PDA

View Full Version : motion control

subtotal
1st February 2009, 01:17 PM
they should have made the motion control the default setting for HD,so that more players would adopt it,i really thought most of you here would be using it.
ok it is harder but i feel more rewarding ,it works really well and only takes a few hours to get used to,
if it doesnt prove popular i'm worried they wont include it in future wipeout games on the ps3 , i cant go back to the stick

it should be to win a tournament not a single race for the trophy,then more would realise that its not that bad
i'd like to see them add the options for online so you can force motion control and cockpit view, i know that wouldnt be popular with most of you but it would create a level playing field

did SL think motion control would be more widely used than it is?

YouAreFubar
1st February 2009, 02:31 PM
Forcing a control scheme on a room of people online wouldnt really create a more level playing field. If you only allowed people with a certain TV screen size to join or making everyone race the same team would have a better chance of making it a fair race.

Fair play for making a go of it though, I myself just cant get the hang of it. Its the same on Mario Kart on the Wii, I just end up over-compensating and smashing into a wall. I just find the stick a hundred times easier.

crawdad62
1st February 2009, 03:30 PM
i'd like to see them add the options for online so you can force motion control and cockpit view, i know that wouldnt be popular with most of you but it would create a level playing field

How exactly would that level the playing field? The beauty is if you like motion control and cockpit view then you're able to use it. I don't prefer either. I watched a review of WOHD on YouTube and a guy was talking about using MC and said it was something you had to get used to and once you did you'd like it. I'm sure there's enough people using it that it ain't going away.

It would be cool to customize a room to any number of criteria though. Forcing your preferences on the whole community certainly isn't "leveling the playing field."

okam
1st February 2009, 03:30 PM
You would need a controller with better sensitivity for that IMO. I have the sixaxis and it seems to have a "dead space" meaning then you hold it level and start to turn it, you have to move it quite far before your ship responds. If it was tighter it could work though, but as it is I just keep finding myself throwing the thing back and forth for even small adjustments.

subtotal
1st February 2009, 03:44 PM
true ,forcing a room full of waiting racers would be unfair ,
i'd like to be able to create an online room with cockpit view and motion options so eventually i'd find people who play the same way as me,
the room would have info on it the same way speed class and race type is shown now ,
i've got a feeling i would be waiting in there a long time on my own though

fantaboy00
1st February 2009, 04:07 PM
You would need a controller with better sensitivity for that IMO. I have the sixaxis and it seems to have a "dead space" meaning then you hold it level and start to turn it, you have to move it quite far before your ship responds. If it was tighter it could work though, but as it is I just keep finding myself throwing the thing back and forth for even small adjustments.

you can adjust the sensitivity of the sixaxis to suit your flying. 100% sensitivity means that u only have to tilt the controller lightly to smash into a wall. I find that 40% sensitivity works for me. I only managed to get my motion master trophy on that setting last night! it is realy insane... and i dont think i will be flying that way anytime soon

crawdad62
1st February 2009, 04:15 PM
I think it's a really cool idea using the motion control but since you're holding it in 3D space it's either one tiring or two inaccurate since you can't keep it oriented.

I'll like a flight stick or wheel made specifically for WO. Just dreaming.........

subtotal
1st February 2009, 06:20 PM
i find the six axsis ok ,since playing phantom online more i've changed sensitivity up to 80% ,turning it down increases the dead zone , i might get a video together soon so you can see how little i actually have to move it

yes a purpose made controller.... for me wider with bigger airbrakes for more detailed control ,and no sticks !
any modders listening?

Mateo
1st February 2009, 08:17 PM
It's a pity that Sony never released the originally planned PS3-Controller which was quite big, and looked pretty cool, like a boomerang. This controller would have surely been perfect for motion control...

I always hated this little Dualshocks, my fingers always start cramping after using these built-for-small-japanese-hands-controllers too long. I still can't understand why everybody complained so heavily about how the new controllers should look like, so that the Sony people decided to not change the design. Next-Gen console with Last-Gen controllers...:rolleyes:

gbit
2nd February 2009, 06:50 AM
For a game like wipeout, having a discrete input method is key, it simplifies the game when playing on phantom speeds. A continuously variable input method needs a fixed base to be truly useful, and the sixaxis just sits in your hands, there is no real point of reference. I wonder how WO:HD controls with a steering wheel? Maybe I just haven't tried the motion control enough, but the physics system they introduced with pure just feels 'right' on a d-pad, even more so than the old wipeouts.

subtotal
2nd February 2009, 09:39 AM
yes that boomerang controller would have been better for motion control,it would be good to see a controller released for bigger hands

i used to play wipeout on the ps1 with a wheel ,the gear knob controlled the pitch but air brakes were impossible due to lack of paddles ,has anyone tried HD with a wheel?

guggle
10th February 2009, 01:34 AM
I used to play WO 2097 with a Mad Catz wheel on PS1 and it was fantastic - it was like the wheel was made specifically for WO!!! The air brakes were controlled by buttons placed where your index fingers rested behind the wheel.

