PDA

View Full Version : ARGH!

Status
13th February 2002, 02:50 AM
I've been messing with NTSC/Vector/TT Porto Kora a bit lately, working towards my ultimate goal of being able to break the 1:00:00 mark. After a couple hours straight practice, I FINALLY found that little extra bit to shave a second off my lap time, and finished the time trial with - get this - an even 1:00:00. ARGH! One-frikkin'-one hundreth of a second away from my goal.

Damn.

Anybody else have one of those 'close but no cigar' moments?

Wiseman
13th February 2002, 05:37 AM
Well why don't you put it on the tables then? :wink:

Give me good incentive to have a go at it again.

I know I can get below 1:00, like you I came VERY close to it once, but in a slightly different fashion.

One race I made, I got a 0:31.something second 1st lap, but my second lap kinda stunk.

Then, on the next friggin race, I got a 0:28.something second 2nd lap race time....

Both of these were close to the same as my lap records I made for my current 1:00.36 race record, but the milliseconds were slightly less to put it just below a minute....

If only they had been together! :lol

Lance
13th February 2002, 06:25 AM
i just looked at the PK TT tables; there are 3 PAL people mixed in with our times. the current listed fastest NTSC lap is for G [Wiseman] at 28.80. more than a second faster than me. damned impressive, G-man. :smile:

infoxicated
13th February 2002, 08:57 AM
Can you tell me the names of the PAL folk, Lance and I can have them removed from the NTSC table :smile:

Wiseman
13th February 2002, 09:50 AM
Well, I'm not Lance, but I can get them for you! :wink:

I'm just going to go ahead and post the country they're from too, just in case one of them does indeed use NTSC, and I just didn't know it.

graham hutchison -- United Kingdom
Dribble -- Australia
Sheena mckenzie -- Australia
Max Damage -- Australia
pavel ramirez -- Sweden
MCL Arndt -- Germany
Gary Gould -- United Kingdom
Assegai pilot1 -- Australia

Heh, well what do you know, they're mostly from UK and Aust., 2 places which I know use PAL, guess I didn't need to "copy'n'paste" the countries in as well, oh well. (LOL)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiseman on 2002-02-13 10:52 ]</font>

Hyper Shadow
13th February 2002, 09:51 AM
The most annoying "near miss" moment I had is getting third on the Terminal Rapier SR and only being around 3 tenths off the top, then not being able to match it ever again!!!!

Wiseman
13th February 2002, 10:03 AM
And I hate to say it, but there's this guy on Porta Kora TT Venom that has a kinda questionable lap time:

Jed wolenczak -- USA -- Auricom Ind. -- 0:28:20

Now Jay and me both busted our @$$3$ just to get 0:29.27 and 0:28.80, respectively, with an Icaras in our hands, and then this guy bests us with an Auricom?

And the funnier thing is that there's no best race record from this guy, just that lap time.

Maybe you should e-mail him and ask him about it?

I mean, maybe he messed up and accidentily entered his times wrong or something, I think quite a few of us around here have done that. (LOL)

infoxicated
13th February 2002, 12:46 PM
Will do.

There's no way that can be done with an Auricom.

AmishRobot
13th February 2002, 01:13 PM
Just out of curiosity, are you sure that some of those people aren't running NTSC systems? I imagine importing got to be fairly big with the PSX, with euro PAL players getting screwed on release dates all the time...

And here's a thought: What does playing a NTSC game on a modded PAL system do to one's times?

I don't have a Vector time up yet for Porta Kora TT. I'll have to check tonight and see where I stand! :smile:

Status, even if you haven't broken 1.00.00 yet, that'll still put you at the top of the tables. Post, man! Post! :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AmishRobot on 2002-02-13 14:19 ]</font>

Lance
13th February 2002, 03:38 PM
:smile: when i said 3, i was only talking about PK vector TT. obviously Wiseman has gone the extra distance to look up more! i just went to bed after posting that.

even if Wolenczak's time were correct, obviously the Auricom wasnt used for it. but the lack of several other times for that pilot makes the time suspect also.

i think my biggest frustration was when i set what was apparently [allowing for any possible speed difference between pal and ntsc] the fastest time ever done for vector class single race at Terminal, then a day or two later to have that time bested by my arch-rival. [ahem, Jay 'Task'] sigh, it looked like my time was so fast that it would take quite a while to beat, but alas, no!

aahh, sheena mckenzie, fond memories. her sr time at Porto Kora was the one i beat to achieve my first top ten time. sorry, sheena.

Status
13th February 2002, 03:47 PM
As much as I'd like to post my even minute, I can't in good concience...

Because I got 0:59:50 this morning. :grin:

My heart was going about a mile a minute going in to the last corner when I realized I had a damn good shot at breaking a minute.

I still think there's a little more time to shave off if I use scrapes, but I think I'm gonna work on some other tracks for a while. :smile:

Lance
13th February 2002, 07:48 PM
congratulations!

[gRrrrrrrr]

:smile:

AmishRobot
13th February 2002, 11:00 PM
Nice one!

It's starting to sound like a bit of a challenge, no? :grin:

Update:
Closing in! I'm at 1.00.77!
heheh... :cool:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AmishRobot on 2002-02-14 01:03 ]</font>

Wiseman
14th February 2002, 05:05 AM
I still think there's a little more time to shave off if I use scrapesShoot dude, if I used that, coupled with the turbo start, then I could get below 56 sec fairly easily.

Hyper Shadow
14th February 2002, 01:37 PM
I think a challenge should be put up for this 'under a minute' thing. It should be interesting to see who could do it???

P.S. Concerning the odd NTSC/PAL times, if these people are imagrants or perhaps imported an NTSC PSX when it was first released then that could explain it. The Country next to there names is where they are living, not where they or indeed there PSX comes from. It will be a tough one that to investigate.

Lance
14th February 2002, 03:53 PM
agh, i tried running PK last night. couldnt quite reach my old time even. i am just a sad washed-up old pilot. i should retire. [tears out hair and sobs] farewell, my beloved wip3out. [sniffle]
[hobbles slowly off into the sunset]

:wink:

hey! wait a minute! it's not quite even afternoon here!

vincoof
14th February 2002, 07:01 PM
And talking about even times, you should look at your posting date, Amish Robot. A wonderful exact midnight :smile:

If you'd like to set up the challenge, feel free to post it in the forum 'The Arena'. But most of you already knows that :wink:

science
14th February 2002, 07:01 PM
if you havent played in awhile then its to be expected. back when i was going for the manortop phantom times, i used to race a few seconds under 2minutes, every single race. now i pick up the controller and a 2:02xx is a good time. im constantly cursing at my ghost ships on all of the tracks because im so out of practice.

Eins2001
10th July 2002, 06:35 AM
Man, looking at all these times makes me feel sucky! I can't BEGIN to come close to these times! :x

Lance
10th July 2002, 07:49 PM
ya gotta use an icaras on some of those tracks in the slower classes, i'm tellin ya. :D

assegai just won't make it unless you're on twisty tracks and/or fast classes. the icaras gets so much longer a sustained speed boost from the blue pads and has so much higher a top speed that it's unbeatable on many circuits.

you can get a lot faster with practice and experimenting on where to use the hyperthrust. i'm far from the hottest pilot around and i cut 24 seconds from one of my rapierclass times on one of the tracks. [and still have a long way to go]

Vasudeva
11th July 2002, 06:59 AM
Well, I had always thought that I was a rather okay pilot, judging from my performances at the SE-tables (usually top 10 or top 5). However, recently I gave in my PK times from W3, and -- gasp -- I have come to realise that I actually do really stink at Vector. Perhaps I should revise my flying strategies. Woe.

V.