PDA

View Full Version : PSone - Warning!!

Wip3ou7
1st February 2009, 11:07 PM
So I picked up a PSone/LCD combo a few days ago so I could play WipEout with the neGcon anywhere I go... sounds awesome... Here's the reality;

After playing WipEout XL+neGcon+PSone(w/LCD) I noticed that on certain tracks there is considerable amounts of slowdown. It doesn't seem to happen on every track, only about half of them and only in certain areas, and only when there are lots of other ships around you. The game slows down to about 40% of its normal framerate. I noticed this the most on Valparaiso, and other tracks with lots of geometry, especially when going through tunnels or when firing a quake.

Since discovering this I have swapped my PSone with 2 others, so I have at this point tested 3 different PSone units, all exhibit the same symptom.

The 3 models of PSone I tested were:
"DATE CODE"s 1D, 3D, and "August, 2000"

I am very sad.

So yeah having a PSone+LCD+neGcon is very cool, but expect to only use it for Time Trials. Having slowdown in WipEout just kills the experience for me.

I haven't had a chance to test it with other WipEout games, but I will over the next few days.

If anyone else plays XL on a PSone and DOESN'T have slowdown, please flip your system over and report the model here. Thanks.

AG-wolf
2nd February 2009, 04:30 AM
wtf are you talkin about, XL always had slowdown whenever you had a lot of ships on screen. a good example is if you're pushing way far ahead of the pack early in a phantom race. The game is programmed to only let you pass like 4 or 3 normal positions per lap, so youll be in 12/11th place by the end of lap 1, 9/8th by lap 2, 5th or so by lap 3, then the AI for the last few positions is harder on the last two laps. If you power into the pack and get around like 8th place in lap 1, it slows down REALLY bad when you're surrounded by other racers because the game not only has to render all their ships, but has to simultaneously control each ship's individual racing line and dynamic. It happens on every grey PSX I've used, my fat and slip PS2s, my white PSone (with LCD screen, i might add), my PSP, and my PS3. It's just the game engine :)

Lance
2nd February 2009, 07:33 PM
Wip3ou7: Framerate slowdown on WipEout games for original Playstation console variants is normal, no matter what controller or display is being used.

AG-wolf: Calm down, man, no reason to get over-excited about this subject. :)

Wip3ou7
3rd February 2009, 01:45 AM
In all my years of playing WipEout on a PSX, and now on my PS3, I've never seen any slowdown. In fact I ran the same scenario on my PS3 and there was no slowdown whatsoever.

I sold the PSone.

I'll play on my PS3 with no slowdown untill I get my hands on a PSX again (I'll have to keep neG'ing it up on my girlfriend's PSX for now, at least there's no slowdown on that).

Lance
3rd February 2009, 03:15 AM
The oddest sensation I've gotten on WipEout is with WO3 on my PSX when piloting Qirex at the start on one or two of the tracks, Porto Kora, for one. Suddenly it will seem like the framerate has slowed but the ships haven't, and simultaneously like the Qirex is driving itself [with no autopilot pickup present] with a perfect line like I can do no wrong.

element42
7th February 2009, 05:55 PM
I have to say that I don't recall any slowdown when I was playing 2097 on a PSone + LCD combo. But it was a while ago now...

djb
10th February 2009, 06:08 AM
i use the same ps/lcd combo and havent noticed any greater framerate loss than i would normally get connected to CRT, i did read somewhere (and dont shoot me if im wrong) that using the wrong power supply could affect performance, the lcd unit should have come with a higher mA power supply. I have no idea if this is true, its just something i remember reading many years ago:)