PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout XL in Win2k

Chickenzilla
21st September 2002, 07:20 PM
Greetings all,
I just went out and rescued a copy of Wipeout XL for PC, probably my favorite racing game ever (yes, I own Quantum Redshift), from the bargain bin. In a hurried excitement, I take it home, pop it in, choose Direct3D and English, and it comes up saying that it needs Windows 95 to run. Well, major bummer, there. So I have a Windows 98 computer handy...I pop it in there, it will install, but when I try to run it, it claims to be unable to find the CD. So I copy the entire CD to my hard drive under Win2k, take the installed directory from the Win98 machine and copy it to my Win2k computer, and steal all of the registry keys it made as well. Try to run it, still no CD found. Then I go on MegaGames and find some cracks. Well, I get it to stop asking for the CD, but it shows only the very first startup screen, and then quits to Windows. Anyone else ever try this? Any suggestions?

Lance
22nd September 2002, 01:13 AM
hi cz, welcome to the forums. another floridian. amazing how long random chance took to make that happen.

i just run a version of xl that i dled from the net; i don't have a CD and the game never looks for one. i just have win98, presumably the original edition, that was apparently installed on my computer on september 14, 1999, if that makes it 1st ed.

i've only had one game that said it couldn't find the disk, but i was never able to make it work. but then i'm not a software engineer. :)

sorry i can't be more help

SteadVex
7th June 2003, 02:03 AM
hrmmm, i have wipeout 2097 and 2k and as long as u have sp2 or higher u can install it

just do this

click start, then run, then type in the following or copy n paste whatever :P
regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll

and you should see a box saying something registered and succeded, well now make a shortcut to the launcher.exe file on the cd, and right click on the shortcut, there should now be a new tab called compability, select 95 or 98, and then click ok, it should now install, (it worked for me anyways) hope this helps someone! i realise this may be a bit late, but you never know, also i used powerstrip to slow the program down to be playable..*feeling too geeky for own good*

Lance
7th June 2003, 03:57 AM
geekdom is good. without geekdom we wouldn't know how to do anything.

uhoh. we been razzed. hm.... how to retaliate.. how to retal.. aha! [heheheh] maybe you shoulda copy-and-pasted ^compatibility^ and... uh.... ^succeeded^.

so there

:P

but really, thanks for the info. and welcome to the wz :)

SteadVex
7th June 2003, 12:13 PM

is there ever gonna be a new wipeout game on the pc? just out of interest :roll:

SteadVex
7th June 2003, 12:18 PM
ops, i must of misread that thing, i had the same problem as well with it quiting to the desktop in 2k, not sure if its in anything else, but its directx9, drove me insane i tried all sorts of cd patches and they did nothing

use DirectX Eradicator 1.09 @ www.freewebz.com/firecat

to uninstall it and put which puts the default directx on ur computer that came with windows (btw u need the windows cd for this), i haven't installed 8.1 yet, but i'm sure i didn't have trouble with this before, i hope this doesn't mean in order to play old games we can't play new games from now on? :(

SteadVex
7th June 2003, 02:18 PM
doesn't work with direct x 8.1 either :( i think its time to start bitching at ms about this :P

i'm sure i'm on my own on this, but o'well:P

Lance
7th June 2003, 03:14 PM
i'm using 6.1 on my antique 500 celeron with 98SE, running in ramp emulation at 512 pixels wide. seems to give the same pace as the console version. i can get about the right pace using the agp board with 1024 pixels wide, with less than that, the pace is too much faster than it's supposed to be with vector feisar running like rapier or phantom, unfortunately the picture is so dark with the accelerator that i can hardly see anything. same goes for rgb mode. the thrust trails look spectacular though.

a new WO for PC? that question has been asked a lot; but the answer is always 'no, not bloody likely'. :(
the only recent computer version is WOXL for the Mac. came out last year

SteadVex
7th June 2003, 04:26 PM
hrmm, well i said that method using powerstrip somewhere, but on some corners you enter it,then leave it without even realising you took it apart from your sideways with a thing flashing wrong way :(

powerstrip also lets you create colour profiles, i use it and change the gamma to about 3 and find it looks much better :)

i don't understand, how is anyone getting ramp emulation working? mines set to direct 3d hal, no option to change, i thought only the demo let you do software? prahaps its difference between the 2097/xl versions?

ah well nevermind, i just hope another wipeout type game is made for the pc, i liked rollcage but its definatly not the same, and how hte hell u do u email micrsoft about a problem with direct x? after 20 minutes of looking thru there 'easy to use support site' i got totally confused and needed anger managment classes :|

:roll: