PDA

View Full Version : Zone Mode Agenda

Scruffem
25th January 2009, 04:41 PM
I was wondering what zoning is like for other pilots on their favorite tracks... When do you guys start smashing into stuff and when do you feel like you're going to fall asleep because sub-venom is so slow? I included mine as an example; feel free to post your Zone agendas!

Track: Moa Therma White

Zones 1-10
Sleeping/ Coma, Getting PO'd or restarting if I take damage
Zones 10-22
Avoiding the walls like the plague, don't want to mess up here...
Zones 22-35
Speed begins to get interesting, Damage here happens sometimes, but it is accepted.
Zones 35-55
Speed gets more and more exciting, damage taken can be recovered through some perfect zoning. Towards the end of this block, wall scraping and hitting is more prevalent, but I adjust to the high speeds from experience on this track. Perfect laps are still happening often, but more so towards the beginning of this block...
Zones 55-70
Damage starts to take its toll on the ship. A negative trend in its energy is noticeable as I react to the turns in the track through memory. Perfect laps are not nearly as common, but are possible...
Zones 70-80
Damage takes energy down into dangerous levels. Perfect laps are highly unlikely and I get used to smashing into walls uncontrollably and teleporting outside of the track on that damn first turn. Death usually occurs earlier in this stage.
Zones 80+
I've only succeeded in getting to Zone 80 once, but the trial was too imperfect to stay long on my record tables. If you can get well into this mark you must be a jedi or something...

AnErare
1st February 2009, 11:24 PM
Nice layout.

My marks differ from track to track, yours should too, the tracks differ too much not to. Try setting a goal of making it perfectly into zen on all tracks first, you'll notice it'll improve your overall skills.

I do agree on the Jedi reflexes though from 80 and up. It becomes frighteningly fast! Keep in mind top pilots do perfect zones and laps in zones 70+ and 80+ as well ;P

Xavier
2nd February 2009, 02:03 PM
You're much better than I am, Scruffem. I don't think I've ever been past Zone 40 on anything, though I have reached "Zen" on occasion (is that Zone 35?).

I found Zone to be much less challenging in Pulse compared to Pure... maybe I had just improved (Pure was my first extensively-played WO game), but Pulse didn't seem to demand much of you. Only Zone 25 or so for the gold? So I never developed the skill of driving well past Zone 30 or thereabouts.

In Pulse when going for that last Zone medal, I used to try making unnecessarily-wide turns, and avoid driving in a straight line, while still not hitting any walls. This way I could slow the ship down and get more zones out of fewer laps. Anything to finally get that gold!

I think the highest Zone at which I'd completed a perfect lap was around 18 or somewhere near there. And I think 3 perfect laps in a row to start the race is my personal record. Both of these were set on Moa Therma; this one seems like the easiest course for Zone.

Seraph
5th February 2009, 09:26 PM
Nice one Scruffem!

I haven't been on zone too much until yesterday when I played just for fun and got stuck trying to improve my flying skills! So...

Moa Therma White

I'm still on this track cause I really like it! It's not too hard and I think is suitable for begginers.

Zone 1 - 10
Same as taking a walk... Boring... Perfect laps all the time.

Zone 11 - 20
I guess it's more interesting than venom :P Perfect laps mostly.

Zone 21 - 30
The speed is much faster! I really enjoy it! Perfect laps occassionaly but not always...

Zone 31 - 40
I keep hitting on the walls from zone 35 and on. Have reached zone 45... And I'm still trying... I guess I should keep practicing! Also I would like to note that I too turn or corner using memory and not my reflexes but I guess it'll be better to use both if you know what I mean. I'll try to get better and catch up with you all!

Xavier
6th February 2009, 02:30 PM
I tried some Zoning in Pure, with a new file, just to see if it really was as hard as I remembered, and it isn't. I came within two zones of having cleared all four Zone events on the first try -- the last one, with that dastardly gap area that you have to land on perfectly, really stuck it to me!

Now I think it's Fusion that's the "hard" Zone mode, with Pulse and Pure being more reasonable. I'm playing Fusion a lot these days, and still haven't managed to reach Zone 30 on Mandrashee (the second event). Fusion seems to start you off at a much faster speed than the two portable games.

What view do all of you use for Zone? I'd been using "Far", but experimented with "Ship" and seemed to do OK. Does one view demand better reactions than another?

Harvai
8th February 2009, 10:40 AM
I agree that Fusion has the harder Zone mode. I can hardly make zone 20 without pin-balling around.

On the other had, I'm slightly better at Pulse. I can get to around zones 25-30 on most tracks before things start to go awry. Best on Moa Therma White to date is 38.

Seraph
9th February 2009, 04:56 PM
Had some more practice and today I achieved zone 52 Moa Therma white, with a bit of difficulty, but It's a breakthrough anyway. Also zone 38 - 39 in talon's junction white and black and arc prime wht/blk.:g

LG65
6th March 2009, 02:40 AM
Man! It's been forever since I played Zone mode in Pulse. But... when I have the agenda up and ready, I'll put it up.

Time to hit the Zone slopes for me later!

djKyoto
6th March 2009, 03:42 AM
Analpha Pass

Zone 0-15. All Perfect laps, Barrel roll's when possible, chill out and relax to the music. Restart if not clean.
Zone 16-26. Basically the same, but faster.
Zone 27-34. Should be clean, may tap the wall one or twice
Zone 35-41. Yeah, I have to concertate now. BR's reduced if health not maxed.
Zone 42-49. Making a few mistakes now, should till be around 100 health tho. BR's reduced.
Zone 50-59. No BR's pretty much from here, making more mistakes. Should still be near max health due to perfect Zones.
Zone 60-74. Where I start to fall apart. Dark track doesn't help. Perfect Zones very hard to achieve at this point. Health goes down a lot here.
Zone 75+. Just a matter of time before certain doom. Perfect zones basically impossible. Health would have already been low entering this zone, if I had made it this far.

AnErare
7th March 2009, 10:55 AM
Uh Kyoto, that's a nice breakdown :)

But you've posted it in a Pulse thread, not HD ;p

NightArh
22nd July 2009, 08:01 PM
Newbie needs help :nod What is the rate of shield restoring? How many points I will get if I make a PL? In what way are zone points calculated? :robot

q_dmc12
22nd July 2009, 08:39 PM
I think its 30 points for a perfect lap

AnErare
3rd August 2009, 06:19 PM
That information has already been posted I'm sure but here goes:

Perfect zone: 1000 point
perfect lap: 2000 points
overall zone coverage is rewarded as well but how is unclear to me.

Energy is restored with perfect zones, not with perfect laps. The rate is 10% per perfect zone I think, not sure about that one either. And avoid barrel rolls. They are not rewarded with points in Pulse, only in HD, but they drain 15% energy as usual.

MrSmadSmartAlex
3rd August 2009, 09:02 PM
Actually, barrel rolls do give you 1000 points each.....
....but only on Basilico White:lol! Strange but true.

edit: sorry to correct you again, but I think BRs drain only 8% shield in Pulse, 15% in Pure and HD.;)

NightArh
3rd August 2009, 10:07 PM
BR's were designed only for Basilico W by SL, but pilots founded a way to make them on other tracks ;) Thanks for information honored wipeout gurus!

AnErare
6th August 2009, 07:15 AM
Actually, barrel rolls do give you 1000 points each.....
....but only on Basilico White:lol! Strange but true.

edit: sorry to correct you again, but I think BRs drain only 8% shield in Pulse, 15% in Pure and HD.;)

That is incorrect. I of course checked, you are right about the shield. Somehow that number didn't surprise me. I must have secretly known it ;)

But the BR's are not rewarded, not even on Basilico.

MrSmadSmartAlex
6th August 2009, 01:13 PM
:lol! I had to test it again, after you said that no BRs at all are rewarded, and yes, you're correct. What was happening on Basilico White for me was that every time I was checking, I'd land after a BR exactly as I hit a perfect zone (1000 point reward), and of course the current zone is in the opposite corner of the screen to the score, so I never noticed.:paperbag
So, sorry for the misinformation.;)

Also, anybody else noticed that the speed pad before the drop on Basilico White is invisible in zone mode? It still speeds you up and gives you the points, but just isn't there.:?

AnErare
7th August 2009, 07:44 AM
Yes!

And to make matters more futile, the ships actually sink through the track there ;) It's as if you are flying a subliminal track and see a holographic illusion. But you can do that on Arc Prime on the open bridge as well :)

Lini-R
11th August 2009, 03:16 PM
Im ok at zone mode on Pure and Pulse. For some odd reason I just love speeding down De-Konstruct Black usually getting into zones 70 ish (on a good day). Heres how I feel about the zones:

0-15
Boring, slow, usually never cocks up. If I do, I usually feel like I shouldnt be playing WipEout.
15-25
Now I get interested, I sometimes make a slight mistake but it's usually still perfect laps
25-35
A lil faster, usually might hit the odd corner or two, perfect laps start to stop roughly around here.
35-50
Getting hard now, hopefully I keep the shield level above 50%
50 or More
Good luck to me :P

Alexander
4th September 2009, 02:12 PM
Wow, I still seem to have a lot left to learn!

I usually go boom at around zone 25, but I am still new to Pulse with only a few hours of game time. And currently I have only zoned in the grid mode while I am pursuing to unlock everything.

At the slowest speeds its toooo slow tho, Rapier is where my current challenges lie :).

Chill
4th September 2009, 09:24 PM
Daaaamn scruffem! I think the furthest I've made it was to the early 50s, 60s if I got horribly lucky once...

I'm currently working on a custom grid full of all the zones from first to last, with the grids in the shape of a sideways S, so that you can't get to one without beating its only previous. And I set the goal as 50 on all of them (the max it offers). I call it ZONEMASTER! I have about 3 grids unlocked on it... Lol!

Anyway, this is usually me:

Zone 1-20: no problems what-so-ever

Zone 20-25: requires max out-put of my sub-concious.

Zone 25-35: have to be fully aware and a little witty, or else I plunge into all track walls.

Zone 35-40: starting to get stressed out and pissed off.

Zone 40-45: hands are all stressed and sore, and eyes are fully open and extremely cautious.

Zone 45-50: God please let me make this! / F*€# now I've got to start all over again!

Zone 50+: pretty much non-existent, or else I'm GOD concerning my standards...