I've tried two Logitech wheels (Driving Force Wireless and Driving Force GT) with WOHD and I could never get them to work properly. In both cases the force feedback made the steering too hard, and I couldn't change the foot pedal assignments - all they would do is raise and lower the pitch of the craft.

klax75
10th February 2009, 05:09 AM
For me, being disabled, I don't like all the sixaxis stuff. Since I play games to do things I can't actually do. Now so many games are based around movements I can't do. So bringing my real life limitations to the virtual world. Which is kind of depressing.

The prefect controller for WOHD would be. Does anyone remember the old Arcade game Star Wars? The trench run, it was a wire frame 3D game. Way back when. They had a sit down version. Now the control system on that was kind of a yoke. It was a steering type wheel, yet had two grips mounted on each side. It could turn like a wheel, but the grips could be tilted back, and tilted forward. But the whole thing could be turned like a steering wheel left or right. Now make something like that, where you control pitch with your hand grips. It had triggers for your weapons and buttons for your thumbs. Now put F1 type paddles on the back, for air brakes. Unlike a Air Plane yoke, the middle section doesn't move forward and back. Just the two hand grips would tilt. It would be perfect for WOHD, since you could put a gas peddle on the floor, even a brake, that would automatically put both air breaks out. To give you other foot something to do.

I personally wouldn't be able to use it. lol. But it would be fun to have for WO, so others could.

djb
10th February 2009, 05:55 AM
yes a purpose made controller.... for me wider with bigger airbrakes for more detailed control ,and no sticks !
any modders listening?

Hmmm, sounds a lot like a neggie eh?

blackwiggle
10th February 2009, 02:39 PM
I had one of these [Sony SCPH-1110 dual flight stick controller] that was in the process of being modded for WOHD.

Here's a guy playing Armoured Core with one on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDRyYXz3q8o

Have a look at the sticks,there are so many ways you can rewire these things.

You can switch in between analog and digital steering by a switch on the base in it's unaltered form.

But the mod that was being done to it was to have both analog and digital working at the same time,[same as the now standard controller]
We had rewired it so that the black toggle switch that is on the right stick [would normally be used for weapon selection] was wired as a D-Pad.

Why you might ask.

Easy precise analog steering with the sticks and very easy barrel rolls by the flick of the right thumb with the modded toggle switch.

It all came to a unfortunate death for my stick though:frown:

While on a break from fine tuning it in my mates garage,his kids were throwing a tennis ball around,it went into the garage, rapidly followed by 45kg of overweight Labrador who just jumped up and smashed straight into it.

Got to see if I can source another one.

MR-RICO84
12th February 2009, 01:01 AM
I started playing wipeout with the HD release (Cheers Subtotal) Motion control
is awesome. The satisfaction you get from mastering it is huge. I do think it would be cool if there where symbols denoted for how each person was playing it.

blackwiggle
12th February 2009, 02:13 AM
You can usually tell if somebody is using it online by how they are smashing into the walls or how many times you lap them :lol

I tried using full MC again the other day and I just can't seem to get the craft to turn anywhere near quickly enough,and that was on flash speed.

I'd love to see a Video on Youtube of somebody that had mastered it well enough to race competitively at Phantom speed.
I won't hold my breath for that to appear.

MR-RICO84
13th February 2009, 02:35 AM
oops post removed by me as did not realise thread was so long (comment would not have made sense) sorry

subtotal
30th March 2009, 02:15 PM
I'd love to see a Video on Youtube of somebody that had mastered it well enough to race competitively at Phantom speed.
I won't hold my breath for that to appear.

well blackwiggle i hope you didnt hold your breath ,

here it is

http://www.wegame.com/watch/motion_control_for_wipeout_HD/

its low res

AnErare
30th March 2009, 02:26 PM
subtotal, wegame is saying there are troubles loading the video and your user page shows 0 video's. Something has gone wrong :/

edit: low res working fine indeed :)

That looks pretty tiring to your wrists due to the extra strain it appears to impose on the thumbs and index fingers. I'm guessing it's Sol2 fwd, those long sharp turns look like taking a roller coaster :D

Trystano
3rd April 2009, 09:46 AM
It's a pity that Sony never released the originally planned PS3-Controller which was quite big, and looked pretty cool, like a boomerang. This controller would have surely been perfect for motion control...

Lets be honest, that controller was shocking :)

Lance
3rd April 2009, 10:59 PM
I quite liked the boomerang controller shape.

Mu5
5th April 2009, 04:02 AM
The prefect controller for WOHD would be. Does anyone remember the old Arcade game Star Wars? The trench run, it was a wire frame 3D game. Way back when. They had a sit down version. Now the control system on that was kind of a yoke. It was a steering type wheel, yet had two grips mounted on each side. It could turn like a wheel, but the grips could be tilted back, and tilted forward. But the whole thing could be turned like a steering wheel left or right.

Yes!! I was thinking about that type of control system for wipeout in the summer, when I was playing F-Zero AX in the arcade on holiday in Spain :D It would rock! :D