared.

Firedshot
5th February 2009, 07:02 PM
I'll quit if i think i'm not in a race but i'm in a destruction derby. I don't care about loosing infact i love to loose!

GreenPhazon
5th February 2009, 07:06 PM
I will generally finish a race no matter how much I'm failing. I avoid tournaments because it's really annoying to see yourself lose to the same people over and over without being able to pull it back in any way other than being better.

Amorbis
5th February 2009, 07:11 PM
I personally never quit, at least not on WipEout. I do get very frustrated when I've been bombed, mined, rocketed and then bombed again with some extra quake but that doesn't drive me to quit. I'll cross the line unhappily rather than shamefully exit by my own will. Disconnecting is something else entirely and I get just as frustrated by that as I do when I get eliminated :bomb. If all goes wrong I'll "pull an Icaras", whatever that means :P.

I do quit on games such as Call of Duty when the connection is poor or me/my team is being really incompetent, but that's different too.

RedScar
5th February 2009, 09:21 PM
Point in case, today was racing in a tourny with 8 ppl, flash class doing the first 4 tracks in order. Half way through 4 people had already left, and it was only a battle between me and the second place guy. What fun is that?

GreenPhazon
5th February 2009, 09:36 PM
when I first started playing Pulse online, I barely finished a race or tournament without the other guy quitting.

Lightlord
5th February 2009, 10:28 PM
I don't quit generally I've only had to leave on occasion for personal reasons of more importance than the game, although I do agree that rammers are the most irritating players but constantly winning races as well does have that effect of making people leave also:(

YouAreFubar
5th February 2009, 10:34 PM
Ive never quit a race on WipEout due to WipEout rage and dont plan too. My PS3 does freeze up sometimes when I play WipEout online and I have to turn it off but I turn it straight back on and usually wait around for the race to finish and get back into the room.

I also generally avoid tournaments, mainly because if you set up a long tournament and you get a room full of people that arent as good as you, if they lose badly you start to lose them bit by bit which I do find quite annoying.

lunar
6th February 2009, 07:45 AM
I love to do tournaments, but on an SDTV there`s no way to know how many races there are in the tournament until after the first race. For some reason SDTV users don`t get this information on the lobby screens. So I have sometimes quit when finding out a tour is 12 races if I don`t have time for that. I wish SL would fix this :( Or buy me a a 50 inch Bravia, it`s their choice :)

silverfoxy
6th February 2009, 09:16 AM
I did a 12 race tourney yesterday. Started off with 8 people. I won each race by about 5-20 seconds. Was actually surprised that 4 people made it to the end as normally people disappear if they feel they can't win. Surely they would be better trying to keep up to see if they can learn some stuff ??

Also what annoyed me on a separate occasion. Was racing on Reverse Chenghou and I was putting in a decent few laps (for me anyway). It felt like it could be a PB anyway and the last person quit which was very frustrasting.

On an aside how has Wellington got the WR by 5 seconds on that course ?? How is 1.53 possible ?? Incredible racing

Asayyeah
6th February 2009, 09:39 AM
Welli is the current best pilot for few months, even his racetime is INSANELY awesome , few guys may think :" yeah it's because he got 10 or more turbos in the race" but what they forgot is you ll have to deal with those turbos , and it's not because you got plenty that you ll have the top score : you ll have to master the speed induced by the turbos and also avoid bombs and mines layed by pilots on the previous laps.
So hats off to master W86 Cheng reverse will be very, very, very hard to catch up !

back on topic : It happends to me to quit for reasons being mentionned previously ( internet disconnexion or sudden task to help parents ) but never intentionaly. I do respect people :)

silverfoxy
6th February 2009, 09:51 AM
Sorry to take it off topic but I just couldn't get over his time. About 5 seconds faster than the nearest rival. Incredible stuff and I take my hat off for it.

This chat is making me want to play instead of searching for a job which is what I should be doing.

Lightlord
6th February 2009, 06:19 PM
I have to agree as well that it is frustrating when the PS3 crashes particularly often when your in 1st, it bloody happens too much!!!
Sort it out Studio Liverpool

IH8YOU
6th February 2009, 06:28 PM
Silverfox - I'm battling the same demons.

Need job, but Wipeout has been neglected for over 2 days. :blarg

I now have a little more sympathy for crackheads. :lol

trentdf
7th February 2009, 01:00 AM
I have to admit i rage quitted once. The lag was absolutely terrible, and as a result i had been knocked off the track like 3 times. After that it felt like my hands were in control of themselves, before i even paused to think i had quit. :brickwallFelt sooooooo bad after that, and had to apologise to everyone racing.

Also i can see it happening again in the future- recently weapon pads have really been screwing me- on one occasion i hit a pad and it made the sound of a pick up- but nothing happened. "oh well" i though, i'll just go get another one. Nope. no matter how many times i flew over a pad it wouldnt give me a pickup. I also couldn't fire or absord my phantom item- luckily i was winning by a few seconds, or i may have broken my controller :cold

At least wipeout lag is only a problem in tight packs- being in australia and playing COD5 in the middle of the day with americans has to be one of the most enraging things you could possibly do.:bomb

KIGO1987
7th February 2009, 02:30 AM
or i may have broken my controller :cold

I have many....

Ive been rage quiting more and more frequently now. Really, really starting to go ape **** now. Also the reason why i havent done any new Zico attempts, i want to keep these two controllers as long as possible.

These bull**** lag ****ed me over quite well yesterday. We now have a new feature in online play called shape shifting bombs, that magically appear from nowhere, and off the edge on Sol2 we go. Is Houdini must be a pilot in one of the ships out there now, **** me.

This is why i do better online in Avalon weapon off races. Even though i actually preffer having them on.

Now i realise why Eliminator wasnt included in HD. Imagine the lag in that.

blackwiggle
7th February 2009, 07:08 AM
The whole HD online from the OZ servers is stuffed ATM.
Not much SL could do about it.

"Dirty deeds Done Dirt Cheap" Mode would seem the best way to play ATM for we in this part of the world.:o

chaos80
7th February 2009, 11:11 PM
I have never rage-quitted, although I have been near a couple of times when you get mines, mines, bombs, missile, ka-booom! :D

Chaos80 and his Assagai are well known for "Ramming the crap out of you".
You are not by your self in this regard.

WHAT?? Is that really my reputation?? :(
A bit unfair, if I do say so myslef, since I am being rammed just as badly as the next guy. I don't go out of my way to ram somebody, but when a ship is close and you feel you're being pushed to the walls or off the track, then of course I do what I can to avoid that, like everyone else. And with many players in the same small area, I guess it is unavoidable...

TheFrostE
8th February 2009, 12:06 AM
i have rage quit in other games...but never wipEout...it just pushes me harder to play much better and end someones life in the next race

Ally
13th February 2009, 09:28 AM
I think it's a bit much to expect everyone to go the distance when it just isn't going for them. You know how it is - every so often you go the whole first half of a tournament with the most rotten luck etc and it can't help but get to you. This is online gaming and I for one wholeheartedly reserve my right to bail out if I get sick of what's happening or who I'm racing against.

crawdad62
13th February 2009, 03:08 PM
I almost quit last night. It really wasn't a rage quit but more a boring quit. I entered a 5 race Rapier tournament that ended up being a 12 race Venom tournament on one track the whole time.

Eeeek! But I stuck it out.

Never raged quit. Actually never quit a race period.

Hellfire_WZ
13th February 2009, 03:53 PM
I will admit to rage-quitting on occasion, but only when encountering the absolute smelliest of bull:turd flying my way. Better that than having to spend £30 on a new controller and needing to crowbar the remains of the old one out of my dad's face.

guggle
13th February 2009, 09:14 PM
Never quitted on a race so far, and don't intend to. It all part of the learning experience. When you participate in a game that has destructive weapons and tight tracks and you race against a bunch of maniacs then this sort of thing is bound to happen from time to time, don't you think??

If im losing it means I'm
a. racing like crap
b. the other dude is a great pilot

Well said, RedScar - simple yet true!!

If, every time you get blasted away, you feel like having a cry, then go ahead, stick your thumb back in your mouth, hold your security blanket close to your face, and leave the race!!!

TorquedSoul
15th February 2009, 05:16 PM
I always try to finish ... sometimes I do so screaming red faced at the television screen ...